PDA

View Full Version : For those who have done hair modeling...

nicolezoie
April 6th, 2008, 04:48 PM
What is a reasonable hourly pay rate to ask for? I will be working approximately 3 or so hours, and don't know what to ask for.

angelthadiva
April 6th, 2008, 07:25 PM
I would want to know what they would be doing to your hair, styling, and with what? No amount of money would be worth ratting or flat ironing etc.

That said, I've done some (but it was years ago, and for a good friend who was a hair dresser) and wanted to add styles to her portfolio. $50/hr is reasonable.

You might want to take into consideration your area. If you are in a small town, maybe charge less...A larger town, maybe more.

My guess is that it will be used for some type of advertisement, so they will be making money off of this somehow.

Good luck!

goodenough
April 6th, 2008, 07:26 PM
I do makeup for photo shoots, and the company pays 50/hour. This is in addition to anything paid the agency.

darkwaves
April 6th, 2008, 08:47 PM
nicolezoie, your hair is so amazing and long, you should charge more than an average fee.

nicolezoie
April 6th, 2008, 11:08 PM
$50/hour is kinda what I was figuring. I'm going to keep that in mind as this will be my first experience with this, and I don't want to come off as asking too much. Thanks!!:D

ETA: some details...

it's a video reference shoot....

"The director will want to see you running, twirling, shaking your head. We’ll probably put a fan in front of you at some point, and they may want you to get your hair wet. You should bring your own hair accessories and equipment with you, i.e., clips, elastics, barrettes, curling iron, dryer — whatever you can think of. Your hair for the shoot should be curly, but not frizzy. If you can get it to be wavy all the way from the top of your head to the end of your hair, that would be perfect.
....our artists are perfectionists. They’ll want to see how very long hair reacts in various situations, including how it lays on the floor if you kneel or sit....."

angelthadiva
April 7th, 2008, 07:51 AM
I didn't pay attention to your hair length, until another poster mentioned it. I think $50 is very reasonable.

Have fun, and let us know how it goes! :D

zift
April 7th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Nicole ,considering the rarity of your hair and the wealth of that organization which's going to make the video shoot , I'd ask for more than 50$. I think they might settle for 100$ or more??

Alaia
April 7th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Nicole ,considering the rarity of your hair and the wealth of that organization which's going to make the video shoot , I'd ask for more than 50$. I think they might settle for 100$ or more??

I agree. :) I don't think it would be too much of a stretch for them.

smythe_michael
April 7th, 2008, 02:46 PM
nicolezoie,
congratulations! That's awesome and somebody at disney has a good eye for nice hair.

since you mentioned a director, I am wondering if will have to even negotiate a price.

While certainly not a hair model, I did get to be in a commercial (non-speaking) part last year.
It was a pretty fun experience. It was about 4 hours and what seemed like 100 takes.
We were told to fill out a bunch of forms for their production company and got paid union scale for the 4 hours of work. I can't remember exactly what the check wound up being, but it was 400-500 for my efforts. Of course, they took taxes out as well, so the check was a little less.

Good Luck, and if you do negotiate, start high, don't under sell yourself.

ladystar
April 7th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Thats sounds great. Congrats, I have always wanted to do something like that. =)

Shell
April 7th, 2008, 03:01 PM
I also think $100 is more reasonable.

Beatnik Guy
April 7th, 2008, 03:03 PM
and if you do negotiate, start high, don't under sell yourself.
Exactly, if it's a negotiation, the best that can happen is that they say "ok", the worst is that you come down a little. In the souks of Marrakech, it's usual for a seller to start at 2 or 4 times the price they'd be happy with. :luke:

$100 /hour sounds quite reasonable to me though. 8)

darkwaves
April 7th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Do you have any idea what they might offer?

I know in other negotiations (for example, selling articles/writing), a simple technique is to ask, "Is that all?" in response to whatever they quote ... and of course, the first offer is rarely "all."

It will also depend on the size and budget of the company that wants to take the pictures.

If they are a large company, keep in mind that the copywriter who will be putting words to your images -- if a freelancer -- will be making $75 to $150 an hour, or more. (Based on professional Canadian (http://www.writers.ca/whattopay.htm)rates.) The photographer, perhaps more.

And consider supply and demand -- who else can they find with your hair?

Start high. Or ask what they have in mind, and push them higher. ($50 seems really low to me!)

Your hair for the shoot should be curly, but not frizzy. If you can get it to be wavy all the way from the top of your head to the end of your hair, that would be perfect. I missed this before -- this means you might have significant prep time, too.

I wonder if you could charge for the shoot, not by hour, to cover this?