PDA

View Full Version : How is this possible?

ilovelonghair
May 14th, 2009, 04:27 AM
This is so weird, this is my ponytail circumference:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=44&pictureid=35320

And the weird thing is that my partners ponytail circumference isn't that much more then mine, but:

my hair isn't that thick:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=44&pictureid=35219

But my partners hair is really thick:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=44&pictureid=39162

so how is this possible?

It's a mystery to me, he got 3 times more hair then me I think, so why the little difference in circumference?

enfys
May 14th, 2009, 04:29 AM
Could it be an optical illusion? His hair looks bigger because it's wavier, maybe?

ilovelonghair
May 14th, 2009, 04:38 AM
I thought that too, but it feels much thicker

Niphredil
May 14th, 2009, 04:38 AM
His hair has more volume and structure than yours. There is more air between the strands thus the strands are further apart.
Your hair on the other hand is a lot sleeker. You have bodywave but the strands look to be closer together.

Based on these pictures I'd say you are more 1b/c, he is more 2a/b.
My hair has a smaller circumference when I measure it either wet/damp or greasy than when I measure just after it has dried. His looks more because of the way his hair behaves, not because he has more of it :)

Niphredil
May 14th, 2009, 04:39 AM
I thought that too, but it feels much thicker
His hair might be coarser than yours too.

MemSahib
May 14th, 2009, 06:26 AM
You can see my hair in my siggy. I am 1aFii — make that babyfine. My hair lies flat and sleek and the volume appears to be scanty, although my circumference has always measured 3.25", not including my bangs and side wispies. This puts me smack into a medium thickness. My sister-in-law has curly/wavy hair which has a lot of lift and movement and she keeps it short enough to fluff around her face. You can pick up a handful of her hair and then a handful of mine and you will instantly know that I've got a LOT more hair than she does, but it doesn't look like it at all because mine lies sleekly while hers is fluffy. The curl/wave pattern of some hair makes individual strands move away from each other and creates the appearance of greater volume. Straight strands lie against one another and look like less hair.

Make sense?

Heidi_234
May 14th, 2009, 06:48 AM
I think you have some taper going on. You look at his thick hemline and you fairytale endings and compare them. This is wrong, look at the length that is brushing against your neck, it is full and thick. Also, I have to agree, his hair is wavier than yours, and doesn't lie compactly and looks like 'more hair'. Wavier hair tends to puff up, especially when brushed.

Kirin
May 14th, 2009, 06:53 AM
To me it simply looks like a texture difference. His hair looks coarser, with a tiny bit of frizz making the hair pouf out a little bit, plus the wave. Also, the blunt hemline is giving him a fuller look.

ilovelonghair
May 17th, 2009, 06:16 AM
I think you have some taper going on. You look at his thick hemline and you fairytale endings and compare them.

I have a massive taper, I'm still cutting it out, it takes ages to get rid of. My hair might look sleek, but normally it's kind of dry and fluffy, only his hair is much more fluffier. I brush my curls out, they don't hold as well as his (he got even more curls now, the picture above is an old one)
His hair is indeed coarser, but it still can't be classified as coarse (I've seen much coarser hair then his), mine isn't fine, it's more medium, but it's certainly much softer then his.