PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping "Styles"

bahannas
May 12th, 2009, 08:21 PM
My hair is about 3/4 down my shoulder blades, and has pretty uneven layers. I usually sleep with it dry or slightly damp. Now that it's gotten longer, though, I'm struggling with tough tangles in the morning! (definitely not fun before school) Are there any "styles" (braids, bun, etc.) that would reduce the morning knots just a teensy bit? It's difficult to braid because of the layers, and I'd like to stay away from most elastics/scrunchies because I've heard they cause damage over time.

Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

viking_quest
May 12th, 2009, 08:50 PM
I normally do a single French braid because it contains all of the shorter layers and my hair doesn't tangle as much.

chrissy-b
May 12th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Sometimes I bun my hair on the top of my head and hold it with a few small claw clips or a scruchie. I always wake up with soft waves and lots of lift near the roots when I do this. You could also try using a satin pillowcase. The few times I've slept with my hair loose, there are hardly any tangles when I wake up and my hair tangles just looking at it!

Cinnamon Hair
May 12th, 2009, 08:58 PM
I like to wear a sleep cap because it's quick and easy, although not super attractive. I get them in the ethnic section of drugstores like CVS or Walgreen's. Like this one:
http://www.shuruba.com/6cap-m150.jpg

Nevermore
May 12th, 2009, 09:02 PM
I vote for braiding, one or two or more. I have been braiding my hair nightly for probably two years now and it's caused no damage. I either use a short length of cotton cord or an ouchless hair tie. I do try to vary where I put the tie, but the damaging braiding prevents makes up for any tie damage you might get.

Blue Willow
May 12th, 2009, 09:35 PM
If you have short ends ..try rolling your hair and then braiding the last third and securing with a snag free hair tie. This takes about one minute to do once you get used to it. I often use this style as I have some short bang pieces..It works quite well.:)

Pierre
May 13th, 2009, 03:28 AM
I wear a Buff (and as I'm in bed, I'm wearing it now). I sometimes do two Dutch braids, which I leave in for a few days, and sometimes make a bun on top.

There are more threads about sleeping. Try searching.

kdaniels8811
May 13th, 2009, 03:31 AM
I bun my hair with a pair of very short (3") mei fa sticks that are only used for when I am sleeping.

Deimos
May 13th, 2009, 03:35 AM
I'm all for braiding! It really reduces knots and tangles. And you can use soft elastics without metal.
But I only sleep with dry hair. If I sleep with wet hair, it always feels gross in the morning..

Forever_Sophie
May 13th, 2009, 08:18 AM
A single braid for me! Very easy to deal w/ in the morning :)

Fethenwen
May 13th, 2009, 08:24 AM
To you I would recommend putting your hair up in a bun high up on your head with a hair clip.

embee
May 13th, 2009, 08:25 AM
I make a topknot on the very top and hold it with a big plastic hairpin. It's not terribly secure but it works well enough. I do use an elastic, but it's very loose.

JamieLeigh
May 13th, 2009, 09:07 AM
I'm too paranoid of breakage to sleep in a braid, personally. When I wear my hair in a braid during the daytime, after awhile it looks very fuzzy where my shorter hairs are escaping. I shudder to imagine what it would look like after tossing around on it all night. *shudder* I always wear mine loose, and I've never had anything horrible happen to it in the morning - no extra tangles, nothing. :)

Heidi_234
May 13th, 2009, 09:14 AM
I do a beebutt bun, and pull a thin slick satin legging thing over it, then secure loosely with big scrunchy. I think it keeps my length very protected, and I roll alot while asleep.

bahannas
May 13th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Thanks everyone! Looking forward to trying some of these later tonight. :)

Nyghtingale
May 13th, 2009, 05:28 PM
I like that sleep cap, gotta get me one of those.

zen_oven
May 13th, 2009, 05:56 PM
For a while there I slept in two braids. I have a lot of layering myself so that seemed to gather the shorter layers pretty well. Lately I've just been sleeping on a satin pillowcase and calling it good. I'm lazy.

Anje
May 13th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I like my goofy-looking sleep cap. My braid's long enough to wrap around my neck, and I end up sleeping on it besides. Buns aren't comfy to sleep in, for me.

Isilme
May 14th, 2009, 03:58 AM
I just sleep in a braid that starts quite high up on my head. If I wear a nape braid I get lots of white dots and breakage.

Juanita
May 14th, 2009, 04:09 AM
Two braids for me, and I use a satin pillow case.
I have also slept with buns high on head.You can also leave it loose and put it all above your head. But you need a reasonable amount of length to do this. I like this but the cat wants to sleep on it.
Experiment and find the best for you.

Delilah
May 14th, 2009, 08:09 AM
I wear a satin sleep cap, the type i use I designed and made myself.
It looks a lot like an old-fashioned bonnet but ties behind the neck instead of beneath the chin.

Melisande
May 14th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Oiled bun or side braid, contained in sleep cap (PrettyWrap), a pure silk shawl over my pillow. My hair is triple-protected ;-) but it still it breaks at the temples :confused:

Longhairpixie
May 14th, 2009, 12:26 PM
I make a bun or braid my hair every night. If not a "rat's nest", as my mother would call it will form in the middle of the night.

eshta
May 14th, 2009, 01:54 PM
I use a single braid, but I've been meaning to try a high bun with tiny claw clips or sleeping cap. But I don't think those will be very much appriciated by DH.
He's already calling me Pippi Longstockings every time I wear a braid :shrug: