PDA

View Full Version : What causes this?

SheWolf
May 10th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I was doing a search and destroy. Noticed a few split ends that my hairstylist missed, snipped those off.
But what I also noticed puzzled me: A pattern of many, MANY broken ends, the thing is they all broke exactly one inch from the ends.
What could have caused this to happen?
They're probably not new, it's just that I never did a S&D before so I probably never noticed.
Last year, I flat ironed a few times, but I stopped after 5 or six times, it made my hair too flat.
Could this have done it?

Flynn
May 10th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Do you wear a braid/"caterpillar" ponytail? If so, Might the last elastic have done it?

jojo
May 10th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Maybe the hairdressers scissors were blunt? or maybe you needed a teeny bit more of a trim?

I wouldn't worry too much about it, after I have dusted my hair I still find splits, you can never get them all in some hair; mine included.

SheWolf
May 10th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Flynn, I don't wear braids, too many layers, plus I suck at it.
Jojo, I think yes and yes:
She knows I'm trying to go waist length so she's very conservative with the scissors.
If I just leave it alone to let it grow, will it get worse?
Or can I just let it be and fix it in a few months?

velvetcat
May 10th, 2009, 07:02 PM
when I've seen that in the past it was because the hair was over processed. Have you done any chemical treatments on it?

SheWolf
May 10th, 2009, 07:07 PM
when I've seen that in the past it was because the hair was over processed. Have you done any chemical treatments on it?

My hair is chemically colored, in salon, but now she only touches up the roots. I recently had build up, which dried it out, so I clarified and switched to a new haircare regimen. Sulfate free shampoo every 3-4 days, CO washing in between, leave in on damp hair, coconut oil on dry hair.
Overall it is a lot softer and silkier, I just noticed the breakage today.

spidermom
May 10th, 2009, 08:56 PM
It takes awhile to grow out past damage. I've cut at least a foot off my length since 2005 from old heat-styling damage and rough handling.

kdaniels8811
May 11th, 2009, 03:41 AM
I suggest catnip tea soaks to help with the damage that is there and prevent further damage. Just plain pet store variety dried catnip, a teaspoon steeped in hot water like you are making tea, let it cool and apply to damp unconditioned hair (conditioner prevents it from penetrating). Put the length in a baggie or saran wrap or something to keep it damp for a half hour. Twice a week with this and my splits are gone and I have not trimmed in almost a year. Ktani has a great article on catnip tea soaks. Good luck!

Anje
May 11th, 2009, 08:02 AM
I get breaks a little way up from the ends. For me, the culprits are tying braids off (especially if I'm sloppy and end up kinking a few hairs), and simple tangles. The tangles quickly form little knots if I'm not careful about it, and these get kinked and eventually split.

I'd imagine that securing buns with an elastic holding the ends in place could also cause something like this.

SimplyViki
May 11th, 2009, 09:23 AM
I get those, too... I think for me it's from a combination of old highlights having weakened my hair, and impatient detangling. I try to be gentle, I really do, but it just seems that once I think I've gotten all the knots out and I start to comb from top down, there's a handful of baby knots that I missed, and I hear them snapping from time to time. I wince every time.

teela1978
May 11th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Could it just be the remnants of some old layers? Maybe I don't understand what you're seeing.