PDA

View Full Version : New Growth or Broken Hair?

ratgirldjh
May 10th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Hey everyone!
Hope someone here can give me some input on this weird thing I just noticed.

I was putting my hair on top of my head earlier and I just noticed that on both sides at my temples there is hair that is about 3 inches long! It is pretty much the exact same on both sides - I never noticed this before.

I'm hoping that my hair didn't break off there - I used to have problems with sleep breakage before I started putting my hair in a bun at night - but haven't noticed this problem since then.

How do you tell if this is NG instead of hairs breaking off?

I have been using castor oil on my face and around the edge of my hairline.

Could this be making my hair grow further down? I will try and take pictures of this later today.

Right now I don't know if I should be happy I have NG or sad that I have breakage ;)

Atalaya05
May 10th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Ratgirl, I wish I could help but I'm actually just posting to say that I have the same problem! You can actually see a line of breakage that's right at my ears now. I don't know if it's damage or new growth either.

Someone with more knowledge please come help :)

spidermom
May 10th, 2009, 02:08 PM
New growth has tapered tips. Broken ends are blunt or raggedy looking or have a white dot right at the bottom.

Rohele
May 10th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Do you wear glasses? I noticed my hair breaks off in the temple area because it will sometimes get stuck in the hinges of my glasses. I never noticed that this was happening before, but after hanging around here a few weeks I became very conscious of things that my hair was catching in.

ratgirldjh
May 10th, 2009, 03:33 PM
New growth has tapered tips. Broken ends are blunt or raggedy looking or have a white dot right at the bottom.

This is great to know! This is NG then - it definitely has tapered tips! And now that you mention it - I remember when I used to have sleep damage that it was raggedy looking and didn't look like this at all!

Thanks! YAY!!! :cheese:

ratgirldjh
May 10th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Do you wear glasses? I noticed my hair breaks off in the temple area because it will sometimes get stuck in the hinges of my glasses. I never noticed that this was happening before, but after hanging around here a few weeks I became very conscious of things that my hair was catching in.

I do wear reading glasses - but i don't think I ever catch my hair in them... hopefully not though ;)

Roseate
May 10th, 2009, 04:04 PM
I have perpetual NG at my temples, but frustratingly enough it seems to have a terminal length of about 4"! Not a white dot or split in sight, but never a hair longer than that. It's finer and lighter than the rest of my hair, too.

ratgirldjh
May 10th, 2009, 04:11 PM
I have perpetual NG at my temples, but frustratingly enough it seems to have a terminal length of about 4"! Not a white dot or split in sight, but never a hair longer than that. It's finer and lighter than the rest of my hair, too.

This may be what I have too - mine are about 3 or 4 inches long definitely look softer and shinier - also I think they may be silver - but it is hard to tell since I have hennaed my hair...

shadowclaw
May 10th, 2009, 06:44 PM

I have NG like that, but right in front of my ears. It tends to poke out after a while when I wear my hair up. My bf calls it my sideburns ;)

AmyJorgensen
May 10th, 2009, 06:56 PM
I too consider it to be lady sideburns, because I have the same thing...always have, and it is finer and lighter than the rest of my hair.

melrose1985
May 10th, 2009, 07:46 PM

I hate when this happens!

feralnature
May 10th, 2009, 08:09 PM
"The-hair-stuck-in-glasses" is the first thing I tried to change when I found LHC. I had so many little broken hairs, especially on the left side. But not anymore...now I try to keep each and every hair from breaking. Just paying attention makes a big difference. :)

Kunoichi
May 10th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Ditto the "lady sideburns" here too. :o

aisling
May 11th, 2009, 01:27 AM
It's quite common to have hairs that are finer and have a short terminal length around your temples and sideburn area. many also have these in the neck, along the hairline on both sides of the spine. I myself have a very fluffy neck usually :)

Rohele
May 11th, 2009, 10:10 AM
"The-hair-stuck-in-glasses" is the first thing I tried to change when I found LHC. I had so many little broken hairs, especially on the left side. But not anymore...now I try to keep each and every hair from breaking. Just paying attention makes a big difference. :)

How did you manage to minimize the breakage from this? I still get it, even though I'm careful. (I try to carefully free them when it happens, but I'm not all that successful)