PDA

View Full Version : Your hair-story

ilovelonghair
May 10th, 2009, 01:59 PM
That is: hair + history = hair-story :D

I'm curious:

-what type of hair were you born with?
-how did that change during your childhood (color, structure etc.)?
-did it change in your teens?
-did it change later in life?

Don't count hair dye, perms etc. just your natural hair type.

For me:
-I was born with straight black hair (my mother was proud to have a newborn with hair, instead of a bald baby)
-that quickly changed: it all fell out at 3 months and I stayed bald for a long time! My mother was very dissapointed by that... I find it a very strange thing to happen, but I heard it happens to some people. And the bizarre change of color when it did come back.
-By the age of 2 I finally had some hair but it was very light blonde and straight.
-My hair started darkening up around age 10 I think and in my teens it became dark blonde (kind of tawny). It was still very straight.
-Only when I was an adult did my hair texture change a lot: instead of pin straight and very slippery it became wavy and more rough in texture.
-Lately I got more waves and curls

viking_quest
May 10th, 2009, 02:11 PM
I was born bald and then my hair grew into a mohawk. My hair was blonde until I started school and it became light brown and it was really thin and fine and straight. My hair became darker until my current colour medium brown. Somewhere in one my short haircuts my hair became thicker and wavy. So basically:
Bald
Blonde, fine, thin, straight
Light brown, fine, thin, straight
Medium brown, fine, and too short to tell
Medium brown, fine, thick, wavy.

SheWolf
May 10th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Born with jet black stick straight hair.
By age 3, it was dark brown with big, loopy curls, TBL.
It was a pain to untangle so my mom cut it super short, and it grew back stick straight again.
Getting older, it got wavy.
It now looks like it's getting ready to get curly again, the hair at my hairline can no longer be described as wavy, it is curly bordering on frizzy. I assume the rest will follow eventually.

wintersun99
May 10th, 2009, 02:23 PM
How in the world do you all even remember? I guess I never paid any attention. In general:

was born with lots of hair, dark brown/light black
by 3 years, it had turned dark blond/light brown
by junior high/high school it turned medium brown
*after that, who knows? spend the many years coloring it*
now, it is growing out light brown, with gray

*from what I can remember and what I've been told by stylists, it has always been very thick (a lot of it) I suppose slight to no wave. Um.. geez.. that's all I know.

AJoifulNoise
May 10th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Starting here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=929) in my blog I show, over several entries, my hair from when I was a tiny thing up to near-present.

But, to answer your questions:

What type of hair were you born with? Very fine, golden brown hair.
How did that change during your childhood (color, structure etc.)? During my childhood it went from a mass of very fine, golden brown waves and curls to dark brown and fairly straight.
Did it change in your teens? Not that I know of, but I kept it short and used the blow dryer on it.
Did it change later in life? I don't consider myself "later in life", but right now it is reddish-brown and very slightly wavy.

AJoifulNoise
May 10th, 2009, 02:24 PM
How in the world do you all even remember? I guess I never paid any attention.

I don't remember, but I have lots of pictures of me growing up. That's how I can answer.

viking_quest
May 10th, 2009, 02:32 PM
I don't remember, but I have lots of pictures of me growing up. That's how I can answer.

Same here. I have pictures showing what my hair looked like from birth on.

enfys
May 10th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Born with: thick jet black curls
Became: soft, mid brown, average thickness and straight
Teens: straight, normal, rather uneventful hair
Post teens: yeah both years...same as teens but wavier (could well be down to length and layers)

How I wish my baby bonce had stuck with it's black curls.

Roseate
May 10th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Fun thread! I was born with lots of fine white hair, and my hair stayed very fine but quite thick, straight and pale for about 6 years.

From 6-7 I grew my hair out from the chin-length cut I had always had to about APL; it was still very fine, always tangled and I hated washing or combing it, so I was happy to get it all cut off in a very short, Dorothy-Hamill style cut the next year. It grew back in much thicker and coarser, darker color, and less tangly.

It continued to darken and get wavier, landing at it's current dark blonde by the time I was 16 or so. The wurls have gotten even wurlier over the past couple years.

I never had long hair until my early 20's, when I decided to give it a try just to see what it was like. I liked it, so here I am! I've cut back to chin or shorter a couple times since that first grow-out, never been past hip. Maybe this time? We'll see.

Fractalsofhair
May 10th, 2009, 02:56 PM
I had bright bright bright red hair as a baby. Then it all fell out and grew back white. Gradually the white darkened to a medium/light blonde, and I decided to use Paul Mitchell on it when I was 10. As a result, my hair became very damaged(I had only used castile soap on it as a child.), and I had to get it cut from my waist to I think my shoulders or chin. I started getting highlights on the damaged hair a few years later. Then I let that all grow out and started using more natural products(still with cones and such.). It helped with the damage and got rid of some of the sores on my scalp. Then I decided at my aunt's insistance to start heat styling it regularlly, and when I saw family. Then because I listened to friends and family, I tried dying my hair golden blonde from the silvery blonde it is, and wreaked it more. I've gone cone free and it shows the damage, but the new growth is pretty and healthy. Long story short, I shouldn't listen to family about my hair! My hair has always been a lot of very fine hair that gets damaged easily.

fishwich
May 10th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Born bald as a coot and quickly started work on the most seriously epic white-blonde cowlick you've ever seen. Mum called me Woodstock. :D There are definitely pictures of this.

It was very light and really wavy when I was little but it straightened and darkened as my head grew. Went from platinum to ash and from tously waves to just enough wave not to be completely straight. It's always been fairly thick and fine hair, and is still that way. No change there.

helen2806
May 10th, 2009, 02:58 PM
- born with thick, straight black hair which only lasted a couple of months
- then I had strawberry blonde gingery curls until I was about 18 months old
- after that was white blonde, wavy and thick hair that would never stay neat so always looked scruffy!
- it has gradually got darker as I've got older, but settled on this medium blonde when I was 14 or so, and the texture has pretty much stayed the same since I was little

It's quite weird looking at old photos of me and seeing naturally black, ginger and blonde hair all before the age of 2!

Juneii
May 10th, 2009, 02:58 PM
I was born with thick dark hair
so far it has stayed stick straight and didn't change at all despite all the swimming, sun burning. but the layers made it bend all weirdly..

Unnamed
May 10th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Hmm, this might be the easiest way since mine has changed colours a ton of times (both lighter and darker):

Baby: Brown with curls on ends, which quickly turned blonde (also with curls on ends).
Toddler: Ends were cut by age 2, light ashy blonde.
4-5: Medium ashy blonde.
6-7: Dark ashy blonde.
8-10: Very, very dark brown/black.
10-11: Medium reddish brown/Dark auburn.
12: Medium ashy brown.
13: Light ashy brown.
14: Dark ashy blonde, lighter temple hairs.
Present: Same as at 14, but plus light streak at nape (not sure when it appeared, other than at age 22 or earlier).

Oh, and hair has been pin straight since the curls at the very ends got cut off way back.

Longlocks3
May 10th, 2009, 03:41 PM

I was born with extremely jet black long hair(seriously, it was enough to braid in the hospital)

It lightened up to a brownish color, very thick during childhood

thinned out in my teens, lightened up but still brown

Hopefully it'll stay brown! Maybe thicken up a little?

neon-dream
May 10th, 2009, 04:08 PM
- I was born with very vibrant red, fly away hair.

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo190/neon-dream/menmellsmall.jpg
(I'm on the right)

- It went crazy in my childhood, haha! Lightened a bit since birth to a more orangey colour and was really wavy.

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo190/neon-dream/l_73348dbb9851db7234a881e3a7d6b5d0.jpg
(I'm on the left)

- I am in my teens now and I am in love with my colour, and it is more wavy instead of fluffy. It's still not very controllable though!

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo190/neon-dream/LHC%20and%20Hair/CIMG1816.jpg
Like this :)

It's always been thick, too.

Aisha25
May 10th, 2009, 04:17 PM
I was born with curly black hair stayed that way until I was 7 then it went wavy with some spirals like now. So its still the same as when I was born,only waaay thicker and longer :lol:

paper
May 10th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I was born with lots of straight dark brown hair. My hair is now dark brown with white and it's wavy.

wintersun99
May 10th, 2009, 04:32 PM

Aha! all of those pictures (in my case) are still with my parents. Haven't looked at them in years! :p

CrystalStar
May 10th, 2009, 04:36 PM
I was born with longstraight black hair :) My friends still don't believe me on that I don't think :p I moved on to have medium brown, long hair, however I soon cut it short as it was so thick it tangled all the time. When it was cut shorter it grew in dark brown. As I grew it longe rit progressively got lighter, until I bleached the heck out of it for a good 5 years :p

Thanks to LHC my hair is now red, BSL and alot better taken care of :D

Paliele
May 10th, 2009, 04:53 PM
I was born with dark, almost black hair.
When I was little I was very blonde.
Growing up, my hair very gradually got darker, until...
Now my hair is medium brown (under the henna), but I hope it gets even darker.

Jules diamond
May 10th, 2009, 04:55 PM
I was born with straight dark brown hair
When I was about three it got curly
At five it was starting to get wavy
By seven it was straight
Then when I turned eleven it got wavy again as it currently is.
And recently it's gotten darker, almost black, even though it's always been pretty dark.

Selene Argenta
May 10th, 2009, 04:56 PM
I was born with dark brown hair and it has been the same since. It's always been straight and dark brown and quite fine. I had it long until I was about 6 and my mother decided to cut it (I was gutted and is why I never let her near it to cut it again!), it was chin length for a long time until I was about 11 when I went all tom boy and cut it very short. I let it grow out from 13 on and have kept it long since, texture has remained fine and silky probably because I've never dyed it! It is still very straight.

Magicknthenight
May 10th, 2009, 05:11 PM
-what type of hair were you born with? Light brown with baby curls at the ends. Texture was pretty fine.

-how did that change during your childhood (color, structure etc.)?As a kid my hair...got dark brown and was pretty straight.

-did it change in your teens?As i became a teenager it got a lot wavier and a bit lighter. As well as getting many different hair colors and textures (or maybe thats when i noticed the different textures). Lighter in and from the sun as well. In light it looks like theirs a bunch of different colors moving around. Though its hard to get with my lame camera ;_;

-did it change later in life? We shall see!

Forever_Sophie
May 10th, 2009, 05:33 PM
~ I was born with very thick, black hair.
~ Curly as a toddler
~ Wavy as a child, into my teens
~ stick straight in university (18 +)
~ curly again post chemo
~ now wavier

(color never really changed)

Themyst
May 10th, 2009, 07:41 PM
-Born with white blond hair with ringlets
-It turned light, golden brown as an older child, lost the ringlets.
-It stayed fine textured all my life.
-During first pregnancy, it got incredibly thick but the color also darkened.
-Now, it's back to fine textured but I have a lot of hair so it can still look like it has a little volume.

Darkhorse1
May 10th, 2009, 08:15 PM
born with black hair
black hair fell out and came in strawberry blond
was originally straight, but by teens, had natural wave. Gradually darkened and was dark by 10, though natural red tones came out in the summer
More wave/curl as I've aged. Will flatten out after being slept on.

shadowclaw
May 10th, 2009, 08:19 PM
- I was born with a bit of medium blonde hair that kind of came to a point of the top of my head
- When my hair grew in, it was was thin, fine, and very light blonde. Not very golden, but not really white, either. It stayed that way until I started going to school, then it darkened a little, and perhaps became a bit ashen. It also got a little thicker, but remained thin in general. It stayed that way until I was a teen.
- As a teenager, my hair became more golden. Not really coppery or anything, but it just seemed to have more color to it than I had in my childhood. I would describe it as a medium blonde. In the later part of my teen, my roots started darkening, and the sun would lighten my hair over the summer. So my hair had a natural gradient to it, from dark blonde roots to light blonde ends.
- Now that I'm in my 20s, the sun is not doing as much lighening as it used to. I think it's because I don't spend as much time in the sun these days. The first 12 inches or so of hair is pretty dark and lacks the gradient that used to be present. The remainder of the length is much like it was in high school.

windinherhair
May 10th, 2009, 08:26 PM
I was born with a head full of black hair and all curls (My mom was happy too! :)).

My hair turned out to be naturally straight and dark brown as I got older. My mom kept my hair cut short as a child.

Going into my teens I started to grow my hair long. Then I cut it above my shoulders at 14. Then I started the growth process all over again.

Besides experimenting with color, my hair hasn't gone through any other changes. I did cut bangs last year, and I hadn't had bangs since I was a child.

sarawr
May 10th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Well, unlike you I was born a baldy bean And my wicked older siblings (both seven and five at the time) both fondly like to remind me I looked like a martian.
My hair grew in blond (my mum had blond hair as a kid, and my dad had blond hair until it started to gray when he was in his twenties!). I kept it mid-back length, until second grade. My sister cut it all off and I was left with a lovely ear-length bob. XD
I had medium/average length hair until about a year or so ago when I just stopped going for haircuts regularly. Now I have almost tramp-stamp length hair.

ilovelonghair
May 10th, 2009, 10:54 PM
It's so much fun to read these stories! I once read that your genetical hair type is the one you're born with, NOT :)

Gothic Lolita
May 11th, 2009, 02:14 AM
I was born with aleady long black hair that was pretty thick.
Then, with maybe 2 years it got bleached to blonde in Italy and became more brownish the following years. It also was thinner then but the thickness came bak again.
Now, the older I get the more coppery my tone becomes and is currently giving me plus the light and infrequent henna glossings a nice color.

gnome
May 11th, 2009, 02:19 AM
- born with a full head of straight black hair.
- it quickly fell out and was just as quickly replaced with light brown curls
- grew into strawberry blonde "shirley temple" ringlets
- quickly grew really long and wavy-ringlet chestnut blonde
- medium chestnut brown with really defined natural highlights
- turned mousy when i started cutting it, almost greyish (not out in the sun as much?)

Nera
May 11th, 2009, 02:33 AM
I was born with dark blonde, relatively long straight hair.
Then, when I was about 2 I started growing super thick, darkbrown to black straight hair.
When I was about 11, my hair started to get frizzy and coarse on some places, I didn't know what to do with it at all, and I hated it. I tried to brush it straight, and kept it in braids, and thad made it even more frizzy.
Now I know the right ways to treat my super thick and coarse hair, and that is why it has changed into wavy hairlocks.
The locks underneath have turned black, because they're not exposed to sunlight. Some locks are blonde, and some are darkbrown.

So that's what happened;)

noelgirl
May 11th, 2009, 05:23 AM
I was born with thick, curly dark brown hair, and had it short for a few years until I was about 4. Then, when I started to grow it longer, it went straight with only a slight wave. It stayed like this until I was about middle school age, at which point it got very curly. It was crazy curly all through high school, then settled into waves in college and has stayed that way since.

Monsterkitti
May 11th, 2009, 06:02 AM
I was born with lots of stick straight black hair that stuck straight up, I had a mini hawk for months :)

The it turned light brown and got very thick and wavy/curly. It got progressivly darker till maybe high school when it got to its current dark brown.

Unfortunatly I dont think its as thick as it was when I was little but will have to see once the layers have finally gone :)

SimplyViki
May 11th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Well, I was born pretty much bald! My mom pierced my ears and dressed me all in pink so people would quit thinking I was a boy.
When I actually grew hair, it was light, golden blonde (but not platinum) and straight.
In my teens, it got "body"... enough wave that my mom decided it would look good with feathered layers (upon getting the cut, I didn't agree, but that's another story). It also darkened to about the color I have now (but only look at the top of my hair down to my shoulders - from shoulders below, it's from an old dye job).
Well, I changed it a lot from 17-19. I chopped it off, deciding that my waist-length hair was "his" hair when I broke up with my first boyfriend, and wanted nothing to do with it. I dyed my chopped, just below chin-length hair burgundy, and hacked at it myself a few times to give it "personality" (well, it looked cute and messy in two braided pigtails, but just messy just about every other way I'd try and put it). At 20, I decided to quit messing with my hair and let it grow again - but not without a last-ditch trip to the salon to get it closer to my natural color (costing me $300.... never again). And now here I am. To be continued!

JamieLeigh
May 11th, 2009, 09:37 AM
My hair has definitely changed over the course of my lifetime (28 years). My apologies if this is a bit more comprehensive and time consuming to read. :o

-I had very straight, thick hair when I was born - my mom has a photo of me where the nurses teased my hair up into a mohawk. I wish she would destroy the evidence. :eek:
-I had very straight, thick hair for most of my childhood, and wore it long, with a straight fringe (thanks mom :rolleyes:).
-I was about 9 when mom gave me the Ogilvie (sp?) home perm, and instead of soft waves, I ended up looking like a French poodle. Within four weeks, I had massive tangles that we couldn't pick out with the long-handled "afro" comb, so I had to have it cut to shoulder length.
-After that, my mom just decided to leave my hair alone, thankfully, and let it grow without trimming, except my fringe. By the time I was 16 my hair was nearly to my knees, and I decided to try growing out my fringe, just to see how long it took to get to the length of the rest of my hair. By this time, I had mega-thick hair, with a few waves. Probably 1b/iii in our classification system. I colored it frequently, and even bleached colors into the front parts of my hair, like blue and red and purple. It looked cool but was hazardous, as I know now.
-I got it cut back to just below BSL (I'd guess I went from about 47" to 25", although I never measured it) before college, and re-grew it to waist length by the time I married and had my first child, age 21. Fringe now about shoulder-length.
-I shed massively after each my five pregnancies, which were right after another. But my hair grew like crazy, so I had to cut back a lot after each pregnancy, when I got the time to manage my hair again, since I like blunt ends. Fringe now to nearly waist length, in 2006 after fifth child, hair at tailbone until fringe catches up.
-I pretty much kept up the same routine of trim, wait, trim, wait until the summer of 2008 when I stumbled across this site. I lurked for a few months and finally decided to join in October. By this time, my fringe was about tailbone, and was almost the same length as the rest of my hair. I decided to embrace my waves again.
-December 2008, my fringe and hair were even and I trimmed again just to keep the hemline straight. Almost at classic.
-March 2009, classic length achieved, but ends really thin compared to the rest of my length. Decision made to maintain at classic for thickness. Still loving the waves.
-May 2009 - NOW - Cut about 2" off a few weeks ago, have already grown almost a full inch back. Hair is waaaaay thinner than it used to be - now 2a-2b/ii - and is completely virgin growth, no color, no perm damage. I put the thinning down to hormonal changes due to my many pregnancies. It has thickened up considerably, though, thanks to gentler treatment. :)

Pixna
May 11th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Fun thread!

I had fine, very soft, somewhat curly, light reddish-brown hair.

My hair became more brown/caramel colored and got thicker and wavier.

It stayed pretty much the same, as far as I can tell. Back then, we rolled our hair in giant soup cans or clipped it flat to make it straight. I was always fighting my waves.

It's gotten a whole lot more silvery and a tad straighter since menopause. Other than that, I think it's pretty much the same.

Rohele
May 11th, 2009, 10:37 AM
When I was born I had fine back hair which fell out and was replaced with dark blond.

I didn't have typical fine child hair - it was very thick mostly straight kind of a caramel colour.

It became wavier, but was still the same colour, and still very thick (until I had a huge shed at around 16 yrs.)

It is slightly thinner, I'm not sure it ever completely recovered from the shed in my teens. I probably lost a bit of thickness after my pregnancies as well. It has become a lot darker and ashier, much to my dismay it is losing a lot of the red tones it had (my hair used to look very reddish in the sunlight), and of course, grey hairs a sprouting now. It is also curlier - this happened after my last pregnancy.

aprilmay
May 11th, 2009, 03:17 PM
-what type of hair were you born with? I had very little hair for my first year or so. After that, it was fine and kind of orange.
-how did that change during your childhood (color, structure etc.)? As I grew older and my hair grew longer, it became thicker and darker.
-did it change in your teens? Hard to say because I was perming it.
-did it change later in life? I now have a slight wave at the nape of my neck and of course gray hairs at the crown of my head and probably elsewhere.

RainDropPixie
May 11th, 2009, 04:33 PM
I was born with a red mohawk. I had a mohawk forever. I know around age 2 I had short strawberry blonde hair. I have always been a "dirty blonde" but with a fair amount of "strawberry". I've always told people I'm a "orange dirty blonde" I began coloring my hair at 11 so I didn't see my natural hair color again until age 18. My hair is now every color imaginable (natural), but I'm mostly still a red with lots of blonde highlights (summer). I'm not my natural color now, because I'm 21 with a fair amount of grey. When I am 35 + I will be a proud grey, but until then...no.

My hair has always been baby fine, ponytail circum of 3+ inches depending on how butchered thinned its been or unthinned. It has always been board straight on top, wavy in the middle and underneath with a few ringlets showing up from time to time. This all depends on whether I use conditioner or not.

I've been told time and time again that I have a natural hair color to envy and texture to envy. But I suppose since its mine... it seems boring.

princess
May 11th, 2009, 04:49 PM
I was born with straight hair of reasonable thickness. It stays the same way only with lots of waves in the lower portion of the hair. Which is emabarassing. I like ideally 1A hair from below the neck and do not mind curls closer to the scalp but it is the other way round.

rose_in_bloom
May 11th, 2009, 05:10 PM
I was born with almost no hair at all, and the hair that was there was super fine. The color started out red and turned to white-blond within a few weeks. It's been blond ever since although it is slightly darker now than it used to be. It was always very fine and thin and pin straight. Now it has a few random waves here and there, but it's mostly straight. I never really had a hair cut until I was 12 or 13 so by then it was down to my hips. Then I was really tired of it and had no idea how to care for it, so I cut to waist and got bangs. I loved the bangs for about a week and then I was sick of them. So I grew out the bangs and when I was 14 I cut my hair to mid back. When I was 15 I got a perm...biggest mistake of my life. 6 months later I cut to a chin length bob, and it actually looked really cute. But I didn't feel quite right with short hair and I missed feeling like a princess. So about a month after I cut it I decided to grow it back out.

And here I am. :) Now it's at APL, and I'm headed on down to classic!

Islandgrrl
May 11th, 2009, 05:29 PM
I was born with fine, light strawberry fuzz that pretty much all fell out and came back in as very fine white-blonde stuff.

I stayed blonde throughout childhood, but it started getting more gold-red than yellow.

As an adult, it got a bit darker and then after my daughter was born it started getting redder. And after my son was born it pretty much settled on a really light coppery auburn color. Then I moved to the Pacific Northwest (from the Pacific Southwest) and as a result of lack of sun, it turned the color it is now.

Except now it's turning grey. Ick.

NeilTheFuzz
May 11th, 2009, 06:13 PM
I was born pretty much bald with very light, whispy hair. By the time I was 3 or 4 I had a mop of straightish thick blonde hair. By the time I was 8 my hair had gone dark brown. In my early teens, my hair started to look ever so slightly red in the brown. Also, in my teens I started growing my hair long and I started to gain the curls you see today. :)

afield5000
May 11th, 2009, 06:25 PM
I was born with fuz on my head, if that counts as hair. I had blonde curly hair until 2ish then my hair started turning a mousy blondish color but stayed wavy and curly. Then between age 7 to 10 my hair was relatively straight and a little darker. Then In my teeneage years it was ashy , mouse blonde, kind of a blah color and very frizzy. I wore it in a pony tail for the majority of my life till about 16 I dyed it dark red for three years. Around age 17 I chopped it to almost buz cut length. Then I dyed it dark brown then black. Then I cut my bangs straight across. Now I'm growing it all out to my hips

GeoJ
May 11th, 2009, 07:25 PM
I was born with fine reddish brown hair.

It became curly red hair, and then after 3 years of age it became darker, thicker, and straighter.

So, during childhood it was thick, straight, and dark brown.

During my teens it became wavy and medium brown with red highlights.

Since then the main change has been my red highlights changing to dark blond highlights. I think it may have also gotten thinner and/or finer as an adult, but I never measured such things in the past so I am not sure of that.

:)

Mabel Grey
May 11th, 2009, 07:56 PM
First off...WOW what great hair stories. I think this is a fun thread.
-what type of hair were you born with? I had no hair...anywhere, I was literally hairless no eyebrows, nothing, Mother painted them on one year for photos, funny considering my sister is a Yeti.
-how did that change during your childhood (color, structure etc.)? when it finally grew in it was Frog Fuzz. Very light Blonde, but like honey not white, in the summers it would go white but that was sun bleaching and my parents let it grow. The thickness was medium.
-did it change in your teens? No change in color, just in length.
-did it change later in life? When I hit about 28 it started to get a bit of brown and red. Even now in the right light I have brown and red and white and blonde and honey coloring. It is really nice, but for the most part I think it looks like a dark blonde with sun highlights. It is now much thicker, because I found out I was anemic and am treating it. Really am blessed and happy to have my hair. But wish on days I had the dark hair of my parents and siblings. My gran's were both lovely haired ladies, one with firey red and the other with curly brown.

LittleOrca
May 12th, 2009, 01:14 PM
What type of hair were you born with?
I was born bald! For the first 18 months of my life everyone thought I was a little boy if I wasn't in some overly-girly dress with a headband. "You have a little handsome boy there, Mrs Thomas." "She's a girl." :rolleyes:

How did that change during your childhood (color, structure etc.)?
When my hair finally came in it was blond, thick, and wavy. It was pretty much the same hair I have now, but felt softer and was blonde. My aunt took me to get it cut from classic length to shoulders when my mother was at work. I wanted to look like my friend, and I also think my aunt hates long hair so she was willing to take me(since she bothers me today about mine.) My mom cried over the loss of my hair (She was at work when it happened). I cut my hair from shoulder to chin to shoulder to chin to pixie and finally stopped there when I was scolded by a woman for going into the girl's bathroom. It seemed to be a pattern when I had short hair I was mistaken for a boy. :rolleyes:

Did it change in your teens?
I decided I had had enough and started to grow my hair out in middle school, but in my teens came another phase: red head! I wanted red hair so bad. I admit part of this was due to the movie Titanic. While I wasn't a Leo chick, I was a history buff; lover of elegant dresses, lover of long hair, and the musical score was perfect for me (considering it was very Celtic.) I dyed my hair several times with chemical dyes before I found Henna while on a trip to Canada. I got that, used it, loved it, but used chemical dyes to cover my roots some more.

My senior year of high school I was tired of it and wanted my brown hair back. I dyed it brown several times after letting my roots grown so I could see the natural color. I once even had it done professionally, but refused to let them strip my hair first. I kept at it and eventually just gave up and let my hair grow out to what is is now.

Did it change later in life?
I'm not too far from the teen years, but my hair did change in college. I wore it down a lot and the ends got caught on my computer chair at the dorm and I think that had a bad effect on it. It was coated in cones and stalled in growth for the most part. Then I came here... now I am only half a cone head and my hair is growing again.

I also have more weapons of words and knowledge to combat my aunt who wants my hair cut and gone. It is hard though. The only one who still supports me is my mother. My aunt has gotten to my sister and now they are both into blow dryers, chemical dyes and bleaches, straighteners, and everything else. The only way I physically combat it is to put my hair up in different styles and that tends to get my aunt off my back.

cakedcake
May 12th, 2009, 09:44 PM
I was bald for a long time as a baby, and then my hair finally grew in a golden blonde color that darkened as I got older.

My teens were a crazy time of hair experimentation! I've probably dyed it every color, and it's been every length from pixie to elbow. I'm twenty-one now so I'm still recovering from that mindset and learning how to treat my hair properly.

UrsaMama
May 16th, 2009, 07:12 PM
I was born with darkish hair, not too much. As a toddler I had silver blood hair that has been darkening steadily throughout my life and I'm now closer to a medium brown. The type has not changed though, straight, fine, and very slippery. But the overall thickness has increased somewhat. It' was a shock to me to discover a few years ago that I had to use hair toys for thick hair. :shrug:

hennaphile
May 16th, 2009, 07:40 PM
I had hair like Arwen and a fat braid with which I could hit my brother... kind of like the princess in Shrek :) . People would stop me in the street every day. Then I cut it to collar bone length :brickwall: and shaved it off underneath. It never grew back the same, and then one day it started falling out, and found tumble weeds of hair everywhere. Now I have about 40% of what was there, but what's left has grown a bit past tail bone. weeee.

Cinnamon Hair
May 16th, 2009, 09:10 PM

1. I was born with a full head of jet black hair that promptly fell out leaving me bald. :)

2. It seemed more fine textured when I was younger, but that may have been the lack of good care. It was always flat to my head and straight as a bone. I also had a lighter color of brown, bordering on dark blonde when I was young.

3. Not noticably; it was a very gradual change over time to my medium brown color. I don't remember any sudden texture change either, but it is thicker with more body now.

4. I'm 24.

HotRag
May 17th, 2009, 03:22 AM
I was born with medium golden blonde hair.
Had curls until 4 years of age.
At 4 years, it got thicker and coarser. Got to about 1b-1c (more to 1b I think) which is the same now.

In my teens, it got a bit darker, and more thick.

After pregnancies, it got more darker.

No changes in the "waves".

No grey hairs yet (I get 38 12th of june this year). My father is 62 and has no grey hairs, same for his mother when she was 80. My mother got grey hairs at 45, so I could very well get that too.

Natalia
May 17th, 2009, 05:03 AM
-what type of hair were you born with? I was born with nearly black relativly long (for a baby :p ) straight fine hair.
-how did that change during your childhood (color, structure etc.)? Sometime before i was a year and a half my hair turned bright blonde (what an odd thing?) still fine and turning out to be rather thin.
-did it change in your teens? My hair stayed blonde but varied in color due to natural sun highlights from working outdoors. Still thin still fine but outsideof that i cant really vouvh becasue i started dying my hair :p.
-did it change later in life? Still fine still thin :( but im learning to like it :). Ive stopped dying my hair for various reasons to find it is still blonde and if it hadnt started falling out it had looked reasonably thicker with good care and some braid waves.

Thats me :p,
Natalia

Sarahmoon
May 17th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Judging from photographs I've always been a natural brunette :D
I was born with some thinnish brown hair. I don't remember much from it, just that it was somewhere between shoulder length and mid back before mom let it cut in some ugly short style when I was 6. She doesn't know how to brush hair in a painless way so I guess it was because she was tired of me crying every morning. Hated the short style (I got bullied by other kids... partly the reason why I like long hair so much now). Fortunately my parents didn't mind me letting it grow long again and I learned how to brush my hair as I got older. I let it grow till about tailbone when I just entered highschool and got kind of bothered into cutting it. I cut it to mid back and it has been about that length until I decided to grow it longer again about 3 years ago.
It has always been brown and 1b I guess, though it seems wavier since the last few years. I think that's because I wear it more in braids and buns now, don't brush anymore and use don't shampoo the length anymore. Yay to LHC :D

ieiazel
May 17th, 2009, 09:30 AM
I was born with a mop of black hair that gradually changed into a thick long mane. The roots were very blond and the rest was chestnut brown with some reddish undertones. I had wavy hair, especially around the face, but not curls. My mother took care of it and it has never been that great again.

I've always had a lot of hair, but ever since I reached a certain age I only shed shed shed. It grieves me to see how much hair I've lost, because I love thick hair, and now I'm trying with natural oils and products to see if it improves somehow.
Now my hair is curlier, and darker.

Speckla
May 17th, 2009, 10:18 AM

Curly blonde fuzz

nothing change except it went from whitish blonde to golden blonde

darker brown curls

brown and greying curls

I've been a 3a/b, fine and thin all my life.

Katurday
May 17th, 2009, 02:47 PM
I was born with a thick, black pixie cut.
By age two, this morphed into a blonde, spiral curled shoulder length thing.
It became honey colored and grew in length.
Still very curly by the age of 6.
Then at age 8 it settled into a medium brown.
Still curly.
Then it became wavy by age 11.
Then it deepened in color and became gradually straighter.
===
Dying interwal
===
Now...Well...My roots are LIGHT brown.
My hair was straight, but its gaining back a lot of loose wave.
I'm only 16. My dad tells me that his hair followed the same
pattern, and by the time I'm 20, it will be naturally jet black.

Its been a heck of a ride, let me tell you.

RancheroTheBee
May 17th, 2009, 02:51 PM

White blonde and curly.

It got slightly darker and went completely straight.

Yep. It started becoming more reddish and going super Diana Ross kinky.

It's becoming lighter (which goes against everything I know about hair) as well as becoming more straight. One day, I will have the same hair I had in the second grade - straight, shiny and down to my butt. :)

allege
May 17th, 2009, 03:19 PM
My hair likes to change color all by itself! I was born with stick straight black hair, by the time I was about 3 my hair was blond, then it changed to red, after that it settled on dark brown (about the time I was 8). The waves in my hair has been a slow process, its really just gotten definable wavy in the 8-10 years.

My hair was super thick until College. I tried a product (John Freida brilliant brunette) and it caused my hair to excessively shed. Its been a slow process getting thickness back.

sagebabies
May 17th, 2009, 04:51 PM
I was born with thick, brown curly hair.
Then it turned white/blonde as I got older, by elementary school it was very, very blonde. It stayed thick.
It has been blonde and thick ever since, but the older I get the darker it's getting. It is still slightly wavy. I've always had long hair, with a few mistake cuts along the way.

zen_oven
May 17th, 2009, 07:41 PM

My hair has pretty much always been naturally curly, but it was much lighter in color when I was younger. I was born with a bit of black hair, though I pretty much stayed a cueball until I was nearly two. My hair grew in a curly light- almost ash-brown. It gradually darkened over my earliest years. I had nearly waist length dark hair in kindergarten. My hair was almost black through my elementary school years, and seemed to lighten just a tiny bit as I entered high school. Ever since I've had very dark brown hair with some reddish undertones (mostly only visible in the sun).

ZaBasDa
May 17th, 2009, 10:37 PM
I was born with a head full of stick straight jet black hair. It shortly fell out and I was bald for a long time.
When it finally grew back in, it was super curly, like 3c-ish, and dark brown. I was normal thickness.
The only thing that has changed was it went from 3c to mostly 3a with a little 3b, and super thick. I had about twice the normal about of hair. My hair went from a quite warm dark brown to a slightly darker chocolate brown.
At 18 due to some health issues and the meds I am on, my hair is much thinner than it was and also less curly. I also think I am getting the beginning of my white streaks.
The only thing that hasn't changed is my hair has pretty much always been some form of dark brown.

Dementia1013
May 17th, 2009, 10:51 PM
I was born with a full head of Brown hair. Later in the years it became slightly curly, eventually that died out and from the ages of about 4 to17 I had Straight Dark brown hair.

My senior year in high school as a rebellion I dyed my hair blue. After that faded out I dyed it Purple and that's the way it's been ever since.

So, now it's straight Purple hair. :D

Dementia1013
May 17th, 2009, 10:54 PM
I was born with a head full of stick straight jet black hair. It shortly fell out and I was bald for a long time.
When it finally grew back in, it was super curly, like 3c-ish, and dark brown. I was normal thickness.
The only thing that has changed was it went from 3c to mostly 3a with a little 3b, and super thick. I had about twice the normal about of hair. My hair went from a quite warm dark brown to a slightly darker chocolate brown.
At 18 due to some health issues and the meds I am on, my hair is much thinner than it was and also less curly. I also think I am getting the beginning of my white streaks.
The only thing that hasn't changed is my hair has pretty much always been some form of dark brown.

*HUGS*
I feel your pain. If I didn't dye my hair I would have grey streaks as well. When I was younger I underwent chemotherapy and a good deal fell out and it thinned considerably. It'll get better hon. Just hang in there. :)

aksown
May 17th, 2009, 11:46 PM
I was born with sparse, red hair that fell out and made me bald for a year.
During my childhood it was stick straight and blonde and apparently on the thick side of normal.
The teen years turned it reddish-blonde and slightly wavy, again, I think it was on the thick side.
It's now brown-blonde-red and curly and exactly in the middle of the normal range. :rolleyes:
Oh yeah! I do have a single, solitary, coarse, black hair!

ladylibra
May 18th, 2009, 01:36 AM
-Apparently I was born covered in fine reddish-brown hair all over my body. It all fell out within hours after birth except the hair on my head, which was still a tight curl but not as curly as it is now.

-As a toddler it fell out in patches and grew back in as the thick, tightly-curled hair I have currently.

-No, except that I found my first gray at 16.

-That was only 10 years ago ;) so not yet, other than a few more grays coming in here and there.

Alun
May 18th, 2009, 01:59 AM

Dark

Turned blond and then went dark again by the time I was eight

ETA: Much the same happened to DS

It was wavy by then and pictures of me as a child seem to show straight hair. Possibly turned wavy at puberty, but that would have been when I was 11. Is 'teens' code for puberty?

My hair has also been thin and fine since at least puberty, but probably before that as well, most likely all my life. It's hard to be sure.

It's turning grey!

georgia_peach
May 18th, 2009, 03:48 AM
I was born with a bit of straight brown hair that didn't last for long. Then I was bald for a year or so. As a toddler, my hair grew in straight and fine and brown. My mother said that people used to accuse her of coloring my hair, because it would be a very dark brown in the winter and turn very blond in the summer. Finally it settled on medium brown and was quite wavy and thick underneath but straight on top. During teen years, I lost the thick wavy hair and it was just straight and fine. Later in life, the waves underneath are coming back and I'm going very grey on top and on the sides. The rest is still medium brown.

zift
May 18th, 2009, 05:15 AM
I was born with very little to bald dark blonde-light brown hair. And than when my hair grew out it was a light reddish brown and curly and also fine. Than as I got older my hair grew less curly more like wavy and got thicker and coarser and also darker. Now it's medium to dark reddish brown and wurly with rather coarse strands.

Thinthondiel
May 18th, 2009, 02:54 PM
-I was born with almost black, curly hair, which turned into light brown spiral curls. Then my hair turned almost straight (but had the same colour), and then it turned dark brown and wavy. All this happened before my teens. After that, it hasn't really changed that much (but sometimes I have loose spiral curls in the front instead of waves).

Naphthylamine
January 9th, 2011, 02:41 PM
I was born with straight jet black hair. Approximately a year later, my hair had turned to medium golden blonde without falling out (the new growths were all blonde). It was stick straight until puberty. Then it became something like 2a/2b which was really weird because the waves were not homogeneous. (slightly wavy strands, clumping together with tighter waves etc.) I had ironed my hair flat all through my high school years (with a regular clothing iron). Then when I stopped ironing in the college and voila! My hair was 1b/1c. It still is and fortunately the color haven't changed a bit :D

Speckla
January 9th, 2011, 02:46 PM
what type of hair were you born with?

Bald and I was blonde when I did get hair.
My curl pattern has been the same since I got hair. It just thickened up and turned brown between 10-12 years old. No real difference now except it's greying.

swellmel
January 9th, 2011, 10:39 PM
-what type of hair were you born with? I was bald until about 2 years old. When I did get hair it was white blonde.
-how did that change during your childhood (color, structure etc.)? Growing up it was white blonde, straight, super fine and very thin. My mother kept it short- usually no longer than my chin- she said any time it had any length on it it would look stringy.
-did it change in your teens? It became thicker but still fine. Still super straight. I was still a blonde but not white blonde anymore. It had darkened a few shades.
-did it change later in life? My hair changed color after my first child. It went from medium blonde to deep dark brown. It's still thick and straight. It's not baby fine like it was before I had kids. It's medium now. I do find the occasional coarse black hair though!

Fufu
January 10th, 2011, 12:02 AM
I was born with fine and straight black hair..

My hairtype didn't change, it was all along fine, straight and black.

Till i was around 17, I started to colour my hair.

I guess it still the same, except I experiment more hair colours now.

UltraBella
January 10th, 2011, 12:36 AM
I was born bald and I was bald until the age of two. My mother panicked because she thought I would never grow hair. Then it grew in suddenly, thick and golden light blonde.
By the time I started kindergarten it was past my shoulders. It just kept getting thicker and thicker, my mom started cutting it short to make it easier to deal with. Sigh. I hated those hair cuts.
It started to turn dark ash blonde around junior high and I grew it out. By 8th grade it was BSL, by Freshman year it was waist.
When I had my daughter my hair started growing in kinkier, with some really wild tight waves that are frizzy on my crown. That area has gotten frizzier through the years. I did not have a hormonal shed after having her and I have never noticed a seasonal shed either.
I get almost exactly an inch of growth per month and it has been that way since I was at least 13. I have not noticed nutrition, weight, hormones, etc having any effect on it.

svehex
January 10th, 2011, 12:47 AM
My hair story can be viewed her:

http://heksebua.com/en/whois/me-through-the-years.html

arc691
January 10th, 2011, 01:06 AM
http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy68/terryandjody/Smilies/thinking-idea-animated-animation-smiley-emoticon-000339-large.gif

Let me think....I was born with strawberry blonde hair; it was kind of wavy when I was a toddler and a darker shade of strawberry blonde than it is now. Other than that, my hair hasn't changed much (except in length LOL!)

Lianna
January 10th, 2011, 02:27 AM
I was born with curls, golden blonde. Curls got loose and hair lighter (sun?). After age ten, it became dark blonde with few highlights, after that it became ashy by age 13-14.

Now I'm forced to stop because I dyed my hair.

Why this no dye/perm rule? It's still hair, it's still how a person looked/lived their life.

Rebecka_N
January 10th, 2011, 02:53 AM
How fun!
-what type of hair were you born with? I was born bald with a little patch of blond hair.
-how did that change during your childhood (color, structure etc.)? I told my mother never to cut my hair. So it grew and grew and it went from a strawberry blond to a light golden brown. It was quite curly, corkscrew hair. And when I was five my hair was at my waist.
-did it change in your teens? My hair became thicker, it was now BSL. It became straiter and lighter, turning into a dark strawberry blond that became bright blond during the summer.
-did it change later in life? Later I started damaging it with chemicals. Eeek. And i havenīt seen my real hair until about one year ago when I gave up the chemicals and went natural. Almost, I still henna and indigo my hair. But my hair right now is the thickest itīs ever been and beginning to curl more and more.

TheMechaGinger
April 29th, 2011, 08:26 PM
I was born with fine BLAZING red hair

It got a teesny bit lighter and courser

My hair turned a more strawberry blond like my moms compared to the very bright red that it was and my hair got a lot thicker

Well I'm 19 so we'll see

racrane
April 29th, 2011, 09:01 PM
This is fun! :D

black hair

I promptly became a platinum blond throughout childhood, very fine and wavy

Still fine and wavy, but it's slowly darkening. It was more of a golden blond in high shcool

Well, I'm only 20, but it's still darkening, still wavy and fine...I'm curious to see what comes next :)

Krentje
April 30th, 2011, 04:10 AM
For me:
-I was born with straight black hair (my mother was proud to have a newborn with hair, instead of a bald baby)
-that quickly changed: it all fell out at 3 months and I stayed bald for a long time! My mother was very dissapointed by that... I find it a very strange thing to happen, but I heard it happens to some people. And the bizarre change of color when it did come back.
-By the age of 2 I finally had some hair but it was very light blonde and straight.
-My hair started darkening up around age 10 I think and in my teens it became dark blonde (kind of tawny). It was still very straight.
-Only when I was an adult did my hair texture change a lot: instead of pin straight and very slippery it became wavy and more rough in texture.
-Lately I got more waves and curls

Ditto, thanks for writing it down :D. Allthough no curls here, at all.

pepperminttea
April 30th, 2011, 04:24 AM
Golden blonde curls, always quite thick, finer than my hair is now.

Around age seven my hair darkened to it's current ashy brown. I think my curls were just 'baby curls' - once they were cut off, they were gone.

My hair's gotten a tinsy bit less fine as I've got older; more F/M than the F it was as a child. In my teens I really messed with my hair a lot (permed and dyed) so I'm not sure what my hair was doing naturally then.

I don't know if it was just 'cone use, but I didn't notice I had wavy-ish hair until my late teens when I went 'cone-free for the first time. I'm also noticing a few coarser darker hairs coming through, which judging by my mother's hair, will eventually take over my head, turning it darker before it goes grey/white. We'll see. :)

Bene
April 30th, 2011, 04:47 AM
I was born with a full head of black hair. No one seems to remember what it looked like or what kind of texture I had.

There are like NO baby pictures of me. Apparently my parents took baby pictures but happened to forget to get them developed. The only early childhood photos of me that exist, aren't of me, I just happen to be in them "Look, that's my elbow!", and they can be found in my older sister's baby album which fully and comprehensively records every little detail of her life, even after I was born.

My earliest memories are from when I was a little younger than 3 years old. My hair wasn't cut. It was thin, straight, and extra fine. I looked like Gollum. I could wash it, and airdry it (with no toweling or anything) and it would be thin and straight. Everyone called me "4 hairs", it was that thin.

When I was about 5, my mom decided she didn't want to deal with two heads of hair in the morning, so I ended up going from waist length hair, to a pixie cut. My sister got to keep her length though. Around this time, I was left to my own devices concerning hair care (well, pretty much about everything, it's a miracle I'm not feral).

When I was about 8, my hair started changing texture. It started getting drier, frizzy, and curly. From then on, I left it up in a ponytail because I didn't know what to do with it. The only thing I knew was shampoo, comb, airdry, so needless to say, my hair was a mess from age 8 to 12.

At 12, I discovered conditioner. It was always in the house, but no one bothered to tell me about it. I also discovered, that if I combed my hair back while it was still wet, and put it in a ponytail, the front would at least be presentable.

At 15, I taught myself how to blowdry hair, so from 15-18, my hair was always "done"

At 18, I figured out dampbunning, and I've been doing that off and on since then. Everything I do now, is what I've been doing to my hair since I was 18. I've had a few big chops along the way, so my hair never got longer than APL.

About 3 years ago, I discovered this site, and learned that dampbunning is okay, well that everything I was already doing was okay. I've changed my hair products since then, but my routine and maintenance hasn't changed.

caiti42
April 30th, 2011, 05:00 AM

Black hair! Which fell out :(

When my hair grew back it was a very light mousy colour - my mother then gave me the nickname that has stuck Caiti-Mouse (I still get called this) It grew with a wave in it and really thick stands and lots of them!

My hair continued to get darker, I also started colouring it around 14 so I'm not quite sure what my natural colour would be all over. The wave also got stronger.

Well I'm only 24 but my hair is much straighter now. It still has a natural wave though. Much less frizzy than it ever was and I'm still not too sure what my natural colour looks like! I think its a medium brown judging from regrowth. I have about an inch and i'm contemplating growing it all out.

erialc
April 30th, 2011, 05:02 AM
very fine, dark blonde and straight hair

It's gotten darker and darker by time. When I was little I had this bad habbit of twisting my hair with my fingers, litterally ripping off hair after hair after hair until my mom had to cut it really short to keep me from doing it.

Up until 13-14 I had very thick hair, fine but with a lot of hairs. Then I discovered the wonder of hair dye... Bye bye lovely hair. I shed to less than half the thickness, had to cut it shorter and most of the time it was just a big frizz. On top of that it went from as straight as it can get to really curly when I was about 18.

Well, I'm not old enough to now yet :P

Aniah
April 30th, 2011, 05:03 AM
-what type of hair were you born with? Thick jet black hair! -how did that change during your childhood (color, structure etc.)? When I was young, it was poofy and curly, I looked like a lion in my baby photos. Then, I started to get older, it became less poofy. -did it change in your teens? Oh yes, my mother didn't use conditioner when I was younger so my curls were fried. My hair was in its unhealthiest state ever. -did it change later in life? I'm 19, so I think in future, it will get thinner as I age, I'll have more white strands which will stand out against my jet black hair.

celebriangel
April 30th, 2011, 07:05 AM
I was born light blonde, which was honey-blonde for a long time as a kid. At the time it was quite fine and went in big loose wavy curls. It darkened to golden brown gradually, then turned ashy, and the hair became coarser and thicker and curlier.

I'm pretty sure it's still that colour. Regrowth looks darker, but - well, it's regrowth. I even think I saw a hint of golden the other day! So maybe the ashiness was because it was fairly healthy, just not shiny and happy? Maybe there's still some golden in there...

I dyed it (mostly with semis) for so long I forgot what it actually looks like. Growing out a few inches so I can tell what will happen when I henna. Who knows what I'll find? I swear it used to be a bit thicker than this, but I've had shortish, heavily layered hair for so long I can't really remember how naturally thick it was. It's all one length now, but I peroxided it for a while to get a red from dark brown dye (not bleach, just regular permanent box colour). And, judging by the *colossal* shed every time I did it (like 3 or 4 times that of a normal wash) it was thinning me out at least a bit. So no more of that :cheese:

Joribear
April 30th, 2011, 09:08 AM
I was born with thick, blue-black hair. My mom tells the story that the doctor who delivered me didn't want to show me to my dad at first, because I looked more like an Asian than a Caucasian baby!

By about a year or so, my hair had turned white-blonde with little curls towards the ends; never a full head of curls, just right there at the ends.

Through 6th grade, my hair was long, thick, white blonde and straight, except for the halo/baby hairs that still held curls (the weight of my hair straightened out the curls).

The summer of my 6th grade year, my mom decided she didn't have time to help me with my hair every day, and she got it chopped off. I had hair almost to my knees and it was cut to just above my shoulders with layers. The hairdresser had to cut off 18 inches to even get my hair to fit in her sink. I will never forget: the place my mom took me to for my very first haircut was "Headhunters" - that just inspires a great deal of trust, doesn't it? Needless to say, my dad was L-I-V-I-D when we got home (mom hadn't told dad what she was doing)...

My hair was still the pretty white-blonde and I was determined to let it grow out again, until the Halloween of my 8th grade year. I came up with the brilliant (:confused:) idea of using a grape-purple "wash out" hair color. I very carefully read the directions and all the warnings about what to do if it got in your eyes, how to get it off your skin, wear old clothes, etc, etc, etc. I did, however, miss the great big BOLD warning that said to not use it on blonde hair.... The next several years my hair was a rainbow of deep purple, pink, lavender, orange, peach, and finally golden blonde, as the purple dye worked it's way out of my hair.

I kept my hair at around BSL and blonde all through high school. In college I decided I wanted something "new" so I went for a nice fiery red hair color. It was gorgeous! Everyone called me Ariel (Little Mermaid). About this time, I was engaged to get married and my grandmother (a natural redhead) passed away. I guess I looked a lot more like her than I ever thought, as my grandfather and several of her old friends thought I was a ghost of her when they would catch me out of the corner of their eyes. My dad made the deal with me that if I went back to blonde, he'd pay for the wedding. This was a deal I couldn't pass up - $100 bleach job at the hairdresser for a $5000 wedding? Deal, Daddy, deal!

I wanted to cry after the bleach job, my hair felt like straw! Ugh, I will never do a full head bleach job again!

When I was pregnant with my oldest son (now 15), my hair went from golden blonde to almost a mousy brown color (I hated it!). After he was born, my hair lightened up again to a more dark blonde color. Then I got pregnant again and back the mousy brown hair came.... I stopped getting pregnant after that one - just look at what it was doing to my hair! :smack:

I think my hair is now trying to come back with the mousy brown pregnancy color, but it looks blonde right now, but only because of the highlights I had done about two months ago (that shall be a time forever now called BLHC - Before Long Hair Community).

elbow chic
April 30th, 2011, 11:36 AM
-what type of hair were you born with? None!

-how did that change during your childhood (color, structure etc.)? I was about three before I had enough hair to say anything about it. It was completely white and super-fine and wispy. Baby hair.

-did it change in your teens? Yes, it got more volume, which I had NO idea how to cope with, and the individual strands were also a little thicker, though still very fine for "adult" hair. It also got a smidge darker, though still very light, especially since I spent all summer out on the lake or at the beach back then.

I have photos of myself as a teenager with white hair. That's the sun. My older self shudders to think of the UV damage. haha

-did it change later in life? Not really; I have the same hair I did when I was 13... just better cared-for and less sun-bleached. Everyone told me it would change when I had my first baby.

It didn't, and none of my subsequent three pregnancies significantly changed my hair, either. Now people tell me it'll change when I turn thirty. Well, my thirtieth birthday is fast approaching, so we'll see. ;)

oktobergoud
April 30th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Born with fine, curly lightblonde hair! I think it become a bit darker and straighter when I was a child. I have no idea if it changed in my teens because I have dyed my hair since I was 14. And I'm not sure if it has changed since I was little! I always have fine but lots of hair, and I don't think that has ever changed. My hair has gotten straighter in my childhood, but it's still a liiiiiittle bit wavy at some times (when it rains or something).

skyblue
April 30th, 2011, 01:20 PM
-what type of hair were you born with? I think it was fine hair when I was a baby and curlie,

-how did that change during your childhood (color, structure etc.)? the texture changed to m/c really wavy and thick! they kept it long til I was about 9 then cut it really short

-did it change in your teens? yes I think it started to get more fine, still thick with some M/C still present

-did it change later in life? Yep it thinned more and more and the M/C hairs eventually fell out to now I'm mostly fine haired again....full circle except it's longer then ever ;)

Chetanlaiho
May 2nd, 2011, 06:34 AM
This is quite funny because I've been looking at my picture books lately to find out how long my hair was when I was younger (apparently my parents kept it at shoulder length most of the time) and I noticed the big change in colour xD

I was very light blonde for the better part of my life (which, being dark brown now, is a really weird thought). I was never white blonde but definitely light, it stayed that way until I was about 11, then it suddenly got a lot darker (light-brownish). It kept getting darker but for a while I was stuck in between too dark to be blonde - too light to be brown xD (people who had known me longer considered me blonde, people that I had met only recently thought I was a brunette xD)

It also looks thinner in the pictures than it does now, but I wore really tight ponytails back then. The wave pattern is about similar but now the top part of my hair is straighter because of the weight (I think).

Also, I discovered I used to have bangs xD (sounds weird but I really didn't remember!) I thought that the bangs I have now (got them a year ago) were the first I ever had, but apparently not O_o

Looking at the pictures kind of made me want that colour again, but I'm too terrified of bleach xD I apologize for the tl;dr ^^;