PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have a length goal that's not based on length specifically?

florenonite
May 14th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Ever since starting here my goal has been hip-length hair. However, throughout this time I've also known that I want to do an infinity bun with my hair, and in a way that's a more important goal than the length. If I can get an infinity at waist I might stop there, and inversely if I can't get one till tailbone I'll have to keep going.

So who else out there has as their ultimate goal, not so much a length, but a style that you want to be able to do or some other such thing?

RancheroTheBee
May 14th, 2009, 09:39 AM
I've always wanted to pull off this retro style. I can't quite describe it, but you twist up the sides and pull the back into a bun, and then roll up the bangs. There's online tutorials for it. Anyway, to do it really properly, I'd need at least APL-BSL hair for it, and it's kind of my goal to get to that length. That, and other fun ones.

1) Utter the phrase: Get off my hair.

2) Have someone, other than DBF* comment that my hair is getting long.

3) Have my hair in danger of getting wet in the bath while sitting upright.

And others.

*: He's been telling me I have long hair for more than a year. It's his way of appealing to my inherent sense of greed, i.e.: "If she thinks she has long hair, she'll try for more of it!"

ecologystudent
May 14th, 2009, 09:50 AM
When I did my last trim, I told myself I wouldn't cut it again for 5 years. So, I don't really actually have a goal length, though I'm guessing it'll be between bsl and waist.

Heidi_234
May 14th, 2009, 09:57 AM
My ultimate goal is hair as long as possible that I can still wear down. Not sure what length that would be, but hopefully long. :D

helen2806
May 14th, 2009, 09:57 AM
I have a non-specific length goal which is based on something I'm not even sure is possible but oh well I'll try! I want to be able to plait a section at the front and it be long enough to bring upwards and put right across my hairline in an Alice-band style as I think it'd be easier than my current French-plait-across version

(make any sense to anyone else?! I know what I mean but it's difficult to describe! :p)

Heavenly Locks
May 14th, 2009, 10:00 AM
My goal is to not cut it until I get back to the United States. Basically, how long can I grow it while I am in Japan. My last cut was in October 2008 and I got to Japan in November. :) At most I will do micro trims to keep things even. I want my hair to be my souvenir! I have 2.5 years to go...

(if my hair cooperates, I'll make it to classic! woo!!)

wintersun99
May 14th, 2009, 10:00 AM
My goals are ever changing and not set in stone... but for right now and always, I want my hair to be as long as it can be, while maintaining thickness and health. Broad enough? :D

neon-dream
May 14th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Im aiming for a straight hemline eventually, in order to have less taper :).
Its a V at the minute, so I have quite a bit. My longest part of hair is almost my goal though, so it's just reaching my goal all over now hah!

enfys
May 14th, 2009, 10:02 AM
I've always wanted to pull off this retro style. I can't quite describe it, but you twist up the sides and pull the back into a bun, and then roll up the bangs. There's online tutorials for it. Anyway, to do it really properly, I'd need at least APL-BSL hair for it, and it's kind of my goal to get to that length. That, and other fun ones.

Do you mean like Rachael in Blade Runner? I love that style! There's a scene where she take it down and I'd guess it's about APL curly.

My goal is based on a length I had before, so I know what it takes, but the one braid around the head like Princess Leia is what I'm shooting for and 44" is what it needs to work on me.

florenonite
May 14th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I have a non-specific length goal which is based on something I'm not even sure is possible but oh well I'll try! I want to be able to plait a section at the front and it be long enough to bring upwards and put right across my hairline in an Alice-band style as I think it'd be easier than my current French-plait-across version

(make any sense to anyone else?! I know what I mean but it's difficult to describe! :p)

It made sense to me! I want to be able to do that, too, because I can't do a French plait across (my hair doesn't seem to like lying in the wrong direction).

Natalia
May 14th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Mine is a little strange but i never thought of the term hip as a length so when people said what do you mean my long or whateer term i was using to describe it at the time so i would say i want to be able to have my hair down my back, pull it up under my arm, and throw it over my shoulder and have it stay :). Lol yep strange but effective i think hip should suffice from now on :p

redneckprincess
May 14th, 2009, 11:13 AM
I cant wait for someone to tell me "wow your hair is really getting long"

janeytilllie
May 14th, 2009, 11:39 AM
I have a hair style goal.

I really want to do the french crown braid. It's so pretty :)

My hair is at TBL now and It'a still not long enougth. I think I would have to be thigh/knee length to do it.

MsBubbles
May 14th, 2009, 12:00 PM
My length goal is hip...or...maybe tailbone. LOL.

Anyway, before I get there, I'd just die to have a great rear view with straight-across waist length hair. I hope I don't sound too perverted here, but I think it's just jaw-droppingly mesmerizing when I see a girl/woman walking with an even or U-shaped hemline, with healthy ends swinging outwards and inwards in the small of her back, and it looks even more amazing if she has a nice butt!

I'm working on my rear-end also :). There, I've said it.

wintersun99
May 14th, 2009, 12:03 PM
I have another goal: I know that it irritates ya'll but I want to hear the LoL comment (though now it will be many years away) :D

Dreamernz
May 14th, 2009, 12:09 PM

I get what you're saying, I saw that style and it was a motivation for me in part :D

GeoJ
May 14th, 2009, 12:19 PM
My non-length goal is to work on my taper*. When I make a braid the upper half looks great, but the lower half gets suddenly thinner (not an even taper, I think it is damage-related). I have noticed the thicker part of the braid to be gradually moving down since I have started taking better care of my hair, but it will still be a few years before the thickening reaches my hemline.

The right-most third of my hair is in the worst shape, it is what needs to grow the most to fill in my hemline and make my braid look better.

*If I achieve my goal of fixing the taper my favorite hairstyle (coronet braid) will look much better. :)

It would be really cool if I could grow my hair long enough to get a braid that I could wrap twice around my head! (but I doubt my hair could get that long).

Longhairpixie
May 14th, 2009, 12:19 PM
I would love my hair to be just at or above my back tattoo. I guess how many more inch that was and put it as 30 inches. But a long as it touches my a tattoo I'll be happy.

Calista
May 14th, 2009, 12:25 PM
I want to be able to use my hair as a cloak. Whatever that means - I´m not quite sure myself. :lol:

Carolyn
May 14th, 2009, 01:13 PM
My goal is to be able to sit on the ends. I was just barely there when I gave it a good trim last year. I want to get back there plus a little more.

rhondalicious
May 14th, 2009, 01:33 PM
I want to be able to make a braid that goes all the way around my head! I'm halfway there, and I've been growing for 3 years from a super-short bob...

helen2806
May 14th, 2009, 01:39 PM

It made sense to me! I want to be able to do that, too, because I can't do a French plait across (my hair doesn't seem to like lying in the wrong direction).

I get what you're saying, I saw that style and it was a motivation for me in part :D

Yay! :D glad it wasn't too much of a ramble to decipher... anyway yes I can't wait to actually be able to do it!

snowbear
May 14th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Yep! I'm growing to see what my terminal length is. I made it to 40" before I trimmed, and there's not much taper at all. I might make it to floor--if I don't get tried of it first.

I'm also growing out bangs, and they're just past shoulder-length, so it'll be a few years before my hair will be all one length.

Nes
May 14th, 2009, 02:17 PM
I want hair the same as my mother had when she was in her 20's which is classic length. Seeing pictures of her hair when I was a child made me resolve to one day have the same.

Nes x

RancheroTheBee
May 14th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Do you mean like Rachael in Blade Runner? I love that style! There's a scene where she take it down and I'd guess it's about APL curly.

My goal is based on a length I had before, so I know what it takes, but the one braid around the head like Princess Leia is what I'm shooting for and 44" is what it needs to work on me.

!!!

That's awesome! That's where I'll be in a year!

:) Way to make my day.

Aries_jb
May 14th, 2009, 02:48 PM
My goal length will be when my hair looks long. My hair is waist length wet, but since it's curly it springs up to a few inches shy of BSL.

Islandgrrl
May 14th, 2009, 03:22 PM
My stated goal has always been: Terminal.

But you bring up an interesting question and in thinking about the answer I've come up with: When it feels long enough.

I don't have a specific style in mind because, well, I'm seriously challenged when it comes to accomplishing all but the most basic of styles/updos.

I'm almost at waist now, and I'm not unhappy with this length at all. I'm just not done yet. I figure I'll know when I am and when I get wherever that is, I'll maintain.

Sounds good to me, anyway.

AmyJorgensen
May 14th, 2009, 03:29 PM
florenonite-- you should easily be able to do an infinity bun at waist length unless your hair is crazy thick. I've noticed that thick hair takes a little more length to do twisting styles than does thinner hair. Mine is 4" in diameter and I can do one large infinity bun with about a 6" little ponytail left over dangling from below the middle of the bun. My current length is about 31" ( I had a little trim).

Locksmith
May 14th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I want to grow my hair long enough to be able to wrap a single 3-strand even non-tapering plait around my head. With ease. :)

(Also being able to walk around topless and cover my modesty with my hair would be awesome. :P)

helen2806
May 14th, 2009, 03:54 PM
...I want to be able to plait a section at the front and it be long enough to bring upwards and put right across my hairline in an Alice-band style as I think it'd be easier than my current French-plait-across version...

just tried this and it is possible - I'll need maybe 5 more inches of growth to comfortably reach across my head though, I had to stop about 80% of the way this time!

ETA: uploaded photos of this attempt to my album :)

viking_quest
May 14th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Frankly, I'd be really happy at the hair length where I can braid it into two English braids and then pin them across the top like Lolita. But I also want people who haven't seen me before to go, wow your hair is long.

Kiraela
May 14th, 2009, 04:12 PM
I want a braid that is at or near tailbone. Classic length down is my stated goal, but I think my hair shrinks too much in braids for that. I guess I'll just have to grow longer!

enfys
May 14th, 2009, 04:43 PM
!!!

That's awesome! That's where I'll be in a year!

:) Way to make my day.

My guess was wrong, it looks shorter, and bigger than I remembered, but I found a pic here

http://blurejs.blox.pl/resource/deckard_i_rachel.jpg

I think it took a fair bit of teasing and backcombing to do with that length hair, whereas I can get rolls like that without teasing because the hair rolls a lot of times! Invest in some rats, or make some and I bet by the time you get the rolling technique down (it's hard to get symmetry) you'll have enough hair to do it lol,

And can I just say I hate that bird for getting to kiss Harrison Ford :eyebrows:

Annushka
May 14th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Count me in as yet another who wishes for a coronet braid, whatever length that ends up being for me.

UncommonTart
May 14th, 2009, 08:19 PM
I rather like the idea of having the end of my French braid reach tailbone length. I have no idea what that corresponds to in normal, loose hair length, though

GlassEyes
May 14th, 2009, 08:32 PM
I want a classic length braid.

That means at least classic for me. On MOST people, it'd be nearing knee length, but liuckily, I have curls to SUCK THAT UP for me. D<

Dr. GOD
May 14th, 2009, 08:36 PM
I decided that I won't cut my hair until a little girl calls me Rapunzel.
I would also like to be identified as "that girl with long hair".

Flynn
May 14th, 2009, 10:23 PM
The nearest thing I have to a "goal" is the fact I kinda think I'd like to be able to wrap my braid around my head. I think it'd have to be unmanageably long to do that, though, so maybe not.

MadPirateBippy
May 14th, 2009, 11:57 PM
I want my hair to be long enough that it feels long. However, I've mentioned only half joking that I have hair anorexia (I have tailbone length hair that I am deeply, emotionally convinced is SHORT), so it will just have to get longer.

I'd love to have to trim to keep my hair from touching the ground when I'm standing.

JamieLeigh
May 15th, 2009, 09:05 AM
I want my hair to grow until it stops. I have no idea what length that will be, which makes it exciting to me! :D (Of course, I'm trying to keep it blunt along the way for as long as possible to keep up my thickness....)

Merewen
May 15th, 2009, 09:19 AM
My length goal isn't super-specific. But I have been drooling over some of the updos here. I'd love to be able to pull off a Chinese bun with braids.

aisling
May 15th, 2009, 09:32 AM
I want to have as long as possible hair that I enjoy, which means I like how it look down, I can wear it down every now and then without too much hassle and I don't feel that taking care of it is too much work. I'm at tailbone length now and all above is still valid, so I'll just keep on growing.

florenonite
May 15th, 2009, 11:25 AM
I have another goal: I know that it irritates ya'll but I want to hear the LoL comment (though now it will be many years away) :D

I want this comment, too, though LoL seems to only really be prevalent in the US.

florenonite-- you should easily be able to do an infinity bun at waist length unless your hair is crazy thick. I've noticed that thick hair takes a little more length to do twisting styles than does thinner hair. Mine is 4" in diameter and I can do one large infinity bun with about a 6" little ponytail left over dangling from below the middle of the bun. My current length is about 31" ( I had a little trim).

Hmm, waist is only 29" on me, but from the sounds of that that should still be enough length for an infinity. I'm a bit below BSL now, and I actually got a rather tentative infinity a few weeks ago. It would have probably stayed up with pins, but I tend to just use sticks so it fell out by lunchtime.

I want a classic length braid.

That means at least classic for me. On MOST people, it'd be nearing knee length, but liuckily, I have curls to SUCK THAT UP for me. D<

Of course, the curls sucking it up also means that you'll have to have a lot of hair to have "long" hair :p I think curly hair's beautiful, but the speed at which it visibly grows would drive me mad.

creativehoney
May 15th, 2009, 11:19 PM
I want to grow mine back to the small of my back. Is that how to say/spell that?

I just guessed what I thought it would be in inches for my goal length..
For me that's the perfect length.

Paniculata
May 15th, 2009, 11:30 PM
To be honest, I just want it to grow until it stops. When I started refusing to have my hair cut at 13, I didnt really have a long-hair goal I just knew I never wanted to cut my hair again (the obvious side-effect being long hair hah!).

Its been 9 years since and has gone from on my shoulders to behind my knees. I dont think it will get much longer, which is good, because there isnt much more of me to go until the floor lol. But who knows? Ill wait and see where it feels like stopping.

Its incredibly fine so isnt too heavy to wear in a bun daily so a little extra length would be ok. I would worry that if it got past my height in length that I couldnt wear it out (I step on it enough as it is when bending over etc) without having it in a half pony-tail or something to take up some of the length etc.

Furiana
May 16th, 2009, 03:37 PM

Anyway, before I get there, I'd just die to have a great rear view with straight-across waist length hair. I hope I don't sound too perverted here, but I think it's just jaw-droppingly mesmerizing when I see a girl/woman walking with an even or U-shaped hemline, with healthy ends swinging outwards and inwards in the small of her back, and it looks even more amazing if she has a nice butt!

Me too! :D I'd love my hair to swing like that. Just the tips, though: one, two inches. :cloud9:

My back is deeply curved, so I only have 1/2" or so to go!

Natalia
May 17th, 2009, 01:44 PM

I want to grow my hair long enough to be able to wrap a single 3-strand even non-tapering plait around my head. With ease. :)

(Also being able to walk around topless and cover my modesty with my hair would be awesome. :P)

Lol you two make me giggle! I do/think EXACTLY the same things! Before i get in the shower or if im changing in front of a mirror i like to try to cover all my lady bits :p i think i might be able to if my hair were thicker its more of a peek a bo thing right now :o. And i totally check out girls and their hair.... very mezmirizing.

Medievalhair
May 17th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Be able to Braid my hair in a french herringbone and wrap around head a couple times, so it would probaly need to be knee to calf length to do that.

Katurday
May 17th, 2009, 02:12 PM
I want hair that reaches just to my mid waist in a V-hemline, so it accentuates how small my waist is, but the V reaches my tailbone so it brings attention to my bum.
(Like a big arrow)

I guess I'd like hair long enough to be natural, shiny, and still make men stare.

AlleyKitten
May 17th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Since my goal has kept changing as my hair has gotten longer, I've decided to stop pretending that I have a goal, rather than just loving it being long, and say that I'll grow it as long as it will go. In practice, though, if it starts being too heavy when up, or impossible to comb because it's longer than my arms, or otherwise gets too hard to take care of and keep as nice as I want it, I'll probably trim it back to the longest length that I can manage (I really need to trim now, my ends are all scuzzy, but I *just* made it to tailbone and I can't give that up!).

Zindell
May 18th, 2009, 03:56 AM
Two criterias must be fulfilled for my goal length:

1. I want it to look good on me (I have a feeling I won't like the look of myself with too long hair)
2. It should be easy to maintain (wash, braid etc)

So far so good. It's nearing BSL and I still like the look and it's very easy to maintain. So I am still growing it! :D

Guenever
May 18th, 2009, 04:03 AM

second that!! :D

Silver & Gold
May 18th, 2009, 06:32 AM
For me having a goal length is silly because I have no true basis for knowing what length my hair can attain since the longest I can remember having my hair is somewhere between collarbone and APL. Also I've never known any woman in my family who has grown their hair longer than this so I don't have relatives to look at for an educated guess.

I don't like the thought of setting a goal length that is unrealistic for my genetics and the truth is, I don't know how I'll feel about my hair at various lengths. That said, I do love the idea of at least having hair that reaches my tailbone so in my secret heart of hearts I would love to shoot for that length.

However I believe my goal is simply to grow out and eventually lose to shedding or trim off the hair that had been previously processed and have a long head of healthy hair. If at some point I think my hair is too long for me to handle or enjoy the look I suppose I'll choose a length to trim and maintain but until then I'm just kinda growing to see if I can find "where it stops by itself".

Tangles
May 19th, 2009, 09:40 PM
I would like to be able to wrap a braid around my head. Since I have a small head, and medium-thickness hair, I could be able to do this as soon as waist and definitely no later than TB.

LovingLife
May 20th, 2009, 04:51 AM
My first length goal is somewhere between Shoulder Blades and BSL. It really is when I can swing my hair properly, and also need to double over hair to do styles! :D

LovingLife
May 20th, 2009, 04:54 AM
I'd also like hair I could shake out of a really complicated bun and just go (I know this probably only happens on shampoo and dye ads!) :D

Kiraela
May 20th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Lovinglife: If I make sure to detangle my hair thoroughly before putting it up for the day, I can do that - Take out my sticks, clips, or pins, shake my head to make my hair fall, and go.

I don't know how well it would work on supercurly or superstraight hair, though. Probably fairly well!

Delilah
May 20th, 2009, 02:34 PM

More trouble than it's worth... this is the reason I had to learn to sleep with a cap on.
Too many instances of me yelling and smacking the bf when he rolled over on to a chunk of my hair.
I guess I'm not very nice if I get my hair pulled while I am asleep. I don't remember doing it.

As far as my goal, I just want it long. Maybe tb, and even at the bottom. Nothing's set in stone.

ladylibra
May 20th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Still sort of length-based I suppose... I want my hair to be long enough to look collarbone length or armpit length in its curly/shrunken state. Currently the longest layer in the back just barely touches my shoulders and it's midback length so... I will have to be at least waist length to achieve the look I'm going for.

Chromis
May 20th, 2009, 02:41 PM
I just want to see how long it grow myself! No specific length an I can already do the style I wanted to do the most before which is a coronet braid. I now have enough hair that I have too much for it almost and will need to make a bun at the base until I can fully wrap it twice.

Unofficial_Rose
May 20th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Long term, I would like to be able to do some sort of bun with braid accents. I have a long wait ahead of me.

While I am waiting, I would really like it to be long enough to be "age-inappropriate" ;) And if people say so, I might derive a perverse sense of enjoyment from that. Seeing as I'm 45 and hair is nearly to shoulders, maybe the other side of Christmas?

SammieEve
May 20th, 2009, 03:28 PM
My goal is to be able to wear my hair down and curly without it shrinking higher than my shoulders. Ideally I would like bsl length curly hair. Pulled straight my hair is about 1/2 inch or maybe 1 inch from waist and it still shrinks up to sit just above my shoulders (about 10 inches of shrinkage!). So I'm not sure how much longer I would have to get to reach my goal.

deko
May 20th, 2009, 03:42 PM
I will settle for a waist-lenght plait. Or a very healthy blunt cut waist lenght. (or at least longer than this, I'm still stalling)

pepperedmoth
May 20th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Yes! I want it to brush the seat of the chair when I'm sitting down. Couldn't tell you why. But THAT'S my length goal . . . I've got a long ways yet! Not even sure if my hair will do that . . . but I'll see.

CurlyOne
May 20th, 2009, 08:47 PM
My goal is to get my thickness back. When I fist started LHC I tried CO and my hair did not like it at all. Massive shedding all around and it was bad! So I am keeping it shorter for now and once everything kind of catches back up I am going to go longer again.

CinnamonCurls
May 21st, 2009, 12:35 AM
I guess my goals were set by Jasmine and Ariel in the cartoons. But I am just shooting for terminal, with floor length as my dream...but I can't fight my genetics, and my mother was only even classic as a non-trimmer, but since I am a blunt cut, thick curly girl it is taking forever to get it back out to my longest ever...

I guess that's my first goal to surpass, my longest when I had those tapering, unhealthy fairytail ends it was past 45"...so to beat that with a gorgeous healthy, thick, blunt cut would be my first goal...a little ways to go yet!!

Renbirde
May 21st, 2009, 01:17 AM
My cousin got her very wavy hair to mid thigh. I'd like to equal that, and knee or ankle length would be amazing...

florenonite
May 21st, 2009, 06:11 AM
More trouble than it's worth... this is the reason I had to learn to sleep with a cap on.
Too many instances of me yelling and smacking the bf when he rolled over on to a chunk of my hair.
I guess I'm not very nice if I get my hair pulled while I am asleep. I don't remember doing it.

I make screeching noises like a cat meowing when DBF rolls on my hair. I plait it before bed, but bits invariably escape the plait and get rolled on.