PDA

View Full Version : how to trim your hair yourself

Xan
May 9th, 2009, 11:19 PM
I would like a slight u hemline any suggestions

Lixie
May 9th, 2009, 11:49 PM
I highly recommend Feye's Hair Trimming Instructions (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/). :)

lynnala
May 10th, 2009, 03:13 AM
I second Lixie's post. I use the Feye method and it works perfectly.

Heavenly Locks
May 10th, 2009, 03:16 AM
Got beat to it twice :) Lots of people use Feye's method with great success. When I need a trim, I will be doing just that.

Dorothea
May 10th, 2009, 05:34 AM
Neat! I trim my own hair and I'll be trying this out the next time I trim.

Pixna
May 10th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Here's another vote for Feye's method. I've been using it for years and swear by it!!

Firefly
May 10th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Only two months ago I finally got up the courage to try self-trimming... and I have to say you can not go wrong with Feye's method. I am so happy I don't have to risk the hairdresser anymore!

florenonite
May 10th, 2009, 10:03 AM
I sixth the recommendation to go with Feye's Self-Trim. Even I can do it, and I'm incompetent with anything involving precision.

neon-dream
May 10th, 2009, 11:08 AM
I'm going to use Feye's method to cut out my V shape into a U shape soon thanks to advice on my thread :D!
It looks simple and her U shape pictures are just what I want in my hair!

Furiana
May 10th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Remember to start off slowly, esp. if you're a wavy or a curly! ;)

Forever_Sophie
May 10th, 2009, 12:47 PM
I also can't wait to try this method. I learned the hard way not to trust, stylists can say anything but when they get cutting, and you can't see what exactly is going on back there.... *shudder*

Carina
May 11th, 2009, 10:49 AM
The next time my hair is screaming for a trim I will use Feyes method for sure.I need to buy a sharp scissor first.:cheese:

Komao
July 23rd, 2013, 05:39 PM
Remember to start off slowly, esp. if you're a wavy or a curly! ;)

Could you give me any other tips? My hair is quite wavy and sort of curly on the bottom. I have messed it up a few times, trying to trim it. I would love to be able to do it myself. :)

jacqueline101
July 23rd, 2013, 09:52 PM
The Feye self trim method seems to be the best.

DarkCurls
July 24th, 2013, 01:16 AM
Could you give me any other tips? My hair is quite wavy and sort of curly on the bottom. I have messed it up a few times, trying to trim it. I would love to be able to do it myself. :)

Hey,

I'm a curly and I've used Feye's method to trim my hair (though it was the blunt hemline version). I trimmed my hair either wet or heavily oiled so it hung as straight as possible, because that's how I wanted to do it. I suppose it's technically possible to do it dry & curly, but I found it easy when straight. Furiana's rec to go slow is a very good idea, your waves might make it seem like you've cut off more than you wanted.
I've heard of trimming curl by curl, but that's definitely more for curlies than wavies. I can only recommend Feye's method, like everyone else here. They're right! It's fast and simple.
I don't know if you've watched it or not, but this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9Erf49Eyxc) is very useful and probably explains more than any tips we could give, unless you have specific questions.

Hannah Ruth
July 24th, 2013, 05:20 AM
After running across these instructions a few days ago, I have plans to try it out this weekend. My DH is going to help. Will let you know how it goes!

CurlyCap
July 24th, 2013, 05:31 AM
I think it matters how curly you are. For instance, if your hair is primarily wavy or straight when wet, then Feye's method should work for you. It might also work better if you are curly but have help.

Personally, I hate Feye's method, because my hair is never straight and Feye's method depends on cutting blocks of hair. I tried it a couple of times and just got frustrated. So I do a curly girl cut, but length based, not "style based". I let my hair dry and "perfect curls", and then I go in, curl by curl, and cut the desired length from each curl, making sure to cut perpendicular to the strands. My hair is curly enough that I can separate it curl by curl, manipulate it a ton during this process, and still not have my curls "break"...so it's easy to cut the same amount off of every curl.

This method lets me cut off an even amount of hair all around my head and not worry about getting all my hair into a pony or scrunchie or whatever. Sliding a hair tie down my hair like in Feye's method.....Nothing slides easily on my head!

Komao
July 24th, 2013, 05:42 AM
Hey,

I'm a curly and I've used Feye's method to trim my hair (though it was the blunt hemline version). I trimmed my hair either wet or heavily oiled so it hung as straight as possible, because that's how I wanted to do it. I suppose it's technically possible to do it dry & curly, but I found it easy when straight. Furiana's rec to go slow is a very good idea, your waves might make it seem like you've cut off more than you wanted.
I've heard of trimming curl by curl, but that's definitely more for curlies than wavies. I can only recommend Feye's method, like everyone else here. They're right! It's fast and simple.
I don't know if you've watched it or not, but this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9Erf49Eyxc) is very useful and probably explains more than any tips we could give, unless you have specific questions.

Hey,

Thank you. I did try Feye's method but did not oil or wet it. I heard wetting it you might take off more than you wanted but with her method for blunt cut, I don't think that would be a problem. I'll let you know how I make out. I'll be so happy to be confident in trimming my own hair.
Thanks to others as well for your posts:o

Komao
July 24th, 2013, 05:46 AM
I think it matters how curly you are. For instance, if your hair is primarily wavy or straight when wet, then Feye's method should work for you. It might also work better if you are curly but have help.

Personally, I hate Feye's method, because my hair is never straight and Feye's method depends on cutting blocks of hair. I tried it a couple of times and just got frustrated. So I do a curly girl cut, but length based, not "style based". I let my hair dry and "perfect curls", and then I go in, curl by curl, and cut the desired length from each curl, making sure to cut perpendicular to the strands. My hair is curly enough that I can separate it curl by curl, manipulate it a ton during this process, and still not have my curls "break"...so it's easy to cut the same amount off of every curl.

This method lets me cut off an even amount of hair all around my head and not worry about getting all my hair into a pony or scrunchie or whatever. Sliding a hair tie down my hair like in Feye's method.....Nothing slides easily on my head!

My hair is more wavy so I might be able to do Feye's method. Thank you for your input as if I can't ill try your way. I found it hard sliding hair tie down, the last time, please wish me good luck.

DarkCurls
July 24th, 2013, 05:53 AM
Good luck, hope it goes all right

CurlyCap
July 24th, 2013, 06:10 AM
My hair is more wavy so I might be able to do Feye's method. Thank you for your input as if I can't ill try your way. I found it hard sliding hair tie down, the last time, please wish me good luck.

Good luck! Remember, you can always go back and trim more...SO START WITH A SMALL TRIM!

CurlyMopTop
July 24th, 2013, 06:57 AM
I started off using Feye's method. I always ended up trimming more than intended. Now I use a Crea Clip. I have my husband do the actual trimming. Turns out perfect every time! I'm pleased to say that I haven't seen a hairdresser for about 2 1/2 years now. Good luck and go slow. :D

Komao
July 24th, 2013, 09:24 AM
I started off using Feye's method. I always ended up trimming more than intended. Now I use a Crea Clip. I have my husband do the actual trimming. Turns out perfect every time! I'm pleased to say that I haven't seen a hairdresser for about 2 1/2 years now. Good luck and go slow. :D

Hi, when you use the crea clip do you wet your hair or do it dry? I've heard people say you should blow dry to straighten before trimming? Does your husband trim it straight across, blunt cut? Thanks for any info on crea clip as I looked at the product bud don't know anyone who has used it. Glad to see you've had success with it.