PDA

View Full Version : Haircare/Conditioning After A Perm... ?

SimplyViki
May 11th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Nope, I didn't perm my hair. Saturday, as I was browsing the LHC boards, my sister stops by debuting a brand spanking new perm in her previously straight, thick, glossy hair. It definitely adds interest, I suppose. Anyway, I told her I'd snoop around on the internets looking for haircare tips for her newly curly, permed hair, and so this is one of the places I'm looking. She has until tomorrow or maybe the day after before she can wash her hair. I want to recommend mixing honey with her conditioner, cause it worked really well to make my hair soft, but I'm wary of recommending anything cause I'm pretty clueless about how different things might affect a perm. She loves the new curls, so basically if anyone knows of anything that might make the curls fall straight again, let me know so I can be careful of it. Or if anyone who previously had a perm knows of anything that made their hair feel nicer afterwards, that'd be good to know too.
Thanks!

Sherri
May 11th, 2009, 08:34 AM
I have recently had a perm and I use leave-in conditioners (redkin anti-snap and shine detangler V05)
I use anything for damaged hair as far as shampoo (Suave)
I still oil my hair before I wash I use anything from olive oil to jojoba, camilla, africa's best just anyhting I have under the sink lol my hair seem to like them all
Mainly use tressme hair gel for frizz and sometimes giovanni mousse
I seem to use more products on my hair after I permed it.
I hope this helps her and if she would let you post a pic I would love to see it.

SimplyViki
May 11th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Thanks! Her hair is actually just about the same color as yours.
I have a question though - did you do your hairtyping based on your hair before the perm or after?

Sherri
May 11th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Mine is after perm. I guess you could do before but I thought that that would confuse people. One look at my album and I'm sure they would figure it out though. lol

ETA Before it was about 2a I had alot of wavy hair naturally

Shermie Girl
May 11th, 2009, 09:13 PM
When I had permed hair I used Infusium leave in. (The original formula.) It made my hair amazingly soft and silky and didn't relax my curl at all. In fact, consistent use seemed to make my curl last longer than any perm I ever had, before.

SimplyViki
May 12th, 2009, 07:30 AM
When I had permed hair I used Infusium leave in. (The original formula.) It made my hair amazingly soft and silky and didn't relax my curl at all. In fact, consistent use seemed to make my curl last longer than any perm I ever had, before.
Hmm... Interesting. I'll have to watch for that brand to go on sale again at the drugstore.

Kuchen
May 12th, 2009, 07:32 AM
A member here called WholeHeartMom (I think) did an extensive thread on the old board about caring for a perm, if you can find it!

SimplyViki
May 12th, 2009, 07:38 AM
Oh! Thank you, Kuchen! I'll look for it. =) I guess I kind of dismissed the possibility of such a thread existing, thinking that any such thread would likely be on growing out, not caring for, a perm.