PDA

View Full Version : Feye's Self-Trim Question

florenonite
May 14th, 2009, 06:52 AM
I'm thinking I'll do a small self-trim before I go home at the start of June. On the one hand, I'm really close to my goal length and had wanted to go a year without trimming, but on the other hand my ends are really quite bad and whenever I brush my hair it's fine until I get to the ends, where it invariably gets stuck. I want nice pretty ends again, so I want to do a small (1/4") self-trim.

My other reason for wanting to trim is because when I go home my mum, upon seeing my ends, will probably try to take me to a hairdresser and I'll end up back where I was in September if she succeeds. If she doesn't succeed I'll just be stuck with her nagging me all summer.

I have a slight U-shape to my hemline already, so I'm going to go with the slight-U trim. However, I'm a bit incompetent and I'm worried that I'll end up with one side shorter than the other. How do those of you who do either a U or V self-trim make sure that both sides end up the same length?

ktani
May 14th, 2009, 08:15 AM
I use her method for a straight across hemline but the answer to your question is the same for all variations. You want to take off the same amount from both sides.

I "eye" it and then pull down each side in front (one in each hand between my fingers), comparing them. You need to be relaxed and calm. A mistake can be easily fixed, if you do not panic.

Pixna
May 14th, 2009, 08:42 AM
I agree with what ktani said. If your hair is already even on both sides, you can just trim off the same amount on each side and you'll be all set. If, however, the sides are not even, just pull both sides down after you do the trim to check the length and evenness and do another slight trim on one side if it is too long. Just take off the tiniest amount to start. Get comfortable doing your own trims before you take off more. The 1/4-inch trim you are considering would be perfect.

It's important to hold your head as straight as possible -- don't look down or up. STAND IN FRONT OF A GOOD MIRROR IN GOOD LIGHTING! Keep your head at the same exact angle when you trim each side. Comb your hair as smooth as possible (just like Feye says to do) when you do each side.

I know it's scary at first, but it really is very easy. As ktani said, just relax. It's important to trim when you are feeling calm, confident, and in control.

florenonite
May 14th, 2009, 08:58 AM
You both make it sound like it's easy to trim the same amount off each side :p Maybe I should try 1/8" on either side first, then slowly take off a wee bit more on both sides to even it up. I'm slightly terrified about this :p

ktani
May 14th, 2009, 09:05 AM
You both make it sound like it's easy to trim the same amount off each side :p Maybe I should try 1/8" on either side first, then slowly take off a wee bit more on both sides to even it up. I'm slightly terrified about this :p

It actually is easy. You need to follow the directions carefully (on how to hold your head for which hemline) and do not obsess about exact measurement. Get an idea of what 1/8th of and inch looks like so that you are comfortable with what that would be on hair length.

Firefly
May 14th, 2009, 09:10 AM
I totally hear you... it only took me YEARS to try it! :rolleyes: But Ktani and Pixna are right, you will be amazed at how easy it really is. I just "eyeball" it and try to take the same amount off both sides. I then put it all back and have someone (usually DH) look at it to make sure it looks even. So far it has been and I haven't had to do any additional evening up. Piece of cake!

Good luck. :)

Pixna
May 14th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Again, I agree. If you take off just a wee bit to start (like 1/8 inch), you won't do any harm. You need to get the feel of the scissors in your hand (I am assuming you have purchased high-quality hair-cutting shears, right?!?) and how to best hold the hair between your fingers (each side will be a little different, depending on whether you use your right or left hand to hold the scissors). It takes a slight bit of trial and error to get the hang of it, but if you only lightly dust the ends, the chances of error are almost nil. Remember YOU (not the scissors) are in control (unlike a salon, where you have no control at all).

Heidi_234
May 14th, 2009, 09:24 AM
florenonite, try to do a self-trim demo first. Follow the instructions without holding scissors. After you practiced the movements one time, it will give you much more confidence. You'll see how easy it is, and many people here do it without a problem, so surely you can too.

florenonite
May 14th, 2009, 09:29 AM
florenonite, try to do a self-trim demo first. Follow the instructions without holding scissors. After you practiced the movements one time, it will give you much more confidence. You'll see how easy it is, and many people here do it without a problem, so surely you can too.

That's a good idea, I'll have to do that!

Darscilla
May 14th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Oooh, I'm scared to try it too, for the same reason. I would dearly love a v-shaped hemline, but I know that if I didn't get the point of the V exactly central, it would really bother me. I've got visions of having to keep trimming and trimming shorter and shorter to get it right and ending up back at BSL or worse :(

enfys
May 14th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Oooh, I'm scared to try it too, for the same reason. I would dearly love a v-shaped hemline, but I know that if I didn't get the point of the V exactly central, it would really bother me. I've got visions of having to keep trimming and trimming shorter and shorter to get it right and ending up back at BSL or worse :(

To achieve that I think you need to be more accurate about your parting and keeping your head straight as can be.

For a U I'm never so fussy. I usually do two littler trims at once anyway, so I have less ends missed. Having a few hairs a half or quarter inch longer than the others bothers me more than symmetry!

ktani
May 14th, 2009, 10:18 AM
To achieve that I think you need to be more accurate about your parting and keeping your head straight as can be.

For a U I'm never so fussy. I usually do two littler trims at once anyway, so I have less ends missed. Having a few hairs a half or quarter inch longer than the others bothers me more than symmetry!

Years ago I cut my own hair when it was about shoulder length. I did it twice perfectly. The 3rd time I cut one side 3 inches shorter than the other. The worst case scenerio. I just went to a stylist and had it evened out.

Feye's method is very easy. It works better IMO, the longer the hair is (to grasp). But not panicing is key IMO. You can always get it fixed if you go nuts. If you make a mistake and get too scared, stop immediately and try again later or get help.

Feye
May 14th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Let me know if you have any questions. If the instructions are unclear I'll be happy to edit them. :)
Good luck!

Heidi_234
May 14th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Let me know if you have any questions. If the instructions are unclear I'll be happy to edit them. :)
Good luck!
Feye, I'm so glad I've got a chance to bring it up - I remember a while ago there was a discussion about self trimming and one LHCer said that tilting the head forward instead of backward or the other way around (can't remember!) results a better U trim. Or maybe it was some other little trick, I really can't remember. I wasn't considering hemline trimming so I didn't pay attention, but now that it is important to me, do you remember something like that? Do you remember what was it?

Feye
May 14th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Feye, I'm so glad I've got a chance to bring it up - I remember a while ago there was a discussion about self trimming and one LHCer said that tilting the head forward instead of backward or the other way around (can't remember!) results a better U trim. Or maybe it was some other little trick, I really can't remember. I wasn't considering hemline trimming so I didn't pay attention, but now that it is important to me, do you remember something like that? Do you remember what was it?

I'll look at the instructions again to see if they make sense.

What I do now (my current sig pic is a slight U-shape) is to first tilt my head so that I look toward the roof, comb the hair so that it falls in front of me instead of behind me, and grab the ends and trim off a little amount (repeat x times until satisfied). Then I hold the head up looking straight forward and trim off a little amount again (repeat x times until satisfied). Finally I ponytail it behind my back and snip off a little amount from the ponytail (repeat x times until satisfied). It doesn't really matter if you ponytail while looking straight ahead or while looking toward the floor when you do the U-shape, at least not on my hair.

I'm not sure that's helpful at all, it might sound confusing. If it does, I'll try again :D

florenonite
May 14th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Good luck!

I'm just rereading the instructions right now, and one thing I noticed with the instructions is that it says "Part your hair in the middle, all the way down to the back of the head." I never part my hair in the middle, always to the side; I actually find it uncomfortable parting it any other way. Would I be better off parting as usual and then parting in the middle from the crown to the nape or parting all my hair in the centre when it's wet?

Feye
May 14th, 2009, 11:46 AM
I'm just rereading the instructions right now, and one thing I noticed with the instructions is that it says "Part your hair in the middle, all the way down to the back of the head." I never part my hair in the middle, always to the side; I actually find it uncomfortable parting it any other way. Would I be better off parting as usual and then parting in the middle from the crown to the nape or parting all my hair in the centre when it's wet?

Yes, I need to update that bit.

I never part my hair in the middle anymore either, so I've just been trimming with my usual side part. If you ever decide to change your part later, you can just comb your hair through and snip off any unevenness after you've changed your part.

florenonite
May 14th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Yes, I need to update that bit.

I never part my hair in the middle anymore either, so I've just been trimming with my usual side part. If you ever decide to change your part later, you can just comb your hair through and snip off any unevenness after you've changed your part.

Ok, thanks! That makes it easier.

Feye
May 14th, 2009, 11:51 AM
You're welcome! I remember that when going to a salon, hairdressers like to trim with the usual part also.

Heidi_234
May 14th, 2009, 12:06 PM
I'll look at the instructions again to see if they make sense.

What I do now (my current sig pic is a slight U-shape) is to first tilt my head so that I look toward the roof, comb the hair so that it falls in front of me instead of behind me, and grab the ends and trim off a little amount (repeat x times until satisfied). Then I hold the head up looking straight forward and trim off a little amount again (repeat x times until satisfied). Finally I ponytail it behind my back and snip off a little amount from the ponytail (repeat x times until satisfied). It doesn't really matter if you ponytail while looking straight ahead or while looking toward the floor when you do the U-shape, at least not on my hair.

I'm not sure that's helpful at all, it might sound confusing. If it does, I'll try again :D
I think I got it lol. Thanks for the explanation. I did you're blunt hemline self trim on my longest bottom layer and it work beautifully.
btw, something I thought of - could higher ponytail result mild layering? I suppose some people do want some layers (not me :scared:), and I notice high ponytail 'shortens' the nape layers in comparison to the canopy layer. So, theoretically, if a persons does high ponytail and ties another elastic that s/he slides down the length and trim accordingly, that could result in layers. Just careful not to do the ponytail too high, or else you'd end with reverse layers :scared:

MsBubbles
May 14th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Feye - whilst you're here...I do the blunt cut but sometimes it looks lopsided (longer on the right hand side than on the left). Any idea why? I am right-handed.

I've noticed now that my layers and V hemline are gone, it's harder for me to get the scissors through the ends to cut them at the end of the ponytail. Any suggestions?

Feye
May 14th, 2009, 12:12 PM
I think I got it lol. Thanks for the explanation. I did you're blunt hemline self trim on my longest bottom layer and it work beautifully.
btw, something I thought of - could higher ponytail result mild layering? I suppose some people do want some layers (not me :scared:), and I notice high ponytail 'shortens' the nape layers in comparison to the canopy layer. So, theoretically, if a persons does high ponytail and ties another elastic that s/he slides down the length and trim accordingly, that could result in layers. Just careful not to do the ponytail too high, or else you'd end with reverse layers :scared:

Yes, a high ponytail would cause the nape hairs to travel first up towards the elastic or scrunchie and then down again, thus taking a longer road than the canopy hairs. When snipping off the end of the ponytail this would cause the canopy to be cut shorter than the nape hairs, although I've never tried it myself. It's quite a creative idea! :D

Feye
May 14th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Feye - whilst you're here...I do the blunt cut but sometimes it looks lopsided (longer on the right hand side than on the left). Any idea why? I am right-handed.

I've noticed now that my layers and V hemline are gone, it's harder for me to get the scissors through the ends to cut them at the end of the ponytail. Any suggestions?

I have that happen sometimes too. I'm thinking that it would help to have someone else pull the scrunchie down, so that the other person really makes sure that it's not crooked. It might also be when pulling the hair forward over the shoulder (when grabbing the end of the ponytail to snip it off) that some hairs get pulled in the process. I think that it is a good idea to not pull the scrunchie all the way to the ends of the ponytail, but rather leave it further up before it starts to slide.

If the ends are blunt they're more difficult to cut. Perhaps doing a small V-shape first (1/4 inch while the hair is combed in front of you, looking toward the roof) and then ponytail for a straight-across and snip off 1/4 of the ponytail too? This would remove a little of the bluntness, I think. Has anyone tried this before?

MsBubbles
May 14th, 2009, 12:20 PM
I have that happen sometimes too. I'm thinking that it would help to have someone else pull the scrunchie down, so that the other person really makes sure that it's not crooked. It might also be when pulling the hair forward over the shoulder (when grabbing the end of the ponytail to snip it off) that some hairs get pulled in the process. I think that it is a good idea to not pull the scrunchie all the way to the ends of the ponytail, but rather leave it further up before it starts to slide.

Do you think - once it's long enough - that pulling it straight up over the top of your head would be a good idea instead of over one shoulder?

Feye
May 14th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Do you think - once it's long enough - that pulling it straight up over the top of your head would be a good idea instead of over one shoulder?

Sure! Although my hair's not that long yet so I can't try it myself. But it sounds like a good idea!

MsBubbles
May 14th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Sure! Although my hair's not that long yet so I can't try it myself. But it sounds like a good idea!

Ok I'll try it next time, and will try to come up with a way of holding my hair between my fingers, or holding the scissors so I cut straight, not diagonally upwards or downwards :hmm: :bigeyes:

GoddesJourney
May 14th, 2009, 12:42 PM
I just braved it one day and figured it out on the first try. My mom used to cut my hair so I paid a lot of attention to how she did it. Also, I watched closely the few times in my life I actually went to a hairdresser. What works for me (because my hair is not quite straight) is to oil my hair with coconut oil before I cut it. That way I can moisturize while keeping "wet" hair that's sticky enough to make cutting it very easy. I have observed this phenomenon over and over that if I want my hair to "just dry already" it can remain wet all day, but if I want it to stay wet, it will start to dry in about five minutes. Eventually, I found out that I dry it with my hands when I play with it. I actually use this method to dry my hair faster. It's like a bird preening feathers after a bath. So the oil is the only way I can do it.

ktani
May 14th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Good luck!

I am so glad that you posted. I get to thank you for your wonderful method. Thank you so much!

florenonite
May 15th, 2009, 11:06 AM

I read that one member pulls it over one shoulder, snips off a bit, then pulls it over the other shoulder and snips off a bit and it comes out even. You might want to try it like that in future and see if it works.

I came here last night to say that I did my trim, but my internet was down and only just now has returned. Having done the trim, I looked at my hair in the mirror, and looking at it you can't see a difference! I can feel one, though, and therefore succeeding in doing exactly what I intended :D

Pixna
May 15th, 2009, 11:52 AM
That's great, florenonite!! Glad you had exactly the success you wanted!! (See, it was easy, wasn't it?)

florenonite
May 15th, 2009, 11:56 AM
That's great, florenonite!! Glad you had exactly the success you wanted!! (See, it was easy, wasn't it?)

Hehe, yeah, it wasn't nearly as scary as I'd thought :D