PDA

View Full Version : Introduction, hair history, and questions

SimplyViki
May 9th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Hi! I'm new to this place, but I've been poking around for the last couple days. I'm not sure if this was supposed to go in another section - there're more people here, so I decided to post here. Sorry if that's not kosher or something, I'm still figuring this place out!

OK, my hair is currently about waist length, and I did my best to type it, but I would absolutely welcome tips on proper typing. I'm including a pic (it's my profile pic, but it's a little bigger) of my hair under "normal" circumstances - as in, what I do after every wash, but isn't necessarily my hair as it would behave if I did nothing to it. What I do is CWC, squeeze gently, wrap in a towel until damp, comb out the tangles, and apply first coconut oil, then Infusium 23 Repairologie (it probably doesn't do anything, but I had a coupon), then an old silicone serum which I have oodles of and my hair fortunately seems to like. I then let it air dry, but I comb out any bumps that appear, so it probably looks straighter than it might if I just simply combed then air dried, but I'm not sure, cause I haven't just "let it be" in a long time.
Pic:
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g314/vharrod/IMG_3158.jpg

OK, for a sort of hair history, within the past five years or so:
I highlighted my hair twice in 2003 or 2004, and I'm not sure how much of that might be left - maybe none, but I'm not really sure. It was my current length then, but then I cut it to between chin and shoulder, and dyed it red myself. Then I went to a cheapie salon after I'd dyed it myself a few times, thinking someone else might make it a bit more even than I'd been doing, and they turned it orange! I dyed over it myself again later, and then about two years ago, my friend persuaded me to go to her hairdresser, who she said was a genius and could make me look awesome. Well, I got a cut (layers and thinning shears), dye job, highlights, and a blow dry, and a $300 bill at the end of it all. My hair was somewhere in between APL and BSL at that point. I've been growing that out ever since, with self trims or my mom's trims. I think the hairdresser did a good job choosing a color that blends reasonably with my natural color, but I can't wait to be rid of the "processed" hair.

So, lastly, questions:
What do you think my hair type is, or should I take a pic after my next wash with less "stuff" in my hair? If I need another pic, should I just wash and let it air dry, or do I go ahead and CWC as usual? Do I comb it out? Do I oil?

I'm wanting to grow it out as long as it'll go, but I want to get rid of the dyed part just as badly. Do you think I should just maintain it where it is until it's all cut off, or grow to some point and then chop off, or what? I do toy with the idea of just chopping off the processed part these days, but that'd put me just below shoulder length or so, and I'm sure I'd be heartbroken. That and my hair looks funny at that length. Now that my hair is long enough that I'm starting to think of it as long again, I'm not sure how to go about getting rid of the dyed stuff!

That's pretty much it, I guess. I get really wordy when I type. Sorry! I sing the praises of anyone who made it to the end of this thing.

kdaniels8811
May 9th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Hairtyping pic are generally of hair that is freshly washed and air dried with no product in it. I think your hair is lovely just as it is, the ends do not look damaged so why would you cut it? If it bothers you, a trim of an inch or so may help, but I think it looks great. Cannot WAIT until my hair is at waist! I am envious. Ask lots of questions, you will get lots of people with lots of opinions. But it looks to me like you are doing everything right.

SimplyViki
May 9th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Thanks! I think my ends are a little damaged, at least compared to my virgin hair. They're dryer, and take a lot of babying. I think it's partially the idea of having non-virgin hair that bothers me, it's a head thing, I guess. I just want my natural hair back! It looks in pictures kind of like a natural color fading thing, like my hair just got a little lighter in the sun over time or something, but my hair doesn't naturally look quite that warm toned.

chrissy-b
May 9th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Hi and welcome to LHC! :flower:

I agree with kdaniels8811 on the hairtyping method. Combing and adding products always makes my hair a lot straighter than it actually is. I always thought I had very straight hair, but it's actually been getting much wavier since I've been a member here.

Your hair looks really healthy so I don't think you need to cut. It's really your preference, though. About half of my hair is damaged from repeated dying, but I'm not trimming until the ends start splitting or breaking off. Using a good leave in and protecting the ends in updos keeps them soft so I can go about a year between trims. I'll cut if I need to, but I'm going for length so I do what I can to minimize additional damage.