PDA

View Full Version : Chop it of or not?

Hannah83
May 12th, 2009, 03:04 PM
I have about 5 cm in the end of my hair that still is bleeched. The rest is my natural color, and the colored part fells much more damaged then the rest. I checked it for split ends, but there are not so many, but i can feel that it is not well. Should i make myself sad and chop it off, and have healthier hair, or should i keep it and just cut half a cm, or not cut at all and wait? I want it long, and 5 cm feels a lot. :(

ClareDee
May 12th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Personally I'd cut off all 5cm of it. It seems to be to be inevitable anyway, since if the hair is damaged it'll stay damaged, so you might as well just get rid of it now. But if it really upsets you to do that, then just trim a little at a time. :)

neon-dream
May 12th, 2009, 03:14 PM
If 5cm feels like a lot to you, I'd do mini trims every month or so until it's all gone, that way you are gaining length and slowly ridding your hair of damage :).

Though, you'd probably thank yourself for cutting off all 5cm and having healthier hair sooner!

It's upto you!

:flowers:

enfys
May 12th, 2009, 03:33 PM
In two weeks cut off 2.5cm, then if you aren't happy cut off another 2.5cm two weeks after that.

But if you aren't trimming yourself I'd go for the full 5cm just to know you had all over happy hair, and to save money.

AJoifulNoise
May 12th, 2009, 03:55 PM
I vote for mini-trims once a month or every two weeks until you remove all of the damage. That much all at once could be discouraging.

spidermom
May 12th, 2009, 04:02 PM
If it were me, I'd whack it all off. I have no patience for fighting with damaged hair. The better the condition, the more I enjoy it, and that is more important than length to me. I've probably cut off a foot of heat-damaged hair since I joined here in 2005. Do I miss that potential extra length? Not one little bit.

Hannah83
May 12th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Cutting makes me sad, but I know that the hair will be healthier. I do not trim myself, I will call my hairdresser tomorrow and see what she thinks.
How do i cut it myself? I have different lenghts, it is cut in layers. But i do think it is just the longest parts that has bleech on it. I am afraid it will be uneven and look strange.. :o

girlcat36
May 12th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Do you have a pic we could see?

I have been struggling with the chop/don't chop issue, but so far have hung in there and not cut. Every inch has been hard earned.

DecafJane
May 12th, 2009, 04:09 PM
How long is your hair? If it is BSL or longer, then go for it. If it is shorter, perhaps wait a while.
I agree that you should do it in stages if that is what you want to do.
Good luck with your decision.

BlackfootHair
May 12th, 2009, 04:19 PM
I would do mini trims along the way and moisturize the ends with a mask.

girlcat36
May 12th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I agree with DecafJane. Waiting until BSL is a good idea; it's a decent, longish length, and you can maintain from there.

***Hijack*** Jane your siggy's great! Excellent progress!

Hannah83
May 12th, 2009, 04:42 PM
I think I am waist. Sorry about the weird angle, i hanged the camera on the mirror. :DOf course I am wearing a white t-shirt, but I hope you all will see it.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l16/hannahk_01/blandat783.jpg

girlcat36
May 12th, 2009, 04:50 PM
If that were my hair, I wouldn't cut it. I think it looks pretty.

Hannah83
May 12th, 2009, 04:58 PM
If that were my hair, I wouldn't cut it. I think it looks pretty.

Thank you. I do not want to cut it either, sounds strange to cut when I want it longer. ;) I was just thinking that maybe it would grow faster and be healthier. But maby I can wait a while, and take little at a time, so there is not so much difference?

Madame J
May 12th, 2009, 05:04 PM
I cut off probably 7-8" (18-20 cm) of previously-dyed hair that had faded out after a careless summer. So yeah, I would say cut it off. It will grow back, and look better than ever.

renarok
May 12th, 2009, 05:05 PM
If it were me, I'd whack it all off. I have no patience for fighting with damaged hair. The better the condition, the more I enjoy it, and that is more important than length to me. I've probably cut off a foot of heat-damaged hair since I joined here in 2005. Do I miss that potential extra length? Not one little bit.

I second this. Your hair will look and feel so much better.

Anje
May 12th, 2009, 05:05 PM
For 2 in/5 cm of damage, I'd cut it, but I don't think I'd sacrifice much more than that unless it was driving me nuts. But I'm not desperately hoping for more length these days (more a longer-would-be-nice sort of thing), so my perspective may be different from yours.

Magicknthenight
May 12th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I would just cut off the damage. I know its hard to lose length but I'd be worried the damage might continue breaking off which leaves damage on the end to just break off as well so you would be losing length as it grows. However you could always take a little off at a time if thats what you are comfortable with. Your length looks good and that amount wouldn't take very long at all to grow back and would in the end be better for your hair and you wouldn't have to worry about it anymore. :)

Addy
May 12th, 2009, 05:56 PM
I'd chop it! :D 5 cm isn't much unless your hair grows reeeeeally sloooooow.

Fractalsofhair
May 12th, 2009, 06:04 PM
I'd suggest cutting it all at once. You have longish hair, so it's not too bad. I'm on the fence about chopping off my damaged hair and living with 4ish inches of virgin hair to grow out. I think I'll wait a while and deal with breaking hair! 5 cm isn't a lot, and you can get it done at once. Hair grows back fairly quickly, so in 4 months you'll be at the same length. Try babying the ends as well, if you think it would help?

Hannah83
May 14th, 2009, 06:38 AM
I choped it! And it feels wonderful! My hairdresser thought it was pretty funny watching my hair all virgin, becouse she could see the seasons change in my hair when she held it up. Winter, summer, winter, summer. :D Thanks all of you for replying! :flowers:

Gutterfayrie
May 14th, 2009, 06:44 AM
I'm glad that you're happy with it. Your hair is beautiful btw!

Addy
May 14th, 2009, 06:41 PM
No update/post chop pics?!!!

I feel slighted! :D Glad you are enjoying it! :cool:

LisaJaney
May 14th, 2009, 08:15 PM
I was going to say that I couldn't SEE any damage in that photo (beautiful hair; it's how I wish mine was) but see now that you've done the trim and are happy. Damage is hard to disguise, and even harder when it's our own hair because we tend to fixate on the bad and torture ourselves with it.

I'm so glad you are happy with it. It's how I figured you'd be (I have NEVER ONCE regretted cutting off damaged hairs, be it splits or whatever) and I'm always glad to have guessed right! :happydance:

I'm happy that you're happy. This is a good day!

Speckla
May 14th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Now you can grow long damaged free hair! Yeah for you.
Pictures don't always show damage. I know that most of my hair pictures show great looking curls but only the comb and the matts and tangles knew the truth.

Isn't it great to get rid of all the damage? Now go grow some beautiful locks!

Hannah83
May 15th, 2009, 01:48 AM
Thanks all of you for replying. :flowers: It feels healthier, but it is behaving strange. LOL. Anyway, here are the before and after pic. I see now that it is not so much difference, she only cut 2 cm I think.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l16/hannahk_01/blandat783-1.jpg

Niphredil
May 15th, 2009, 01:58 AM
I for one don't like it when my hair FEELS rough or tangles like hell, even if it still looks good. You have to handle your hair and you will be confronted by the feel of it much more than the look of it. I rather have healthy hair that is less long than it could have been, than to maximize the length and having horrible rough and damaged ends.

I was about to suggest the amount you got trimmed off. If you compare the pictures, the thinnest ends are now gone and it looks healthier to me now. Does it also feel better now ?

jera
May 15th, 2009, 01:59 AM
I have trouble cutting my hair too even for valid reasons like damage so frequent mini trims work best for my personality type. If you feel the same, it may help you to take a little off at a time. You'll get there eventually. :)

DecafJane
May 15th, 2009, 02:09 AM
Your hair looks great, both before and after the trim. :)

Hannah83
May 15th, 2009, 02:11 AM
I for one don't like it when my hair FEELS rough or tangles like hell, even if it still looks good. You have to handle your hair and you will be confronted by the feel of it much more than the look of it. I rather have healthy hair that is less long than it could have been, than to maximize the length and having horrible rough and damaged ends.

I was about to suggest the amount you got trimmed off. If you compare the pictures, the thinnest ends are now gone and it looks healthier to me now. Does it also feel better now ?

Yes it feels wonderful now. And it feels thicker, but i really do not get why. And I also think that it grows better and nicer if it is healthy all together. But i dont now if thats true, it just sounds right to me. :)

Hannah83
May 15th, 2009, 02:12 AM
Your hair looks great, both before and after the trim. :)

Thank you, yours is beutiful to! I love your color!

Wildcherry
May 15th, 2009, 02:14 AM
It looks great! If anything it actually looks a little longer to me in the "after" picture due to it being thicker and more even. Good choice!:)