PDA

View Full Version : Square Four Strand Braid

Carthasis
April 6th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Does somebody know a tutorial for making yourself a square four strand braid? I need one where you can see exactly how to place the fingers and what goes in which slot. I know the dreamweaver tutorial, but it's not for doing it on yourself.

I understood the basic principle and I even managed to do one... more or less ;) But it was really awkward and the biggest problem was, that I couldn't get a secure enough hold to pull it all nice and taugh and it ended up a bit too loose:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/Mieronna/hair/boxbraidfrenchmin.jpg
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/Mieronna/hair/boxbraidfrench.jpg)

Wavelength
April 6th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Wow, I think that looks really good! :applause I've always liked the look of the box braid myself.

eadwine
April 6th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Wow hey.. that looks nice.. Do share the technique!

Rosemary
April 6th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Will this link help?

http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/braids/4square.htm

Carthasis
April 6th, 2008, 04:03 PM
It really is a lovely braid, I just want it a bit tighter!

@eadwine, The technique is fairly simple:
Strands: 1 2 3 4
4 under 3 and 2, back over 2. (becomes 3)
1 under 2 and 3, back over 3. (becomes 2)

@Rosemary, That's the one I know already ;) That's for braiding somebody else's hair though, not your own. Although... maybe it could be adapted for one's own hair...

Stevy
April 6th, 2008, 04:04 PM
I think that looks really pretty!

I recommend Karen Ribble's books - she's great for giving you finger-by-finger instructions.

birdiefu
April 6th, 2008, 04:18 PM
With a box braid, I don't really think of the strands as in a row since it really confuses me as it's more of a 3-D braid. Let's see if I can explain sorta how to do it...

Looking at the strands as a cross-section from above (or below) you have:

1 2
3 4

Then you switch the positions of the diagonal strands so...

4 2
3 1

Then switch the positions of the other pair of diagonal strands...

4 3
2 1

And repeat those two steps till done. When you switch diagonals, try to make sure to be consistent with which strand goes on which side. So if you switch 2 and 3, with 2 (for examples sake, say 2 is on the right closest to the nape) with 2 staying on the inside (nape side) of the cross, do the same each time.

Hope this makes sense!

Carthasis
April 6th, 2008, 04:22 PM
That method does make sense, I need to try it!
But it still doesn't answer my question of which fingers go where.

@Stevy, Oh thanks! German Amazon doesn't have any, but maybe I can score one ebay some day!

eadwine
April 7th, 2008, 05:00 AM
@eadwine, The technique is fairly simple:
Strands: 1 2 3 4
4 under 3 and 2, back over 2. (becomes 3)
1 under 2 and 3, back over 3. (becomes 2)
Aha! Thank you :)

With a box braid, I don't really think of the strands as in a row since it really confuses me as it's more of a 3-D braid. Let's see if I can explain sorta how to do it...

Looking at the strands as a cross-section from above (or below) you have:

1 2
3 4

Then you switch the positions of the diagonal strands so...

4 2
3 1

Then switch the positions of the other pair of diagonal strands...

4 3
2 1

And repeat those two steps till done. When you switch diagonals, try to make sure to be consistent with which strand goes on which side. So if you switch 2 and 3, with 2 (for examples sake, say 2 is on the right closest to the nape) with 2 staying on the inside (nape side) of the cross, do the same each time.

Hope this makes sense!
That actually confused me the first time I tried it. I couldn't figure out how to switch things, so I am going to give Carthasis' explanation a try :)

Billie
April 7th, 2008, 05:38 AM
What really helped me mastering this braid was first doing it on your hair after you took all your hair over one shoulder to the front. Or you could do two boxbraids if you like. Then, once you have the feeling in your fingers (because your fingers have to learn the braiding, not your brain, really, the more you think about it, the worse it gets!) you can do it on the back of your head.

eadwine
April 7th, 2008, 05:41 AM
Wonderful.. just that my hair isn't long enough :lol:

China Cat Sunflower
April 7th, 2008, 06:40 AM
that looks very nice

Meli
April 7th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Wonderful.. just that my hair isn't long enough :lol:

Your hair should be long enough... I did a square four-strand braid on my sister and it worked. She has about the same length as you - and very slippery, layered hair! She is also 1c/f/ii, just like you and me.