PDA

View Full Version : I have a strange question....

creativehoney
May 13th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Before I found the lhc I was searching a lot online looking for help for my hair....
Well my searches were mostly for co-wash and so I would get message boards as search results, of products people use along with co washing, products that doesn't cause build up. Well, a lot of women are using ky jelly in there hair.....something about the glycerin in it being moisturizing and helping hold curls.
So has anyone tried this??

I feel kinda strange asking this but really wanna no if it works.
I'm not sure if I'm gonna try it any time soon because I'm loving the cocont oil right now....but just wanted to see what's up with that.

SolSara
May 13th, 2009, 12:59 AM
I do! :D Well, I use the swedish equivalent. It's mostly glycerin and water, nothing strange about that. :) But I do get some funny looks when I happen to tell people I use it for the hair. :)

I mix it with a heavy conditioner if I want it to be more moisturizing and less heavy (on the oils.) I use it instead of aloe vera gel in SMTs. I use it to flatten out the frizz (like you would use silicon drops.) It's great as shaving gel (but I now use a cheap condish instead, well, it's even cheaper..) I mix one drop of the jelly with two drops of oil and use as face moisturizer (you need to massage it in well, or it might feel like a coat/film/not sure which word is appropriate.) And it's the only thing that works as a primer for my mineral eye-make up. :)

I've also heard that you can put it on the edges of you camera lens, if you want the edges of the photo to be smudged. :) Never tried that one though... :)

Roseate
May 13th, 2009, 01:02 AM
I have used it, and liked it!

Glycerin is a humectant (draws moisture from the air into your hair), so it is good for more humid climates but can actually dry your hair if the air is too dry. It helped me with frizz and makes my waves neater, but it does not have any hold. You can always just buy straight glycerin from the health-food store if you don't want to put lube in your hair.

Coconut oil is way more moisturizing, KY is more like a smoothing serum.

Monistat, KY... next we'll be putting tampons in our hair!

jera
May 13th, 2009, 01:17 AM
Never feel embarassed to ask a question at a forum where women massage Monistat into their scalps to increase hair growth. :D

SolSara
May 13th, 2009, 01:26 AM
Glycerin is a humectant (draws moisture from the air into your hair), so it is good for more humid climates but can actually dry your hair if the air is too dry. It helped me with frizz and makes my waves neater, but it does not have any hold. You can always just buy straight glycerin from the health-food store if you don't want to put lube in your hair.

I've read (in a good swedish source, Shenet (http://www.shenet.se/ravaror/glycerin.html)) that as long as the glycerin is like 5% or so, you don't have to worry about it being drying. So straight glycerin needs to be diluted, lubricants and other products for skin usually have to right proportions. :)

Helen Baq
May 13th, 2009, 01:54 AM

They're probably great for making curls! :p

Pixna
May 13th, 2009, 06:56 AM
I have nothing to add . . . except I am finding this discussion hilarious!! :redgrin:

Lamb
May 13th, 2009, 06:59 AM
I have nothing to add . . . except I am finding this discussion hilarious!! :redgrin:

Me too... and oddly inspiring... :run:
I'd never have thought that I'd be looking for haircare products in the "family planning" aisle.

jivete
May 13th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Hmmm, never thought of using KY. I do need something for frizz. Do you use a few drops like you would a silicone serum? On wet hair?

Forever_Sophie
May 13th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Never feel embarassed to ask a question at a forum where women massage Monistat into their scalps to increase hair growth. :D

Exactly what I was thinking! LOL I think I'd rather take the chance on the KY.

irreverent
May 13th, 2009, 08:16 AM
honestly, my first thought was :crazyq: putting LUBE in your hair? So I asked my favourite hair guru, and she said "Revvie, sweets, what did you THINK was in the deep conditioning treatment I made you?"

:o heh...(but I WILL try to get the recipe for the deep conditioner...)

creativehoney
May 13th, 2009, 08:27 AM
SolSara
I mix it with a heavy conditioner if I want it to be more moisturizing and less heavy (on the oils.) I use it instead of aloe vera gel in SMTs

What are smts? Thanks for all the uses. That's pretty cool! I might try some of those!
Well the reason I said "strange question" is because I've seen some pretty young ages around here.
I was hesitant to post the question because they might go asking ther parents if they can have some, and freak their parents out!
Lol. Hope that doesn't happen.

creativehoney
May 13th, 2009, 08:35 AM
I posted before I read all of your responses! And I have to say...I was rofl!

Yall had me crackin up!!!

SolSara
May 13th, 2009, 09:46 AM
What are smts? Thanks for all the uses. That's pretty cool! I might try some of those!
Well the reason I said "strange question" is because I've seen some pretty young ages around here.
I was hesitant to post the question because they might go asking ther parents if they can have some, and freak their parents out!
Lol. Hope that doesn't happen.

SMT is short for Snowy's Deep Moisture Treatment (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=14635). :)

Lubes are used for a lot of things, being upset kids knows about it is overreacting IMHO.

Any underage reading this: please refer your freaked out parent to this page. :) I'll take the blame. :)

It might be because I store half my pantry in the bathroom these days, but I just can't see how a bit of glycerin and water should make anyone upset.. Ah, well, the tube might give some.. associations.. to people, so if my kids were to use it, I would put it in a neutral tube, preferably something hair-related. :)

SolSara
May 13th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Hmmm, never thought of using KY. I do need something for frizz. Do you use a few drops like you would a silicone serum? On wet hair?

I use a few drops when on dry hair, but more when on wet hair, or it doesn't work as well for me. I usually do it on dry hair though, that way I can see where the flyaways are that day. :) It can become a bit sticky using to much, but I think you can use much more of it compared to silicone serum. Like always, it might be different on different heads of hair, so I would suggest experimenting, starting with a few drops and using more every time until you find the best results. :)

SolSara
May 13th, 2009, 10:00 AM
And as for the scary thought of putting lube in your hair. The silicone serums are mostly just the same thing as silicone based lubes. But, since people already use the serums, they wouldn't be freaked out by that information, or they would have to stop use their silicone serum. Which most would not think of as an option.

We want our behaviors and attitudes to be in sync. This leads to quite some attitude changing to preserve the preferred behavior, when new information comes a long. :)

Yes, I do study psychology. :)

This was a big step of the topic, I just find that interesting. How people react on putting lube in their hair, when many people already do it (of a sort, anyway..)

Roseate
May 13th, 2009, 10:01 AM
I've read (in a good swedish source, Shenet) that as long as the glycerin is like 5% or so, you don't have to worry about it being drying. So straight glycerin needs to be diluted, lubricants and other products for skin usually have to right proportions.

I'm glad to hear that! I mean, it makes sense. The manufacurers of KY wouldn't want to sell a lube that dries out the parts it's supposed to lubricate if the humidity is too low!

I've never worried about drying from humectants personally; I live near the coast and there is always some water in the air. But I've heard that warning so much on the web- some people over at naturallycurly.com keep track of the dew point on the weather report so they know if they should put humectants in their hair or not!

melrose1985
May 13th, 2009, 10:08 AM
I've also heard that you can put it on the edges of you camera lens, if you want the edges of the photo to be smudged. :) Never tried that one though... :)

WOW! thanks, that is such a cool idea!

creativehoney
May 13th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Ah, well, the tube might give some.. associations.. to people, so if my kids were to use it, I would put it in a neutral tube, preferably something hair-related. :)

That's. Good idea. My kids are really small right now so they wouldn't know the difference but ill keep that in mind for when they get bigger.
I want to try it.
I saw a picture of a ladies curls, when I was researching, after she put it in and let it dry and it was gorgeous!
She said she used like 2 golf ball sized dollops.
She had really curly hair though..

Anje
May 13th, 2009, 11:09 AM

That reminded me of this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=23726), which links to these homemade curlers (http://lifewithmonkey.wordpress.com/2007/09/03/hair-curler-sewing-tutorial/). They definitely look like tampons!
So do the ones linked from this thread (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=72245&page=2).

Roseate
May 13th, 2009, 11:19 AM
That reminded me of this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=23726), which links to these homemade curlers (http://lifewithmonkey.wordpress.com/2007/09/03/hair-curler-sewing-tutorial/). They definitely look like tampons!
So do the ones linked from this thread (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=72245&page=2).

:rollin: I know people say long hair is more "feminine", but I didn't know it went quite that far.... :rollin:

Norai
May 13th, 2009, 11:50 AM
I can imagine the look's you'd get going to the checkout counter with 10 tubes of KY, LOL.

Glycerin is extremely cheap to buy also. I have a bottle at home already, might just try adding it to conditioner at 5% by weight and see if it helps. :)

jivete
May 13th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Is it the jelly or the liquid? I'm reading jelly here, but there was this liquid stuff at Target...

rose_in_bloom
May 13th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Me too... and oddly inspiring... :run:
I'd never have thought that I'd be looking for haircare products in the "family planning" aisle.

:rollin: This discussion is awesomely hilarious.

creativehoney
May 13th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Is it the jelly or the liquid? I'm reading jelly here, but there was this liquid stuff at Target...

I think its the jelly kind, but I bet the liquid one might work better. Hmmm.....
oh and I read that store brands are just as good and cheaper too.

Norai
Where do you buy glycerin? Like wmart? Kroger? Health food store?

teela1978
May 13th, 2009, 03:07 PM
I vaguely recall a discussion on a curly hair forum where several people swore KY was just as good as a rather expensive curl-product. A lot of people were using it there, I've never really tried though. My hair kinda quit being curly before I ever got to that point.

Roseate
May 13th, 2009, 03:15 PM

I've used both; the jelly is easier to scrunch into wet hair, the liquid is nice for taming frizzies on dry hair. I use the liquid in a mister with a little jojoba oil and rosewater too, good for refreshing waves.

manderly
May 13th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Hmmm, I've got a bottle of the liquid KY in my nightstand.....looks like I'll be trying this out :D

creativehoney
May 13th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Ok, so I got some generic jelly. I just tried it this evening. I mixed a little with my leave in. Put it in my damp hair, and when my hair dried added a little coconut oil on top of it.
I stayed away from my roots though. I took a picture its in my album if yall wanna look at it.
My hair is usually curly when wet, wavy when dry, and after I sleep on it, its pretty much straight.

I think it did ok.
But maybe I should have used a little more if I wanted my curls to stay really curly.

ChloeDharma
May 14th, 2009, 12:13 AM
When i was a kid my sister used some KY on my hair, she said they kept it at the salon she worked in as a secret styling product, just didn't let the clients know what it was.
I've thought of trying it as a hair serum but assumed it would be very coney, i might give it a go though......my hair loves glycerin.....living in England i tend not to have to worry about a dry atmosphere!

enfys
May 14th, 2009, 04:28 AM
Am I easy to confuse?

What is glycerin? What's it made from? There's not any cones and it would just wash out? I doubt google would tell me the answers to this if I looked up ky jelly haha.

Are Ann Summers etc about to start making more money?

creativehoney
May 14th, 2009, 05:47 AM
[QUOTE=ChloeDharma.
I've thought of trying it as a hair serum but assumed it would be very coney/QUOTE]

And enfy, I had to come edit my post because I wanted to tell you if you google any ingredient in a product it will bring up the wikepedia and. Other sites explaing them.

I think I googled glycerin and it said it was water soluble. Ill have to check it out again. I can't remember I've been reading so much on here, my wires may be getting crossed. :p Haha

SolSara
May 14th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Am I easy to confuse?

What is glycerin? What's it made from? There's not any cones and it would just wash out? I doubt google would tell me the answers to this if I looked up ky jelly haha.

Are Ann Summers etc about to start making more money?

Google glycerin and you will have millions of hits, I guess some of them must be informative. :) It's water soluble, so it washes right out. :) It's its own chemical compound, so no cones. It might be combined with cones though, some lubes have both for example, so check the whole ingredients list.

My favourite conditioners all have glycerin, so I know my hair really likes it. :)

Kirin
May 14th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Glycerin in its simplest terms is "vegetable sugars", and is usually a by-product of soap making. Its completely safe to use.

I usually have some form of K-Y in the house, hey, I'm married, and my kids have seen the ...... forgotten to put away tube occasionally, they aren't shocked by it.

KY and generics of it have no silicones, so no worry about that. They are designed for use with condoms and diaphragms, so they don't contain anything harmful that would destroy rubber or latex.

I've never thought about using it on my hair, but hey, why not try this, its not like I don't have it!

Incidentally a lot of dollar stores carry large tubes of this in a generic form.