PDA

View Full Version : growing out curly hair from 1/4"

gnome
May 11th, 2009, 02:06 AM
hello all!
i am new to the longhair forums. i'm really excited about the amount of knowledge and resources gathered on here!

as a child i had very long hair, which was constantly commented upon. my terminal length was much longer than other little girls', and my mom insisted that i keep it long (tailbone length).

when i hit 12, she finally let me cut it to BS length. then, at 15, i cut it to about 1 inch. two years later i buzzed it all off, before keeping it "boy cut" for a few more years.
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1754/217/102/9219379/n9219379_36888252_9377.jpg
^trimmed to waist length before the first real cut.

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1754/217/102/9219379/n9219379_36889829_2837.jpg
^before the big chop

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1754/217/102/9219379/n9219379_36889811_6895.jpg
^the basic haircut i kept for 5 years

i always toyed with the idea of growing it long again, but was afraid of the awkward grow-out time. however, last summer i toughed it out and started growing it out again! yay!
i think that i have 3b/3c f/m iii hair?
it is now fully shoulder length
http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/spiritxlake/MyPicture-7-4.jpg

my current regimen is:
scrub scalp and roots once or twice a week with baking soda paste. rinse with diluted white vinegar (about 1 tbsp per cup), finger comb and then cold water rinse.

i am very lucky in that
- it grows at quite a decent rate!
- it's fairly healthy now, no split ends

so here are the areas in which i'm needing help:
- i have some mild breakage, but not bad
- it is quite curly and tends to frizz? not really bad now that i'm doing the baking soda / vinegar on it, and it doesn't frizz really at all if i let it dry at night or wrapped.
- it tends to be quite dry and dull. i know this is partially due to the curl, but there's got to be something i can do about it.
- it's a medium dark brown, and i've always wanted fiery copper red hair.
- i have celiac's disease and adrenal problems, so i absorb very little nutrition. while my hair still grows quite quickly (about 3/4" per month) that's much slower than it grew while i was healthier. i also tended to shed quite a bit when i was very ill, but that's gotten less. usually now it is quick growing / low shedding unless i get exposed to gluten, which makes it (along with my fingernails!) completely stop growing and start shedding like crazy.
- i also have very dry skin and had a very dry / flaky scalp before baking soda / vinegar

what i'd like to work on:
- growing out very full, thick, soft, HEALTHY hair
(i.e. not dry, broken or frizzy)
- controlling the frizz on a daily basis
- lightening and eventually hennaing my hair
- getting manageable, consistent curl and SHINE! i would so love to have shiny hair!

right now i have a honey/distilled water/cinnamon/cardamum/olive oil treatment on my hair under a "process cap" (handily found in the "ethnic hair care" section of the grocery, like everything else that works for me!)
if that works, i'm going to lighten my hair as much as i can, then maybe start cassia treatments, and then maybe do treatments of primarily cassia with some henna in it, to get a bright red colour. i really don't want a burgundy / cherry colour :( any thoughts on this are super appreciated!

i'm going to start trying fenugreek treatments for shine?

any and all advice / suggestions are SUPER welcome!

kdaniels8811
May 11th, 2009, 03:45 AM
Your hair is beautiful! I love the curls. Henna will certainly help with shine and give you a beautiful red shine. More later, off to work!

Niphredil
May 11th, 2009, 03:55 AM
Your hair is beautiful !

Have you looked into the curly girl (lorraine massey - sp?) type of care?
You basically hydrate your curls daily or every other day with conditioner to get better curl formation and less frizz. It even works on my wavy hair to get it to spiral!
You can find lots of info @ naturallycurly.com

But that said, it already looks beautiful !

3azza
May 11th, 2009, 04:54 AM
Hi gnome, ur hair is somewhat similar to mine i can tell from the photos.
well it seems you know pretty much what you want to do with it and how to treat it.
For the colour, if you manage to lighten it with the honey thing then get it hannead you'd probably get close to your goal.
For the frizz, leave in conditioners work for me, you should experiment with that, i tried oiling and did not suit me, maybe it works for you i dont know.
For thickness, henna, oils, and good food help.
good luck...

Chrissy
May 11th, 2009, 04:58 AM
I don't have curly hair so no advice from me but..........your hair is so pretty. I love it long but it is still cute short. I'm glad you are growing it out again. There are lots of curlies here who I'm sure will have some great tips for you. WELCOME to the best long hair site on the web. Glad you're here.

Copasetic
May 11th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Your hair is amazing!! Lucky you, you have amazing curls.

If frizz is a problem, you might want to try aloe vera gel. I use it any time my hair is looking a bit frizzy. It works like a traditional gel, except that its all natural and nourishing and won't dry out your hair.

JamieLeigh
May 11th, 2009, 09:54 AM
I'm sorry I can't offer much advice, since we have pretty different hairtypes, so I'm not sure what works for me would work for you. But I would like to say welcome to LHC! :flower: This is the best place in the world for hair advice, and never be afraid to ask if you want to know something. There are no stupid questions here. :)

Those curls are amazing!!

gnome
May 11th, 2009, 10:59 AM
thank you all!

i think the frizz might be a layer of damage, because it's canopy only and i wear my hair down 24/7.

i am usually really product-shy because i don't want crispy crunchy curls! but i'll look into the aloe vera thing, my skin LOVES aloe (i use it as a nighttime moisturizer), so my hair would probably be happy with it as well! it is so healing and moisturizing, it would probably help (as, i'm thinking, would henna). i have never tried leave-in conditioners, but maybe aloe vera and a few drops jojoba oil or something mixed with a little water?

KajiKodomo
May 11th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Your hair is beautiful! :D