PDA

View Full Version : Amish Hair Pin Help

angelthadiva
April 6th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Hi, I'm really interested in getting some of these...I think I'm just wasting money buying the store kind...After a few uses they are bent out of shape...

I have almost classic length hair that is pretty thick, I'm not sure which length to get...2", 2.5" or 3"...I was thinking of going on the safe side and order the 2.5", if I don't like them, I could always swap.

Who uses Amish Hair pins, what size do you use and what do you recommend I try? :D

Thanks,
Angel

tsf
April 6th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Well, they get you on the shipping but the pins are not expensive. Get both.

I bought the 2" and the 3" and I use the 3" the most. My only issue with them is that they are light in color and my hair is dark so they are hard to hide.

They're nice and strong though!

angelthadiva
April 6th, 2008, 07:17 PM
I didn't think about the color, thanks for mentioning that!

Carolyn
April 6th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Get a package of each length and see what works best for you. I use the longest to secure buns and the shortest ones to keep that last little bit of hair from popping out of a bun.

Cinnamon Hair
April 6th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Just to show I'm ignorant when it comes to Amish pins I have to ask this..

Aren't the pins you use to hold artificial flowers in styrofoam almost exactly the same (and much easier to find)?

AmandaPanda
April 6th, 2008, 08:51 PM
I have 2.5" ones and couldn't get them to work. I think I would need 3"

Katze
April 7th, 2008, 04:31 AM
I had the ones from BaByLiss and also tried ones from Goody and they didn't work in my hair. Unlike bobby pins I had to use at least twice the amount of pins, and no amount of twisting, turning, wrapping, tangling, kept them in my hair - I ended up leaving a trail of pins behind me.

So I plan on sticking with the long bobby pins.

Kyamo
April 7th, 2008, 05:02 AM
I use these pins I found in a dollar store, they work great. They are 6cm long, which is about 2 and 3/8 inches. But I have a lot less hair than you do.
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n92/KyamoTinuviel/Picture003.jpg

Nini
April 7th, 2008, 06:30 AM
I have both sizes. And the quality is outstanding!

I had issues with the cheap ones, and decided to splurge for the real deal. And I don't regret it at all.

The shorter ones are good for securing my braids in a Braided Beehive, while the big ones would be good for larger buns. It all depends on your updo!

I've got fine hair that has hit my thighs now:) And finding something that stays in can sometimes be hard...

Nini

angelthadiva
April 7th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.