PDA

View Full Version : The way we use language

Ella Menneau P.
May 13th, 2009, 05:27 PM
I think it's funny that the most common way we all express the idea or reducing the length of our hair is using the terms "chop" or "hack." :D So negative! NTTAWWT

Furiana
May 13th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Huh. It's true! Most everything beyond dusting is a chop or a hack! :lol:

fishwich
May 13th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Chopping isn't negative! :D I chop carrots and onions and tomatoes and herbs and they love it.

LHGypsyRose
May 13th, 2009, 06:41 PM
LOL..yeah I have my hubby using the same terms also! He sees a woman with short hair and will say something like, "oh man look at that chopped up hair"! :p

MsBubbles
May 13th, 2009, 07:42 PM
I think it's funny that the most common way we all express the idea or reducing the length of our hair is using the terms "chop" or "hack." :D So negative! NTTAWWT

Oh boy I'm so old. I had to go look NTTAWWT up! Not that there's anything wrong with that :o

It is funny! Plus a 'trim' for me literally has to be measured in millimeters. In some salons a trim is measured in feet. :D

Bene
May 13th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Chopping isn't negative! :D I chop carrots and onions and tomatoes and herbs and they love it.

have you asked the carrots, onions, tomatoes, and herbs how they feel about it? :bigeyes:

ecologystudent
May 13th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Oh boy I'm so old. I had to go look NTTAWWT up! Not that there's anything wrong with that :o

Hey, if you hadn't, I would have had to, and I'm only 20!

vindo
May 13th, 2009, 08:41 PM
I still don't know what NWAAATT something is...:confused:

I always use the term "trim" a chop sounds like a big thing. Hack is quite similar...too dramatic if you actually only trimmed and did not reduce your length by at least 1/4. o_o

Nevermore
May 13th, 2009, 09:00 PM
I agree. Also, the use of the phrase "cut off" makes me chuckle a bit. Outside of LHC, people cut hair and nails, but would cut off someone's head or other appendage.

Longhairpixie
May 13th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Cut off a car?

Heidi_234
May 14th, 2009, 12:57 AM
I agree. Also, the use of the phrase "cut off" makes me chuckle a bit. Outside of LHC, people cut hair and nails, but would cut off someone's head or other appendage.
I didn't knew that. Must be one of those language subtleties which I like so much. ;)

jera
May 14th, 2009, 02:23 AM

This is so very true. It must be a psychological thing. What would Freud say? :p

Natalia
May 14th, 2009, 02:47 AM
This is so very true. It must be a psychological thing. What would Freud say? :p

Well depends on how he felt about it after all "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar". My guess is if he had long hair he would find something to say about it but a shortie.....? Like i said cigars :p

enfys
May 14th, 2009, 04:15 AM
I think it's negative but only in a negative conrtext. I could say "I cut off 4 inches of dye damage" or "the hairdresser hacked off 4 inches when I asked for an inch".

I don't think it's really said much if it was our choice, more when it's inflicted.

Ella Menneau P.
May 14th, 2009, 04:59 AM
I don't think it's really said much if it was our choice, more when it's inflicted.

True, although I've threatened to hack mine off on hot humid summer days when I couldn't get any relief from the heat. But they were desperate words, and I somehow I managed to step away from the scissors!

florenonite
May 14th, 2009, 08:37 AM

May I present, The Arrogant Worms' Carrot Juice is Murder (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmK0bZl4ILM)

Also, I know the tomatoes I try to chop hate it considering the amount of grief they give me over it!

It is funny! Plus a 'trim' for me literally has to be measured in millimeters. In some salons a trim is measured in feet. :D

I was about to look that up, does that make me old? I'm not even two decades old yet!

Pixna
May 14th, 2009, 08:53 AM
I view a "trim" as a small cut -- maybe a couple of inches at most. I view a "major trim" as several inches at most. I view a "chop" as a BIG cut, quite a few inches to a foot or more. I view a "hack" as a really poorly done major trim or chop (aka, hack job).

I didn't get NTTAWWT at first either, but once it was clarified, it was an Aha! moment! :redgrin:

enfys
May 14th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Is it too late to join the WTF is NTTAWWT crew? Coz IDK what it meant either LOL.

I need to text people more...

MsBubbles
May 14th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Also, I know the tomatoes I try to chop hate it considering the amount of grief they give me over it!

I was about to look that up, does that make me old?

I'm not even two decades old yet!

Ok now I do feel old :D

I think Roald Dahl wrote a story about someone who could hear blades of grass screaming while being mown.

misstwist
May 14th, 2009, 10:06 PM
I don't like those words. I think they are violent and negative and unnecessarily attractive to the type of people we try not to attract here. I prefer less emotive words. Trim or cut are just fine, though cut can also be a trigger word for the wrong type.

ETA--I also don't like blowfry and it's variations.

That's just me, though.

enfys
May 15th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Ok now I do feel old :D

I think Roald Dahl wrote a story about someone who could hear blades of grass screaming while being mown.

The BFG! The Big Friendly Giant could hear everything with his big ears. :cheese:

BlndeInDisguise
May 15th, 2009, 03:19 PM
I still don't know what NWAAATT something is...:confused:

NWAAATT means "Not that there's anything wrong with that" :)

I didn't know what it meant, either. I may be young, but when it comes to Internet acronyms...I'm lost. ;)

Nevermore
May 15th, 2009, 04:51 PM
I don't like those words. I think they are violent and negative and unnecessarily attractive to the type of people we try not to attract here. I prefer less emotive words. Trim or cut are just fine, though cut can also be a trigger word for the wrong type.

Anything can attract people any given community doesn't want. A fashion forum probably wouldn't want a foot f*tis*ist on their forum, but someone like that might be attracted to the pictures of fashionable high heels. Should they stop posting those pictures? Likewise, the pictures in people's albums and avatars here might be attractive to certain kinds of people, should we not have avatars or albums?

Ella Menneau P.
May 15th, 2009, 06:41 PM
I offer my apologies--I just noticed that using abbreviations like I did is frowned on here. As for the nature of the terminology we use, I was just observing more than anything, no judgement on my part.

enfys
May 16th, 2009, 04:48 PM
I offer my apologies--I just noticed that using abbreviations like I did is frowned on here. As for the nature of the terminology we use, I was just observing more than anything, no judgement on my part.

It's ok, at least we learnt something! :cheese:

jojo
May 16th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Lobbed off is a phrase we use round here, I prefer trim as it sounds less drastric!

MemSahib
May 16th, 2009, 06:47 PM
I think maybe we're just using dramatic language — nothing more deeply meaningful than that. It sounds so dramatic to say, "I got my hair hacked off!" instead of, "The hairdresser cut more than I wanted and unfortunately she did a very poor job of it." — See? It just lost a lot of force and power. Quick, sharp words come across as strong.