PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference between ...

SheWolf
May 9th, 2009, 03:19 PM
... Oiling post shampoo on damp hair, or oiling on dry hair? Which do you prefer and why?

SimplyViki
May 9th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Well, I do it either way, really. I think that the oil seems to sink into the hair a lot more when it's wet after a wash, but on the other hand, I can immediately tell if I've put too much on dry hair.

eshta
May 9th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I can only oil on dry hair, if I oil wet hair I can't seam to spread it out and it clumps together making a few oily limpy streaks in otherwise clean hair.

Heidi_234
May 9th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Mee too, I use quite a big amount on damp hair (few times actually), and then daily (even up to few times a day). My hair can never get enough coconut oil, so I run in no risk of greasy hair. For some, oiling dry hair leads to disaster. The explanation is that oil helps seal moisture in, and when there's no moisture to seal, it dries it out. I personally have good results both ways.

SimplyViki
May 9th, 2009, 03:43 PM
My hair can never get enough coconut oil, so I run in no risk of greasy hair.
Me too! My hair's the same way with coconut oil. Sometimes I think I could just keep on applying it and applying it and it still wouldn't get greasy (which isn't entirely true, of course, it just seems that way sometimes).

spidermom
May 9th, 2009, 03:45 PM
I gave up oiling damp clean hair because then all kinds of dust and fluff stuck to it, creating tangles and knots. I get better results from generously oiling dry hair several hours to a day before I plan to wash it. I get soft, well moisturized, clean hair that doesn't attract particulates out of the air.

SylphideNoir
May 9th, 2009, 03:58 PM
I only oil dry hair. It just never speads out evenly on wet hair for me.

SheWolf
May 9th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Thanks, everyone.
I asked because I, too, have run into problems oiling damp hair. I assume that the quantity used on dry hair is even smaller, right?

Longlocks3
May 9th, 2009, 05:48 PM
I just started using coconut oil this week and I do it on dry hair. I usually wash at night, let it dry overnight and the next day when I'm doing my hair I oil it. I'm worried about over oiling so I just use a tiny tiny tiny bit. It's plenty even for my hair length. I think on damp hair I would be more prone to over oiling.

SylphideNoir
May 9th, 2009, 06:04 PM
The amount you need when dry depends on your hair and the oil you're using. Generally you should start with 1/2 - 1 drop smoothed over the palms of your hands and then smoothed over your hair. Just enough to make your hands shiny. If it's not enough keep reapplying one drop at a time.

SheWolf
May 9th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Ok, I can do that. :)
Also, is oiling compatible with CO washing?

Elphie
May 9th, 2009, 06:33 PM
I oil dry hair the evening before I plan on washing it, about 1 to 2 t. of coconut oil. I also add a small amount to the last three inches of my hair after washing to keep my ends protected.

mira-chan
May 9th, 2009, 07:52 PM
I can't oil wet hair. My hair doesn't like water much (hates misting but it likes humidity) so I oil on dry to protect it not keep moisture in.

vindo
May 9th, 2009, 08:00 PM
I oil on dry hair, I think oiling on wet or damp hair is contra productive.

Moisture for hair is OIL not water, don't be confused by "water is wet".

There is a good reason why we try not to wash so often. To protect the hair. Each time we wash the hair shaft swells and is therefore in a really vulnerable condition.

Oil and water do not go together, we all know that. If you have some oil on your skin water would just pearl right off.

Damp hair still has some water in the hairshaft, by oiling it only a few of the oils molecules will actually get inside, and what is more concerning is that we have an oily film on the hairs surface which locks in the water longer, causing the hair to dry more slowly...to slow.

I stick to what nature teaches me : our scalp produces sebum in a dry state, not under water (where it gets washed away). So you can not go wrong with oiling dry hair.

How wrong or not wrong it is to oil damp hair is hard to tell....I am still trying to figure it ALL out ;)

windinherhair
May 9th, 2009, 08:07 PM
I like to apply it after I let my hair dry. I can feel how much the oil has spread over my hair better (instead of applying the wet oil over wet hair). My hair will feel more soft and smooth afterwards, and I can tell a better difference.

SheWolf
May 9th, 2009, 08:26 PM
After making sure my hair was completely dry, I used a tiny amount of coconut oil, rubbed that all over my hands, started on my ends working my way up, through and through all over.
Then I combed.
And taddaaaaah!!... It's all soft and silky, not greasy at all. It's like my hair just drank this stuff.
Now I just hope it will agree with CO washing, because I shampooed tonight so I'd rather not have to shampoo again until tuesday.

Ash
May 9th, 2009, 09:13 PM
When I used to oil dry hair, it was possible to get it out with conditioner. However, I discovered that oiling on dry hair actually damaged my hair, when I stopped oiling for a while, my hair was crispy, tangled easily, and was more prone to breaking off. It kept the moisture out in my case and I have way better luck oiling on damp hair. Everyone's hair is different, hopefully you will have better luck oiling on dry hair than I did.

SheWolf
May 9th, 2009, 09:31 PM
When I used to oil dry hair, it was possible to get it out with conditioner. However, I discovered that oiling on dry hair actually damaged my hair, when I stopped oiling for a while, my hair was crispy, tangled easily, and was more prone to breaking off. It kept the moisture out in my case and I have way better luck oiling on damp hair. Everyone's hair is different, hopefully you will have better luck oiling on dry hair than I did.

So far so good. I probably won't do this everyday, but right now it was just what my hair needed. Time will tell... :D

SylphideNoir
May 9th, 2009, 11:44 PM
You can check the polls on oiling and CO. I think the results were positive but I'm not certain.

SheWolf
May 10th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Thanks, I will. But for now, I'm off to bed. :)

Heidi_234
May 10th, 2009, 01:20 AM
I oil on dry hair, I think oiling on wet or damp hair is contra productive.

Moisture for hair is OIL not water, don't be confused by "water is wet".

There is a good reason why we try not to wash so often. To protect the hair. Each time we wash the hair shaft swells and is therefore in a really vulnerable condition.

Oil and water do not go together, we all know that. If you have some oil on your skin water would just pearl right off.

Damp hair still has some water in the hairshaft, by oiling it only a few of the oils molecules will actually get inside, and what is more concerning is that we have an oily film on the hairs surface which locks in the water longer, causing the hair to dry more slowly...to slow.

I stick to what nature teaches me : our scalp produces sebum in a dry state, not under water (where it gets washed away). So you can not go wrong with oiling dry hair.

How wrong or not wrong it is to oil damp hair is hard to tell....I am still trying to figure it ALL out ;)
I'm sorry, but water IS moisture. Why conditioners and oils are moisturizing? Because they help the hair to keep the moisture and not dry out. Water evaporates on it's own, so oiling helps the hair keep the moisture (and so do other chemicals in conditioners).
You're not living in the water, so you can't be sure if your scalp produces sebum while wet. It probably does, but not any differently than when it's not damp/wet. If oiling damp hair doesn't work for you but oiling dry works, it's all good. Different things work for different people.

Heavenly Locks
May 10th, 2009, 05:18 AM
Ok, I can do that. :)
Also, is oiling compatible with CO washing?

*raises hand*

I am a CO washer who also oils. I use coconut oil on dry hair only. I tried it wet and it was just too much and made me look greasy. Dry hair is just easier.

I will oil occasionally durning the week on my ends for a little moisture and a little shine.

Once a week I will do a heavy oiling/braid before bed the night before a wash. :)

SheWolf
May 10th, 2009, 09:25 AM
*raises hand*

I am a CO washer who also oils. I use coconut oil on dry hair only. I tried it wet and it was just too much and made me look greasy. Dry hair is just easier.

I will oil occasionally durning the week on my ends for a little moisture and a little shine.

Once a week I will do a heavy oiling/braid before bed the night before a wash. :)

Perfect, thanks! :)

Woke up this morning and my hair has never felt softer or silkier, it's unreal! Good thing I learned about oiling on dry hair now, I have a trip coming up with a long flight and I'll be outdoors 24 hours a day, I hate what that usually does to my hair.
Life's good. :)

longhairedfairy
May 10th, 2009, 09:30 AM
I apply oil to damp or wet hair because it spreads more easily so that I don't end up with greasy spots and dry spots.

Hairizona
May 10th, 2009, 11:06 AM
I was oiling my wet hair after I washed it by spraying distilled water with some Tsubaki oil ( camelia oil) on it, followed by 3-4 drops applied to my hands and then into the ends of the hair, but found that my hair was extremely poofy and frizzy afterwards. Then, I put it up for the day, and then took it down, it was even worse. I was about to give up....Then, the other day, I pulled out my boxwood comb, let it soak in Tsubaki oil for 8 hours, rubbed off the oil, and combed through my just washed and dried hair from scalp to ends, and ... marveled over the improvement! This is the way I will do it from now on. And I wash with shampoo and then condition. If anyone can tell me how to get away from shampoo, I will try it. I have tried all different conditioners on the root areas; they make my hair flat,flat,flat....

Maelyssa
May 17th, 2009, 07:12 PM
I've seem to have had nothing but bad experience with wet/damp oiling. In the end I get frizzy, tangly hair with kind of supports Emi's info on the oil & water not going together. It has looked so bad I've wanted to give up on oiling. Tried a variety of oils & different amounts all with the same bad result but when I oil on dry hair I get soft, shiny, sleek hair that I just love. For me it's all about dry oiling. :D