PDA

View Full Version : One Year's Growth! *With Pics*

Addy
May 10th, 2009, 08:42 PM
So, I am excited! I have just completed one year's worth of growth since getting all my layers chopped off to about shoulder length! It has been a long year, let me tell ya but the progress has been magnificent in my humble opinion! :D

My long hair journey started in March of 07 with a goal of growing my hair super long. :) I was on my way but then made the mistake of trusting a stylist to trim up my layers because I liked them at the time. BIG MISTAKE! I asked her to leave my length and OMG! She cut my BSL hair clean up to my shoulders and my shortest layer was at ear length!:disgust::rant:

Needless to say, she left me with a mushroom head if I didn't straighten my hair. I had to do something and I decided to take the plunge and cut to shoulder length just so I could save my hair and avoid heat from then on out!

Here is the pic, 8 months after growing out the hideous cut that was given in August 07'. UGH! I am so glad I survived that stage! This pic is straightened with a flat iron.
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/1475/may08.jpg (http://img27.imageshack.us/my.php?image=may08.jpg)

Here is a pic of the very short layers! Not to mention how uneven they were too! GRRR!
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/8686/picture322q.jpg (http://img27.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture322q.jpg)

This pic was taken soon after getting it cut to my shoulders. I hated to lose that length but it was the best thing I did for my hair! It kept me from the heat tools too so it was warrented! There are a few layers left in there that wre popping up.
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/9111/july17th08.jpg (http://img27.imageshack.us/my.php?image=july17th08.jpg)

And today, a year later, with no more layers and a 2" trim loss...
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/7965/51109upclose.jpg (http://img27.imageshack.us/my.php?image=51109upclose.jpg)

I am now satisfied and soooooo close to BSL and beyond! Just an inch away! I usually trim in May but my hair is so healthy right now, I am just going to keep growing and forgo my trim. I don't even have to S&D and I haven't colored in almost a year since August 08'! I am a proud member of the Renegrays!

Life has also been hell for the last month or so. I lost my job and ds was mauled by an unvaccinated dog. :mad: Life could be better but I do have longer hair so it's not all that bad! My daddy always says "If you think you have it bad, just look at someone else. It could always be worse!" I believe that and I hope all of you are doing well!

Hope you enjoy the pics because I'm enjoying the hair! I will be doing another hair update on my one year anniversary in September so stay tuned!

feralnature
May 10th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Wow Addy! Great growth and your hair is so nice and thick! It tempts me to do a big chop and even up my layers too...our hair seems very much alike. But I am already spoiled to this length and I am afraid I might cry :)

kam984420
May 10th, 2009, 09:40 PM
You've had some awesome growth! Congrats!

dolcevita
May 10th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Congratulations!! That must have been painful to correct the "hairdresser's" mistake, but it was definitely worth it in the end!! I wish many more years of happy growing to you!

Fillette
May 10th, 2009, 09:51 PM
That is some amazing progress. Your hair looks great!

spidermom
May 10th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Your hair is looking terrific; I hope you keep growing.

going gray
May 10th, 2009, 10:36 PM
You do have great looking hair, with a lot of growth. Enjoy it!

GlennaGirl
May 10th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Wow! Very very pretty!

Ndnlady
May 10th, 2009, 11:06 PM
You have had good growth for a year! Especially growing out layers! Very pretty!:)

DecafJane
May 11th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Congratulations on getting through that horror stage! It must have been a nightmare to get that horrible cut from BSL, but you are getting back there really well. :)

annie09
May 11th, 2009, 02:08 AM
Great hair and progress. :)

LILBERT
May 11th, 2009, 02:25 AM
congratulations! :joy:
Your hair looks awsome, amazing growth! and can i just say ou are SO brave to go for the chop like that rather than the straightening option.
congratulations again!

Iylivarae
May 11th, 2009, 03:00 AM
Oh, that is some nice growth, and beautiful, thick hair! I love the colour!

rach
May 11th, 2009, 03:06 AM
well done :D

Niphredil
May 11th, 2009, 03:15 AM
Wow! That is some great growth!

Part of me is thinking along the same line - cut off layers to shoulders - but
another part of me is actually liking the layers, especially if I wear it curly.
You were brave, actually doing that :)

DavidN
May 11th, 2009, 03:26 AM
Congratulations, Addy, on your 1 year grorth photos, and what wonderful progress you have made! Your hair is so thick and healthy, and you are blessed with the most beautiful waves. Keep up the good work!

Of course, I am genuinely sorry to hear what you have gone through, and I will send along thoughts and prayers that you be blessed with brighter days in the future.

Teazel
May 11th, 2009, 03:35 AM
Congratulations, Addy! You've got through the hard part, and I look forward to seeing your lovely hair at longer lengths. :)

kdaniels8811
May 11th, 2009, 03:38 AM
Nice hair! and happy growing. It is shiny and very healthy looking. Note to self - stay away from hairdressers!! Feye's self trim method is great.

Chrissy
May 11th, 2009, 04:40 AM
I love progress pictures. You made a hard decision that paid off. Your hair looks so healthy and pretty. How is your son doing? I hope he is healing. That must have been awful. Thanks for sharing with us.

Garnet66
May 11th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Congrats on such great growing!

paper
May 11th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Wow Addy, you have come a long way! All of your hard work has paid off, your hair is so pretty. And, it's getting so long! I look forward to seeing more of your progress pictures.

Go Renegrays! :toast:

Addy
May 11th, 2009, 06:40 AM
First off, a BIG thank you to everyone here! :cool: You guys and gals have been so helpful to me for the last several months!

My hair, was so dry from the heat damage and chemical dyes and then I found EVOO! When I was a littel girl, my hair was poker straight, even up until the stylist gave me the most horrid cut in the world and all of a sudden, it got wavy. It was weird, she must have used curly scissors on me. haha!

My big chop didn't make me cry near as much as what that hair stylist did only because I had been thinking about it for a couple months before. I know if I did it again, I would cry!

It has been a long year but I am finally on my way to long hair again. My goals are to continue to grow, grow, grow to the floor and eventually snip my colored hair off to make way for my virgin hair. I loved the color but it was so drying.

I am happy and this site, with all the wonderful long hairs, have made it so much easier. I think the best piece of advice I could give to short hairs is just ignore it and it will grow!

David,
Thank you for the well wishes for my son. His bite is very infected at the moment and we spent two nights at the ER and now have to go to the doctors this morning for some testing because ds has had MRSA before.:( I have tons of calls to make sure the dog get's put down because ds is the 3rd unfortunate person this dog has bitten. I am not happy about it at all.

I hope to be close to waist by Christmas! It would be the best Christmas present ever! :cheese:

Pixna
May 11th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Hang in there, Addy!! I'm so sorry about your DS.

You've made great progress, despite that awful setback. Your hair looks fantastic -- I'm hoping you make it to waist by Christmas, too! :D

KajiKodomo
May 11th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Congrats on the growth! Your hair is beautiful! :D

JamieLeigh
May 11th, 2009, 09:49 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your son. Hopefully all will turn out well in that situation. Infections are so dangerous nowadays, with all the mutating organisms that drugs don't get rid of properly. :grouphug: Keep us posted!

Congrats, though, on your healthy-looking length and progress, hair-wise! It looks fabulous, and I can't wait to see you at longer lengths! :flower:

Is that a tattoo I spy on your arm? Whatcha got?? :D

lapushka
May 11th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Congratulations. It looks great!

Firefly
May 11th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Oh my gosh, that's terrible about your DS! I hope he has a speedy recovery.

VERY nice progress you have there! You were so brave to chop. I think I would have been better off if I'd done the same, but I was too chicken. :o

Dreamernz
May 11th, 2009, 10:20 AM
congrats! :D

Addy
May 11th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Is that a tattoo I spy on your arm? Whatcha got?? :D

Which arm? :D

I have stars on my left inner bicep starting about my pit down to my elbow and my medic alert on my rt inner fore arm and flowers on my upper right arm. I want more but I gotta wait til DH kicks the bucket! haha! He hates tattoo'ed women but I make him live me! :D

Thank you all for the lovely compliments! I can't wait to get my hair to atleast waist! This August will be two years since the dreadful cut and it has been a looooong two years!

Here's to more growth for all of us! :beercheer:

smilinjenn71
May 18th, 2009, 06:52 PM
YAY!! I found your thread!:cheese:

Your growth has been awesome! I'm so sorry to hear of the bite and job loss though.:( I will read your responses to those issues soon. Right now I can't hardly keep my eyes open.:p

Ryanne
May 18th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Congrats, it looks very healthy and shiny.

Sasha_S
May 19th, 2009, 04:56 AM
Wow, your hair looks so beautiful and glossy :) Only an inch from BSL, you must be so excited!
x

tiny_teesha
May 19th, 2009, 05:41 AM
excellent progress! Your hair is really starting to look long! I don't think people should trim unless they HAVE to! :) You don't , so don't! :)
Keep up the good work!

ladylibra
May 19th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Thanks for sharing! I currently have layers, the shortest is APL and the longest is MBL... I am trying to make myself wait until this year is over before I cut because I would that shortest layer to be BSL first. :o

ladylibra
May 19th, 2009, 05:46 AM
^^^Sorry can't edit posts yet, meant to say "...because I would like that shortest layer to be BSL first."

Addy
May 19th, 2009, 06:17 AM
I am so excited to have my BSL hair back! It has been almost 2 long years! This one inch off is taking forever though! Patience is key. No doubt!

I did end up trimming a tad bit off my front. It seemed a little long so yesterday I carefully trimmed it, like maybe 1/4". Woke up this moring and ran my fingers right through bed head so it's all good. Didn't touch the back though. I won't be trimming again til the fall. I want to gain MAXIMUM growth over the summer in time for my one year anniversary here at LHC in September!!! :cheese:

Thank you all for the compliments! I'm taking ds back to the doc's today for a check up! Let's hope he continues to heal and I love my new job! :D

LutraLutra
May 19th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Layers! Aaagggrrhh! That's great progress and no more musshroom head. :D

Addy
May 19th, 2009, 06:33 AM
I hate mushrooms! :D

Maelyssa
May 19th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Very very nice growth...SUCH a big improvement from the short layers.
You're so close to BSL! Good for you. Congrats on laying off the heat stylers. You go girl!

redneckprincess
May 19th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Thats awesome I just got through 1 yr BUT I did a dandy little trimming job in Feb (4" ? to cut off layers) so sadly I dont really have accurate pics for my 1 yr. (i dont know how to post them here so you can look at my albums {first attempt and second attempt) but yours looks good!!!

dragonfrog
May 19th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Wow, your hair grows really fast! It looks super thick and very healthy, congratulations!

smilinjenn71
May 19th, 2009, 05:27 PM
I'm so glad your son is continuing to heal and that your new job is enjoyable!!