PDA

View Full Version : Help Breaking a Bad Habit...

LiraelQ
May 11th, 2009, 11:52 AM
I'm trying really hard to break a bad habit. For years I have absently scratched at my scalp with my nails. It was worse when I was in high school and using Pantene, which gave me terrible buildup. As it is, I still have hard sebum, which invariably reappears 4-8 hours after I've washed, regardless of the product/method I've used. Commercial products (shampoo, conditioner) aggravate the problem but "natural" or homemade recipes don't really solve it. It doesn't get itchy/greasy, exactly, but I can still tell it's there and I want to get rid of it!

I do it absently, too, when I'm preoccupied or stressed, so I'm not always aware of it. It's kind of like picking at chapped lips...

Anyway, sorry if this is TMI! :o I know all this scritching caused a lot of damage to my scalp in the past, and I now suspect it has something to do with my layer of kinky flyaways as well (which are really getting out of control). I think I could be curling my little hairs one by one!

I wanted to see if anyone else has quit a similar habit, to get some suggestions for how to do it. Even when I'm conscious of it it's very difficult to resist! How do you keep from messing with your hair/scalp when it's better left alone?

eshta
May 11th, 2009, 12:09 PM
I know what you mean with the hard sebum, I have it too. It's annoying.

Try to make the habbit less damaging by scratching not with your nail but with the pad of you finger. After a while you get used to it and when you scratch adsently it will be less damaging. I also scratch absently and can't seem to stop scratching completly. This works well for me.

Also with fancy or newly learned up-do's I'm more consious of my hair and the absently scratching is reduced, maybe this will work for you too?

Longlocks3
May 11th, 2009, 12:14 PM
When I first notice my psoriasis and before I really knew what to do about it I though I could 'pick' off the scales. Turns out when you pull off the scales your hair goes with it! Thats how I ended up with 50% of my hair loss, the other half was the psorasis scales themselves falling off and taking hair. TMI I know!

Are you sure you don't have a scalp issue? Is the 'hard' sebum like a scale that attaches to multiple hairs? You may have psoriasis or a similar condition/dermatitis. I would talk to your doctor and/or a dermatologist, although it took a D.O.(doctor of osteopathic medicine) to fix my issue as my dermatologist wasn't being aggressive enough with the issue.

Also, T/Gel and/or T/Sal do help for some, but not all. T/Gel has tar in it to help with issue, but it did nothing for me. T/Sal helps break down the scales better but they are both pretty harsh shampoos.

Carina
May 11th, 2009, 12:14 PM
I share that nasty scratch habit with you.My scalp is so sensitive to sulphates and perfume.I get the worst itches every now and then.But acv does reduce my itching.I have short nails now so I don't get a bloody scalp when I scratch.

unaspenser
May 11th, 2009, 12:22 PM
I do this too... some things really seem to make my scalp break out and I can't leave it alone. Switching to using a true soap (as in saponified oils rather than detergents like sls) made a HUGE difference for me. Wearing my hair up most of the time also helps.

erbe
May 11th, 2009, 12:24 PM
My scalp does a lot better with natural shampoos. I used them for years, and then started using coupons, so I got some great free deals on regular shampoo. It happened slowly, but once I figured out why my hair was acting badly, I switched back to natural shampoos, and realized my scalp was acting nicer as well. Right now I am loving Aubrey Organics.

Anje
May 11th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Sounds like you're one of those people who picks at things, perhaps more when you're stressed. I do -- sometimes I'm pulling apart fingernail cuticles, other times I'm yanking eyebrows... If you're like that, it really isn't about your scalp, though you might partly enjoy getting the dry sebum off -- it's about the picky habit.

About a month ago, I got one of these: http://fidgettoy.com/ (Little fella model, because I wanted something quiet.) Very nice, and it gives me something to occupy my hands. (Just don't lose it!)

As for the dry sebum, you might want to talk with Mira-chan, who also has to deal with it. I think oiling the scalp helps.

creativehoney
May 11th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Messing with your scalp is probably making ur scalp produce More sebum.

Like, your stimulating your scalp whenyou do that.

Have you ever noticed after brushing clean dry hair for long periods of time your roots appear oily?

Twirl your hair or something try to avoid messing with your scalp especially, maybe keep a little notebook beside you with a pencil and doodle or draw just to keep your hands busy.

HairColoredHair
May 11th, 2009, 12:34 PM
I do this too. Especially if my scalp's broken out (too much SLS or whatever is on its bad list that particular day, I think it hates me) then I pick until it bleeds and then pick the scabs...

Drawing helps. I like to draw and it keeps me from mucking about my hair (scalp, skin, cuticles, face... er.)

I scar easily and the fact that I pick does not help.

SimplyViki
May 11th, 2009, 12:44 PM
I do the same, although not to a very extreme point. I do have other habits, though, that fall more or less on the same category - I'm one of those "picky" people, I guess. I pick everything - zits, itches, scabs, and yes, my scalp. I also pluck hairs (head, lashes, brows, and other). I find that I'm less able to if I cut my fingernails very short. I don't like my fingernails being that short, because I think they're ugly, but I paint them with several coats of polish so they look prettier. The thick coats of polish serve a dual purpose - my nails will be less sharp as they grow a little longer because of the thick layer of polish, and they won't look ugly. The FidgetMan looks like a good idea - I'll have to check that out.

florenonite
May 11th, 2009, 12:46 PM
I do the same, although not to a very extreme point. I do have other habits, though, that fall more or less on the same category - I'm one of those "picky" people, I guess. I pick everything - zits, itches, scabs, and yes, my scalp. I also pluck hairs (head, lashes, brows, and other). I find that I'm less able to if I cut my fingernails very short. I don't like my fingernails being that short, because I think they're ugly, but I paint them with several coats of polish so they look prettier. The thick coats of polish serve a dual purpose - my nails will be less sharp as they grow a little longer because of the thick layer of polish, and they won't look ugly. The FidgetMan looks like a good idea - I'll have to check that out.

I'm a "picky" person, too, even though my fingernails are really short because I, er, pick them (and bite :p. I've been trying to stop this for about fifteen years). I still manage to pick at scabs, spots, my scalp, etc. I think I might need to get myself one of those FidgetMans in an effort to stop.

Fethenwen
May 11th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Aw man, I have the same problem. Usually this happens when I read a book, I sit and hold the book with one hand and fiddle with my hair and scalp with the other. It's horrible how many hairs I loose while scratching, today I lost like 20 in one hour. My scalp start to itch when I scritch it which only leads to more scritching :/

By the way how do one know one has hard sebum? I didn't know there was any differences.

GeoJ
May 11th, 2009, 12:52 PM
I also have a bad habit of picking at myself. Scalp, cuticles, any scab or blemish...

I have trouble like you are describing, what I think may be a dry sebum that I like to scratch off. I find that wearing a slumber cap to bed and a scarf or bandanna when I am studying helps (covers the area when I am likely to absent-mindedly scratch and pick at my scalp). I think someone else mentioned oiling the scalp, and this does also help me, but I am lazy about actually taking the time to oil my scalp.

heidi w.
May 11th, 2009, 12:53 PM
I think you're a candidate for scritching!

The main reason to not use fingers and fingernails for digging into scalp is this can potentially introduce yet more dirt and other "goodies", which for some scalp situations can actually increase irritation.

The best way to break a habit is to organize a replacement habit that is somehow more appropriate and fitting for the situation. Since habits are so auto-pilot, something we do without even noticing it each and every time, unless we have some kind of mechanism for replacement it's really hard to remind ourselves to stop doing X.

Scritching is a more formalized way of scratching the head for the effect of a scalp massage and/or to lift and loosen sebum, dirt, grime, old dried product, skin bits, prior to an actual hair wash (whether a full or scalp wash).

It's pretty easy to do.

Using a very small, fine-toothed comb, organize the hair going back, away from the forehead hairline. Then starting one side of center at front hairline, place the teeth of the comb at approximately a 45 degree angle and start going into the hairline using the teensiest of back&forth motions to the back of the head. When you get to the ears, fold the ear down and put teeth facing ear, flip comb and go on up. ETA: proceed in little rows next to each other. You'll get the hang of this after two or so tries, and then you'll come up with some ways of your own. For example, I like to bend my head to one side and go over the scalp sideways, from ear to ear, drawing the hair in that direction (flowing all off to one side) END ETA

This will not remove hair strands.

It feels really good and if your sebum is dry and now somewhat piled up, this will improve your next hair wash. It may take a few hair washes to feel that your scalp is really clean.

Remember, hair washing as a term is a bit of misnomer. Hair washing is for hygiene, and it's the scalp skin that needs cleansing more than the hair strands themselves: it simply is the case that hair happens to be close to the scalp and some of that sebum buildup attaches to the hair strands and in this way provides a protective layer to scalp skin and hair too.

heidi w.

InTheCity
May 11th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I can hardly believe how many people share in this habit.

I saw the post title and thought to myself "yeah, my bad habit is picking my scalp, I wonder what this persons is." Wow.

I'm with you haircoloredhair, my habit (unfortunately) is not scratching but rather picking at a spot until it bleeds. Once it scabs, I pick again. Now I have three spots total that I can't stay out of.

Having hair up helps, but I'm beginning to think sitting on my hands or permanently wearing gloves is the only thing that will stop me. Even knowing my worst spot is now a teensy tiny bald patch hasn't stopped me :confused:

SimplyViki
May 11th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I'm a "picky" person, too, even though my fingernails are really short because I, er, pick them (and bite :p. I've been trying to stop this for about fifteen years). I still manage to pick at scabs, spots, my scalp, etc. I think I might need to get myself one of those FidgetMans in an effort to stop.
Yeah... The polish thing only helps to a certain extent... I can still manage to squeeze the living daylights out of a zit, and pluck my eyebrows practically bald. Heaven forbid I should ever own one of those tools meant for extracting blackheads and such! I'd end up mutilating my face, I'm sure. I'm convinced the only reason I don't bite my nails is that my teeth don't meet in front. Not sure why I don't pick them (though I pick at the cuticles) but I think I'll not dwell on it, for fear of picking up yet another aspect of my habit!:shrug:

Curlsgirl
May 11th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Sounds like you're one of those people who picks at things, perhaps more when you're stressed. I do -- sometimes I'm pulling apart fingernail cuticles, other times I'm yanking eyebrows... If you're like that, it really isn't about your scalp, though you might partly enjoy getting the dry sebum off -- it's about the picky habit.

About a month ago, I got one of these: http://fidgettoy.com/ (Little fella model, because I wanted something quiet.) Very nice, and it gives me something to occupy my hands. (Just don't lose it!)

As for the dry sebum, you might want to talk with Mira-chan, who also has to deal with it. I think oiling the scalp helps.

I am ADD and LOVE the fidget toy idea! I have a terrible habit of picking at my cuticles until they bleed :o I am thinking about ordering one. I wish they weren't $15 but if I use it it would be worth it.

heidi w.
May 11th, 2009, 01:20 PM
One thing to know is that in the business of washing hair less frequently it also is NOT a game of who can wash the least and get away with it.

In short, more is not better. (Common misconception that, especially, those new to hair care techniques tend to go through.)

What I mean is this:
It's not the best idea to go uber long without washing your hair (says one of the worst offenders of this rule and who also has seborrheic dermatitus meaning I get some interesting irritations with sloughing skin, including scab spots). Why?

This is all about acid mantle.

The acid mantle is the whole system of the body's way of maintaining pH of your scalp skin. In fact, all your skin has an acid mantle!

Sebum is a key part of the acid mantle: the acid mantle is about balance of sweat and sebum. Sebum is a protective layer to keep dirt and grime out of hair follicles; keep the scalp skin from becoming too dry, and so on.

When you delay washing the hair, we all notice that over time our sebum builds and our hair looks a bit stringy or section-y near the roots, kind of clumps together a bit. This sebum, this waxy ester (not really an oil -- a waxy ester), causes this clumping of hair sections affect.

If you delay long enough bacteria rises up, ever present bacteria, and it grows pretty fast. Sebum breaks it down. But sometimes it can kind of get into hyper drive and even perhaps enter a hair follicle and cause a little mini infection, and thereby release a healthy hair somewhat early, before it's time (and yes, each hair follicle knows when it's time to release a hair in that constant cycle of grow; rest; slough -- just as our body knows to have a monthly mensus and other time release type things. You see, this cycle helps prevent the problem of actually being bald suddenly for some brief period of time since each follicle has its own lifespan and cycle unique to it.)

Sebum can build up too much, and harden as the OP describes (although, yes, some people have hard sebum naturally); or the hair can take on a tinge of unpleasant aroma. The longer we stall off washing, the more this aroma builds and eventually the sebum when lifted will have a yellow-y hue or tinge. Really built up it may look more distinctly yellow-y, smell, and even may look a bit gray, and even feel kinda like mashed potatos with gritty bits in it (that's dirt bits or even sloughing skin bits).

SO, the clue is that when hair begins to smell, it really is time to wash the hair to prevent the potential of unnecessary hair loss!

TO improve the quality of a hair wash, I heartily recommend some version of scritching as outlined above.

This technique was taught to me by a lady that LHC doesn't allow discussion of. For those with scalp skin problems: seborrheic dermatitus, dandruff, exzema, psoriasis to name a few, scritching is really helpful.

heidi w.

heidi w.
May 11th, 2009, 01:22 PM
It sometimes also feels really good to bend over and draw hair upside down and brush from the backside (or rather, comb).....

It stimulates circulation big time.

heidi w.

florenonite
May 11th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Yeah... The polish thing only helps to a certain extent... I can still manage to squeeze the living daylights out of a zit, and pluck my eyebrows practically bald. Heaven forbid I should ever own one of those tools meant for extracting blackheads and such! I'd end up mutilating my face, I'm sure. I'm convinced the only reason I don't bite my nails is that my teeth don't meet in front. Not sure why I don't pick them (though I pick at the cuticles) but I think I'll not dwell on it, for fear of picking up yet another aspect of my habit!:shrug:

I've recently added to it in that I not only pick at my own scalp and pop my zits, but I do this to my DBF, too! He doesn't mind my picking at his scalp, though, a I'm gentle and so it's like a nice massage. As for the zits, well, at least I'm gentler than his mother, who unfortunately never had many zits of her own to pop as a teenager. We wonder how she manages teaching secondary school as she must get the urge to descend upon some of her students when they've got Vesuvius growing on their faces.

Curlsgirl
May 11th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Oooooooooooooooooo I like this, you can customize the little things on it

http://cgi.ebay.com/My-Stimmy-Autism-PDD-Aspergers-ADHD-Sensory-Fidget-Toy_W0QQitemZ290275185296QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item4395bfd290&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50#ebayphot ohosting

ravenreed
May 11th, 2009, 02:44 PM
When I was using regular shampoo I had a problem with constant sebum build up and crazy itchiness. Since switching to CO and using acv, my scalp is a lot happier. I still scratch a lot, but it used to be constant!

jezebel17
May 11th, 2009, 03:06 PM
I'm confused. Doesn't scritching with a fine tooth comb cause damage to the scalp, or pull out hairs?

LiraelQ
May 11th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Wow, I'm amazed to find so many people do this like I do! Yeah, I guess I'm a "picker," as weird as that is to say. I was terrible with zits for a long time. Those fidget toys are such a great idea! I should find something to fidget with...

As far as scritching goes, I've always worried that would add even more stress to the hair near my scalp. My hair is quite fine and tangles happen at the drop of a hat. I DO love running my Tangle Teezer over my scalp...for some reason I don't feel like that messes my hair up as much. My scalp loves the stimulation and it does seem to breathe better. I'd be afraid to do it with a fine-toothed comb, though!

Flynn
May 11th, 2009, 05:20 PM
I poke instead of scratching, and it does help.

longhairedfairy
May 11th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Take up some craft that requires both hands, such as origami. It will help keep your hands busy so you can't scratch.

LiraelQ
May 11th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Take up some craft that requires both hands, such as origami. It will help keep your hands busy so you can't scratch.

Hah! Yeah, but the problem is I do it at work. My boss would think it was so random if I just started making tons of origami...heh, and he'd also yell at me to get back to work.

rapunzhell13
May 11th, 2009, 08:09 PM
I can hardly believe how many people share in this habit.

I saw the post title and thought to myself "yeah, my bad habit is picking my scalp, I wonder what this persons is." Wow.

I'm with you haircoloredhair, my habit (unfortunately) is not scratching but rather picking at a spot until it bleeds. Once it scabs, I pick again. Now I have three spots total that I can't stay out of.

Having hair up helps, but I'm beginning to think sitting on my hands or permanently wearing gloves is the only thing that will stop me. Even knowing my worst spot is now a teensy tiny bald patch hasn't stopped me :confused:

You took the words right out of my mouth! I actually started a thread on the old forum and was very surprised at how many people could relate.

When I feel myself getting frenzied I jump into the shower ASAP and wash my hair. I find I can usually control myself when my hair is clean.

HairColoredHair
May 11th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Hah! Yeah, but the problem is I do it at work. My boss would think it was so random if I just started making tons of origami...heh, and he'd also yell at me to get back to work.
Yeah, I get some odd looks for doodling all over my bench, but I have to do something!

LiraelQ
May 12th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Okay! My trial solution is to keep track of EACH and EVERY time I scratch my scalp...EVEN with the pads of my fingers. Each day I'll use a new post-it and tick off a mark every time I do it.

So far my tally is 6. Most of those were while driving. Here in my seat I can see the post-it and it's actually a pretty powerful deterrent!

Now...here's hoping I don't go back to picking at my lips or something instead...

heidi w.
May 12th, 2009, 08:57 AM
I'm confused. Doesn't scritching with a fine tooth comb cause damage to the scalp, or pull out hairs?

no. It might loosen some hairs that are already prepared to slough anyway. But it won't be much.

You draw the hair in the direction you intend to scritch....from front to back, for example.

heidi w.

heidi w.
May 12th, 2009, 09:01 AM
As far as scritching goes, I've always worried that would add even more stress to the hair near my scalp. My hair is quite fine and tangles happen at the drop of a hat. I DO love running my Tangle Teezer over my scalp...for some reason I don't feel like that messes my hair up as much. My scalp loves the stimulation and it does seem to breathe better. I'd be afraid to do it with a fine-toothed comb, though!

Note my siggy pix....straight uber fine hair (lots of it)...tangles at the drop of a hat or the one turn of a head or a waft of breeze.

You don't comb your hair with this comb.....you only work on the scalp with the fine-toothed comb; organizing the hair front to back is done with one's regular comb.

One can always try it once or twice and see for themselves. I am a proponent of it's ok to at least try it to see how it works, and then make a decision.

I do it before every hair wash since I have seborrheic dermatitus, and it REALLY helps me to have a very cleansed scalp (whether scalp wash or full hair wash).

heidi w.

mira-chan
May 21st, 2009, 02:03 PM

Oiling the scalp did help me, a lot. Only certain oils help too. For me the best are sesame and a mix of coconut and castor. Others weren't much help.

Scritching didn't help me. It only gave me an achy scalp and more hair lost. None of the scalp crud budged at all. Without oil or full wetting of the scalp in wash, the stuff feels like it's cemented to my scalp. Washing more makes my scalp feel dry, tight and itchy, my hair is not happy then either, so that's counter productive too.

As for the picking, I do that when really bored or frustrated, but I've gotten better. I put stuff in my hands to do. Whether it's cleaning, origami, drawing, fiddling with a pen, etc. Something that works for the situation.

ieiazel
May 24th, 2009, 03:23 PM
This may sound mean but it's a relief to see that I'm not the only one with this problem. I shed tons of hair every day, and I know that the main reason is the endless scratching. It's not that my scalp itches: scratching became an habit since I had lice when I was a girl.
Right now my hand seems to go to my hair on its own, and sometimes I'm not even aware that I'm doing it!

Bunnyhare
May 24th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Yes, I do it too..I definitely do better when my hair is up,I play alot less then since I can't easily get in /out of my hair..i am a picker too, i think it is part of our personalities and we have to redirect..I am a dental assistant and it is great for that! so I guess that is a slight release,justification even!HEEHEE