PDA

View Full Version : Is my measuring tape crazy?

LovingLife
May 9th, 2009, 01:49 PM
My measuring tape measures two inches more than I started with (WOOHOO~!!), my hair even LOOKS longer! however when I blew it out it was exactly the same length as last year, is this because of s& ding or what? (my hair was in bad condition last year):confused:

kdaniels8811
May 9th, 2009, 01:55 PM
My tape measure shrinks and stretches! And measures differently each time. The last time I measured 23inches and I am sticking with that number. You are not alone.

SimplyViki
May 9th, 2009, 01:58 PM
My measuring tape is crazy, too. It's been getting difficult to measure my hair lately, and I've found I get results that vary by an inch or two within a day. Might be something wrong with my technique or something. :shrug: But anyway, you're certainly not the only one!

GlennaGirl
May 9th, 2009, 02:12 PM
So you're saying that un-blown, it measured two inches more than last year, but blown out straight, it was the same? Are you sure that you blew it out completely straight last year?

If you measured your natural hair last year and the natural length is two inches longer this year, then yes, you got growth.

Iylivarae
May 9th, 2009, 02:14 PM
I suppose you do one of the following:
- Not hold your tape at the same point on your forehead all the time
- Not let your tape hang straight down. If you try to pull it down, it can be that you are shifting it (it is harder if you have short hair)
- Not stretch your hair. If it is a bit wavy, the length can vary if you measure it in the curly stage.
- Not declare the same point as "end point" in each measurement. It is hard to do if you don't have a blut hemline, some times you catch longer strands, and sometimes you catch the shorter ones and get a different result.

Deimos
May 9th, 2009, 02:17 PM
That is so weird! I have the same problem, my hair definitively grew but when I measure it, it is the same length for several months :(
It is true that it is difficult to measure hair past bsl...

spidermom
May 9th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Yes, your tape measure is crazy, no doubt about it; start antipsychotic medication right away.

natt i nord
May 9th, 2009, 03:07 PM
I just ask my mother to measure, so I'm sure to get the right length :D

Heidi_234
May 9th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Yes, your tape measure is crazy, no doubt about it; start antipsychotic medication right away.
:rollin:

I found the advised LHC way of measuring very unreliable. It depends not just on how vertically straight your holding it, but also by what angle you tilt your head. So if you budge if a little, it changes quite much (not to mention how hard is to keep it and the hair stretched).
From experience, it far more reliable to measure from the front. You start at the same point of your hairline, but you measure the hair in front of your face (the way you'd check how long are your bangs by features of your face (that is nose, mouth, chin)). You have far more control this way, you see the tape, you see the hair, it's not as dependent on how your head is tilted. I had steady reliable measurement that way, I know for sure I grow 0.35" a month by this, when by the regular measuring method I jump 2" each way.

Iylivarae
May 9th, 2009, 04:39 PM
I don't have any measuring problems if I measure with the forehead-top of head-tips-method, as long as I stretch my hair. It works fine, now that it is long enough to grab it with the tape in the back...

Heavenly Locks
May 10th, 2009, 01:35 AM

I found the advised LHC way of measuring very unreliable. It depends not just on how vertically straight your holding it, but also by what angle you tilt your head. So if you budge if a little, it changes quite much (not to mention how hard is to keep it and the hair stretched).
From experience, it far more reliable to measure from the front. You start at the same point of your hairline, but you measure the hair in front of your face (the way you'd check how long are your bangs by features of your face (that is nose, mouth, chin)). You have far more control this way, you see the tape, you see the hair, it's not as dependent on how your head is tilted. I had steady reliable measurement that way, I know for sure I grow 0.35" a month by this, when by the regular measuring method I jump 2" each way.

You are my new HERO! :D

Heidi_234
May 10th, 2009, 08:09 AM
You are my new HERO! :D
:bow:
Here to save the day for another LHCer in trouble :D :lol: *superman pose*

enfys
May 10th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Another thing people do (including me now I found it) is to wear a top with a regular pattern on it, ideally horizontal stripes, and wear that to take a photo or just see from behind. It's not so scientific, but it still shows growth. It's either my hair or my tape that changed length three times within 5 minutes last time I measured; now I take a few readings and average them, and only go by that number to update my stats.

Heidi_234
May 11th, 2009, 02:35 AM
Another thing people do (including me now I found it) is to wear a top with a regular pattern on it, ideally horizontal stripes, and wear that to take a photo or just see from behind. It's not so scientific, but it still shows growth. It's either my hair or my tape that changed length three times within 5 minutes last time I measured; now I take a few readings and average them, and only go by that number to update my stats.
Shirts stretch. I tried once to mark inches on an old shirt and when I tried it on, I realized that 30" can be midback as well as waist with it, depends how I pull it down.

JamieLeigh
May 11th, 2009, 10:05 AM
It's nearly impossible to hold the measuring tape in the same place, at the exact same angle each time you measure. For one reason, when you measure new growth, your hand is further down on your body, which could inadvertently change your angle without you realizing it. *sigh* :rolleyes: This is why a lot of people on this forum use body parts as guideposts, not tape measurements.

If you feel longer, you probably are. No matter what the tape says, your body doesn't change shape that quickly and if it comes to a different spot on you, then you've grown. :)

enfys
May 11th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Shirts stretch. I tried once to mark inches on an old shirt and when I tried it on, I realized that 30" can be midback as well as waist with it, depends how I pull it down.

Hmm good point. A stiffly starched oversized shirt?

Doesn't it seem silly that in this high tech world we can't work out fow to accurately measure our hair!

MsBubbles
May 11th, 2009, 01:04 PM

Oh good! I'm happy to have that problem then.

Biggest problem I have with length-measuring is grabbing my ends around the back and accidentally pulling some hairs out :disbelief. Then when I'm done the metal bit on the end of the tape measure near inch # 1 gets stuck in my scalp hair and I end up pulling some of those out too! I have stopped measuring so much :).

Stripey top wouldn't work for me, given my superior laundry-shrinking skills. But then my hair might look like it had grown a ton.:p

Carina
May 11th, 2009, 02:12 PM

You are so funny Spidermom :).I have never measured my hair.I might start with that after reading this thread.:cheese:

lhangel9
May 15th, 2009, 09:50 PM
I've been having the same problem for months now. First it's one length, then it's longer then it's back to the original length even without my hair being cut and I don't notice very much shedding. Crazy huh?!

Debra83
May 15th, 2009, 11:05 PM
I had so many measuring problems, I just measure by PICTURES now. It has made my life wayyy easier, and the growing hair journey wayyyyyy less frustrating. :)

LovingLife
May 29th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Thanks all!

LovingLife
May 29th, 2009, 07:03 AM
My tape measure shrinks and stretches! And measures differently each time. The last time I measured 23inches and I am sticking with that number. You are not alone.

Yay! That should so be a club!! The shrinking measuring tape

LovingLife
May 29th, 2009, 07:03 AM
My measuring tape is crazy, too. It's been getting difficult to measure my hair lately, and I've found I get results that vary by an inch or two within a day. Might be something wrong with my technique or something. :shrug: But anyway, you're certainly not the only one!

Thank you! I was scared

LovingLife
May 29th, 2009, 07:04 AM
So you're saying that un-blown, it measured two inches more than last year, but blown out straight, it was the same? Are you sure that you blew it out completely straight last year?

If you measured your natural hair last year and the natural length is two inches longer this year, then yes, you got growth.

I blew it completely straight last year,
And also I have had 4 inches growth since last year

LovingLife
May 29th, 2009, 07:06 AM
I suppose you do one of the following:
- Not hold your tape at the same point on your forehead all the time
- Not let your tape hang straight down. If you try to pull it down, it can be that you are shifting it (it is harder if you have short hair)
- Not stretch your hair. If it is a bit wavy, the length can vary if you measure it in the curly stage.
- Not declare the same point as "end point" in each measurement. It is hard to do if you don't have a blut hemline, some times you catch longer strands, and sometimes you catch the shorter ones and get a different result.

I do a measurment from my scalp,
I do not stretch it because it is 3c and I want it to be longer whilist curly.
I always try to use the same strand.

Thanks anyway

LovingLife
May 29th, 2009, 07:07 AM
That is so weird! I have the same problem, my hair definitively grew but when I measure it, it is the same length for several months :(

High five!

LovingLife
May 29th, 2009, 07:08 AM

Teehee! :D Lovely joke, have some cheese:cheese:
Your hair is so beautiful, do you measure it stretched?

LovingLife
May 29th, 2009, 07:08 AM
I just ask my mother to measure, so I'm sure to get the right length :D

Good idea, getting someone else to measure it!:D

LovingLife
May 29th, 2009, 07:09 AM

I found the advised LHC way of measuring very unreliable.

Thanks so much! But I measure from my parting, which is middle

LovingLife
May 29th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Another thing people do (including me now I found it) is to wear a top with a regular pattern on it, ideally horizontal stripes, and wear that to take a photo or just see from behind.

Thank you!

Pyvsi
May 29th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Pyvsi Predicts: One day, an LHCer will have a ruler tattoo on his or her back with horizontal dotted lines.

LovingLife
June 9th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Perfect! Tatoo me up!

Misha
June 9th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Pyvsi Predicts: One day, an LHCer will have a ruler tattoo on his or her back with horizontal dotted lines.

That's funny!

My measure tape is also a bit whacko, so I just ask my DH to measure for me (and 3 times :p to be sure of the result).