PDA

View Full Version : different way of self trimming?

pdy2kn6
May 11th, 2009, 06:59 AM
hey, i have been wanting a trim for ages, as im long overdue, but its hard doing feyes self trim from behind when i have no one to help me, so i was wondering if any one has tried that method of just splitting hair in to two sections in the middle, then pullking it over your shoulders so its below your chin, and then leveling out so even and just cutting it straight across in front of you? if that makes sense? basically pulling half your hair down underneath your chin and then cutting it that way? i have never tried it myself, do you think you would get good results? straight across trim or do you think it would be more curved? would it make sure all hairs are one length? if any one has any pics of this it would be great...

windinherhair
May 11th, 2009, 07:13 AM
I would love a reply on this too! I am just starting to trim my own hair. I was wondering how many use the second step of feyes self trim? I know it says it is optional, but I was also wondering why I couldn't trim it that way in the first place. Just part my hair down the middle and bring each side around to the front for a trim?

pdy2kn6
May 11th, 2009, 07:19 AM
I would love a reply on this too! I am just starting to trim my own hair. I was wondering how many use the second step of feyes self trim? I know it says it is optional, but I was also wondering why I couldn't trim it that way in the first place. Just part my hair down the middle and bring each side around to the front for a trim?

yeah, thats what i was thinking too, looking forward to the responses :)

Anje
May 11th, 2009, 07:59 AM
I've done that, though a longer version of it. (That is, part hair down the back, bring it to the front, usually ponytail it at the chin and slide it down, like the blunt cut trim done in front.) It gives a slightly layered gentle U shape. Tilt your head forward more (pony at your nose?) and you'll get a stronger U.

That's the trimming method I used for the sig pic, so you can see the results, even if the ends are still a little thin there.

Pixna
May 11th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Feye's method is very similar to what you described. Please review her directions (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim) more closely. The whole point is that you do not need anyone to help you from behind. I've been using her method for years (with no help from anyone else at all!) and it works like a charm. She has instructions for various hemlines -- I've tried them all, and they are accurate.

Firefly
May 11th, 2009, 09:46 AM
I've done Feye's method twice now, and I didn't do the second step for either. I think the results turned out fine! You can see a pic of it in my sig, too, though my hair is not sitting quite right in it (I blame the photographer! :p)

As for the method you described, I'd be interested in seeing if that would work, too.

LionessMom
May 11th, 2009, 10:06 AM
i so plan on doing this. from what i read all i have to do is part my hair down the middle then pull both sides forward and trim. i can get a nice u shape. i am so excited.

pdy2kn6
May 11th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Feye's method is very similar to what you described. Please review her directions (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim) more closely. The whole point is that you do not need anyone to help you from behind. I've been using her method for years (with no help from anyone else at all!) and it works like a charm. She has instructions for various hemlines -- I've tried them all, and they are accurate.

i am aware of her method, and have done it before, but am not yet comfortable to do a bigger chop using it, especially because i don't have two mirrors behind and infront of me, so its hard to ensure evenness, thats why i was asking about this one, it seems easier if you only have got one mirror, but then again i dont think i will be doing it as i dont want any layers at all...apparently this way gives slight layers ?:(

marialena
May 11th, 2009, 05:44 PM
hey, i have been wanting a trim for ages, as im long overdue, but its hard doing feyes self trim from behind when i have no one to help me, so i was wondering if any one has tried that method of just splitting hair in to two sections in the middle, then pullking it over your shoulders so its below your chin, and then leveling out so even and just cutting it straight across in front of you? if that makes sense? basically pulling half your hair down underneath your chin and then cutting it that way? i have never tried it myself, do you think you would get good results? straight across trim or do you think it would be more curved? would it make sure all hairs are one length? if any one has any pics of this it would be great...

I have tried this method which and gives you a U shape. But if you want to have perfect trimming results you have to repeat the trimming.
But it works. :)

AmyJorgensen
May 11th, 2009, 05:47 PM
I wish I had tried the self trim by parting and pulling both sections to the front. I did the one back pony and brought it around(step 1 only). When I went to trim the bottom inch or so off, it was too thick in circumference ( because my hair has very little taper) to cut in one snip, so I had to just keep cutting at it and when I was done the bottom of the ponytail looked like a blunt kabuki makeup brush. So I let it loose from the pony and it was straight but still a little uneven in spots. I had to have husband even it up in a couple spots. Next time I will just do step 2 by itself. I blame my own nervousness and incompetence...and thick hair.

windinherhair
May 11th, 2009, 08:04 PM
i so plan on doing this. from what i read all i have to do is part my hair down the middle then pull both sides forward and trim. i can get a nice u shape. i am so excited.

I think I will try this. I was reading the directions for the straight across cut, but I think the "U" shape looks pretty too. I just want to get away from the "V" shape that I have now. I would like a little less cut off at the edges.

Anyone here have bangs that they trim?

I have some pieces of hair on each side of my face. The hair to one side of my face is thicker and more like side bangs, but I keep that little bit of hair at the other side too because I like to have a little hair on each side of my face. I like to keep that hair down when I pull the rest of my hair back.

I am most concerned about attempting to trim my bangs, since they are right *there* around my face. If I would mess up on the length of my hair, I could easily hide that by pulling it up. Any tips for trimming bangs? I have thought if I am not successful then I could always go somewhere to get a bang cut.

misstwist
May 11th, 2009, 08:11 PM
but then again i dont think i will be doing it as i dont want any layers at all...apparently this way gives slight layers ?:(

It gives lots of layers.

Honestwitness
May 11th, 2009, 08:15 PM
I found this video on youtube that goes into great detail about trimming your own hair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUTpkP-4tlk&feature=channel

Check out her web page for links to a whole bunch of videos:

http://www.lookgreat-loseweight-savemoney.com/hair-tube.html

This lady should become a LHC member. She's a licensed cosmetologist and she has long hair.

RavennaNight
May 11th, 2009, 08:31 PM
I used to part my hair down the middle, pull them in front of me, hold them together, and trim, years ago. It always came out even. I don't remember if it yielded a U shape or not. I just remember it was even.

Peter
May 11th, 2009, 08:37 PM
I've done this a few times when my ends are getting tangled. Usually the rough ends are mostly at the back, while the hair on the sides and front is still fine. I divide my hair in half like you described, then just feel for where the rough ends are. I trim very little, probably at most 1/4". I don't worry too much about an uneven hemline since my ends rarely lie flat anyway, so even I can't tell.

yogachic
May 11th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I almost did a trim this way a few days ago. I talked my husband into doing it for me. I would like to do the cut this way, but I dont want a U shape, I prefer it to be straight across.

windinherhair
May 11th, 2009, 09:17 PM
I found this video on youtube that goes into great detail about trimming your own hair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUTpkP-4tlk&feature=channel

Check out her web page for links to a whole bunch of videos:

http://www.lookgreat-loseweight-savemoney.com/hair-tube.html

This lady should become a LHC member. She's a licensed cosmetologist and she has long hair.

I found that video really helpful. Thank you!

JKRBeloved
May 12th, 2009, 10:13 PM
After reading this thread I did the self trim by pulling the two sides of my hair over each shoulder, making a ponytail under my chin, sliding the elastic down close to the edge, and trimmed off about 1" altogether in two separate times (I re-combed and re-divided after the first cut). I'm really happy with it. Got rid of some rough, frizzy fairy-tale ends, and it looks thicker, and doesn't look any shorter. It gave it a very slight U shape.

I have cut my own bangs many different ways over the years. The most consistently good cut is when I pull them together in a mini-pony tail, keeping the ends all in one bunch, and snipping the ends off. I know it sounds weird, but it always works for me.

myotislucifugus
July 17th, 2009, 10:47 AM
I keep meaning to try the self trimming method. I haven't had my hair cut since the 1st week of March, and you can already see an evident V shape. I want it blunt and at least thicker looking. Dang it.

Feye
July 17th, 2009, 01:00 PM

Hello, hoping to be able to clarify here :)

If we are talking about the straight-across trim, then only doing the first step (the ponytail) gives a nice straight-across trim when the hair is worn down the back. Since the ponytail is behind your head and the hair falls straight down the back, what this means is that the strands of hair at the back of the head are slightly shorter than the strands that grow closer to your face. If you comb your hair forward, the hairs around your face will travel further down your body than the hairs growing from the back of the head, due to the straight-across ponytail trim. I hope that I explained that properly, it's difficult without showing it in a video (which I will create later :D)

Doing the second optional step simply removes a little of this unevenness when the hair is worn as the pic below.

http://pics.livejournal.com/challe/pic/0012fwss

If you trim all of your hair combing it like the picture here, what happens is that the hairs close to your face will end up being blunt when viewed from the front. The hair at the back of the head will have to travel a bit further to reach the front. Therefore the hair will be blunt when worn like this, but when combing it down the back, the hairs at the back of the head will be longer and give a slightly V-shaped look.

The U-shape is a combination of both methods.

I hope that I didn't just add to the confusion now. :)

Heidi_234
July 17th, 2009, 01:37 PM
When I had layers, and I needed to make sure I get all the ends trimmed, I just divided the hair into even horizontal sections, made sure all the hairs are more or less the same length and dusted the ends. But my hair is curlier than your, so any mistake probably weren't apparent.
I do think the U shape version of Feye's self trim method (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/1827.html#cutid1) looks alot like what you had in mind. I used it, you don't need to cut more length with it than you want to. And it's not hard at all, try it "on dry" first. Go though the motions without using scissors, you'll see it's very easy to execute.

Silver Strands
July 17th, 2009, 01:41 PM
I love Feye's method of self-trimming.
I found it years before I ever found LHC and have used it ever since.

Thanks Feye!

P.S. I think you should put your directions in your signature so it's easy for
us lazy ones to find it quickly without having to look in our "document" folder or
look for the print-out in the coffee table drawer.

beehives
July 17th, 2009, 02:16 PM
After reading this thread I did the self trim by pulling the two sides of my hair over each shoulder, making a ponytail under my chin, sliding the elastic down close to the edge, and trimmed off about 1" altogether in two separate times (I re-combed and re-divided after the first cut). I'm really happy with it. Got rid of some rough, frizzy fairy-tale ends, and it looks thicker, and doesn't look any shorter. It gave it a very slight U shape.

I just did the same and I'm also very happy with it! I hardly cut 1/4 of an inch, but my ends were really needing it...I hadn't trimmed since December.
I said I wouldn't trim in '09, but I have to say it looks much better, and the length looks no different since the ends were so thin anyway.

Finally, a method that works for me! I don't know what I was thinking by using a mirror and trimming behind my head for all those years. Yikes.

LaurelSpring
July 17th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Thanks for posting this. I am a Feye's method drop out. This one looks more do-able for me.

Elettaria
July 17th, 2009, 05:06 PM
I'd be careful with self-trimming, that's how I ended up with hair that was 1" shorter on one side than it was on the other. Yes, I was doing it carefully.

enfys
July 17th, 2009, 05:30 PM
It sounds like Feye's method a bit to me, but maybe I'm missing something.

I'm pretty sure my hair's thick enough I'd get a kabuki brush too. Even in half I get that feeling.

I don't do anything behind when using Feye's method though. I thought it was all over the shoulders. I've not trimmed in a while so maybe I'm getting mixed up, but I know in 6 years of doing it I've never needed help.

maryann
July 17th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Yes; that's exactly how I usually trim mine. Occasionally I'll have my daughter Viki trim the ends for me.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g314/vharrod/354.jpg

Regards,
MaryAnn

fireopal
July 19th, 2009, 03:06 PM
i have done this for several years now. i tip my chin down though and cut both sides even in front. i get a deep u shape from this.

GoddesJourney
July 20th, 2009, 09:50 AM

That's exactly how I V-cut my hair. I divide it in half, look a little bit down so that I can cut it parallel with the floor and it will be a V cut when I look straight ahead again. I start with the part closest to my neck so the length cut is controlled. I also make a tiny cut on the front part. Then I just cut a straight line between those two from back to front. When I go to do the other side, I have to line up the to cuts on the new side with what I cut on the old side. At the end, I hold my head straight and pull those ends together to make sure they're the same lenght. Never fails.