PDA

View Full Version : Question about plain braiding

Curlsgirl
May 12th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Okay the easiest and least painful way of wearing my hair is a plain low braid. I have started to bring it up over my shoulder to finish instead of up above my head to minimize pulling on my scalp when I'm done. My question is when I pull it up over my shoulder to I turn the braid over and braid from underneath or leave it the way it is and braid the same way as I was. Does this make sense? I just wondered which is best to make a straighter neater braid.

spidermom
May 12th, 2009, 03:24 PM
I keep braiding the same way, though somebody once posted about flipping the braid over the shoulder and braiding just the opposite from that point. It worked all right but the other seems easier/quicker.

Anje
May 12th, 2009, 04:03 PM
I bring it over my shoulder without rotating the braid. So if it's supposed to look like an English braid from the back (V shapes), when I pull it over the shoulder, it looks Dutch (^ shapes). So I continue to braid it in the Dutch (crossing outward) style so that it will look like an English braid when it's hanging down my back.

Clear as mud?

Incidentally, I have not figured out how to make a side braid that doesn't twist. Is there a trick?

Curlsgirl
May 12th, 2009, 04:03 PM
That's the way that seems easier to me too Spidermom. I guess I will try the other way too and see. Thanks! I know bringing it over the shoulder causes much less headaches! :cheese:

Curlsgirl
May 12th, 2009, 04:06 PM
I bring it over my shoulder without rotating the braid. So if it's supposed to look like an English braid from the back (V shapes), when I pull it over the shoulder, it looks Dutch (^ shapes). So I continue to braid it in the Dutch (crossing outward) style so that it will look like an English braid when it's hanging down my back.

Clear as mud?

Incidentally, I have not figured out how to make a side braid that doesn't twist. Is there a trick?

To me unless I misunderstood you are turning the braid over when you bring it over the shoulder right? In that case that might be why yours is twisting because mine doesn't do that.

OR are you talking about a Dutch vs. a French braid? I don't think it matters with an English braid, there is only one way to cross and that is one outward strand over to the middle and then the other outward strand over to the middle. But then you can only do it that way on the length. I guess I am TOTALLY confused! NEXT! LOL!

danacc
May 12th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Hmmm. I wouldn't categorize what I do as "turning the braid over", but I think that's how you're describing what I do. :)

I start the braid in the back at the nape. After braiding a few times (a few "bumps"), I hold the braid sections all in my left hand. At this point, the braid is still behind my head, and the palm of my left hand is resting on the outside of the hair. The underside of the braid is against my neck. I bring my left hand and the hair over my left shoulder. My palm is still in the same place on the hair. But now, the outside of the braid is up against my shoulder. What used to be the underside against my neck is now facing "up" or "forward".

The way my brain thinks about it, when it's behind my head, I start by bringing an outer section of hair "over" the middle section. This is also called English braiding. When I bring it over my shoulder, and the underside is now facing forward, my brain thinks about what I do as bringing an outer section "under" the middle section. This is also called Dutch braiding. (I'm not talking about braiding along the scalp in a "Dutch" versus "French" braid, although in both cases Dutch braiding is when you bring the sections "under".)

JamieLeigh
May 13th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Either way seems to work fine for me. If you have a good hold on the braid and don't let anything drop or sag while moving it over your shoulder, you should be able to make a lovely, even braid. :) The more practiced you are at braiding, the quicker and more seamlessly you'll be able to make the transition.

HairColoredHair
May 13th, 2009, 11:27 AM
I unbraid it a little when I bring it over to see if I've twisted it upside down (so I'd have to braid Dutch (middle strand over outside strands)) or not so I can braid English (outer strands over middle).

Though typically I don't bother and just have a twisting braid... because I don't care. :D

GeoJ
May 13th, 2009, 11:53 AM
I do it both ways. I just am sure to look at what I am doing in a mirror if I want the braid to come out nicely.

I guess I sort of figure it out each time.

:)

BajanGal
May 13th, 2009, 02:21 PM
There always seems to be a twist when I pull mine to the side thats why i lift it up... :o I didnt know that causes breakage!?!

spidermom
May 13th, 2009, 02:25 PM
I used to just bend forward and let my hair fall toward the floor to finish, but the longer/heavier my hair got, the less well this worked.

Curlsgirl
May 13th, 2009, 07:25 PM
I used to just bend forward and let my hair fall toward the floor to finish, but the longer/heavier my hair got, the less well this worked.

I always get a few hairs that pull when I do that, that is why I looked for another way. I am so glad I learned to bring it over the shoulder as it doesn't pull that way at all!!! :cheese:

Anje
May 13th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Like Danacc, I don't consider what I'm doing to be twisting the braid, but you might. When I have it over my shoulder, the side of the braid facing forward and out is the side that will be against my back when I let it go back there again. So I'm essentially braiding the underside of it. To me, turning the braid over would mean that the side facing outward to the front will also be facing outward when the braid is behind me.

My problems with twisting braids are with braids that start behind one ear, rather than at the back of my head.

Masara
May 13th, 2009, 10:59 PM
I do more or less what Danacc describes. I bring the briad forward, being careful not to twist it (or turn my head the other way much) Then I reposition my hands so that instead of being behind the braid they are in front of it. then I continue braiding. The braiding movement is automatically reversed.

adventuring
May 14th, 2009, 12:13 AM
When I flip mine over my shoulder, I braid it so that the flat section rests against my neck. It looks sideways when over the shoulder, but lies flat against my back. Besides, I like the way it looks against my neck, too! I tend to seriously mess the braid up if I try it any other way.

Stevy
May 14th, 2009, 07:40 AM
I turn the braid over.

Monchhichi
May 16th, 2009, 11:26 AM
I turn the braid over, too. This works well with all braids except five-strands, where I start getting confused at this point. Any advice?