PDA

View Full Version : Katie Holmes=Britney Spears?

LisaButz2001
April 6th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I was surfing Yahoo OMG and Katie Holmes has a drastically shorter cut. Even though I wasn't a fan, the bob she had looked better than the new style IMO. Does anyone see any parallels between her and Britney Spears? Radical hair/body changes, a downward spiralling career, an allegedly disintigrating marriage? Or it just me over analyzing?

busnutmedic
April 6th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Do you have any pictures of the new cut?

Bonnie

Pursuer
April 6th, 2008, 02:40 PM
I guess I do on some instances. Both of them have been or are nutso, so there are some similarities.. but Katie Holmes is a family gal, while Brittney can't seem to stand that concept.
But, yes... marriages that are rocky and not healthy, failing career, drastic changes, and acting weird are things they both have in common.

Here is a website with a picture of her new do, but it doesn't really show that well, though you can see the horrible results (maybe she cut it for a movie?). http://www.usmagazine.com/poll_katie_holmes_debuts_shorter_hair_do
One of the commenter's at this site said, "it makes her ears look huge. she just looks so much older than she is with her new wardrobe and hair. did suri get this new cut too?" And I nearly died laughing... anyone remember hearing/seeing Katie Holmes talk about how Suri LOVED choosing fabrics with her or something like that? That comment cracked me up... like they make Suri do everything Katie does and say she likes it or something. It's weird.
Anyway.

Feisty Redhead
April 6th, 2008, 02:46 PM
:shrug: I dunno, I think it's kind of cute. Who are we to say why she cut it, or judge her (or anyone) for cutting her hair OR the way she lives her life? It's her choice, just like it's our choice to grow our hair long. :twocents:

Jason
April 6th, 2008, 02:48 PM
It's certainly her choice and her right but having said that, I hate how her hair looks now. I thought she had nice hair back in her Dawson's Creek days although it certainly wasn't anything we'd consider long then. I can't help but wonder if she thinks she is being sophisticated to sport such extremely short hair now.

Pursuer
April 6th, 2008, 02:56 PM
:shrug: I dunno, I think it's kind of cute. Who are we to say why she cut it, or judge her (or anyone) for cutting her hair OR the way she lives her life? It's her choice, just like it's our choice to grow our hair long. :twocents:
I, just for note, am not judging her on cutting her hair, I just think it's unflattering to her face. Nor do I believe her hair relates to her very public personal life, for the most part (they make that one open for judgment themselves, I suppose).

LisaButz2001
April 6th, 2008, 02:57 PM
I wasn't sure how to take the Yahoo OMG pic without legality issues. I thought this new style was aging too. I know we shouldn't judge people's choices, but several coincidences jumped out at me and I thought it would make an interesting discussion piece.

Wavelength
April 6th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Quite frankly, I think it's at least partly the result of how much the media hounds famous people. They can't sneeze without a dozen gossip magazines claiming that they must be dying of the Asian flu. Everything they do is exaggerated to the point where I'm sure they must have a disproportionate sense of their own importance and significance.

An insecure celebrity might agonize for weeks and weeks over whether they should get a haircut or not, and in the big picture that's a pretty minor decision, really. Take our normal anxiety about changing our hair in some way, and multiply that by a factor of 100. As a celebrity not only would you think about what haircut you want and what your friends might think, but you'd be forced to wonder about what a zillion complete strangers might think when your choice is blasted all over the gossip rags. No wonder some celebrities go into meltdown.

I decided long ago that I would hate to be famous for just this very reason -- not that I'm insecure, but because half the people on the planet would be intimately familiar with the most insignificant details of my private life. That would drive me crazy.

Kuchen
April 6th, 2008, 03:07 PM
I don't think cutting your hair is a sign of insanity or marital problems.

girlcat36
April 6th, 2008, 03:11 PM
I am not a fan of the 'new look'. She just doesn't look like herself anymore. She was so adorable before! I suspect she has had plastic surgery(could be wrong!) done on her eyes as well. Tom is molding her into.......something. I hope that she is happy.

Alaskanheart
April 6th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Quite frankly, I think it's at least partly the result of how much the media hounds famous people. They can't sneeze without a dozen gossip magazines claiming that they must be dying of the Asian flu. Everything they do is exaggerated to the point where I'm sure they must have a disproportionate sense of their own importance and significance.

An insecure celebrity might agonize for weeks and weeks over whether they should get a haircut or not, and in the big picture that's a pretty minor decision, really. Take our normal anxiety about changing our hair in some way, and multiply that by a factor of 100. As a celebrity not only would you think about what haircut you want and what your friends might think, but you'd be forced to wonder about what a zillion complete strangers might think when your choice is blasted all over the gossip rags. No wonder some celebrities go into meltdown.

I decided long ago that I would hate to be famous for just this very reason -- not that I'm insecure, but because half the people on the planet would be intimately familiar with the most insignificant details of my private life. That would drive me crazy.

Completly agree with you wavelength!

Dont we all have some problems anyway, why are we so quick to judge someone whos in the spotlight?Are they really much different than us.Arent we all in some form apart of a whole?

Also , I thought we were suppose to dress/look how we want.If I chopped my hair would people start gossiping about why I did itb and giggle behind my back about how unflatering it looks?I doubt it. Its hair , it will grow, and she might like it.

I feel bad for Brittany, Im not a fan, and say what you want about her, but living with a mental illness is Hell. Dont judge if you have no experience. I couldnt imagine her life.

I dont think cutting/shaving/growing/dying ones hair represents anything more significant.Its a personal choice , and its of small importance in the grand sceme of things.

BrianaFineHair
April 6th, 2008, 03:41 PM
I can't give an opinion one way or the other simply because of the angle of the picture. You can't even see her entire face, so how could I give an honest opinion?

Starr
April 6th, 2008, 03:44 PM
I prefered the cut she had a couple of months ago to this new one, but I certainly wouldn't compare her to Ms. Spears, although both have undergone an enormous amount of change in recent years. What's concerning to me it the degree to which she's changed in the last couple of years. Sure getting married and establishing a family changes a person, but her change doesn't seem to have come at a natural pace. It's like going from 0 to 60 in a matter of 3 seconds instead of 10. And instead of the lovely girl she once was, she's now just another "persona".

And is it just me or she starting to look more and more like Tom?

Pursuer
April 6th, 2008, 03:53 PM

Yes, but I believe that happens to a number of couples (famous and not); not a freakishly high number of couples, but enough to make me think about occasionally on my own. LOL MY husband and I are not one of those couple, but I have a friend-couple that look like they could be brother and sister and are DEFINITELY not. :)

Jason
April 6th, 2008, 04:26 PM

LOL! That is so true. They now have the same hairstyle. Scary:rolleyes:

lora410
April 6th, 2008, 04:30 PM
I really loved the bob she had not long ago. her hair cut reminds me of the one I had*yuk*

LisaButz2001
April 6th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Starr & GirlCat, quite a number of people have expressed sentiments similar to yours regarding the Tom Cruise aspect over at the US Weekly site.

Kleis
April 6th, 2008, 04:52 PM
She's a beautiful woman. If she wants to experiment with her hair, then I certainly am not going to pee on her parade. I remember when Natalie Portman shaved her head. Someone here said something like, "She could wear a monkey on her head and still look gorgeous." Same with Katie.

It must really suck living in the public eye sometimes.

morningstar
April 6th, 2008, 04:59 PM
I think Katie Holmes is a beautiful woman no matter what she does and the only flaw I could ever see is being with a nut job like Tom Cruise. I love his movies but I think he is off somehow. I would never make a connection with her and Britney Spears.
Poor Brit is just a mess these days and whether it is a chemical imbalance or self induced state I really feel bad for her for all the life thats being wasted now.

Nat242
April 6th, 2008, 05:00 PM
She's a beautiful woman. If she wants to experiment with her hair, then I certainly am not going to pee on her parade. I remember when Natalie Portman shaved her head. Someone here said something like, "She could wear a monkey on her head and still look gorgeous." Same with Katie.

It must really suck living in the public eye sometimes.

I agree. Somehow, I don't think that cutting one's hair is a symptom of insanity. These people don't live to make sport for us.

Just my 2 cents.

-- Natalie

akurah
April 6th, 2008, 06:37 PM
It's not entirely out the realm of possibility that she cut it for her job, fwiw. Natalie shaved her head for a movie.

aprilmay
April 6th, 2008, 06:46 PM
I am sooo glad that I am not in the public eye. I feel comfortable walking outside to pick up my newspaper in my pajamas.

spidermom
April 6th, 2008, 06:54 PM
The people we are talking about worked long and hard to get into the public eye, so they have nothing to gripe about, and I for one am not going to waste my breath (or fingertips) championing their right to privacy. Evaluate away. They are paid very well for it.

Kleis
April 6th, 2008, 06:58 PM
The people we are talking about worked long and hard to get into the public eye, so they have nothing to gripe about, and I for one am not going to waste my breath (or fingertips) championing their right to privacy. Evaluate away. They are paid very well for it.

I post my pics online and have tens of thousands of hits on my Flickr. This doesn't mean I'm asking for Joe Blow to critique my mental health based on my hair length. :shrug:

It's not about privacy, IMO. It's about consistency. When a member here cuts her hair short, do we go on the attack? (Well, some of us do, I suppose.) Why is someone not on the board okay as a target? Especially for such an absolutely trivial thing as cutting her dang hair?

Jason
April 6th, 2008, 07:01 PM
I post my pics online and have tens of thousands of hits on my Flickr. This doesn't mean I'm asking for Joe Blow to critique my mental health based on my hair length. :shrug:

It's not about privacy, IMO. It's about consistency. When a member here cuts her hair short, do we go on the attack? (Well, some of us do, I suppose.) Why is someone not on the board okay as a target? Especially for such an absolutely trivial thing as cutting her dang hair?

I don't think any of us is saying it's wrong but at the same time it warrants an opinion, that's all. I hate her short hair.

Kleis
April 6th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Hey, I never said anyone here wasn't free to have an opinion.

yogachic
April 6th, 2008, 07:56 PM
I am not a fan of the 'new look'. She just doesn't look like herself anymore. She was so adorable before! I suspect she has had plastic surgery(could be wrong!) done on her eyes as well. Tom is molding her into.......something. I hope that she is happy.

I think she has had plastic surgury on her nose, It now looks Nothing like it did back on Dawson's creek. Her nose used to be so wide, and its definately Not anymore.

spidermom
April 6th, 2008, 09:04 PM

I don't think that posting your pictures on line is quite the same as devoting your life to becoming a house-hold name and recognized face. When Anna-Nicole Smith died and I complained "it's now all Anna-Nicole Smith all the time," and my DD said "and that's exactly how she would have wanted it."

When a celebrity does something and everybody talks about it - same thing.

Personally, I don't like either one of Katie Holmes' hair cuts. As to whether it means anything about her mental health, I doubt it.

Kleis
April 6th, 2008, 09:11 PM
I don't think that posting your pictures on line is quite the same as devoting your life to becoming a house-hold name and recognized face.

You can look at it that way, but it's just as easy to see it as familiarity being a side-effect of doing what you love. Change the context: within the realms of the LHC, you are very well known. You have over 7500 posts and are one of the most familiar posters here. Do you think this means you should have that much more of a thick skin than someone who isn't well known, just because you love to post?

[Saying this with a smile and non-confrontationally.]

Personally, I don't like either one of Katie Holmes' hair cuts. As to whether it means anything about her mental health, I doubt it.

I agree. If she grew her hair down to her ass, there'd be threads all over shorthair boards talking about her mental deterioration. (Just like Britney going downhill when she grew *her* hair out. :lol:)

spidermom
April 6th, 2008, 09:18 PM
You can look at it that way, but it's just as easy to see it as familiarity being a side-effect of doing what you love. Change the context: within the realms of the LHC, you are very well known. You have over 7500 posts and are one of the most familiar posters here. Do you think this means you should have that much more of a thick skin than someone who isn't well known, just because you love to post?

[Saying this with a smile and non-confrontationally.]

Actually - yeh - it does kind of mean that. I've seen 'em come, and I've seen 'em leave in a snit, but I'm still here calling 'em as I see 'em (and spoilin' for a fight!). Well not really; I couldn't fight with you, Kleis. Your long hair tells me that you have a gentle and romantic nature, so how could I be so crass as to step on that?

Alaskanheart
April 6th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Thats like saying I stole a car radio because the owner left the door wide open.IMHO.I wouldnt mind having celeb paychecks either , but I also know that money cant buy happiness, class, personality,self esteem... What ever happened to the saying "treat others the same way you would like to be treated"? Or is that not relevant to people who have more money and fame than us?Take it for what it is, just an opinion like everyone elses.

Oh yeah, and the pic isnt very clear because of the angle of her head; can see maybe 1/3 of her face. Ill have to wait to see a full frontal pic to decide wheather I like the cut or not. She is one of those people who can pull off just about any look and still look georgeous just like Natalie.It could be for a role too, but I guess it really doesnt matter.

Kleis
April 6th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Actually - yeh - it does kind of mean that. I've seen 'em come, and I've seen 'em leave in a snit, but I'm still here calling 'em as I see 'em (and spoilin' for a fight!). Well not really; I couldn't fight with you, Kleis. Your long hair tells me that you have a gentle and romantic nature, so how could I be so crass as to step on that?

:rollin: How about a pinky wrestling match? :D

spidermom
April 6th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Thats like saying I stole a car radio because the owner left the door wide open.IMHO.I wouldnt mind having celeb paychecks either , but I also know that money cant buy happiness, class, personality,self esteem... What ever happened to the saying "treat others the same way you would like to be treated"? Or is that not relevant to people who have more money and fame than us?Take it for what it is, just an opinion like everyone elses.

Interesting example. We moved to St. Louis Missouri from the outback of the Montana mountains and left our truck unlocked the first night. Of course somebody stole our CB radio and stereo. We didn't blame anybody but ourselves. That doesn't mean we were happy about it, of course.

I know that celebrities are not always happy about public opinion. I just think it's all right for us to discuss a celebrity's choices here. They are public figures. They worked hard to make us notice whatever it is they do.

While we're on the subject (sort of), I think there's probably a great deal of theater in Britney's recent behavior. She doesn't want her public to forget her, and if it takes outlandish behavior to stay in the public eye, then outlandish behavior we shall get.

But - hey - peace everybody. To those who disagree - respect! You have a point.

spidermom
April 6th, 2008, 09:37 PM
:rollin: How about a pinky wrestling match? :D

If I had a cup of coffee, I'd probably be blowing it out my nose all over the keyboard about now. hahahahahahaha - whew ... o.k. o.k. back to work with me Good night, kindred spirits.

Alaskanheart
April 7th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Interesting example. We moved to St. Louis Missouri from the outback of the Montana mountains and left our truck unlocked the first night. Of course somebody stole our CB radio and stereo. We didn't blame anybody but ourselves. That doesn't mean we were happy about it, of course.

But - hey - peace everybody. To those who disagree - respect! You have a point.

I got broken into a few weeks ago. Into my house, while I was on a weekend trip. They stole several thousand dollars worth of our belongings.Mostly the things we saved money for the last few years to buy, Playstation 3, guitars, I-pod...etc. We locked up, but we did have doubts wheather it was our fault, like "we should have took our suitcases through the garage," just in case the neighbors saw us leave, and even "we shouldnt have invited people over to play the new Playstation.Even if we did forget to lock a window, however, I still dont feel that we deserved to have our privacy violated , or our hard earned and paid for personal items to be stolen.I also dont believ that if our house was unlocked or not that the thief had any right to violate our privacy or to steal items from us that he himself did not work for, and Im pretty sure that Karma will catch -up with that person.

I totally get your point about them working so hard to be in the public eye and all, wheather they can handle it or not.Its their choice.

I just think that we as individuals have to start taking responsibility for the moral fabric of our society and start asking ourselves "Hey is this right"?I dont think it is.

I am tired of hearing about these people and their lives in general, but I guess if there wasnt a demand for the info, then the news , entertainment reporters, wouldnt supply it.

Respect right back, and I totally get where your coming from. :)

atlantaz3
April 7th, 2008, 12:05 PM
I think the new cut makes her look like Demi Moore after she shaved her head and then grew it out. Everything is marketing - I'm sure she will be in some hair style mag that someone will take to their hair dresser make me look like her.

Emme76
April 7th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Maybe she just wanted to try something different..hair will always grow back. When I see a new pic of Katie I don't think about her hair...but I do wonder where the healthy looking girl is, that she used to be. She lost to much weight and that is a sign that something is wrong. I am sure she is under a lot of presure to look her "best" and I am sure that can drive someone to do things they normally woulden't do. I just don't really see the "old" Katie anymore - her cloth and hair looks like it is for someone that is 10 years older than her. But like many of you say - we all make our decisions and she is an adult. It is just a shame to see a healthy young woman that is a role model for many, loose so much weight and change her style so much in such short time. The change was so big and so fast when she started to date Tom that I feel like it is not healthy. Not for anyone!
But I might be wrong :)....Maybe she just wants something else is life, and this is making her happy. Who am I to judge? She just doesn't look so healthy in many of the pic I seen.

/Emme

Kleis
April 7th, 2008, 12:44 PM
...but I do wonder where the healthy looking girl is, that she used to be. She lost to much weight and that is a sign that something is wrong.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. She's a marathon runner. That'll strip the excess weight off you like there's no tomorrow.

Áine
April 7th, 2008, 01:07 PM
I don't think cutting your hair is a sign of insanity or marital problems.

Yeah, I was going to say something along those lines. Drawing parallels between her hair, behavior and marriage is quite a stretch. Leave the woman alone.

dcs60
April 7th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Her hair is her hair...she can do what she likes. I'm just sorry we never see her endearing smile anymore....

Pursuer
April 8th, 2008, 12:42 AM
Her hair is her hair...she can do what she likes. I'm just sorry we never see her endearing smile anymore....

I know! Out of say, 35-40 pictures, you might see 2 of those with a smile on her face. Who knows though, it could be that the photogs only allow us to see the "sad" looking Katie to vamp up their personal idea that Tom is a nut-job who controls his spouse.

She is a beautiful young woman and it's sad to see her dressing so old for her age - albeit a classy wardrobe, not for her age. I don't think that she's dressing 10 years older, either. It's more like 20.

On a different but similar note... I watched The Firm today for the first time. Anyone else notice that Tom's acting has gone downhill since his younger days? I almost wagered to say to my husband that he was fantastic in The Firm. His more recent roles though... I dunno, he's not even a B list actor to me anymore. Anyone else?