PDA

View Full Version : Dye saturation, How?

Alatariel
April 6th, 2008, 01:43 PM
How do you get all of your hair saturated in dye by yourself? I cannot do this. I have to have my mom help, and even she has a heck of a time with getting all the dry spots in my hair coated. (One time several years ago she missed spots, which resulted in several light-colored spots in my hair and we ended up having to go get more hair color.)

Any tips? It would be greatly appreciated!
Alatariel

Riot Crrl
April 6th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Is this like henna, or commercial dye? My advice would be different, depending on the answer to this.

Oh, I just thought of more questions. The length is somewhere mid-back I take it? I see you have 1a/1b, can you get away with combing/brushing/detangling it somehow while it's dry? That will make it easier for either mud or chemical dye. (Mine's curlier and it always goes 'Please don't comb or section me while dry OK THANKS.')

Were your main problem areas with the missed spots centered around the roots or the length or both?

amaiaisabella
April 6th, 2008, 02:18 PM
If you are using commercial dye, I would recommend applying it like shampoo. Take your gloved hands and scoop up the mixed dye, then spread around like shampoo and rub it in. I have never missed a spot that way :)

Alatariel
April 6th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Riot Crrl, It's going to be commercial dye. My hair it around 25 to 27 inches and can gett away with coming/detangling when it's dry. The problem areas were on the length.

Hey, amaiaisabella, I never would have thought of that!

Riot Crrl
April 6th, 2008, 10:39 PM
What I always did was use the applicator bottle to apply and section it at the same time. Working in about 1/4" sections, all the way from forehead down to the nape, and overapply so you can keep sort of squishing it down to the length. The length will form sort of one rope with dye in it, just put a ton on and sort of massage it in to make sure it all gets coated. Not like shampoo commercial messing with it, just enough to make sure the interior of the "rope" gets some.

Also make sure that you use enough. For your length/thickness I would use at least two boxes.

manderly
April 7th, 2008, 02:45 AM
Riot Crrl, It's going to be commercial dye. My hair it around 25 to 27 inches and can gett away with coming/detangling when it's dry. The problem areas were on the length.

Hairdressers always complimented my at-home dyejobs.

The trick is to use an applicator bottle and separate your scalp hair with the nozzle. Go all around your scalp and massage it in really well. As you start going down the length, hold your hair out (like a pigtail) and squirt some on and massage in. Once you get down past your ears or so, I start piling my hair up on top of my head and squirting it directly onto the mass of hair and massaging it in. You can get it super saturated. Definitely use 2 boxes for your length.

amaiaisabella
April 7th, 2008, 10:03 AM

I have always found that to be the easiest method, no matter the length of my hair.

If you are doing root touch up, I would follow Riot Crrl's suggestion of dividing your hair by the applicator tip, and do that first. Then you can spread the rest on your hair like I mentioned.

For the first time coloring, or if you are changing to a new color, then do the shampoo method.

Good luck! :)

missy60
April 7th, 2008, 01:04 PM
My hair dresser use to apply it to my length then comb it thru

Alatariel
April 10th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Thank you so much! :flowers: I greatly appreciate everyone's advice and am looking foward to coloring my hair soon!:grnbiggri