PDA

View Full Version : Question about bangs

Fairlight63
May 11th, 2009, 08:32 AM
I was wondering if there are any general rules about having bangs, like:
if you wear glasses it is better to not have bangs because it is just too much in your face - covering up your face

If you have a widows peak is it better to have bangs to cover it up?

Or are there any other "rules"?

What do you think?

Forever_Sophie
May 11th, 2009, 08:58 AM
I don't think there are any rules...Just a matter of finding what works for you :)

Euphony
May 11th, 2009, 09:16 AM
I've heard/read that people with short foreheads shouldn't have bangs. I only recently read about that though, I had bangs all my life up until 6 years ago when I grew it out. I have a pretty short forehead and a somewhat small, round face - but I think it looked fine and no one ever told me I shouldn't have bangs.

viking_quest
May 11th, 2009, 09:23 AM
I wore bangs for years and wore glasses. There are no rules when it comes to hair. Just do what works for you.

Wind
May 11th, 2009, 09:26 AM
I don't know about rules, per se, but I've had glasses and a side swept fringe. I think it looked fine. My longish, straight across bangs didn't go so well with glasses though.
From what I've heard and seen, it's not good to cut bangs with a widow's peak, as it acts like a cowlick and they either split or stick up without the length to hold them down. Then again, it might work for some people, idk. :)

mightymustang
May 11th, 2009, 09:28 AM
I, also don't know of any "rules".
I feel I look better with bangs. It covers up my high forehead!
From time to time I also wear glasses instead of my contacts and I don't have a problem having bangs and wearing glasses too. :o

florenonite
May 11th, 2009, 01:16 PM
I'm getting glasses, and when I tried them on I thought all the pairs I tried, including the ones I chose, looked better with my fringe down than held back (I pin it back sometimes so I wanted to see how they looked both ways). I have rather a long face, though, with a large forehead, so that might be why.

Tap Dancer
May 11th, 2009, 01:23 PM
I wore bangs for years and wore glasses. There are no rules when it comes to hair. Just do what works for you.

I also wore bangs and glasses forever. I've heard that if you have a small forehead, you shouldn't have bangs and if your forehead is large, you should cover it with bangs. But that's silly. You shouldn't have bangs "to hide something" and not everyone wants to hide. If you like a look, try it out! If you end up not liking it, you can always change it back. :flower:

GlennaGirl
May 11th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Bangs and glasses are cute. If I do say so myself. :D

spidermom
May 11th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Anybody can wear bangs, I believe, although certain types of bangs look better with certain face shapes, also taking into account things like glasses, close-set eyes, and so forth.

Magicknthenight
May 11th, 2009, 01:57 PM
I've had bangs my whole life. I always liked the way they made me look. But they were kinda annoying so i decided to see if i like them grown out. Since sometimes you wake up and their just everywhere. Also if you have an oily forehead bangs are quick to show. The rest of the hair can look clean while the bangs look oily. Of course you can quickly wash those separately. Another reason i wanted to grow them out was to get rid of the big part between my bangs and hair. Also if you get used to having them down and pull them back it may hurt a little after a while. But overall their pretty easy to take care of and its a nice style :)

Carina
May 11th, 2009, 02:20 PM
I have never heard of any rules for bangs:confused:.I hope you get bangs you like.I have finally let mine grow.

sneakybea
May 11th, 2009, 06:04 PM
I wore bangs and glasses for years---grew them out, and then cut them again. I think it looks fine, though I don't wear them super long, because then they run into the frames and flick out. I had that look throughout the eighties, along with glasses that took up half my face (and were 1/2 inch thick). Stylin', huh?

GlennaGirl
May 11th, 2009, 06:26 PM
I wore bangs and glasses for years---grew them out, and then cut them again. I think it looks fine, though I don't wear them super long, because then they run into the frames and flick out. I had that look throughout the eighties, along with glasses that took up half my face (and were 1/2 inch thick). Stylin', huh?

HA HA, I had THE SAME glasses, from what you describe. It's my twin...separated at birth...(sobbing with emotion)

I had winged hair too.

Honestwitness
May 11th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Now that I'm past menopause (way past), I have these little flat, white, nubby things that have grown on my forehead. My dermatologist says they're nothing to be concerned about and they are caused from overactive fat glands. I've always worn bangs, but now I have a really good reason to wear them. Yes, I'm hiding something.

windinherhair
May 11th, 2009, 08:15 PM
I had bangs as a child and I was so happy to grow them out by the time I was 10 or 11. It made me feel more grown up. Just last year I got bangs again. I think it adds a lot to my face. I just wanted a change, and I am really glad that I did it. I didn't think about any "rules." The lady that used to cut my hair told me that they weren't "in style" at the time, but that didn't stop me. :) (She didn't mean it in a negative way, because she has bangs too.)

HairyCarrie
May 11th, 2009, 08:57 PM
I too have had bangs all my life. I have a widow's peak and no cowlick problem. I have a high forehead, and receding spots at my crown. The bangs help with all that, plus hides the H-shaped wrinkles between my brows.

I curl my bangs for some softness and bend. The displeasure I have is that when it's hot they go flat, which I hate. I keep a curler in the glove box of my car so when I don't think folks in other cars will notice I pop it in for a few minutes to refresh them. It's silly and a pain but it makes them look better. At least that's a rule for me ~~ be sure they always look nice... :smile:

Juneii
May 11th, 2009, 09:51 PM
that's like saying certain people can't have long hair because they don't have the right body shape.

anyone can have bangs. especially right now. every girl and her mom has side swept bangs. I see them on pretty much everyone at my school.

I'm growing mine out, but I think I looked good with bangs. but I look fine without as well :]

Julesn
May 12th, 2009, 09:34 AM
As a hairdresser, I go by this rule: The shorter your forehead is the longer your bangs should be.

Hope that helps!

Julie :)

Periwinkle
May 12th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Take into account your hairtype and natural part and what you're asking your hair to do. If you have curly hair with a strong cowlick and you want a straight-across fringe, you may be in for difficulties.

LutraLutra
May 12th, 2009, 01:18 PM
I am a proud heavy, long, thick, blunt bang/fringe wearer, and the only thing I'd say is if you wear glasses (or sun glasses!) your bangs shouldn't get in the way. I know when mine need cutting as I have to decide if I should tuck my bangs inside my glasses or rest them on the frames. :D

RainDropPixie
May 12th, 2009, 02:29 PM
I have had bangs my whole life, and I started wearing my glasses instead of contacts a year ago. My biggest annoyance is when one strand of hair gets caught in the hinge. It hurts pretty bad, and you have to either break your hair, or pull the strand out of your head. My bangs are also cheek-bone length so the flip up sometimes...which just looks ridiculous, but I'm going back to contacts this week!!

Kiraela
May 12th, 2009, 06:53 PM
I do know that when I was a kid I had bangs - straight across the forehead, etc. typical kid bangs. They never stayed in anything resembling order due to my widows peak. I could see them working with long, sweepy bangs, but shorter ones? never!

And anyway, why would you WANT to hide a widow's peak?

ravenreed
May 13th, 2009, 01:45 AM
I tried bangs as a kid and they looked like commas at my temples due to strong cowlicks. I gave them up for many years until relatively recently when I put in fringe. If it is long enough, it behaves, but straight bangs are forever outside my reach!