PDA

View Full Version : How does oil work?

frangipani
May 12th, 2009, 05:10 AM
I am new to these forums, and i have been following the advice to use oil as a hair treatment. So far it has been successful, and my hair feels nice and soft. I was just wondering how it works exactly. Does it put a coating on your hair like silicons do?

Madame J
May 12th, 2009, 05:38 AM
It probably depends on the oil. I imagine some oil coats the hair a little to prevent damaging factors from the outside from getting at the hair. Other oils, however, can penetrate the hair shaft and bring moisture in. There have been studies showing that coconut oil does this.

Hannah83
May 12th, 2009, 05:53 AM
I read an article here on the forum about oiling, it was much information in it! http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=71

My hair just loves oil, I only wish I would have found my way here sooner!

frangipani
May 12th, 2009, 06:08 AM
me too ! thankyou for the link, i'm still finding my way around... there is so much info on here, it is a goldmine

Melisande
May 12th, 2009, 07:03 AM
I think oil does something similar to hair and to skin (the upper dry epidermis layer). It softens, smoothes, relieves the feeling of dryness and tangles because it lubricates the hair. It also helps to retain moisture.

I like to appy counter-intuitively first oil, then water. (Theory says, water first, and oil will keep it there). Works for me.