PDA

View Full Version : Henna Saturation?

morningstar
April 6th, 2008, 07:04 PM
I took a length shot today in the sun and expected some reds in the light but what I saw shocked me a little. I mean, I know my hair is dark now and I have been taking pictures of it indoors all winter. I am a bit concerned about my hair color now and guess I should stop doing full head applications. Will the henna back off in darkness if I only do the roots now? The first picture is my hair now and the next picture is of my hair when I first started to henna.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u29/mfmorningstar/100_1584.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u29/mfmorningstar/100_0243.jpg

squiggyflop
April 6th, 2008, 07:13 PM
i think it may be because you took the picture with the light not directly on the hair... how many full head applications have you done?? ive done quite a few before i finally started doing only the roots... perhaps you could leave the henna on for less time?? i only need it on my head for an hour... but my base color (natural color) is auburn so it doesnt take much to kick it up to red

morningstar
April 6th, 2008, 07:17 PM
I have done probably 12 - 14 full head applications since last April. I thought I was standing in the direct sun, my arms are getting the sun in this shot. My base color was dark brown but damaged from chemical colors so a brassy color when I started to use henna. I guess I never really thought it would get this dark. I over shot my color by a few notches. I am not going to let it get to me I guess... thanks Squiggyflop for the support.

terriej
April 6th, 2008, 07:46 PM
If you just do your roots now, I think your roots are going to come out lighter. Your hair is really dark, it looks black in the picture. I don't think that part of your hair is going to fade at all.

morningstar
April 6th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Hi terriej my roots are dark though with of course silvers coming in. My hair normally looks burgandy in the sun so I was shocked to see it so dark. My BF took the picture and he was in the middle of doing something so this is all I could get out of him. :rolleyes:
All of my waves are gone now due to both my layers growing out and the henna. I am not too bummed out I guess cause this is the color my hair was when I was a child. I guess I thought it would be brighter on the damaged mantle and ends.

khyricat
April 7th, 2008, 12:56 PM
your hair looks more like mine, we'll have to compare how red it really is this weekend.. I do full head because it helps the whites (reds) blend more with my almost black darks..

I plan to do some form of obious painting leaving more and more exposed eventually so I can get the gradual line of demarcation from reddish to white when I start to let it go grey...

Amie

Nightshade
April 7th, 2008, 01:41 PM
I would recommend just doing your roots then :) It'll blend together pretty well as it grows out. If you look at my siggy pic, you can't see that there are three distinct colors in my hair but if you check out this one of my hair in the sun (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=237&pictureid=4832), it becomes REALLY obvious.

Don't do anything drastic, your hair looks great :flowers:

CopperHead
April 7th, 2008, 02:09 PM
I agree! I think your hair looks amazing! It is so shiney and thick and I LOVE the color. Henna is a tricky thing to photograph because of the different effects it gives off in all kinds of light. Mine would look black in pictures when it was actually a vivid burgundy/auburn and more of a medium color than dark.

Velouria
April 7th, 2008, 07:23 PM
I've had luck (in lessening henna saturation) w/ the 50/50 lemon juice/conditioner soaks.

cutenappygrl
April 8th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Maybe its just your flash - and the overcast in the couds that day.

Girltron
April 8th, 2008, 11:15 AM
I just wanna say that your hair may not be as dark as you think. There's a phenomenon I've noticed in very bright sun where instead of flaming, my henna does almost the opposite and looks very black and opaque. My hair is dark brown under the henna, and in some lights it DOES look black, even sometimes outside in the sun. Take lots more pictures before you get really upset! Besides, I've heard of people getting deep burgundy but not black from straight henna application.

Check this out: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lord_powell2112/1937672167/sizes/l/in/set-72157602993713452/

And compare it to my signature pic.

morningstar
April 8th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Yes Girltron I remember that beautiful picture of you from old LHC. I am not as troubled with it today as I was the other day. I was worried that I had too much henna on my hair and it would do something funky. I caught a glimpse of it in the mirror and light was filtering though it and it looked burgandy again. Thanks for the support.

Javadandy
April 9th, 2008, 04:55 PM
I just wanna say that your hair may not be as dark as you think. There's a phenomenon I've noticed in very bright sun where instead of flaming, my henna does almost the opposite and looks very black and opaque. My hair is dark brown under the henna, and in some lights it DOES look black, even sometimes outside in the sun. Take lots more pictures before you get really upset! Besides, I've heard of people getting deep burgundy but not black from straight henna application.

Check this out: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lord_powell2112/1937672167/sizes/l/in/set-72157602993713452/

And compare it to my signature pic.

Girltron - you raise a good point. I appreciate the photo showing the dark side of your hair. Your hair has personality. :D I believe I had a bit of saturation because I had highlights and grays that got really, really dark after my last hendigo, you couldn't really see any variation in color at all. Well after a honey coconut oil treatment, the variation is showing up again. I am planning to stay on the light side for a while until my grays start to be a problem and try to find a balance in my color routine.

Also I will always and I do mean always buy from a reputable source or I wouldn't be in this situation now. Sigh!