PDA

View Full Version : Curls: clockwise or anti-clockwise?

ilovelonghair
May 9th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Which way does your hair curl? The few locks in my hair that tend to spiral go anti-clockwise. I'm curious if it's the same for everybody or different.

Tornerose
May 9th, 2009, 10:50 PM
I voted both, depending on wich way I curl it.. I could have voted cheese too I guess :D

ilovelonghair
May 9th, 2009, 11:18 PM
I meant the way it curls naturally ;). I think you change that by curling your hair

Tornerose
May 9th, 2009, 11:30 PM
LoL yeah I realised that right after I voted. Hence the cheese-comment ;)
Sorry

Rohele
May 10th, 2009, 10:53 AM
I voted both. I have a double crown, so the hair swirls one way on one side, and the other way on the other.

lailmil
May 11th, 2009, 02:01 AM
I voted both..most of it curls clockwise on the left and anticlockwise on the right, but it even change verse on the same strand

RancheroTheBee
May 12th, 2009, 01:18 AM
It does both, sometimes in the same place. Or it decides to be straight that day, just to freak me out.

BBGrrl
May 12th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Mine go both ways. I get double helixs that look like DNA and then curls that go crazy grabbing everything because they twist in diffrent directions.

ilovelonghair
May 13th, 2009, 12:04 AM
I voted both. I have a double crown, so the hair swirls one way on one side, and the other way on the other.

What is a double crown?

LadyEliza
May 13th, 2009, 12:38 AM
It just goes all over the place. And there are straight bits. I don't think it knows yet...

WavyGirl
May 13th, 2009, 01:02 AM
Both. Maybe that's why I have so many problems with wearing it curly? The occasional strand curls in one direction from root to tip, but many more start out in one direction go straight in the middle and then finish in the opposite direction. The strands that do curl nicely in one direction can be both clockwise and anticlockwise. There is no rhyme or reason to the pattern that I can see. The only way I can get uniformity is to damp bun which is now my normal routine.

Niphredil
May 13th, 2009, 01:06 AM
I did a quick check though I am on 2nd day curls after wearing it in a bun tonight because of the temperature. I still had 2 good spirals on the left side of my head, one went clockwise, the other anti-clockwise........

rhodochrosite
May 13th, 2009, 05:33 AM
Some of my curls curl clockwise, some counter-clockwise.

Anlbe
May 13th, 2009, 05:42 AM
My hair only has a little bit of wave so it was hard to find out, but after careful observation I can say my hair curls clockwise on the right side of my face and counter clockwise on the left. Interesting to know - I will make sure I follow that when I rag my hair.

curls2grow
May 13th, 2009, 06:02 AM
Both for me also. I haven't seen many natural curlies (who don't use curling iron) that have all curls going one way, but then again, I don't see a whole lot of natural curlies in real life (most straighten their hair by some means).

kwaniesiam
May 13th, 2009, 06:11 AM
I'd be curious how one could tell if all of their hair really did curl the same way. I'm a straightie so I went for the cheese ;)

rhubarbarin
May 13th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Mine goes both ways, sometimes in the same curl. I also get a lot of 'double helixes'.

JamieLeigh
May 13th, 2009, 10:32 AM
WOW. That's so odd. All of mine go counter-clockwise. And I went through two washings, just to be sure before I posted.

eyesofsummer
May 13th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Mine is very snaky...it curls one way, then the other. Most of then are 's' shaped like this , but I do get defined ringlets, too. I voted "Both", because there really is a mix of direction, both with the 's' shaped ones and the spirals.

Anje
May 13th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Both, though my only curls are at the nape of my neck, where they form these little 3/4" diameter circles.

florenonite
May 13th, 2009, 11:19 AM
I voted both, though I only get curls at the nape of my neck and beside my ears. The ones beside my ears seem to curl away from my face, though.

Rohele
May 13th, 2009, 11:30 AM
What is a double crown?

Normally people have a swirl at the back to their head and the hair follicles will follow this pattern out from the swirl. From what I understand, it comes from how the skin grows over the head as a fetus is forming. As the skin closes it makes a "swirl". I have two swirls going in opposite directions which make for weird cowlicks etc. (especially at the back - makes my hair hard to style). My hair always flips and curls in one way on one side of my head and the other way on my other side. I've always attributed this to the double crown and it the resulting growth pattern of my hair, although I suppose there could be other reasons.

ETA - after reading the rest of the thread its seems many other curlies have curls going both ways, so my double crown styling issues probably don't contribute.

Monsterkitti
May 14th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Ive put both, I have a mix :)

Longhairpixie
May 14th, 2009, 02:58 PM
My hair goes both ways

zen_oven
May 17th, 2009, 07:08 PM
I voted clockwise but I get the occasional counter-clockwise or double helix curl.

Flynn
May 17th, 2009, 07:28 PM
We (boyfriend and I) were trying to work out if my boyfriend's hair was chiral... it turns out that it does have an enantiomeric excess of about 40% R. In other words, although it did spiral both ways, there was more (about 70% of it) spiralling clockwise.

curlylocks85
January 8th, 2010, 11:08 PM
I voted for "both”. My curls go in many directions. Some strands curl one way at the top, go straight, and curl the opposite way on the bottom.

I love it though. :p

JenniferNoel
January 9th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Mine mostly go counter clockwise, but about a fourth of them go clockwise.
They're weird, awesome stretched out coils. :D

RoseRedDead
January 9th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Mine go counterclockwise...

SlightlySoprano
January 9th, 2010, 06:53 PM
I never noticed until just now but BOTH! Thats cool!!! lol

curlywurlygurly
January 16th, 2010, 02:43 AM
Although my hair tends to be more s-shaped in curl pattern (i.e. wavy), especially at my current length, I have two definite sections at the nape of my neck that go different ways. My left goes clockwise and my right go anti clockwise. With a funny self-formed part in the middle.From memory when it was longer most of my curls on either side follow suit to these two at the nape. So annoying if I'm trying to finger curl for more definition because if I wrap the wrong way I actually pull out more curl then enhance it.

Rainchants
January 16th, 2010, 05:17 AM
Mine go both ways.

sft88
January 20th, 2010, 06:27 PM
My goes anti-clockwise.

meowmeow
January 20th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Mine go both ways. Some usually change direction somewhere down the length.

Amelia
May 6th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Mine curl in both ways. i'm sure thst if there was a third option it would curl that way too :p it has a will of its own, i tell you!

Dreams_in_Pink
May 8th, 2010, 03:09 PM
There's a difference?? :l

Either way, my hair does not curl, it wurls, so i voted for cheese :D

Starr
May 8th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Both, my hair curls every which way.