PDA

View Full Version : How long does hair have to be before it is considered long?

redneckprincess
May 14th, 2009, 11:19 AM
I know to diffrent people that would be diffrent leingths but I just wonder from a group of (several not all) extreamly long haired women, how long does my (or someone elses) hair have to be before it can be considered LONG by myself or others.:cool:

Natalia
May 14th, 2009, 11:28 AM
For me (im not extreemly long by any means :( ) id say anything nearing hip would start being considerd long. Just my 2 cents :)

Natalia

Heavenly Locks
May 14th, 2009, 11:31 AM
According to the 'rest' of the world, BSL is long...just google 'long hair styles' ;)

For me personally, I won't feel like my hair is LONG until it is at least waist...hip is even better. Extreme length, to me, is past TBL and DAYUM! is past fingertip :bigeyes:

lora410
May 14th, 2009, 11:34 AM
For me waist seems long.

CindyLea1
May 14th, 2009, 11:36 AM
For me my hair will be long again when I have to move it to tuck in my shirts. I guess that would make it waist.

On others, I think long hair starts about mid back.

Funny how that works, but we have a zillion long haired folks around here. And a high native american population, and it seems the majority of them (both genders) grow their hair long.

Darian Moone
May 14th, 2009, 11:38 AM
I'd second the notion that BSL is considered long by today's society. For me, once I get to waist I feel that my hair is long as that's when it starts to get in the way when worn. Anything hip or longer would be considered very long by society in general as it is not seen that often any more. Around here we are so used to hair of incredible lengths that we often forget to appreciate our "long" hair until we reach classic, etc., but in reality, BSL or longer is LONG to the rest of the world (and we DO live in the rest of the world just like everyone else!) :)

vamq
May 14th, 2009, 11:39 AM
I have waist length hair, and I still think it's short.
Buttlength hair is long imo

But that's different for a lot of other people:P

Aisha25
May 14th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Classic and beyond is long to me. Anything below knee is really long.

MsBubbles
May 14th, 2009, 11:48 AM
If I were describing someone's hair to somebody else, I'd call anything from BSL onwards long. Although in the news media they describe missing women as having 'long hair' when it's just shoulder-length.

Feye
May 14th, 2009, 11:55 AM
I'd also describe anything BSL+ as long. Hair beyond waist would be "really long" to me.

florenonite
May 14th, 2009, 11:58 AM
If I were describing someone's hair to somebody else, I'd call anything from BSL onwards long. Although in the news media they describe missing women as having 'long hair' when it's just shoulder-length.

shoulder-length?! That's short to me, possibly because it's the shortest my hair's ever been.

To the general population, APL or BSL is "long", though I don't know if this applies in my age group where that sort of length is the norm. On myself, it won't feel long till I get to waist; I'm about two inches short right now so my hair still feels short.

I tend to see girls around here though with BSL/midback hair and think "her hair's so long" before realising that my hair's at least the same length! So on others midback probably constitutes long to me.

wintersun99
May 14th, 2009, 11:59 AM
I'd also describe anything BSL+ as long. Hair beyond waist would be "really long" to me.

This is what I was going to say...

Euphony
May 14th, 2009, 11:59 AM
For average society I think apl and longer is long.

For me personally on me, anything longer than my hair currently (whenever that is) is long...in other words my hair may never be 'long' to me.

For me personally on others, waist and longer is long.

redneckprincess
May 14th, 2009, 12:00 PM
I have waist length hair, and I still think it's short.
Buttlength hair is long imo

But that's different for a lot of other people:P I absoutly LOVE your siggy hair pic!! ♥

Heavenly Locks
May 14th, 2009, 12:01 PM
*ignore* I was playing with smilies and hit enter...oops!

*hides behind couch*

redneckprincess
May 14th, 2009, 12:07 PM
I have found some old pictures of me and thought "why didnt I realize my hair was so long at the time" when it was only APL, lol but I suppose that would be long on me because I have never had my hair longer then that without the help of extentions

GeoJ
May 14th, 2009, 12:08 PM
On myself I don't feel like my hair is long if it is not at least tail-bone length. I cut back to hip-bone length once and it felt like 'medium length', not long but not short either.

On others, about waist length would count as long.

:)

DarkChocolate
May 14th, 2009, 12:16 PM
I consider anything waist plus long.

Fethenwen
May 14th, 2009, 12:23 PM
I'd say, when hair is APL length it's long enough to be called long instead of short or medium.

MsBubbles
May 14th, 2009, 12:27 PM
shoulder-length?! That's short to me, possibly because it's the shortest my hair's ever been.

I agree. When I heard the missing person's description I was incredulous after seeing how short her hair was, and saddened that women's hair in general must be so short these days for people to describe shoulder length as 'long' (but not as sad of course as the girl being missing to start with).

Longhairpixie
May 14th, 2009, 12:33 PM
I think anything below BSL is long in our U.S. society

Heidi_234
May 14th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Any length looks longer than it feels. So even as LHCer I see thick midback and think to myself "oh wow how long" when my hair brushing hip. :shrug: Many do feel a length looked longer on other before they reached it themselves. As for 'others', it depends on the others. Where I live it's very common to see girls in their early 20s with waist, hip and even tb length hair. It is what considered long here though, not BSL.

chrissy-b
May 14th, 2009, 12:35 PM
My definition of long has changed since I've been here. I used to think hip length was long, but now I consider classic on the short end of long hair.

BajanGal
May 14th, 2009, 12:38 PM
I think APL or longer could be considered long...

ravenreed
May 14th, 2009, 12:46 PM
I don't think of my hair as that long even though when I see someone else at the same length I do. It is kinda weird. I have thought, "I wish my hair was that long... oh wait, it is!"

I start thinking of someone as having long hair around bs. Waist seems standard long. I think of classic as really long, and I have yet to see someone with thigh or longer in person. Although, I recently saw a sweet braid on an abuelita (little grandmother- and I hope I spelled it right) that was down below her bum. I wondered what it looked like down.

SimplyViki
May 14th, 2009, 12:54 PM
I'm just starting to feel long again, at waist. My mom has always had longer hair than me, so I think until I'm longer than her, I'll never feel "really" long, LOL. Her hair hovers somewhere around tailbone, I think.

Calista
May 14th, 2009, 12:55 PM
To me all-one-length hair will look long at a shorter length than layered hair. I would call shoulder-length hair "long" if it is all one length. Maybe it has to do with being able to put it up. :ponder:

Jules diamond
May 14th, 2009, 01:19 PM
I think APL is when your hair crosses over from medium length to long. But I do think there's a difference between having long hair and being a longhair. To me you become a longhair at waist, I think this is probably because anything above that is trendy style lengths. At around waist it becomes more of your own thing- just to me though!

DragonLady
May 14th, 2009, 01:20 PM
My hair is fast-approaching classic, but it's still "short" to me. Probably because my goal is still so far away. :(

spidermom
May 14th, 2009, 01:41 PM
For me, as my length passed waist and around the time it got to hip length, it finally felt satisfyingly long. However, I declared myself to have long hair at APL (ArmPit Length).

For other people, shoulder length is long.

jel
May 14th, 2009, 01:43 PM
I would say that BSL is long - on other people. On me, I didn't feel I had long hair until I passed waist...

heidihug
May 14th, 2009, 01:50 PM
When talking to people and looking at hair pics on LHC, I think of hair as getting long when it is waist and longer.

When I am talking to someone not in the long hair community, for instance, not a member of LHC, I refer to people with BSL hair as "long". For instance, "You know Mary, that woman in Billing who has the long brown hair?" That's the longest most anybody will grow their hair here, so I can justifiably call it long without anyone blinking an eye.*

*Few people I know actually are aware of how long my hair is, as I almost never wear it down. Most, if they saw it, would think of my hair as being incredibly long. I have not seen anyone around where I live and work with hair as long as mine in over a year, I think.

Melisande
May 14th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Like many others, I have different standards for my own and for other peoples' hair ;-)

On others, waist plus is long.

On myself, I always thought: when I'll have hip, it'll be long.

Well, it's hip now but - of course it only rarely feels long to me. Longish, okay, but not really long.

My next target length is tailbone. I WILL feel it's long, then.

In general society? Shoulderblades plus is considered long. Waist is really really long. Hip plus is freakishly long. Everything else is stuff for the Guinness book of records.

Locksmith
May 14th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Mid-back length is when it starts to count as "long" for me. :)

AmyJorgensen
May 14th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I'll vote waist.

Kiraela
May 14th, 2009, 04:14 PM
To me, waist is starting to look long. Hip is definately long.

Citrine
May 14th, 2009, 04:21 PM
I have to agree that personally hair doesn't seem long until waist length, but for general society BSL is long.
I'm just starting to brush BSL and have recieved a lot more comments on how my hair is "long" now, or how I'm letting it get long. To me though, it barely seems long at all :confused:

GlennaGirl
May 14th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Covering-the-boobs length. (In fact, I'm seriously considering changing my goal to CTBL.**) (**Ha ha, I just did.)

This may be unfair of me, though, as some boobs are bigger than others and therefore, the hair has farther to travel, hence taking more time to grow.

But that's usually when I consider hair "long". Until then, I call it "medium" (if it's at the top line of the shoulders or longer).

Orchid_28
May 14th, 2009, 05:00 PM
For me...hair is long when it is past my waist. Thats the longest I will go.

littlemiss
May 14th, 2009, 05:02 PM
For me hip and beyond is long!!

RavennaNight
May 14th, 2009, 05:04 PM
I am now at waist. I know to others this is perceived as long, but to me it feels short. I think it may have to do with my height, 5'10," taller in my boots.

kam984420
May 14th, 2009, 05:19 PM
To me hair is long when its waist length or longer.:)

SimplyLonghair
May 14th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Covering-the-boobs length. (In fact, I'm seriously considering changing my goal to CTBL.**) (**Ha ha, I just did.)

This may be unfair of me, though, as some boobs are bigger than others and therefore, the hair has farther to travel, hence taking more time to grow.

But that's usually when I consider hair "long". Until then, I call it "medium" (if it's at the top line of the shoulders or longer).
GlennaGirl!!!! OMG I have tb length hair and it still doesn't cover!!!!!!!! So it is as a thought, I just don't have long hair yet! :rollin:

GlennaGirl
May 14th, 2009, 05:36 PM
GlennaGirl!!!! OMG I have tb length hair and it still doesn't cover!!!!!!!! So it is as a thought, I just don't have long hair yet! :rollin:

Holy Maidenform, SimplyLongHair, in that case you have other assets that I am sure more than make up for non-CTBL hair!!

RavennaNight
May 14th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Holy Maidenform, SimplyLongHair, in that case you have other assets that I am sure more than make up for non-CTBL hair!!

:laugh: holy maidenform. That was great.

joyellen
May 14th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Before I started hanging around here, I considered BSL to be pretty long. Now hair doesn't really look "long" to me until it reaches waist. It seems that looking at all the pictures of extremely long hair on LHC has skewed my perception of what's considered long hair.

BetterInBlue
May 14th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Anything below the shoulders is my definition of long.

windinherhair
May 14th, 2009, 06:52 PM
I think anything past shoulder people can consider to be long.

Sometimes after I get a trim, I have told my husband "My hair feels short!" which of course it isn't... my perspective on "long" hair can be different since mine is already long to a lot of people. I can feel like my hair is "short" after seeing some of the other people on this forum with hair longer than mine. :)

MrsGuther
May 14th, 2009, 06:53 PM
I personally consider a woman's hair to be "long" when it falls about waist length or longer. I am just a few months away from being at my "usual" length of hair, that is to say, I will be about back at waist length again by the end of this year.
Hair stylists and popular culture tend to categorize women with APL or longer as having "long" hair.

jojo
May 14th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Long for me is getting there at BSL, proper long is waist, hip length is getting to longity long and classic is just extremely long and then you have ankle which I don't think my hair would grow too, now that is dreamingly long!

DragonLady
May 14th, 2009, 10:22 PM
dreamingly long

Love it! "My goal is dreamingly long" sounds almost surreal and other-wordly. I think that's what I'll tell people from now on when they ask how come I haven't cut it off or how much further I'm gonna let it grow. :)

JamieLeigh
May 15th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Mine is almost 4 feet long, and I still don't consider it to be "long". I think being at LHC changes your view of what is "long". Most of the people in real life who see my hair do the whole jaw on the floor staring thing, but they're not used to seeing hair this long. It's just a matter of perception; if you're used to seeing BSL and shorter, then you'll consider it to be "long" at a relatively short length. But if you see knee+ length every day, you'll think the more extreme lengths are "long". :)

Monsterkitti
May 15th, 2009, 09:27 AM
I think waist is starting to get long and anything from TBL onwards is really long.

I think my sisters hair always looks long though and shes not quite at waist but mine which is about the same length feels so short still :)

Hehe I like the idea of dreamingly long hair :D

aksown
May 15th, 2009, 09:59 AM
I think it's a "glass half-empty" thing. Hair length perception depends on how a person views hair. On a person growing to terminal, any length is going to seem short but if you are counting the days till you can have your six inch bob razored to a three inch pixie then shoulder length seems ridiculously long. For myself, (growing to terminal, almost to waist) I have a hard time perceiving my own length but notice it on other women so I think waist length is approaching longness. :twocents:

Forever_Sophie
May 15th, 2009, 10:08 AM
For me, long = 3 or 4" or so past shoulders. Once it's past "shoulder length," it's long in my books ;)

florenonite
May 15th, 2009, 11:40 AM
I think APL is when your hair crosses over from medium length to long. But I do think there's a difference between having long hair and being a longhair. To me you become a longhair at waist, I think this is probably because anything above that is trendy style lengths. At around waist it becomes more of your own thing- just to me though!

I have a different idea of being a longhair. To me, being a longhair is about the attitude, the commitment to growing or maintaining long and healthy hair. Hence, everyone on this forum is a longhair, even if we don't all have long hair.

I'm so close to covering-the-boobs-length right now. I would be there if my boobs hadn't decided to have a growth spurt the summer before I came to uni :mad:

Long for me is getting there at BSL, proper long is waist, hip length is getting to longity long and classic is just extremely long and then you have ankle which I don't think my hair would grow too, now that is dreamingly long!

"longity long", I love it!

rose_in_bloom
May 15th, 2009, 02:23 PM
To me, waist is when it starts to get "long". APL to BSL is medium. And anything below Classic is very long.

Maelyssa
May 15th, 2009, 02:23 PM
My hair is currently somewhere past waist on it's way to hip length & to me long hair is anywhere from just above bra strap length on down.

enfys
May 15th, 2009, 02:29 PM
For average society I think apl and longer is long.

For me personally on me, anything longer than my hair currently (whenever that is) is long...in other words my hair may never be 'long' to me.

For me personally on others, waist and longer is long.

What she said :D

neon-dream
May 15th, 2009, 02:31 PM
On me I think waist length is long, but on others I see it as the top of BSL :)

RetroKitten
May 18th, 2009, 04:00 AM
Is there a chart, explanation, website for all the hair length abbreviations?
I still don't know what APL and BSL mean, although I can guess...

zombi
May 18th, 2009, 04:17 AM
I'd agree with everyone who says that BSL is "long" by today's standards usually. For me I'd say my hair will be long at waist, maybe.

retrokitten: APL is armpit length, BSL is brastrap length.

Nera
May 18th, 2009, 04:26 AM
I think anything beyond waistlength hair is really long, considering the fact that growing hair to the waist always takes at least some commitment and care.
But for "normal people" BSL is definitaly considered long.

InTheCity
May 18th, 2009, 06:04 AM

"CTBL" totally made me smile! GlennaGirl, you and I have a similar starting length, current length and goal lengths. On to "covering the boob!"

Marie99
May 18th, 2009, 06:35 AM
When my hair got to BSL, people started bugging me about donating it, and I started telling them to grow and donate their own hair if it was important to them to see hair donated. So I'd have to go with BSL. I'm keeping my hair more or less BSL while cutting off damage, because it feels just barely long enough to be long.

RetroKitten
May 18th, 2009, 07:31 AM
retrokitten: APL is armpit length, BSL is brastrap length.

thank you!!

now what is CTBL? A guide would be VERY helpful, seriously *hinthint* :D

Katrina
May 18th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Covering-the-boobs length :D (by GlennaGirl )

RetroKitten
May 18th, 2009, 07:36 AM
ok, so this is no "official term", i get it :o

GlennaGirl
May 18th, 2009, 08:45 AM
"CTBL" totally made me smile! GlennaGirl, you and I have a similar starting length, current length and goal lengths. On to "covering the boob!"

Ha ha...Onward and downward, troops! We shall cover boobs together!

Deborah
May 18th, 2009, 11:58 AM
I think to say that one's hair must be bsl or waist or whatever before it can be considered 'long' is hurtful and discouraging to others. Anyone who's hair touches their back and shoulders has 'long hair.'

(I have always had hair much longer than that, so that's not why I say this.)

Each individual may feel dissatisfied with the length of their own hair until they reach some far-off target length, but that does not mean they don't already have 'long hair.' I would never tell someone their hair is not 'long', nor would I judge their hair as 'not long' in my own mind because I think that the term 'long hair' is exclusive to those who can grow their hair to some quite long length. We can become such snobs about hair on a board such as this one.

Sorry if I sound irritated, but I guess I am a little. I hate to see women discouraged by the snobbery of other women. For many it can be like holding the carrot on a stick in front of the poor donkey. Almost anyone can have 'long hair.' Let's don't make it harder than it is.

GlennaGirl
May 18th, 2009, 01:34 PM
I think to say that one's hair must be bsl or waist or whatever before it can be considered 'long' is hurtful and discouraging to others. Anyone who's hair touches their back and shoulders has 'long hair.'

Well, I don't know. I think anyone who has been on LHC for any amount of time at all knows that we who view only very long hair as "long" are in the minority. I'd imagine pretty much anyone knows that for the vast majority of society, anything beyond the top level of the shoulders is long. :)

So I wouldn't worry very much about that, but that's just me personally. Which brings me to Point Two: This is what we personally feel is long. I suppose we could all just not answer, but the OP did ask; or else tell an untruth, in which case is our input at all valuable? ;)

If everyone either lied or simply elected not to answer, frankly, this wouldn't be much of a thread.

LILBERT
May 18th, 2009, 01:42 PM
I think long hair is a matter of perspective. i had hair nearing waist length and it didnt FEEL long, but now i have APL hair and it does FEEL long because its been short for a while and just grown out. compared to a pixie, jaw length would be long. if you feel your hair is long then dont let anyone else tell you otherwise :) even if it will be longer in the future, ever inch is an inch longer after all.

Garnet66
May 18th, 2009, 01:44 PM
To me anything beyond shoulder length is long. I don't know if I feel that way because my hair has been short for so long.

florenonite
May 18th, 2009, 01:50 PM

Each individual may feel dissatisfied with the length of their own hair until they reach some far-off target length, but that does not mean they don't already have 'long hair.' I would never tell someone their hair is not 'long', nor would I judge their hair as 'not long' in my own mind because I think that the term 'long hair' is exclusive to those who can grow their hair to some quite long length. We can become such snobs about hair on a board such as this one.

Sorry if I sound irritated, but I guess I am a little. I hate to see women discouraged by the snobbery of other women. For many it can be like holding the carrot on a stick in front of the poor donkey. Almost anyone can have 'long hair.' Let's don't make it harder than it is.

I disagree. A lot of posters have said that they consider hair to need to be at least waist-length to be long. I haven't had waist-length hair since I was about 11, so I don't even know if it's possible for me to grow to that length, and I certainly don't have it at the moment. Yet I am not offended by posters saying that they don't view hair as being long until it's at waist length, why should I be? It really doesn't matter to me whether or not other members think my hair is long as long as I'm happy with my hair. No, I don't think my hair's "long" yet, but if it doesn't make it to waist I'll come to terms with that and be happy with it the way it is.

I also agree with GlennaGirl that it would be a pretty dull thread if we didn't say how long hair needed to be for us to think it was long!

LadyGunn
May 18th, 2009, 02:31 PM
I consider hair on other people to be long when it's about BSL, but I'm at the can-I-call-this-hip? length and still am not quite ready to call it long yet.

As far as telling other people that their hair is not long, I would never do that. I've had people (a hairdresser, in this instance) go "Ugh! That's way too long!" when I told her my hair was at waist. I know that different people have different preferences so I'm not going to tell someone "Ugh! That's way too short!" I had a friend post on Facebook that she just cut 3 or so inches off & loved it. Her hair is just past ear length now. My response was "Noooo!!! says the long haired friend. ;p I'm glad you love your new cut. :)" With the wink & knowing each other like we do, I knew that she would know I was joking about the "No" response.

Firefly
May 18th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Like others, for me personally I think of long hair as being around waist. My original goal was waist, and now it's tailbone, but I still think of waist as long. I know that is when it started finally *feeling* long.

feralnature
May 18th, 2009, 04:35 PM
...anything longer than mine :)

Feline
May 18th, 2009, 04:45 PM
The public in general seems to think anything past shoulder length is "long"; personally, I think it has to be waist length before it is long. Just my opinion, YMMV ...:cheese:

florenonite
May 19th, 2009, 06:06 AM
I've been puzzling over why below shoulder-length hair is "long". That would make a bob medium and a pixie short, so there's only a few inches variation in short and medium, then many in long. I think it has to do with the fact that most women wear their hair down much of the time. A pixie looks vastly different from a bob when worn down, and a bob very different from shoulder-length/APL. However, once you get below the shoulders, there's not a huge difference in the appearance from the front due to length alone. Layers will make a difference, but beyond that the hair looks more or less the same.

That's just my conjecture, though :p

smerrie
May 19th, 2009, 07:31 AM
I think long is a completely relative term. For example, my hair used to be mid-back, and when I cut it to BSL with layers, I complained that it was soooo short. But others around me just gave me weird looks, and said, "Um. It's still long!"

Now that I've been at shoulder length for about 2 years, whenever my hair starts to creep below my shoulders, call it APL, I can't get over how long it feels!

I also know a woman who keeps her hair short, and she will start complaining that it is too long when it hasn't even hit shoulder length.

And of course, for people here who are aiming for terminal length... BSL is going to seem ridiculously short.

Thus it is all relative :p

But for me personally.. I consider long hair to start somewhere between APL and BSL.

florenonite
May 19th, 2009, 07:37 AM
I also know a woman who keeps her hair short, and she will start complaining that it is too long when it hasn't even hit shoulder length.

My flatmate has a bob and whenever she can pull her hair and it reaches her shoulder she complains it's long, and I've never had hair that short!

Just goes to show how relative it is, I suppose.

Debra83
May 19th, 2009, 08:09 AM
For me my hair will be long again when I have to move it to tuck in my shirts. I guess that would make it waist.

On others, I think long hair starts about mid back.

Funny how that works, but we have a zillion long haired folks around here. And a high native american population, and it seems the majority of them (both genders) grow their hair long.

us too in this town. so about 65% of the pop has waist length hair or longer. There's a lady I see once in awhile who is probably just around 5 feet tall, and her hair is blond and ankle length and she always wear's it loose. Then there's an acquaintance of mine who has knee length hair, but she doesn't always wear it loose. It's long and black, and she's less than 5' I'm pretty sure. So when you see these lengths on a regular basis the "normal" line moves down. Short really looks very short and long is starting at waist. That's why I'm not happy happy with my length yet.

Babyfine
May 19th, 2009, 08:45 AM
I consider anything shoulder length and beyond to be long. I also consider
anything beyond BSL to be very long.
Most women in the part of the country(USA) where I live don't have beyond -shoulder-length after their 20's, although there are a few with longer hair.
I myself don't consider my top- of -my -BS length to be long at all, however- I won't feel long unless it hits waist length. I was described the other day, however, as "the woman with the long hair."
Maybe I have "hair anorexia".

LadyGunn
May 19th, 2009, 09:40 AM
I consider anything shoulder length and beyond to be long. I also consider
anything beyond BSL to be very long.
Most women in the part of the country(USA) where I live don't have beyond -shoulder-length after their 20's, although there are a few with longer hair.
I myself don't consider my top- of -my -BS length to be long at all, however- I won't feel long unless it hits waist length. I was described the other day, however, as "the woman with the long hair."
Maybe I have "hair anorexia".

Hair anorexia - that's a good way to put it.

I was just talking to my boss & she said that she considers shoulder-length to be long & mine is "extra-long." My dad hates it if his hair (what little hair he does have) gets any longer than a 1/16th of an inch. He starts claiming that he "looks like a hippy" & that people are mistaking him for a woman. :rolleyes: I don't always claim him in public. :o

ETA: Changed the length of Dad's hair from an 1/8th of an inch to 1/16th. That's more accurate.

dragonfrog
May 19th, 2009, 10:09 AM
I have felt my hair was long ever since BSL, but that is only because I never had it longer than that before :)

ecologystudent
May 19th, 2009, 10:16 AM
I think it's long around BSL, for the real worlders around here. I think mine will be long when it's halfway between BSL and Waist.

LovingLife
May 19th, 2009, 10:20 AM
I think to someone else in regular modern day society it would be around bra strap length, however I think to yourself it will never be quite long enough :D and on LHC it is way long!

Sheltie_Momma
May 19th, 2009, 10:33 AM
LOL on "long enough to cover the boobs". Too funny. Does anyone remember the tights/hose for girls that had the girl on the cover wearing just the tights and her hair covered her chest? It was one fo the first ad images of long hair that I can remember. I grew up with long hair, raised by hippies in Austin, TX in the early 70's so long hair was the norm. Long to me means longer than BSL.

Babyfine
May 19th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Hair anorexia - that's a good way to put it.

I was just talking to my boss & she said that she considers shoulder-length to be long & mine is "extra-long." My dad hates it if his hair (what little hair he does have) gets any longer than a 1/16th of an inch. He starts claiming that he "looks like a hippy" & that people are mistaking him for a woman. :rolleyes: I don't always claim him in public. :o

ETA: Changed the length of Dad's hair from an 1/8th of an inch to 1/16th. That's more accurate.
LOL! I can't claim the expression- I saw it used here a few times.
But it describes me. My hair was actually to the bottom of my BS but I cut back to shoulders to get rid of old highlights. Before I cut I was getting a lot of "wow your hair is long comments" even though I didn't consider myself long at all looking at the heads of hair here. But I do consider other people with SL, BSL and on long.

LadyEliza
May 19th, 2009, 04:38 PM
I see hair on other people from BSL (hmmm, what's the equivilant on men?) and think it's long.

But when my hair was classic length I *knew* it was long, but it didn't feel long to me. I guess because it grows a little at a time so we get use to it as it goes.

CaraLynn
May 19th, 2009, 04:46 PM

That, exactly. :)

simply_me
May 19th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Very interesting thread. I agree that it is a matter of perspective. I've had short hair for most of my life, so right now, my hair feels long. Co-workers have commented on how long my hair is getting and mind you it hasn't reached BSL yet.

In the area of New England where I live, most women have shorter length hair, so shoulder length hair is considered long. It's pretty unusual to see someone my age (48 ) with the length I have right now. I still plan to let my hair grow longer. I really don't care what people think. ;)

teela1978
May 19th, 2009, 05:32 PM
When my hair gets a little longer than apl I start thinking of it as long.

Themyst
May 19th, 2009, 05:41 PM
When I see someone with waist-length hair, I consider it long.

klcqtee
May 19th, 2009, 06:07 PM
For me, my hair will be long when one day I'm wearing a short sleeve shirt, and my hair brushes my own arm and spooks me. I'm naturally a jumpy person, so it might not even need to be elbow (waist) length.

This also happens to be my long hair goal, only about 30 inches to go!

Alun
May 19th, 2009, 07:59 PM

What she said, except the part about always having had 'hair much longer than that'.

jojo
June 5th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Really when you think of it, it depends on the gender too. Like men are considered to have long hair when it reaches shoulders this probably because its more unusual to see men with long hair, yet its more common for women to grow their hair so we tend to think of long on a woman as waist.

But then again is hair long when its a certain number on a tape or is it considered long when it needs to be worn up because its irritating to be blowing in your face all the time and not just worn up because you can?

morguebabe
June 5th, 2009, 08:58 PM
I myself consider long hair hip length. I really don't consider APL or BS 'long'...but thats just me.

chotee
June 5th, 2009, 10:02 PM
I have had hair till my tb before so anything longer than that would be great length achieved...

Quixii
June 6th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Unlike society, I wouldn't call anything shorter than waist "long." It would have to be closer to around hips for me to honestly consider it long.

greek_lady
June 6th, 2009, 08:08 AM
For me "long" is always the next step up (or... down) from my current hair length.
I do appreciate and feel thankful for what I have, though.

LisaButz2001
June 6th, 2009, 08:42 PM
I have TB length & I view waist as short whenever I go back to that length.

HotRag
June 7th, 2009, 01:51 AM
For me:
Waist and beyond is long (yeah, I did get long hair this month!).
Classic and below is unusual long.
Knee and below is extremely long.
Floor and beyond, is very extremely long ^_^

Naava
June 7th, 2009, 02:40 AM
I had to think about this for a while... Even though I have shorter hair than a lot of people here, if I would need to describe myself to someone, I would say that I have long hair. I think bsl is long for most people, even though it's not long enough for me :)

natt i nord
June 7th, 2009, 04:23 AM
You know - 'long' is everything, what's at least 5cm longer than the own hair :D

For me I'd consider it from around waist as longer.

drquartz1970
June 7th, 2009, 06:01 AM
I'll consider hair long when the front fringe can go all the way to the rear hair tie and hair is long enough to wrap around your neck one 360 degree arc.

gmdiaz
June 7th, 2009, 07:00 AM
For me:
Waist and beyond is long (yeah, I did get long hair this month!).
Classic and below is unusual long.
Knee and below is extremely long.
Floor and beyond, is very extremely long ^_^

My thoughts exactly!

Marika
June 7th, 2009, 08:11 AM
For me hip length is long. My shortest hairs are now at waist and longest at tailbone and if all of my hair was at waist I wouldn't consider it to be long. But it depends on the person really.. I see all time people who have waist length hair and it seems long but I myself have a long back and lots of curves so I really need more length to consider myself as a 'long hair'.

Lioness
June 7th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Anything longer than midback i consider long.

It's actually funny that LHCmembers have totally different standards when it comes to hairlenght.
I always laugh when my friends see someone on the street with for instance around BSLhair and say: WOW look how long her hair is! :rolleyes:

archaeomanda
June 17th, 2009, 06:15 AM
I've been charged an extra fee for "long" hair at a salon for shoulder-length hair. Granted, it was a cheap place in the mall, but still...

Saisaisayonara
June 17th, 2009, 06:34 AM
Mid back I'd say is long. I recently just got long hair :) yay!

bte
June 17th, 2009, 06:47 AM
It all depends on the context. I recently attended a meeting where I was the only person their with hair long enough for a ponytail, and seven of the sixteen present were women. On the other hand, if I go to an LHC meet, my hair is likely to be just about the shortest.

A different kind of context, somebody who has always had very short hair and grows it to shoulder length will appear to have long hair; someone who has ankle length hair and cuts it to knee will appear to have short hair.

So, in my opinion, there are as many answers as there are people!

SupermanSeven
June 17th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Classic and beyond is long hair.

Zindell
June 17th, 2009, 07:00 AM
My view:

Short hair = chin length and shorter
Medium long = between chin lenght and APL
Long hair = APL and longer

:D

NickalNack
June 17th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Any hair that's longer than mine is long to me.

Bene
June 17th, 2009, 10:46 PM
i've heard some people say APL is long.

my hair is about in inch past BSL, and i don't think it's long, i consider it medium length. to me, anything longer than waist is "long"

noelgirl
June 17th, 2009, 11:25 PM
There's a difference between "long" and "long for me", IMO. It's very context-dependent. If I were describing someone, I'd describe them as having long hair starting around APL. That's when it starts to have a flow to it, usually. But long for me would be below waist, since I'm used to lengths between BSL and waist but haven't been below waist in quite some time.

ericthegreat
June 18th, 2009, 12:47 AM
My point of reference for how long your hair has to be to be considered long has shifted along with my own increasing hair length. I used to envy the locks of Jenifer Lopez and Britney Spears(that was until I found out they wear extensions on a regular basis!) and I would watch their music videos really to see their hair swing and fly around as they danced! But even with their extensions, they sport midback to lower back styles, never anything longer than waist as hair longer than waist would be considered "too long" by their fans.

Now than my own hair has reached the upper part of my butt, I now no longer envy their locks. Especially since now I know that the hair I'm seeing on them is (A) most likely extensions (B) highlighted or colored over again and again since celebrities need to keep "changing up their styles" to stay new and edgy (C) blown out, straightened, or curled on a regular basis. With all that being said and done, the hair of a actress or pop singer must in actually be quite damaged and only made to look superficially shiny and healthy with shine serums and flat irons and all those artificial gizmos. I now love and admire my own hair which is natural and healthy!

I'll get off my soapbox now and answer the question. :D At my current length right now, butt length and longer would be considered long to me.

redcelticcurls
June 18th, 2009, 12:59 AM
For me, curl pattern plays into it.

If I see a 4a at APL, I know that her hair must be at least waist length when wet. Do I consider it medium because it's APL or long because I know that the actual length is taken up by the curl pattern? I usually consider it long. I know that growing long curly hair takes longer than growing long straight hair.

So, I feel that a 4a at APL is long but a 1A at APL is medium. The pattern plays a role.

In regular social context, I consider most types to be long at BSL. Here on the boards, I'd consider waist length and beyond long

Lize
June 18th, 2009, 02:21 AM
I always though BSL was long before I came to this place. ;) BSL was actually my goal length when I first came here. Now that I am almost at BSL I don't find my hair long at all. Probably I have changed to look at waist length hair as "long", and BSL as rather long. :lol:

Finoriel
June 18th, 2009, 02:49 AM
Hmm :ponder: for me long hair already starts beyond shoulders.
:wink: Very long hair, well thatīs another story. I guess thatīs beyond classic length for me.

82exoticbeauty
July 25th, 2009, 01:39 AM
About tailbone length on me that is considered long because it felt like I'm kinda sitting on the floor and it touches the ground!

ZadenWillowfyre
July 25th, 2009, 06:50 AM
I'd say about BSL to waist is getting long it really depends on the persons body shape.

paper
July 25th, 2009, 07:35 AM
To me, APL-BSL is long. Anything longer then that, is super long! :D

Aurea
July 25th, 2009, 08:15 AM
To me, it's long when it starts getting the "movement" of long hair when down - it hangs and swings instead of sitting stiffly. Obviously that doesn't necessarily work for natural AA hair and other 4a/4b types; I tend to consider "tightly curly" hair long when it transitions from a TWA to a "puff" with a bit of spring/movement, or when it starts to brush the shoulders and swing a bit when worn in braids/twists/locks.

WritingPrincess
July 25th, 2009, 10:04 AM
I, personally, feel that long starts at waist, and that past classic/fingertip, you get into super-long-thud territory.

Brownie
July 25th, 2009, 10:20 AM
I, personally, feel that long starts at waist, and that past classic/fingertip, you get into super-long-thud territory.

WritingPrincess, you take the words out of my mouth :D My thoughts exactly!

theskeletonkey
July 25th, 2009, 11:56 AM
To me, APL-BSL is long. Anything longer then that, is super long! :D

I agree! I guess things look differently when you have had short hair most of your life.

florenonite
July 25th, 2009, 12:02 PM
I agree! I guess things look differently when you have had short hair most of your life.

I had shoulder-length to APLish hair for years, and when I joined LHC I thought that somewhere between APL and BSL was long. However, I didn't start to feel like my hair was long until it reached the length it's at now, which is somewhere between BSL and waist length. On others, I see it as long when it gets to the long side of BSL.

RancheroTheBee
July 25th, 2009, 12:04 PM
My rule of thumb is: Anything longer than my hair is long. So, pretty much all of you have really long hair. Congrats!

swanns
July 25th, 2009, 12:45 PM
My rule of thumb is: Anything longer than my hair is long. So, pretty much all of you have really long hair. Congrats!

What about when you're at, say, TB? :D

akilina
July 25th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Bsl+ is long to me I guess. But I can look at people in between apl and bsl and think their hair looks long-ish.

Wicked Princess
July 26th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Wow - it's really quite fascinating hearing what other people think of as long. I always imagined that all of you would consider classic length or longer to be "true long" hair. In reality, people seem to think that waist or longer is Long Hair (note the capitalization), which I'm sure most people outside of the LHC would agree with if specifically asked.

But here's my personal scale of hair lengths to definitions:

Chin length or shorter = Short.
Below the shoulder to APL = Medium.
BSL to just below waist = Longer.
Tailbone = Long.
Classic = Quite Long.

And...

Knee+ = DAMN! *internally vows to have hair that long*

:blushing: I apologize for my language, but that is an accurate depiction of my internal monologue when seeing hair so long.

Laylah
July 26th, 2009, 01:12 AM
For me, anything past BSL looks suprisingly long on other people in real life. But for myself, I'm at waist length yet it still feels kinda "medium" to me.

heatherdazy
July 26th, 2009, 06:38 PM
From a stylists perspective:
Bald to over the ears is considered 'very short'
bottom of ears to chin is 'short'
chin to shoulder is 'mid-length'
APL to waist is 'long'
below the waist is 'very long'

Much of the way they're categorized has to do with care and styling rather than the actual measurable differences.

redcelticcurls
July 26th, 2009, 06:40 PM

Or when you have type 3 or 4 where the length can be deceptive.

Nyghtingale
July 26th, 2009, 08:51 PM
I would say waist

nowxisxforever
July 26th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I see BSL+ as long. Everything shorter than BSL is middle-length/average, everything shorter than chin is 'short'.

halo_tightens
July 26th, 2009, 09:05 PM
I think I'll feel like my hair is atarting to get "long" when it hits about BSL. It hasn't been there since high school, and the feeling of it brushing against my back will let me know it's getting where I want it to be. :D

free_hug
July 27th, 2009, 02:30 AM
I see APL as "very good basis for growing out", or "almost long" :D and anything past BSL as "pretty long" and anything pas wast as "oh, wow, that's really long" and anything past TB as "what? is it real??"

juliaxena
July 27th, 2009, 03:20 AM
Hmm for me long hair starts an inch or two below shoulders.

CTH3989
July 27th, 2009, 04:04 AM
To me, waist length and on is longer.

freckles
July 27th, 2009, 04:12 AM
I see enough people with around BSL every day (including me!) that it doesn't seem 'long'. Maybe a few inches past that I would see as 'long', but I'm a newbie TLHC-er, so this is more an 'outside world' view :)

3azza
July 27th, 2009, 07:45 AM
I used to think it's waist length but now that i'm there i find waist length is not long enough (at least not for curlies)

myotislucifugus
July 27th, 2009, 07:59 AM
I used to think it's waist length but now that i'm there i find waist length is not long enough (at least not for curlies)
I'm with you. I'm just brushing waist, and it is not as long as I thought on me. I think when I said waist when I first started growing, I meant hip.

Fethenwen
July 27th, 2009, 08:03 AM
I'm happy, people consider my hair to be long instead of short nowadays :) And it's past shoulder.
I consider long hair to be hair that isn't short, loooong hair again would be past BSL.

redcelticcurls
July 27th, 2009, 11:10 AM

Actually, I'd consider your hair to be quite long since you're waist length curly. I see your gorgeous photo album full of waist length 3b curls, and I would think that your stretched length would be much longer.

The Drood
July 27th, 2009, 11:15 AM
For me at least (as a guy), I was getting comments about having long hair when it was passing my ears. But, I wasn't going to consider it long until it passed my shoulders. Now that it's between my shoulder blades, I still think it's short. Probably a result of spending my time here.

Now I think long hair begins at around waist. Between APL and Waste I consider Medium and anything before that is damn short.

florenonite
July 27th, 2009, 01:25 PM

I see it the other way round. On curlies waist length, to me, is überlong because stretched it must be much longer than waist, whereas on straighties I see it as just starting to get long.

Eden_Rayn
July 27th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Here's my views...
Pixie-very short
Chin- short
Above Bsl-Medium
Bsl to waist- long
hip to classic- very long
anything longer than that is extremely long

Tressie
July 27th, 2009, 09:23 PM
A matter of personal opinion, but to the world at large BSL is long as others have said. Now, after looking at some of the hair on this site...............well, I guess classic is sort of long! :D:eyebrows:

LittleOrca
July 27th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Hips are when I start to think hair is long, but then my hair is at TBL and I still think it's too short. :D

SimplyViki
July 27th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Maybe when/if my hair gets longer than my Mom's I'll consider it long. Growing up, Mom's hair was the ultimate standard of long hair. :p

Tressie
July 28th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Maybe when/if my hair gets longer than my Mom's I'll consider it long. Growing up, Mom's hair was the ultimate standard of long hair. :p

Oh, pics please!!! :eyebrows:

pink.sara
July 28th, 2009, 10:40 AM
As a shortie just starting to grow again BSL is long to me! :)

But saying that I didn't think my hair was long before until I started pulling it out of my trousers getting dressed!!
And here in the UK long hair past waist is SO rare people Will comment every single day.
There was something really cool about having a daily "Wow your hair is amazing" when I got to hip/tailbone I used to wear it down every other day. :rolleyes:

GOD I miss that hair, and you ladies all make me very jealous! :cheer:

Reptilia
July 28th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Anything past BSL I consider long. Past waist, very long. Past tailbone, super long. Past butt, extremely long!

Gumball
July 29th, 2009, 05:48 PM
I guess for me I really think waist/hip length is really where I feel "long" hair starts.

krn2891
July 29th, 2009, 06:22 PM
For me long is always longer then my hair is now. I never seem to think that my hair is long even if I look at someone else who has shorter hair then me and think they have lovely long hair. On other people I consider anything longer then waist long.

SimplyViki
July 31st, 2009, 12:48 PM
Oh, pics please!!! :eyebrows:
Oh, sorry! I missed your reply. :oops: We have a few pics on this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=29551) thread. :) I got her to join the forum.

Stephunny
July 31st, 2009, 01:19 PM
Cute name! =)

To me, waist is long. Beyond that is REALLY long. The longer past waist, the bigger the 'REALLY.'

But as some one mentioned, mainstream society thinks BSL is long... At the store, I see magazine covers advertising "styles for long hair." I open it up and it's all APL to BSL length hair.

nicolina
July 31st, 2009, 01:32 PM
Like most people here, before I found LHC I thought APL-BSL was long. Now, I won't think of myself as having long-haired until I hit waist at least.

florenonite
July 31st, 2009, 02:18 PM
But as some one mentioned, mainstream society thinks BSL is long... At the store, I see magazine covers advertising "styles for long hair." I open it up and it's all APL to BSL length hair.

This bothers me, particularly when "styles" means "haircuts" :p

However, I also notice a difference between teen magazines and magazines for young women. For teenagers, I think somewhere around midback or waist is considered "long" because a lot of teens still have reasonably long hair. Women (early twenties or older), on the other hand, tend to have shorter hair (it's more professional! :rolleyes:) than teenagers and so "long" hair in their case is generally longer than in a teenager magazine.

HappyHair87
August 31st, 2009, 09:25 PM
Im at waist and it seriously does not feel long to me....

Little_Bird
August 31st, 2009, 09:29 PM
I feel like hair is long when it's past waist lenght... It's also "long" past shoulders, but my definition of long is much longer than the rest of the world... I think most of us LHC'ers feel a little like that :p

Tess2319
September 1st, 2009, 01:00 PM
Perspective is a funny thing. Like others have mentioned, outside of LHC most consider my BSL hair to be "long".

Like before I moved to Houston I thought 85 degrees (29C) was "really stinking hot weather". Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha! :rollin:

pepperminttea
September 1st, 2009, 01:28 PM
I'd say past waist length is long, past classic is very long, and anything past knee length is amazingly long (mostly because I'm not sure I'll ever get to knee length! :D ).

Hiriel
September 1st, 2009, 02:51 PM
I think hair starts to get long when it's nearing BSL. I know my BSL+ hair isn't very long by LHC standards, but if I was going to describe it, I would call it long, not medium. When you get past waist and closer to hip we can call it LHC-long ;)
Past classic I think hair is Very Long.

Centifolia
September 1st, 2009, 02:54 PM
Between waist and tailbone I begin considering it's long. I also think that a thicker hair seems longer.

cakebaker
September 1st, 2009, 03:25 PM
I have always thought of long hair to start about BSL. My husband considers long hair any hair that can all be gathered together to make a good ponytail. It seems though that hair magazines call armpit length long. So I would think that that would be what the majority of everyday people on the street would consider long. Everything is relative, I guess!

Arashi
September 1st, 2009, 03:58 PM
In my eyes, long starts at waist.

Feline
September 1st, 2009, 05:51 PM
For the rest of the world- well, I started getting the "gee, your hair is long" remarks when it was about BSL. For me, personally, I'd say waist length is "long". Probably a consensus would be mid-way between the two.

Tangles
September 1st, 2009, 06:02 PM
To me, hip is the gateway to the long lengths. In fact, I like this length so much that it's my new goal. :)

St.Germain
September 1st, 2009, 06:07 PM
Personally, I'd say waist marks the beginning of long. I know my hair doesn't feel "long" if it's shorter than that.

jasper
September 1st, 2009, 07:11 PM
If hair is long enough to swish when it is in a pony tail, I call it long. So that's just below shoulder length to me. Thick or layered hair might have to get a bit longer to pass my swish test. Short hair can't make a pony tail. Medium hair makes a pony tail, but it can't swish and certainly wouldn't tickle your neck. I think I said in a similar thread that once hair is long, it will be different kinds of long: just getting long, longer, really long and/ or not long enough.

Alun
September 1st, 2009, 07:31 PM
Don't listen to anyone on LHC if you want a definition of long hair, LOL!

Example - 'Well, mine's around knee length, but long really starts at the ankles'

Actually mine is waist length, but IMHO anything over the shoulders is long. Seriously, though, this is the LAST place you want to look for a definition. Everyone thinks their hair is too short and that anyone with shorter hair is a positive skinhead.

consarnit
September 1st, 2009, 09:30 PM
It would really depend on who you ask and where you ask, but I think typically it falls somewhere between BSL and waist.

JaneinMarch
November 17th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Waist would feel satisfyingly long on me, but if I don't reach that, mid-back will be long enough, even while curly.

hmmm
November 17th, 2009, 07:51 AM

Example - 'Well, mine's around knee length, but long really starts at the ankles'

Actually mine is waist length, but IMHO anything over the shoulders is long. Seriously, though, this is the LAST place you want to look for a definition. Everyone thinks their hair is too short and that anyone with shorter hair is a positive skinhead.

Haha, I loved this! I was just reading random pages on this thread, and it never occured to me that long hair started so far beyond what length mine had ever been. Cheers Alun! :D

Angela_Rose
November 17th, 2009, 09:51 AM
I'm just starting to think of mine as "long," and I'm at thigh-length.

This probably is a good place to get the answers that society won't give you.

Keildra
November 17th, 2009, 11:36 AM
well...
Most salons I've been to - Below chin(but I think that's just because they want to charge you more)
Media-Shoulder to BSL/MBL but that's because you don't see many long haired actresses or models (I know someone might try to argue this point but my reply would be are they wearing a wig?)
My church- I went to a pentecostal church when I was younger and to them your hair had to be waist or longer
Me Personally - classical because I'm weird like that

gnegirl
November 17th, 2009, 11:58 AM

Very true :) I would say anything below SL is 'longish'.

missjessiecakes
November 17th, 2009, 12:01 PM
In general when you ask a group of people they will say bsl or apl. I think hip is long with knee being HOLY MOLY!

PineappleJello
March 16th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Also when my hair started curling around my elbows it started to feel long again :)

urara12
March 16th, 2010, 12:07 AM
For me, waist is long and it's my goal:p

Marjolein
March 16th, 2010, 07:51 AM
I consider hair to be long when it's about BSL. Anything beyond BSL is just unobtainably long for me.

I've been growing out my own hair for the better part of my life, and it has never (ever) reached further than APL.

chopandchange
March 16th, 2010, 12:55 PM
I'm not really sure.

My whole perception of what I consider to be long hair changed since finding this forum!

I think I used to think about BSL or longer was long. But I didn't really notice exactly where the hair reached in terms of body parts. Now I notice it all the time.

Capybara
March 16th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Also when my hair started curling around my elbows it started to feel long again :)

This is the same for me. It *feels* long when I can feel it brushing past my elbows, but it *looks* long before that.

I think that, on a person with thinner hair, APL can look long, while on a person with thicker hair, it only looks long at BSL or waist.

Anisaa
March 16th, 2010, 04:09 PM
For me LONG hair is elbow length and beyond.

blondie9912
October 28th, 2011, 06:35 PM
I'm at APL now, so I will feel like my hair is long once it hits BSL. Where I feel like my hair is actually getting 'long' is between BSL and waist. When it was a several inches longer than BSL last year and touched my ribs while wet, it felt quite long indeed :)

Amber_Maiden
October 28th, 2011, 09:08 PM
long to me is probably a bit mid-back...

Accalia
October 30th, 2011, 02:02 PM
A year ago bsl seemed long but now I consider waist length long.

isabelx
October 30th, 2011, 02:09 PM
On me, APL would feel long! the longest it's ever been. Outside of LHC, I'd say BSL.

CarpeDM
October 30th, 2011, 02:51 PM
I like this guide:

http://www.keratintreatment.co.uk/bkt-prices.html

BSL is the official "long hair" starting point...

joflakes
October 30th, 2011, 03:21 PM
For me it is anything past my shoulders. For the rest of the world, BSL and beyond.

ktani
October 30th, 2011, 03:38 PM
The play "Hair" when it came out (yes I remember that) has the famous song and it is "shoulder length or longer", lol.

That was considered long at the time, more for men than women.

Enjoy, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBIfWt3uiZ8

ETA: They missed a typo or two (just like me usually, lol) but it still a great video!

KwaveT
October 30th, 2011, 05:26 PM
For me probably I would consider midback long. On a child though I would go with a little shorter length maybe APL. My near four year old niece's APL length hair looks long on her since she is so small.

GlennaGirl
October 30th, 2011, 10:13 PM
BSL is the official "long hair" starting point...

Trust me. When you're 100 years old like me, BSL IS long. Waaaaaaaaaaay long. :p ;)

turquoisedays
October 30th, 2011, 10:36 PM
To me, waist length and over is long hair.

Modarunner
October 30th, 2011, 10:47 PM
For me I would consider bsl the starting point for long hair. I wouldn't feel like I had long hair though until my hair was between bsl and waist.

CarpeDM
October 31st, 2011, 05:49 AM
Trust me. When you're 100 years old like me, BSL IS long. Waaaaaaaaaaay long. :p ;)

Ha ha 100 years old! Don't say that, I'm right behind you!! We are still young and I totally agree BSL IS long! ;)

kanaka
October 31st, 2011, 06:04 AM
for me waist seems long on others but on me TBL seems short :)

Orangerthanred
October 31st, 2011, 06:12 AM
Waist length or longer.

ylime
October 31st, 2011, 06:20 AM
IMO when you go to sit in a chair and your hair gets caught, then that's long :D

HuggyBear
October 31st, 2011, 06:28 AM
On others, I think BSL is long but on me, my hair still doesn't feel long and it's at hip right now. :)

BeatlesFanGirl
October 31st, 2011, 06:50 AM
I consider APL and longer long. I had APL hair myself too, years ago, and I considered myself a long haired. :) My hair was between APL and BSL for years, I never thought I could ever grow longer than BSL. Now that it's past waist now, everything that shorter than midback (between BSL and waist) is too short for me!!!! :D I still consider APL+ long on people. :)

unheardletters
October 31st, 2011, 07:03 AM
I consider anything longer than APL to be long.

sweet*things
October 31st, 2011, 07:33 AM
About three inches longer than wherever I'm currently at (or think I am).;) On other people, waist length.

I cut back to waist a while ago, but I caught a glimpse of my hair in the mirror yesterday and all of a sudden it's long again. :cheese: I should re-measure.

Chetanlaiho
October 31st, 2011, 10:16 AM
For me Waist+ is long, Classic+ is extremely long xD

My hair is nearing hip but the ends are so thin it doesn't feel long =(

marioma
October 31st, 2011, 12:34 PM
for me after joining lhc , i wont consider my hair long until it's at waist length ! long way to go

tori93
October 31st, 2011, 01:22 PM
APL length hair seems long to me just because my hair has always been around shoulder/chin length. I understand that if you have had BSL hair and longer your whole life then this would seem really short :D

turtlelover
October 31st, 2011, 01:39 PM
Long to me is always a few inches MORE than my own hair!!!! ;)

Dizzy_zzz
October 31st, 2011, 04:56 PM
Where I live, it seems that "long" is considered to be any length past waist.

heartgoesboom
October 31st, 2011, 07:43 PM
for some reason, i think bsl+ on other people is long, but waist+ on me to feel long, lol.

summerjade
October 31st, 2011, 07:59 PM
To me BSL or longer is long hair.

jaine
October 31st, 2011, 08:11 PM
I thought APL would feel long - but now my hair is technically at APL and it still feels medium-length. So now I think BSL is when my hair will start to feel long.

MrsGuther
October 31st, 2011, 08:30 PM
My hair is at hip length and it doesn't seem long to me. It seems "almost long"... if that makes any sense. I think classic length is an awesome length. Super long, and still manageable (as opposed to when hair gets to knee length it would be harder to handle).

MrsGuther
October 31st, 2011, 08:47 PM
Long to me is always a few inches MORE than my own hair!!!! ;)
This!!! That's exactly how I feel!

thelittlestdoc
November 1st, 2011, 01:41 AM
Where I live, long is APL+. I see long as BSL+. The special category Long, which acquires a special capitalized L and everything, is anything that seems impossible for me to achieve. I suppose hip+?

nellreno
November 1st, 2011, 01:54 AM
My hair is starting to creep past hip now and I still don't really think of it as long. I guess because it grows at a steady rate I'm constantly getting used to the length. If I went to bed with APL hair and woke up with my present length I'd think of it as super long.

Erika_92
December 15th, 2011, 02:17 AM
I would say waist

PorkChop
December 15th, 2011, 02:52 AM
I think it will be waist length when I can say 'I have long hair!'

PriscillaCherel
December 15th, 2011, 03:36 AM
To me it is waist +, because when i see girls with waist length hair i think it's very long.. When i see myself with waist length hair it isn't long(i am thinking) But it's long!

I want to reach hip.. thats what i can call long by myself!:D

Carissamarie08
December 15th, 2011, 05:33 AM
BSL and longer!

jacqueline101
December 15th, 2011, 05:40 AM
I'd say bra strap length and longer.

CAPA7
December 15th, 2011, 07:01 AM
I agree with all those who said that nowadays, to most people, BSL counts as "long hair". I have waist length hair and my boyfriend thinks it is "really very long", however for me, it doesn't look long at all!
Personally, I'd say waist length starts to be fairly long-ish, but proper long is TBL+
I have to admit though that spending so much time on LHC does tend to warp one's vision when it comes to hair length :)

lushlocks
May 10th, 2012, 06:23 PM
On others, I think full APL on onward is long. On myself, I didn't really feel like I had long hair until I hit BSL. When I finally hit WL, I'll feel like I've really made it to the big league of long hair.

dwell_in_safety
May 10th, 2012, 07:17 PM
On others, and on me, it's waist. That is the shortest I've ever considered hair to be long. I'm liking my hair right now, though, and it's only at BSL. That may be from enjoying the growing-out process a bit more this time around, though. :)

catamonica
May 10th, 2012, 07:31 PM
I think starting at waist is pretty long. But until I can sit on it, it wont be long enough.

millyaulait
May 11th, 2012, 05:26 AM
BSL on others, WL on me!

Nymphea
May 11th, 2012, 05:37 AM
I started to feel my hair "long" at hip, but yes, I agree that most of the people outside LHC community consider BSL a solid long length. I often realize that even APL passes as quite "long" also.

Venefica
May 11th, 2012, 05:57 AM
I would say that a person have long hair if they have hair to their bra strap. I would not think of hair as really long however unless it was at least waist. But basically if you can put your hair up, have it in a ponytail and braid it, then it is long.

onlyforhim
May 11th, 2012, 06:44 AM
in my society I guess nowadays bra strap is considered long. I think long hair is waist and down...
But you know several times I saw women with thick hair ..(or long neck)... and their hair is hardly bsl and I still thought it's very long

DarkCurls
May 11th, 2012, 03:55 PM
The average around here being about shoulder-length, I guess society in general considers BSL or mid-back as "long." I get told my WL hair is "long," but for me, hair isn't long until it's nearing hip. Shoulder-length and above is short. Between shoulder and waist is... medium. Mid-thigh and beyond is really long.

remote-spook
May 11th, 2012, 04:38 PM
I am at bsl currently and have people comment on how my hair is getting so long, but to me it's still at medium length. I will consider it long when I can braid all my hair on one side without having hair from the other side slip out. I have a lot of hair and end up with an enormous braid so it may take a little while longer. :)

HintOfMint
May 11th, 2012, 05:00 PM
I felt like I had long hair when it was maybe a little past APL. That was when I could do big Victoria's Secret type waves and have it look pretty decent.

Mina17
May 11th, 2012, 05:20 PM
I had previously said APL, but now that I'm there it doesn't feel that long. I would have to say BSL now.

ClassicalBlonde
May 11th, 2012, 09:50 PM
There are a lot of people around me that have waist or a little longer, so in my mind it doesn't seem to be long unless it's around tailbone.

fayeelizibeth
May 11th, 2012, 10:17 PM
For me my hair won't be "long" until it's at waist, because that's how long it was when I was in high school :p. For now it's just always "getting longer"...

Hollyfire3
May 11th, 2012, 10:38 PM
I felt like I had long hair when it was maybe a little past APL. That was when I could do big Victoria's Secret type waves and have it look pretty decent.

Did you do the waves without heat? Either way, please share your method!

tori93
May 12th, 2012, 02:56 AM
it differs from person to person depending on what they are used to. I think that
chin and shorter is very short, chin to shoulder is short, shoulder to APL is medium, BSL/waist is long and beyond waist is very very long :)

afu
May 12th, 2012, 03:50 AM
If i was describing someone to a non-LHC person i would describe them as having long hair from BSL onwards, as near me you don't really see people with longer hair than that. On myself, i think i'll probably be happy that my hair has reached 'long' when i get to waist or maybe hip

Fabulosity
May 12th, 2012, 06:57 AM
I work on the Navajo reservation, and have lived with my people for most of my life. I had lost my long hair due to thyroid cancer but it is now at my waist. And it is still short compared to all of my family - men and women. Here, you wouldn't call hair short or long, I don't think. No one refers to it that way. It is a part of our heritage and our being and our power as people of this earth.

kallarina
May 12th, 2012, 08:42 AM
I think it depends on the person. Let's say a person is very short waisted. Waist length on them is shorter than waist length on someone else. Now let's say a person is very tall with a long torso. Hip length on them would be longer than on someone else. I really think it depends on the person, their hair type, and their body shape.
I say "long" is wherever you think "long enough" is. I still haven't reached "long enough" so I guess I haven't figured out what long hair is yet. :p

earthnut
May 12th, 2012, 08:53 AM
I think of shoulder+ as "medium long", BSL+ as "long", and classic+ as "very long". At BSL, I feel a need to start wearing my hair up to protect it. The rest of the world seems to think shoulder+ is "long" and BSL+ is "very long".

turtlelover
May 12th, 2012, 09:00 AM
I think once you are a few inches past shoulder heading for APL, most of society would consider your hair long.

Laur
May 12th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Society thinks my just-barely-APL hair is long, but I don't think it's long until its approaching waist. (and even then, it doesn't often "feel" long)