PDA

View Full Version : Question about ACV rinse

Rosemary
April 6th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Hi, I searched other threads, but I couldn't find an answer to my question, so if it's already been answered a zillion times, my apologies.:)

I want to try an ACV rinse. My question is, how much do I use? And how much water do I mix it with? (my hair is tailbone length right now) Should I only use ACV, or are other vinegars OK? And should I rinse it out afterwards? Right now I'm doing CWC, and it's working out rather well. I'm down to washing my hair every five days or so, and my hair seems to take a long time to get greasy with this new cleansing method.

I'm hoping that the ACV will help to get rid of the few annoying flakes that my scalp has had lately. It's not much, but if I look very, very close, I can see flakes although there aren't many.

I wonder if stretching out my wash days are contributing to the flakes? My hair seems so much happier with the infrequent washings. I really don't want to go back to washing every other day, it was a pain and my hair takes forever to dry. It takes even longer now that I've gone cone free. My personal theory is that my hair absorbs more water now that the cones have been eliminated from my "hair diet".

So could somebody point me in the right direction? Thank you in advance.:)

BrianaFineHair
April 6th, 2008, 09:21 PM
I don't know about your other questions, but I can tell you how I do my vinegar rinses. I put about 2 ounces of vinegar to 16 ounces of water in a squirt bottle. I leave it in my hair for a few minutes and then I lightly rinse with cooler water. That's it. :) You can play with the amount of vinegar to water ratio more to your liking though. I prefer white vingar over ACV.

Is that you in your sig? If so, you are quite stunning! :)

Ash
April 6th, 2008, 09:35 PM
I put between 2 T and 1/4 cup of ACV in 2 cups of water and take the measuring cup and another bowl to the shower. I pour it over my hair and catch it as it drips out in the bowl so I can rinse several times and scrub my scalp with it too. After this, I rinse with water and apply conditioner as usual. Something I have done for my fiance when he had flakes was to simmer some rosemary and thyme in some ACV and pour it on his scalp and scrub with my fingers, leaving it on for a couple of minutes and then rinsing. I would not recommend using straight vinegar though if you only have a few flakes. Maybe if you used a 1:4 ratio of vinegar to water and added a couple drops of rosemary and tea tree oil and scrubbed your scalp with that, it will help. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. :)

Riot Crrl
April 6th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Yeah I only use a tablespoon or two in one pint water.

I also CO with a scalp brush. It's really not tangly or breaky as long as I fully lift it out before moving to another section, and only do small motions in a section. As soon as I realized I couldn't brush my hair any more, my scalp was suffering until I found this.

Rosemary
April 9th, 2008, 01:53 PM
I don't know about your other questions, but I can tell you how I do my vinegar rinses. I put about 2 ounces of vinegar to 16 ounces of water in a squirt bottle. I leave it in my hair for a few minutes and then I lightly rinse with cooler water. That's it. :) You can play with the amount of vinegar to water ratio more to your liking though. I prefer white vingar over ACV.

Is that you in your sig? If so, you are quite stunning! :)

Yes, that is me and I thank you for the compliment!:cloud9: From all of the reading that I've been doing, it seems like less is more with the ACV. I just want to make sure that I don't go overboard with how much viegar I add to the water. I guess I'll also have to experiment with both vinegars to see which one I like better.

I put between 2 T and 1/4 cup of ACV in 2 cups of water and take the measuring cup and another bowl to the shower. I pour it over my hair and catch it as it drips out in the bowl so I can rinse several times and scrub my scalp with it too. After this, I rinse with water and apply conditioner as usual. Something I have done for my fiance when he had flakes was to simmer some rosemary and thyme in some ACV and pour it on his scalp and scrub with my fingers, leaving it on for a couple of minutes and then rinsing. I would not recommend using straight vinegar though if you only have a few flakes. Maybe if you used a 1:4 ratio of vinegar to water and added a couple drops of rosemary and tea tree oil and scrubbed your scalp with that, it will help. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. :)

Oooh catching it and reusing it is a good idea. I will waste alot less that way. Thanks for the idea about the rosemary and thyme. I think I might try that as well.

Yeah I only use a tablespoon or two in one pint water.

I also CO with a scalp brush. It's really not tangly or breaky as long as I fully lift it out before moving to another section, and only do small motions in a section. As soon as I realized I couldn't brush my hair any more, my scalp was suffering until I found this.

I keep meaning to get a scalp brush for in the shower. I need to order a new BBB, so I guess I'll get one of those too.

Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it!:)

~Rosemary

happylynngilmer
April 9th, 2008, 02:05 PM
I use 1-2 tablespoons ACV (I eyeball it, so it's somewhere in there) in 4oz cold water.

FrannyG
April 9th, 2008, 02:16 PM
You're going to get so many different answers that your head will spin. :) I use 1/2 of a tablespoon per cup of water and use it as a final rinse. I don't rinse out the ACV mixture. Yes, there's a vinegar odour at first, but it dissipates very quickly as it dries.

I really prefer apple cider vinegar, but there are plenty of women (especially silver-haired women) who use white vinegar and are very happy with it.

Shell
April 9th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Yep, a million answers. I use 2T to 1/4 cup of ACV (organic) in about 1.5 cup to 2 cups of cold water (I'm pretty casual about it). I use it just on my scalp now, and I rinse with cold water. I think it controls itching and keeps my scalp cleaner and healthier.