PDA

View Full Version : Is you hair thicker on one side?

whiteisle
May 13th, 2009, 05:28 PM
My hair has always been thicker/more dense on my left side and the discrepency is made worse by my preferring to part on the right side therefore making more hair fall to the left and making the right side look rather thin.

Sometimes I compensate by parting in the middle or parting to the opposite side (which bothers me immensely - my hair is constantly falling in my face that way).

Is this normal for most people, that you have more hair on one side? Does it drive anyone else crazy? :rolleyes:

Nyghtingale
May 13th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I wear mine parted in the middle and it's about even.

lirael
May 13th, 2009, 05:40 PM
You're not alone! My hair is thicker and grows faster on the left side of my head. I noticed it when I didn't trim for a year- the left side was noticeably longer! I think this is pretty common, just like it's common to have slightly different length fingers and such.
I don't think I'm asymmetrical enough for anyone else to notice by looking at it, but sometimes I part it on the side to even it out anyway.

zen_oven
May 13th, 2009, 05:40 PM
I tend to wear a side part on the left, so it looks like I have a bit more hair on the right. I guess I'm just so used to it that it doesn't bother me much.

GlennaGirl
May 13th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Yes. And the side it's thicker on grows more slowly. :) Talk about weird!

I have to trim my left side every once in a blue moon when it gets way noticeably longer than my right side.

However...I often wear a part slightly off-center (with the longer, left-hand side swept over to the right, hence compensating with a bit of "longer" hair) so it's not really as noticeable until quite a few months go by. After that there's really no denying it.

Ponytale
May 13th, 2009, 06:27 PM
I have this EXACT problem. I tried parting in the center and the other side, but cowlicks prevent it from laying decently. I have had this problem all my life when I remember and look at old pictures. Hopefully your new part will work better than mine did!

whiteisle
May 13th, 2009, 06:33 PM
I guess it's true........misery loves company! :p So glad to know I'm not the only one who feels lopsided. LOL!

longhairedfairy
May 13th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Yep, it's normal. I think mine is thicker on the left, but I always forget.

viking_quest
May 13th, 2009, 06:43 PM
I just found out today that my right side has less hair than my left side. I made a center part and did double buns and one was massive and the other looked like a normal size.

Longlocks3
May 13th, 2009, 07:02 PM
All my hair is in the back. I really have thin hair on both sides. If I make a braid the middle bunch of hair is huge and the side bunches are tiny.

rhubarbarin
May 13th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Most of my head it seem even, but the right front is much thicker than the left front.

Kina
May 13th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Yes. And the side it's thicker on grows more slowly. :) Talk about weird!

I have to trim my left side every once in a blue moon when it gets way noticeably longer than my right side.

However...I often wear a part slightly off-center (with the longer, left-hand side swept over to the right, hence compensating with a bit of "longer" hair) so it's not really as noticeable until quite a few months go by. After that there's really no denying it.

How'd you get my head? Mine is exactly the same, and I do exactly the same fix.

GlennaGirl
May 13th, 2009, 09:36 PM
How'd you get my head? Mine is exactly the same, and I do exactly the same fix.

Ha ha...so I have finally found my secret twin, separated at birth... :p Crazy, isn't it?

inertia
May 14th, 2009, 12:52 AM
My hair is thicker on the right side. I don't think it's noticeable to anyone except me and my hair stylist.

Natalia
May 14th, 2009, 02:11 AM
I am considerably thicker on my left side as well. Since this big shed ive been dealing with i can no longer part my hair i always have to wear it back becasue i look half bald no matter where i part it :(. So your certainly not alone. Odd isnt it that left side thickness seems dominat?

Nera
May 14th, 2009, 03:07 AM
I have more hair on the right!

boukje
May 14th, 2009, 03:09 AM
I never thought my hair is or looks thicker at the left side of my head, but it does grow faster, I find that quite odd.

whiteisle
May 14th, 2009, 05:24 AM
hmmmm....I never thought about the possibility of my hair growing faster on one side or the other. I just always assumed my stylist couldn't cut straight. Ha! :p

embee
May 14th, 2009, 05:25 AM
I've always thought of my hair as being thinner on the right, but when I part in the middle and wear it slicked back it's pretty even, so maybe it's all in my imagination???

When I was young and wore my hair loose (and shorter) I always parted on the left so there *was* more hair on the right. Maybe that's why the right seems thinner to me, because I'm used to "extra" hair over there?

Julesn
May 14th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Oh my...... :)

As I've gotten older, I believe that a section on my left side has thinned out considerably :( I do have a cowlick right in that same area so when it separates it's NOT a good scene. It looks almost like a mini bald spot (no one would really notice this but me, I think). Who knows...it could have been something I've had for my whole life but maybe I never noticed b/c my hair has always been pretty long (until the last couple of years when I cut it short...BUT...it's growing now :) Yay! About 2 inches until I get to my collarbone).

Anyway, what I find usually helps is changing the part to that side so that the hair from the opposite side falls in that direction & kind of "thickens" it up a bit.

Sarahmoon
May 14th, 2009, 08:21 AM
No, or at least not noticeably, but I do notice one side seems to grow faster than the other :?

Aisha25
May 14th, 2009, 08:26 AM
My hairs is weird. My left side is much thicker than the right, but the right side grows twice as fast as the left side,strange isnt it. :confused: So I have to trim the right side more then the left side :rolleyes:

UrsaMama
May 16th, 2009, 06:48 PM
My hair is thicker on the left side. I notice it when I'm night braiding or any other divided style but I don't think it's really noticable visually. I don't know about growth rates....haven't been that observant on that front yet.

hennaphile
May 16th, 2009, 07:23 PM
yes:rolleyes:

blue_nant
May 16th, 2009, 09:48 PM
I have more on my left side than on my right. I tend to part further toward the left because of a cowlick at the center front. I also angle the part leftward when I have a part, otherwise braids are lopsided, etc.

But it's not hugely noticeable, or at least no one but me has ever mentioned it, sorta like the girls being different sizes: when it's not much, it's okay, just a minor inconvenience.

But the thought that one side would actually grow faster I had not considered or noticed. Hmmm

Teazel
May 16th, 2009, 10:57 PM
The right side is noticeably thicker than the left, but the left grows faster. Weird, huh?

I prefer to part on the left, too, so that doesn't help. Still, my hair is thickest at the back of my head, so it might not make that much difference. :hmm:

Dementia1013
May 16th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Yeah, mine is thicker on the left as well. I wonder why that is... perhaps it has something to do with where we favor to part our hair...

Marika
May 17th, 2009, 05:55 AM
My hair is thicker and stronger on the right side and it grows like weed compared to the left side. I haven't trimmed my hair for almost two years and the right side is a lot longer than the left. My eyelashes are also longer on the right side! I've tried to analyze why my hair is like this (do I sleep on the same side all the time etc.) but I really haven't found an answer. I used to trim my right side to match the left but I always ended up regretting it. After four weeks my right side was again a lot longer than the left!:justy:

AuntyClaus
May 17th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Mine is thicker on the left. I don't notice too much until I make a French braid, or double bun.

Rhea
May 17th, 2009, 09:10 AM
My hair is thicker on the left side .

Aisha25
May 17th, 2009, 09:18 AM
The right side is noticeably thicker than the left, but the left grows faster. Weird, huh?

I prefer to part on the left, too, so that doesn't help. Still, my hair is thickest at the back of my head, so it might not make that much difference. :hmm:

:lol: Teazel,sounds like my post:laugh:

Shermie Girl
May 17th, 2009, 09:31 AM
My hair is a little thicker on one side. But my growth rate is consistent all around. :D

sneakybea
May 17th, 2009, 11:22 AM
It's hard to tell, because I part my hair on the left normally, but I do notice that my hair grows thinnest in front of my ears.

ImperfectBrat
May 17th, 2009, 11:24 AM
I think the right side of my head is much thicker. I chalk it up to the fact that I used to pull my hair over my right shoulder to brush so often and lost more hair there.

allege
May 17th, 2009, 03:21 PM
My hair is thicker on my left side, because I tend to sleep on my right side. But I have been making a good effort to change it up and sleep on both sides evenly and I have been noticing some difference.

ccmuffingirl
May 17th, 2009, 03:24 PM
ME TOO! I thought I was some how damaging or breaking my hair on one side. My left side is not as dense/thick as my right, even after I trimmed my hair to make it even. The difference isn't drastic to others, but to me it's obvious.

OMG, I sleep on my left side! Could that be the reason why it's less dense?

flapjack
May 17th, 2009, 03:45 PM
I think both sides of my head are even, but I do know that my hair grows in much thicker in the back than in the crown/top of the head area. Behind the ears, it seems a lot more dense.

GoddesJourney
May 18th, 2009, 01:56 AM
I find that parting my hair on one side for a long time changes the thickness in certain areas. I think it tends to get thinner wherever the part is, probably because it gets the most damage.

drquartz1970
May 18th, 2009, 02:00 AM
I wonder if there's a corelation between how fast your hair grows on the left or right side and whether it might be due to sleeping more on one side of your head then the other when sleeping.

I noticed that my left side of hair was about 1 cm shorter in the early stages of growing it out when it was 8cm and 9cm respectively. I did know that the shorter left side was the side I often sleep on so maybe the weight of the head on the hair on the pillow slowed the growth down a bit?

Doesn't hair grow when you are sleeping and resting?

mwedzi
May 20th, 2009, 12:27 PM
I think I also have more hair on the right side. I know I have more hair on one side. Curiously, I keep forgetting which. So sometimes when I try to compensate for the disparity in my styling, I get it wrong (which side is thicker) and make it worse.

GeoJ
May 20th, 2009, 01:10 PM
I wonder if there's a corelation between how fast your hair grows on the left or right side and whether it might be due to sleeping more on one side of your head then the other when sleeping.

That's interesting. Every night I roll in my sleep, so I sleep on my back, on my stomach, and on both sides every night.

My hair has the same pattern of thickness on both sides. The back is the thickest and the part that would be bangs, if I had them, is the thinnest. But during the day I often part my hair on the left, so all the "bangs" parts hang on my right, making the edge of my hair on the right appear to be thinner and shorter than the rest of my hair.

My hair looks the most even if I part in the middle, but that thin bangs part makes my part too wide in front if I part in the middle (I think I am the only one that notices this).

I usually attribute my thin "bangs" to many years of high, tight hairstyles pulling on those poor hairs. (I am sure the curling irons and tons of hairspray during my teens were also not good to that area- especially when the hot iron got too close to my scalp).

MuzicalH3rb
May 21st, 2009, 04:20 PM
My hair is definately thicker on one side. It drives me crazy sometimes!

Bunnyhare
May 21st, 2009, 05:03 PM
Yes, me too! I have a very thin spot on the front left and a cowlick that prevents me from hiding it! but i try to part it to add to that spot , when it is all up its bare for the world to see..:rolleyes:

Demetrue
May 23rd, 2009, 04:56 PM
YES!! I have a cowlick/thin spot on the right side and no matter what I do, it wants to part there and it looks like I'm bald on the right side over my right ear due to the cowlick - I hate that! I don't even like people to take pictures of me from the right side. I'm also blind in my right eye and ruptured my right ear drum and broke my right foot (I am NOT kidding). Even though I am right-handed, in general, I consider my right side weaker.

Laurenji
May 23rd, 2009, 08:23 PM
My hair is definitely thicker on my left side. I think it's because I sleep on my right side...ever notice how babies sometimes get little bald spots on the back of their head where they lay all the time?