PDA

View Full Version : anyone else working on shoulder to APL right now?

redneckprincess
May 12th, 2009, 12:26 PM
I am a solid 16" working tward APL, and hoping to reach it by the end of this year. Just wondering if anyone else out there is at the same and we can grow together and share notes
♥Angie

goodluckcharm
May 12th, 2009, 12:36 PM
I'm an inch or two away from APL. It's taken me sooo long to get here thanks to a stylist who was cutting off all my growth. I've been trying to grow out a chin length bob for almost two years now, sigh. So close to APL I can taste it!

Roseate
May 12th, 2009, 12:40 PM
You can do it! I was at shoulder in October, and just hit APL stretched. I can't wait for APL curly! For me the shoulder-to-APL part is the toughest part of growing. After that, it's all gravy!

redneckprincess
May 12th, 2009, 12:48 PM
thats so awesome. if we can just stay away from sissor happy people, lol

Fethenwen
May 12th, 2009, 12:52 PM
:bunny: Me!
Do you think it will take to the end of the year before reaching APL?? I was thinking it would just take til' august or something.

I think after I have reached APL my hair would finally start to get enough weight and length to finally look good when worn down. Can't wait :D

redneckprincess
May 12th, 2009, 12:57 PM
no Im truly hoping to get there before my birthday in Oct. I only have about 3 or 4" to GROW to get there....

goodluckcharm
May 12th, 2009, 01:05 PM
no Im truly hoping to get there before my birthday in Oct. I only have about 3 or 4" to GROW to get there....

I think you can definitely make it! Seriously, stay away from sissors!

Canarygirl
May 12th, 2009, 01:07 PM
I am at 17" in the back (nape), but I have a long neck and my sides are shorter and layered/texturized. My goal is to make it to APL by the end of the year. I am using Megatek + bhringraj oil every other day, plus trying to keep taking my hair vitamins and MSN. At least it helps me feel I'm doing something active to make my hair grow faster. ;)

Honestwitness
May 12th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Me,too. I didn't realize how close I am to APL, until I learned how to use the timer function on my camera this past week. I was taking all my pics by holding the camera at arm's length and twisting my head around so the camera was behind my head. However, the resulting views never showed my length accurately.

Finally, I pulled out the user manual and taught myself how to use the timer. It is so easy!! So, I took a pic with my bra showing and drew a line across the top of my armpit. creases in the back. I was happily surprised to see that my longest hairs in the back are very close to that line.

Yesterday at work, a friend said to me, "You're hair is really getting long!" I replied, "Yes, that's what happens when you leave the scissors alone.". She said, "Oh, so you're growing it out. It's gonna be so pretty!"

That was sort of a half-baked compliment, wasn't it? I would have liked to hear, "Oh, it's so pretty!" instead of, "...it's GONNA be so pretty."

I guess this is an awkward stage. I don't like the way it keeps getting inside my collars. I'm constantly flipping it out over the top of my collar all day long.

I know I could wear it up to avoid the collar interference. But, I like the way it feels down. I wore short hair for so many years and this is such a nice change.

If I had enough money, I'd get rid of every garment with a collar and buy all new collarless clothes. I don't foresee that happening, though, so I'm just hoping the longer it gets, the more the weight of it will keep it out of my collars.

viking_quest
May 12th, 2009, 01:32 PM
I am. Last time I measured I was at 19 inches and I only have 1.5 inches to go.

Tap Dancer
May 12th, 2009, 01:40 PM
I'm a couple of inches below my shoulders. My hair grows fast, so I'll definitely be at APL by the end of the year.

Hay22
May 12th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Me! Me! I just got a big 6" chop 2 weeks ago to fix some awful layers a stylist had decided to give me. I'm right above APL right now and have worn it up all but one day since the cut. I keep touching my hair and saying "Grow, damn it, grow!"

Unofficial_Rose
May 12th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Mine's a blunt-hemline 17". I am most encouraged at the idea that I could reach APL by the end of the year. :D Here's hoping!

melrose1985
May 12th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Since September of 2008 I have not cut my hair and I won't be cutting to at least making it to one year. So I'm hoping to be APL by september. Sometimes it looks like I'm totally going to make and other time it looks like I have miles to go.

My hair only grew only 1/4" this, and it's feeling like miles to go now!

Spike
May 12th, 2009, 03:41 PM
< waves > My longest layers are past shoulder, my shortest are jaw-length. By year's end or so, the longest will be solidly APL, and the shortest will be brushing shoulder. Finally updos will be possible!

Right now, the shortest layers hold for a moment, then leap free of whatever confinement I have them in. My hair laughs at clips, and no pin is strong enough. I tried a french braid this weekend, and actually managed to get a photo in just before the short locks burst their bonds and I had a hair fountain.

muuserid
May 12th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Hi! I'm an inch or two past shoulders and am aiming for APL too. I really need to measure my hair soon because I feel like it's growing fast, but maybe that's just wishful thinking. I'm hoping to hit APL by September or October.

redneckprincess
May 12th, 2009, 05:30 PM
do you ladies use anything special like vitimans, supplements, monistat, pills, creams,or lotions, if so what and how much/often?

Kunoichi
May 12th, 2009, 08:25 PM
:)Y'all can count me in too. I'm at bout 16 1/2" now, front layers are longer than the back. But I'm just gonna let it grow.
I don't really do anything special. No vitamins, monistat, etc. I'm one of those scaredy cats who doesnt' take anything she doesn't have to. I never take antibiotics anymore or anything. Had enough of that when mom used to make me take them all the time for sinus infections. Only ibuprophen occasionally when i have a headache :p.

I'd like to start taking vitamins, but most are the size of horse pills and I just can't swallow those.

Anyway, I would love to be at APL in 4 or 5 months myself... :magic:

Speckla
May 12th, 2009, 08:26 PM
I'm on board. I was looking at old pictures and saw how much progress I made in 5-6 months. It'll be a breeze to grow back what I cut off.

Silver & Gold
May 12th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I'm at just over 18" the last time I checked. I would have been to APL by now if it weren't for the fact that I had to trim most of my growth last year to blend in bangs and layers and remove some damage. But now I have very little layering left and much of the damage is in check so I'm hoping to leave my hair alone until I reach APL with the tiny exception of any needed microtrims to keep my hair from getting too rough and tangly. I still have just enough damage in my hair to make the ends rough and velcro like after about 2 or 3 months but I've found nipping the smallest amount off the ends has no effect on the length and makes my hair smoother for a few months.

So I'm with ya, sista! I'm hoping to reach APL in perhaps 8-10 months. I'm not quite certain how long it will take me to get there but I know I'll get there before a year is up.

HairyCarrie
May 12th, 2009, 09:22 PM
I'm also on the APL track with just over 3 inches to go. I've pegged APL on me as 22". I'm amazed at the different lengths that APL is on various folks. Hopefully this phase is the hardest to muster through as BSL is about 25" so it won't take as long.

I am not trimming and think I'll be APL between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'd be thrilled to have it happen sooner, but at least it will be this year. :smile:

tinker bug
May 12th, 2009, 09:35 PM
I'm not at shoulder (in fact I'm heading toward tailbone! So happy :D! ) but I just want to pop in and give encouragement for everyone out there who is around this stage. It was the most difficult for me, and I know you definately don't feel like a long hair when you're so *short* compared to everyone around here, but have fun with your length and be patient, you'll get there before you even realize it! Happy growing and best wishes to all future long hairs!!

gibsongirl71
May 12th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Me, me, me!! Slow but sure.

pineapple pea
May 12th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Me! But, I might pause a bit to let the front of my hair catch up, so it won't be APL this year probably.

Blue Willow
May 12th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Hi everyone (I'm new) in reading this thread some of the terms youre using I'm trying to figure out. :( Could someone define for me
What's APL? What's BSL? :confused: Thanx in advance:)

Honestwitness
May 13th, 2009, 12:05 AM
Hi, Blue Willow, and welcome. APL is arm-pit length and BSL is bra-strap length.

Samitra
May 13th, 2009, 01:26 AM
Hi everyone! I don't know exactly at what lenght I'll hit APL, but when I look in the mirror it seems like I only have 2" to go. So I'll probably make it this year!

I occasionally take vitamines, but I often forget to take them. I wear my hair up about 50&#37; of the time, and the rest of my routine can be found in my blog :D

I too have layered hair, so putting my hair up is a struggle and bobby pins are my best friends. But I'm working on it, every time I trim, I ask my hair dresser not to trim the layers as much as the lenght. So at this rate, I'll probably be layer-free in ten years or so...:p

Lucky
May 13th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Count me in! APL is my mid-term goal. I finally made it just past my shoulders. I too am hoping to make it to, or at least very near, APL by the end of this year or early 2010. I'm trying hard to hold off on trims, though I may get a dusting this month. I'm going to be in Columbus (OH) in about a week and I'm hoping to be able to get into Rapunzel's Salon for a dusting. Good luck to everyone on reaching your goals!

redneckprincess
May 14th, 2009, 06:27 AM
I'm not at shoulder (in fact I'm heading toward tailbone! So happy :D! ) but I just want to pop in and give encouragement for everyone out there who is around this stage. It was the most difficult for me, and I know you definately don't feel like a long hair when you're so *short* compared to everyone around here, but have fun with your length and be patient, you'll get there before you even realize it! Happy growing and best wishes to all future long hairs!!
Thank you for the encourgment... i was finally able to do my first up-do!!! Im so excited...you will have to look at my pics I cant post one here(dont know how)

goodluckcharm
May 14th, 2009, 08:53 AM
I take a basic multivitamin when I remember and that's it. Most supplements, like biotin and kelp, make me break out so I stay away from them. I do eat as healthfully as possible however.

It's so strange to me how difference there is between APL, BSL, and waist on people. I'm going to need about 24 inches to hit APL. But from there, BSL (bottom of my bra) is 28 inches, and waist is 30. I'm pretty stoked that once I hit APL I'll probably fly down to waist. This gives me hope. :cheese: Maybe I just have a very short torso and a long neck?

Also, I found a great APL measuring shirt that has a seam that goes horizontally across my back from arm pit to arm pit. I'll wear it the next time I do a length photo. It'll make it super easy to tell when I hit APL! I'm hoping I'll be there in July!

paper
May 14th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Me :waving: I'm about a half an inch to APL! :cheese: It's been forever getting there!

lapushka
May 14th, 2009, 10:52 AM
I'm between shoulder & APL, though it will take some time still for me to reach APL. I'm at 18.9 inches right now... and growing, and growing, and growing... :D

MuzicalH3rb
May 18th, 2009, 02:00 PM
I am a solid 16" working tward APL, and hoping to reach it by the end of this year. Just wondering if anyone else out there is at the same and we can grow together and share notes
♥Angie

I am. It's driving me bonkers! I feel like it's taking forever!

Shicurls
May 27th, 2009, 02:24 PM
It has taken me a solid two years to grow from two inches to shoulder length. TWO YEARS!!!! Arrrrgggghhhhhhhh!:brains:

So, now I am tempted to chop to one length, somewhere around chin length and continue to grow it from there, but then I think, if I can just make it to APL all will be well and then I can go to all one length......:shrug: Ah, well, it will all work out in the ends...:)

kwaniesiam
May 27th, 2009, 02:36 PM
That would be me! I'm so close to APL, just another inch or so. I can't wait until I'm there so I can secure a bun comfortably all day that the ends don't fall out of. Then its benign neglect and updos until further notice.

Madame J
May 27th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I'm also in this club. I measure at a pretty solid 20", but I have a long neck, so I'm probably at least 2-3 inches from APL. I've decided to just leave my remnant layers and old bangs alone for at least a year and focus on gaining length. Right now, I just baby my hair and do frequent scalp massages to encourage growth. I like to massage with NightBlooming's Triple Moon Anointing Oil during the waxing and full moon.

Silver Strands
May 27th, 2009, 02:43 PM
I just took my signature picture today and I have about 1" left to go.

I cut off henna 2 years ago into a 3-4" cut all over and then spent the next 16 months trimming off all the layers.
It's been a long journey and I can't wait to gain some real length now that the trimming is done and the henna is gone.

There is a thread titled: APL this year! that is already started if you'd like to continue over there.

curls2grow
May 27th, 2009, 04:54 PM
I'm joining in! I'm hoping that my hair will hit APL by end of this year when dry/curly. Before Spring's humidity set in, I was nicely below shoulder when dry/cruly. Now my curls are smaller and tighter, so it looks and feels like I've taken some backward steps in growth. :(

I am probably going to just bun it all summer so that I don't focus as much on what's frustrating me. Then maybe when the weather cools off again, I will have the nice surpise of more length.

I trim every 8-10 weeks too, which I know doesn't help my length goal, but I'm also trying to get rid of dry dyed damaged ends. :rolleyes:

Messyhair
June 9th, 2018, 08:48 PM
All of these shorty-growing threads seem really old, but I'm just past shoulder length... at the point where my ends just keep doing a little flirty flip up. Once my hair gets over itself, I'll be heading to collarbone and the APL.