PDA

View Full Version : What brand is your coconut oil?

Curlsgirl
April 6th, 2008, 07:27 PM
I didn't know there was a difference between unrefined organic 100% coconut oil! I had been buying Spectrum brand and the other day I went to get some and the clerk said she really liked this other brand (Garden of Life) because it was smoother and didn't have hard bits that you had to melt in your hands. I was hesitant but took her word for it and WOW! It is SO much softer and smells better than the other kind without ANY bits of hard stuff that you have to rub together to melt! I don't know if it will melt when it gets warmer or not but right now is feels like silk and is SO soft! Almost the same price too and in a glass jar instead of plastic which I really like too. I hope I like it as well on my hair.

squiggyflop
April 6th, 2008, 07:42 PM
i use whatever is cheap.. i dont have a job so i have to be careful how i use my money.. i use it mainly on my legs because my hair doesnt like coconut.

MermaidGirl
April 6th, 2008, 07:46 PM
I've got Garden of Life, too, but I haven't used it yet!

Frankly, I'm not sure what to do with it (other than the obvious - put it on my hair - but the question is how? When its wet from a shampoo? Dry, then shampoo?). Also, I'm not sure what it will do to my fine, thin hair - if it will weigh it down so badly that I end up looking like all I have is 1 strand of hair down my back!

Other than that, yes, the GoL stuff smells wonderful and I do like that its packaged in glass! ;)

yogachic
April 6th, 2008, 07:48 PM
I had NOW, but Its gone now, and I plan on buying the tub that walmart has in their vitamin section. Where did you get the Garden of Life Oil?

Curlsgirl
April 6th, 2008, 07:49 PM
I've got Garden of Life, too, but I haven't used it yet!

Frankly, I'm not sure what to do with it (other than the obvious - put it on my hair - but the question is how? When its wet from a shampoo? Dry, then shampoo?). Also, I'm not sure what it will do to my fine, thin hair - if it will weigh it down so badly that I end up looking like all I have is 1 strand of hair down my back!

Other than that, yes, the GoL stuff smells wonderful and I do like that its packaged in glass! ;)Yes it does!!! Is it a new brand I wonder? Anyway, if I were you I would start with just a tiny bit (a couple of fingernails scrapes?) on damp or wet hair. You could always increase it. I also use it some on dry hair but it works much better on damp and I think most people here agree. It helps seal the moisture in. I hope you like it!

Curlsgirl
April 6th, 2008, 07:51 PM
I had NOW, but Its gone now, and I plan on buying the tub that walmart has in their vitamin section. Where did you get the Garden of Life Oil?

I got mine at Earth Fare, not sure if it's a chain or not but it is a natural food supermarket. I LOVE that place!

hrimfaxi
April 6th, 2008, 07:53 PM
I use Spectrum--the food coconut oil, not the body coconut oil (they sell both kinds; I imagine there isn't much of a difference, but I don't know--the former is in a glass jar and the latter in a plastic tub). It works alright for me, but I don't usually use very much of it at a time that chunks would matter. :shrug:

yogachic
April 6th, 2008, 07:54 PM
I got mine at Earth Fare, not sure if it's a chain or not but it is a natural food supermarket. I LOVE that place!

Ok, thanks. I dont think we have one here, where I live. I'll have to stick with walmart or the health food store, back to eden.

Cinnamon Hair
April 6th, 2008, 08:06 PM
I use Monoi for the fragrances, and the cute bottle, and the dried flower inside. It smells sooo good. They have unscented as well, but if you're looking for plain coconut oil it's certainly not the most available. Vitanet.net (http://vitanetonline.com/search.cfm) and search for "monoi"

sahiba
April 6th, 2008, 08:41 PM
I use what I get from the coconut trees of my house so its not really branded or smells really cool. Just quite great on my hair.

Sillage
April 6th, 2008, 08:50 PM
I have extra virgin coconut oil from The Herbarie. It makes my hair look wonderful and it smells AMAZING but like all coconut oil, it breaks me out. :(

BrianaFineHair
April 6th, 2008, 08:53 PM
I just purchased Garden of Life. I'm looking forwarding to trying it, and I will most certainly start off with just a couple of finger nail scrappings as curlsgirl suggested.

You can order Garden of Life from vitacost.com

spidermom
April 6th, 2008, 08:54 PM
I got mine at a shop called Green Door in San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize. It was home-made and bottled in recycled rum bottles. I ran out last week, and DH doesn't quite buy into the idea that I've got to fly back down there and get some more. What's up with that? Of course I do!

jesamyn
April 6th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Mine is...whatever From Nature With Love sells. It's cheap and in a big tub. My hair doesn't care for it, aside from very infrequent uses, but I love the stuff for other parts of my person.

Ash
April 6th, 2008, 09:40 PM
I use Nutiva. I like the way it smells and it is unrefined and chemical free. They sell it at my local natural food store.

Xanthippe
April 6th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Mine is Nature's Way. I didn't really research it, I just went to the health food store and picked the biggest, cheapest jar that said it was unrefined and pure. :shrug: It melts without any hard bits.

Sakura07
April 6th, 2008, 09:59 PM
I use Spectrum as well. It's actually the only one I've tried.

sapphire-o
April 6th, 2008, 10:00 PM
I have Parachute from Indian store and Nutiva (extra virgin organic) from HFS. I like both of them. They both have light coconuty smell. I was oogling Garden of Life coconut oil but it was like $22 for a 1 lb jar. That's a bit too much. Parachute is only $5 for the same amount.

Raederle
April 6th, 2008, 11:02 PM
I have Spectrum now, but plan to go back to Tropical Traditions when this pint is gone.

Angellen
April 6th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Another Spectrum Organics user here. I've got the huge jar for hair and body. My hair really seems to soak it up with glee--but that jar's so big I have no idea how I'm going to use it all!

Riot Crrl
April 6th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Mine is a brand called "Jarrow Formulas." I bought it from Whole Foods, in the supplement aisle where there is a small refrigerated part for the supplements that should be refrigerated. I think that flax oil and possibly liquid acidopholus and stuff like that are also in there.

This stuff says to refrigerate it. It is Rock. Freaking. Hard. Harder than the coldest butter. I don't use it as often as I would otherwise, because I am too lazy to chisel some out.

eadwine
April 7th, 2008, 12:53 PM
I use KTC, works just dandy in my hair :)

Aisha25
April 7th, 2008, 07:52 PM
I use Parachute;).

Nat242
April 8th, 2008, 04:30 AM
I use Parachute too...it smells strongly of coconuts and my hair loves it!

-- Natalie

Martina
April 9th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I use Emerald Laboratories from GNC. It's not real smooth, but works fine.

Kirin
April 9th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Walmart vitimin isle coconut oil. there is no brand name, just 100 percent pure extra virgin coconut oil. It says refridge after opening and yes, its hard as a rock. Smells fantastic though and when it melts its smoooooooooth.

Rain
April 9th, 2008, 02:30 PM
I like the edible Spectrum in the glass jar. It is nice and smooth with no chunks and it smells great. Spectrum in the plastic jar and Emerald Laboratories (don't know if it's a GNC brand but that is where I got it) both have the little hard balls that I don't like. Monoi doesn't work nearly as well for me. I have issues with the strong scents but aside from that, I will get gunked-up, tangly ends from monoi. I don't with virgin coconut oil (chunky or otherwise).

Growin' It
April 10th, 2008, 01:03 AM
I use Parachute, too.

Patrycja
April 10th, 2008, 08:46 AM
I swear by Spectrum Organic.Huge jar for about 5 bucks.

n3m3sis42
April 13th, 2008, 11:44 AM
The kind I have right now is Barlean's brand. I got it at my local health food store. It smells good and its texture is quite nice. I have used their flaxseed oil and liked it in the past.

I have to admit I'm curious about the kind someone mentioned here with the dried flower, though.

*goes to look it up*

Lillian
April 13th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Mine is from Akamuti, and my hair loves it. It did not like Superdrug's own brand coconut oil.

Wavelength
April 13th, 2008, 12:16 PM
I got mine at a shop called Green Door in San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize. It was home-made and bottled in recycled rum bottles. I ran out last week, and DH doesn't quite buy into the idea that I've got to fly back down there and get some more. What's up with that? Of course I do!

Well, that's just obvious! Of course you do! Tell him you have LHC's full support! :thumbsup:

(You can take me along if you're wondering how you could possibly thank me enough...) :wink:

Chara
August 29th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Gals I also ordered Parachute, I want something to apply on hair ends when they are wet. Do you think parachute can be used this way?:wethree:

angelthadiva
August 29th, 2008, 12:48 PM
I use what I get from the coconut trees of my house so its not really branded or smells really cool. Just quite great on my hair.

I am so jealous! :( I use Spectrum too. I tried both the organic and unrefined...I like both, but I am still looking for that lush, coconut/Hawaiian Tropics smell.

Tap Dancer
August 29th, 2008, 01:15 PM
I plan on buying the tub that walmart has in their vitamin section.

That's what I have.

Indigo Girl
August 30th, 2008, 11:14 AM
I like the edible Spectrum in the glass jar. It is nice and smooth with no chunks and it smells great.

This is the one that I use too.

Usually I just apply it right out of the jar, but I've been thinking of slightly heating it to give it a bit more slip when applying. Does anyone else heat theirs before application?

itsMEowKat
August 31st, 2008, 01:08 AM
I'm in the UK and I use Essence of Eden, which I bought online HERE (http://www.essenceofeden.co.uk/index.html). It's pricier than others I've seen around but the quality really stands up.

~Kat
=^..^=

marshwoman
August 31st, 2008, 07:56 AM
I just received unrefined CO from Mountain Rose herbs. I have been using the Spectrum before that, and liked it on my hair and in my cooking, but I couldn't find it unrefined. I wanted that coconut tropical smell, yum!

I have a big bucket of Mountain Rose CO and it smells and feels divine. It is also very liquid and hasn't solidified (my Spectrum jars are kind of half and half solid.)

Question: Should I refrigerate it? What kind of shelf life does the unrefined have?

carols_e
August 31st, 2008, 02:50 PM
I use Monoi de Tahiti oil from The Ladida Spa and Nutiva.. I also have some Specturm but I cook with that.

Silver & Gold
August 31st, 2008, 03:00 PM
I've tried several brands but Nutiva is my current favorite.

Jamie Lynn 40
September 7th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Hi-
I was just wondering if there is a special name brand of coconut oil that everyone prefers? I have parachute oil, but do you all prefer something else that works better? Thanks.
JamieLynn 40

Gumball
September 7th, 2008, 04:12 PM
I'm not sure what else there is, but the brand I use is Jungle Products Beyond Organic Coconut Oil that I bought from a nearby Whole Foods store. It's worked just fine for me whenever I felt I needed to use some oil.

lookingglass
September 7th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Spectrum Organic

easternsunrise
September 8th, 2008, 12:22 AM
I have only used Nutiva:).....It came in a very large container.

curly girl fla
September 8th, 2008, 05:12 AM
I have only used Nutiva:).....It came in a very large container.
I have a large jar of Nutiva as well. I love how it smells and works...I also have Tree of Life brand, but it's refined, no fragrance...I prefer unrefined for my hair...

Aisha25
September 8th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Is the refined one have no smell???

Aries_jb
September 8th, 2008, 06:53 PM
I'm using NOW at the moment, but I didn't really know there were differences in coconut oils. Mine doesn't smell and it's chunky :confused::(. I would have used coconut a lot more than I have been if I had known I could get better quality...and something that smells like coconuts.

SweetPea88
September 8th, 2008, 07:27 PM
I use spectrum organics unrefined coconut oil, purchased from a local healthfood store. I have the one in the plastic tub, it seems to be a lot easier to get out than the taller jar one in the food isle.

Arctic_Mama
September 9th, 2008, 04:42 AM
I had Spectrum brand for cooking, my next batch of oil will be from Mountain Rose Herbs, they rock :)

heidi w.
September 9th, 2008, 08:22 AM
I use the brand by SPECTRUM NATURALS that is specifically made for use on hair and skin. I do not use SPECTRUM NATURALS Coconut Oil that is blended for use as an oil for cooking. This latter version is found, usually, in the salad dressing section. The version I purchase is found in the beauty section (such as at a Whole Foods store).

http://www.spectrumorganics.com/?id=205
Note that this is UNREFINED
5 oz generally for somewhere between $5-$6 US (lasts FOREVER!)
very smooth
just warm in the palms of your hands with a lot of friction
glides on smoothly and no balls of CO

heidi w.

FrannyG
September 9th, 2008, 08:49 AM
I use Spectrum Organics Refined. I know a lot of people don't recommend the use of refined coconut oil, but I really don't like the lingering odor of unrefined coconut oil in my hair.

I'm really happy with it. :)

getoffmyskittle
September 9th, 2008, 09:14 AM
I used to use Parachute, but now I use Swad because it has hardly any smell. :D

Yes, I use slutty coconut oil. :whistle:

Aisha25
September 9th, 2008, 09:17 AM
I used to use Parachute, but now I use Swad because it has hardly any smell. :D

Yes, I use slutty coconut oil. :whistle:
Skittles you changed coconut oil:no: you slut you!:D

getoffmyskittle
September 9th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Skittles you changed coconut oil:no: you slut you!:D

Yes, that's right! I'm a cocoslut. :wannabe:

DarkChocolate
September 9th, 2008, 02:10 PM
My coconut oil is from Mountain Rose herbs and is organic,unrefined coconut oil:)
It has a nice coconut smell:)

ladystar
September 9th, 2008, 02:43 PM
I have Parachute from Indian store, I love it!

thankyousir74
September 9th, 2008, 02:48 PM
:runs upstairs to check: Yep Spectrum! I know what you mean about the hard bits, but when it comes down to making deodorant with it I kinda prefer the hard bits, and I don't mind it for my hair.

littlemiss
September 9th, 2008, 11:42 PM
I use Monoi for the fragrances, and the cute bottle, and the dried flower inside. It smells sooo good. They have unscented as well, but if you're looking for plain coconut oil it's certainly not the most available. Vitanet.net (http://vitanetonline.com/search.cfm) and search for "monoi"

I use this as well the vanilla and coconut is a smell to die for!!!:)
Very nice!!

chrissy-b
September 10th, 2008, 11:46 AM
I use Spectrum Organics unrefined coconut oil. But I've been dying to try Monoi's vanilla coconut because as littlemiss pointed out, the smell is to die for! I've just got to wait until my other tub is empty.