PDA

View Full Version : Heavy hair

jera
May 11th, 2009, 02:50 PM
My hair has been getting so heavy in the year since I joined LHC, no doubt from all the healthy things I'm doing to it which have begun to pay off. :) I'm noticing now that when I put my hair up, after a while it gets so heavy and weighty I have to take it down for awhile just to give the back of my head and nape of my neck a break from the pressure.

Don't get me wrong. I'd much rather have this problem than ts opposite, but I do wonder how do those of you with super long hair deal with the stress from its weight when it's worn up? :confused: Since my goal is knee length hair (or even terminal :D ) it will make a difference in the future. Please don't suggest cutting. :o

Longlocks3
May 11th, 2009, 03:39 PM
NO CUTS, AHHHHHH. I would never dream of suggesting cutting!

Don't know if I count as 'super' long but mines TBL and I know what you mean about the heaviest especially starting at the waist length. I've found that certain updos, buns, etc. are easier on my hair, weight wise. Can I wear a really tight high ponytail all day? No, and I doubt I'll be able to every again. Hairsticks seem to be easier for the weight too, I really don't know why. A personal favorite for when I'm slumming around the house is a side braid that I wrap on top of my head and use a couple of bobby pins to hold it up.

hazelnut
May 11th, 2009, 04:29 PM
I actually wish I had this problem. My hair is so short (at my shoulders). It's frustrating. (sorry to disrupt the thread. I just wanted to say that I wish I had the "heaviness" problem. :()

AutumnLeaves
May 11th, 2009, 04:32 PM
I get really bad headaches from heavy hair myself and tend to leave mine down an awful lot. When neatness matters, though, I try to minimize discomfort of both hair accessories and position of hair so that the weight doesn't exacerbate a headache.

marajade
May 11th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Everyone's different when it comes to distributing the weight in their hair. I tend to have problems with the front hairline in the middle where I would have bangs, so I have to shift my hair around a bit so it doesn't tug. I tend to have good luck with small jaw clips to make a bun.

Islandgrrl
May 11th, 2009, 05:32 PM
I suggest experimenting with different updos to try to distribute the weight of the hair such that it doesn't bother you.

I've found that pinned up braids work well, as do multiple buns and buns placed more toward the nape of my neck.

Carina
May 11th, 2009, 09:10 PM
I would love to have this problem with heavy hair.But I have the opposite problem.:mad:.But I hope I will get heavy hair in a couple of years.:lipssealed:.

Jessica Trapp
May 11th, 2009, 09:39 PM
I don't have "heavy" hair but after it reached past waist I had to experiment with updos that distributed the weight better. A crown braid works for me because it keeps the weight more on top of my head.

I hope you find a solution.

:flower:
Jes

Flynn
May 11th, 2009, 10:05 PM
I just don't wear it "up" for long periods of time. It lives in a braid, usually hanging over one shoulder.

jera
May 12th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I would love to have this problem with heavy hair.But I have the opposite problem.:mad:.But I hope I will get heavy hair in a couple of years.:lipssealed:.

I'm sure it will. :) When I first joined LHC my hair was a dry damaged disaster that I thought would never recover but all the members have been so supportive and the advice I received was so beneficial, here I am posting a thread on heavy hair. :p Who knew.

JamieLeigh
May 13th, 2009, 10:21 AM
I don't consider my hair to be super-long, although outsiders who aren't familiar with LHC or anything past BSL do seem shocked by its length, lol. But I would suggest varying the positions of the updos you wear. That way you're not putting pressure in the same place every day. :)

And enjoy it!!! Like you said in your OP, it's MUCH nicer to have this problem than to be wishing for thickness. (Me, I'm still wishing for thickness....lol)

Fethenwen
May 13th, 2009, 11:38 AM
I actually wish I had this problem. My hair is so short (at my shoulders). It's frustrating. (sorry to disrupt the thread. I just wanted to say that I wish I had the "heaviness" problem. :()
Same here! :justy:

Nicoliee
January 22nd, 2011, 05:40 AM
I wear mine down 99% of the time but if I wear it up it's very heavy.

Messyhair
January 22nd, 2011, 06:19 AM
It's not really a problem now with it being only APL, but when it's longer I have to make sure to get the right position for my bun. For me, it's high up on my head (the crown, maybe?) so it won't fall out and it won't cause headaches.

And like a previous poster said, hair sticks seem to do wonders at helping with the weight issue. Dunno why.

IndigoAsh
January 22nd, 2011, 06:36 AM
I wrap mine on top of my head. Low buns are really uncomfortable for me because of my hair's weight. I usually bun it high when I'm running around cleaning and when I get a headache I lay down on my back and drape the hair over the back of the pillow. I sleep that way also.

UltraBella
January 22nd, 2011, 06:46 AM
My hair is quite heavy. I can not wear low buns or buns on the back of my head. When I bun my hair I bun at the top of my head, it supports the bun so there is no pulling and it looks cuter on me too.

Kristin
January 22nd, 2011, 07:58 AM
I think it helps to wear the buns high, too. And as UB said, it does look cuter in my opinion.

I also don't wear intricate updos. I wear easy, quick buns that can be- and are- taken down if my head and/or neck start to hurt. And then I put it back up for a bit. Then down. The up. You get the picture.

And don't bun your hair wet if it's already heavy. That is an instant headache for me.

Madora
January 22nd, 2011, 08:55 AM
Sectioning the hair will help distribute the weight more comfortably.