PDA

View Full Version : Teach me how to make a henna gloss :)

EvilPigeon
April 6th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Okay,so this is my first time doing a henna gloss. I have no clue how to do it, so I am in need of a little help. Thanks.

Riot Crrl
April 6th, 2008, 02:47 PM
There are probably as many ways to do it as there are henna-heads, but here's how I did it.

- Small amount of already dye released henna. I think I used a couple tablespoons.
- Large amount of conditioner. I think I used almost a cup.
- Put in hair. I did not leave it in as long as I usually leave henna, maybe an hour or two. I don't see why you couldn't leave it in longer if you wanted to, though. I wrapped it as I normally would for henna.

Results: It created the pre-oxidation "henna glow" for a few days, but didn't seem to really add much saturation. It could be hard to tell, because I was already a full hennahead. This might be a good option for blondes who want to go strawberry without going dark red, as long as they fully tested it first, and might want to use even less henna. Hair was very conditioned, which may have been from the long conditioner treatment, lol. It rinsed out way more easily than a full henna. It looked freakish when I first pulled off the bag, because the henna dust combined with whatever white solids from the conditioner had not soaked in, made a Statue of Liberty color.

Since you've already done a full henna and it was red even before, I'd imagine your results could be similar to mine.

Flaxen
April 6th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Here are a couple of links to posts by some of the old timers. Valentina was the first to call it a henna gloss, I think. :smile:

Valentina's Henna Gloss (http://www.network54.com/Forum/25339/message/1005240610/My+%93gloss%94+recipe%85++%3B%29).

Riverboat Red's Henna Gloss (http://www.network54.com/Forum/227393/message/1045499730/My+henna+gloss+recipe---).

beledigrrl
April 16th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Ooooo! This my first time hearing about henna gloss and I'm looking forward to giving it a try :)

Kirin
April 17th, 2008, 11:56 AM
I am a henna gloss addict lol, its my main henna coloring option. Here's mine:

1/4 pkg Jamila henna (24 gm) dye released with tea
2 tbsp Amla Powder (i like this to ash out the flame red)
1 or 2 tsp manic panic midnight blue (optional, like this if i'm going too orange).
1 DROP white vinegar (helps uptake on gray i've found)
Enough conditioner to cover hair.

I wash my hair with a clarifying shampoo and towel dry just before application for best saturation.

Mix all ingredients, then apply to damp hair, cover with processing cap and towel to keep in the warmth. I leave this on for 3-4 hours. (I'm going for color here on stubborn greys).

I rinse out then use a handfull of conditioner , shampoo, then another handfull of conditioner. I get great color coverage, its a "saver" for henna, so i get color without using tons of it, and doesnt dry out my hair like a full on henna application!

Flaxen
April 17th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Ooooo! This my first time hearing about henna gloss and I'm looking forward to giving it a try :)

Be sure to post the results when you do! :grin: I love hearing updates anyway, and I miss playing with henna/herbs. I've got a color I like now, and I'm not messing with it, lol.

Nightshade
April 18th, 2008, 08:00 AM
There's a pretty basic mix in the henna article in my siggy :) Be warned, though, glosses tend to fade on some people.

Shell
April 18th, 2008, 09:40 AM
There's a pretty basic mix in the henna article in my siggy :) Be warned, though, glosses tend to fade on some people.

Yep, mine has definitely faded. That's okay, I did it primarily for the conditioning, and that means I get to do it again without getting too dark--win-win--for me.

Tapioca
April 18th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Shell, do you have a recipe somewhere for the gloss you used? My color is similar to what yours was pre-gloss, and I love the strawberry you've got going on.

Shell
April 18th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Shell, do you have a recipe somewhere for the gloss you used? My color is similar to what yours was pre-gloss, and I love the strawberry you've got going on.

I've changed the measurements around a bit, but I think this is the recipe for the best one I did:

Measure into a glass bowl

3 teaspoons of Jamila henna
1/2 cup of hot chamomile tea
let sit for just 15-30 minutes (for dye release, you can wait longer for a darker/brighter color)
add 1/2 cup or more of conditioner

Apply to hair, let it sit for 30 minutes, rinse, wash and condition hair as normal.

I used Jamila henna, which wasn't very strong--I have some Rajastani that I will not use on my hair--it's too bright and dark. I did my strand test right on my head, and then blew it dry and compared it to my other hair.

Tapioca, you may need more mix since your hair is so thick. Good luck and post pics!

Gothic Lolita
April 18th, 2008, 12:44 PM
I love henna glosses! My hair is slightly red by nature but the henna boosts the color!
Here's what I do:

-50grams Henna (I've thick hair...)
-add boiling water until the mix is a thick paste
-add the same amout of conditioner (I use a cone free and a heavier one, for Henna tends to dry hair out)
-a bit (really only a bit) of citric acid

I don't let it sit until the dye releases and it works well for me. Just be sure to avoid mixing the henna paste with a metal spoon, use a plastic one.

I always take a little strand, cover it with the henna and then bun it up and secure it with a claw clip. I do this until my head it coverd all over with little buns.
Then I wrap a plastic bag around my head and over this a towel and let it sit for aboutn an hour. After this I rinse for a really long time, wash my hair with my normal shampoo and condition. Like metioned above, henna is a bit drying, if I feel it I do an ACV rinse right afterwards.

The result can be seen in my siggy!

sweetlidlred
April 29th, 2008, 06:26 PM
I have natural auburn hair, but would like the red to show some more. So I thought (after some suggestions from other gals here) that I would try a Henna gloss. Can you tell me how you do this and how often? Thanks

Flaxen
April 29th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Merging threads. :flower:

Elarea
May 12th, 2008, 07:34 PM
What is a henna gloss? I am seeing this term a lot and from reading I assume it's a very small amount of henna mixed with conditioner, that is left on for minutes as opposed to hours. Is that correct?

Riot Crrl
May 12th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Pretty much, but I think it's usually about one hour or so.

sweetlidlred
May 12th, 2008, 07:42 PM
You can look at my post below with a Pic and I also posted how I did my first gloss with it. Sorry, I will try and repost the picture in a little bit.

Riot Crrl
May 12th, 2008, 07:44 PM
You can look at my post below with a Pic and I also posted how I did my first gloss with it.

It appears to be hosted on a site that does not allow hotlinking.

Flaxen
May 12th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Merging threads. :flower:

peritozu
May 24th, 2008, 03:12 AM
Ok, I henna my hair every once in two months (just becasue I am too lazy to do it monthly) but I dont understand the whole concept of henna glossing. Why you use it and when? Can i use this method once a month to hide growing white roots so I wont have to fiddle with whole hennaing session too often? Thanks

greek_lady
May 24th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Hi there!
I don't have an answer to your question, just popping in to say that this area is for introductions only and your post would get more attention in the "Mane" forum.
I'll make a post in the site support so that a moderator can move it. :flower:

Dvips
May 24th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Hi!

Welcome to LHC! I hope you find lots of information here.

I moved your thread to a forum where i should get more attention from those who can answer your question.

Good luck!

Dvips

physicschick
May 24th, 2008, 09:43 AM
A henna gloss is typically a small amount of henna paste mixed with a bunch of conditioner. It doesn't deposit as much color because it's diluted, but it can be easier to apply because conditioner is easier to work with than henna mud. I imagine it would help your whites blend a little bit better between full henna treatments. Maybe give it a try and see if it's worthwhile?

lookingglass
May 24th, 2008, 10:32 AM
I have done full hennas several times, so I have a rich color on my length. Lately, when I "henna", I do the paste "straight up" on my roots and then mix the rest with conditioner and "gloss" the length. It's easier to rinse and I get all the benifits of henna with 100g on my waist length hair. Hope this helps!

Flaxen
May 24th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Merging with some of the other henna gloss information. :smile:

cho_chang
August 30th, 2010, 03:23 PM
My hair is on the lighter end of black, and I want to try henna because I like the reddish shine that it gives to darker hair like mine - I know I won't get drastic color change.

I like the idea of the simplicity of a gloss (easier to apply and rinse out than the full-on mud) but will it probably be too dilute to generate a color change in my hair?

if so, can I increase the henna to conditioner ratio (more henna) to do something in between a gloss and a full on treatment? I'd like to see results (i.e. a warm shine) within 2-3 applications (or, ideally, one application, but I am guessing that is unlikely...)

enjay
August 31st, 2010, 07:49 AM
I gloss using one square of Lush Rouge whizzed up in the blender and mixed with just enough boiling water then mixed into conditioner. I find it is just enough to disguise my roots inbetween hennas. It makes my hair so soft you can hardly feel it. I've bought a cheap thick intensive conditioner this time, I'm hoping it will be less drippy.

YesitsReal
September 8th, 2010, 03:31 PM
I'm thinking about starting to use henna, but I don't want to go super-orange on my blonde hair right at first. I am considering just doing a gloss to start for a strawberry blonde color and 'building' on the henna ratio to add color if I want it later. Is this a good option? Should I use cassia too, or just do a straight henna gloss?

Has anybody else used this method?

Dark Rapunzel
January 8th, 2012, 07:57 PM
so if I do a henna gloss with henndigo, do I wait only 2 hours for the indigo dye to release and then add to the gloss? It makes sense to me, but I'm still a newbie :(

Java
January 8th, 2012, 09:33 PM
I just did a henna, and needed to stretch the amount to cover all my hair. I used home made flax seed gel using instructions I saw on Youtube. It really stretched out the small amount I had to work with, although I wonder if I used just henna (left it on 16 hours hoping to make up for it) the color would have been darker. I also think I should have let it dye-release longer, however, I do think flax seed gel is a very useful gloss method.

woodswanderer
August 3rd, 2015, 05:10 PM
Ok, I'm sitting here with a head full of henna gloss and hoping I got it all my hair covered. I think I will go 2.5 hours and wash it off. Fingers crossed for my first time using henna!

Anje
August 3rd, 2015, 08:22 PM
Oooh, let us know what you think! Pics?

woodswanderer
August 7th, 2015, 08:01 PM
Ok, here's the pic fully oxidized. I used NightBlooming Genasi. I think the overall color is richer than my signature pic and I definitely like it, but I want to go a tad redder. Not sure if I want to do another henna gloss with NightBlooming Genasi, or bump it up to Kitsune. I know I could just to a full strength application instead of a gloss, but my hair doesn't like protein and it is tangle prone, so I want to try to stick with the glosses.http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/ae106/woodswanderer83/image.jpg1_zpsco04ggnq.jpg

Naunnie
August 24th, 2015, 01:16 PM
Woodswanderer, Your hair is gorgeous! I have been researching henna glosses. You have inspired me! I'm not ready to do a whole ahead again, mostly due to the tangles. I'm not familiar with the Henna you used, but I bet if you did go a little redder it would be gorgeous as well. Please post pictures if you do.