PDA

View Full Version : how's your hair when dirty?

Fethenwen
May 9th, 2009, 11:54 AM
I'm bored, so I thought I'd start a discussion about dirty hair :)
I guess everybodys hair behaves a bit differently when it hasn't been washed in a few days.

My for instance for the most part tends to get reeeally slippery. I can't do anything with it. And it also starts to lie flat against my head. It's quite amazing really, it's like I have lost at least half of my hair when it starts to get really oily. Today is just one of those days. Good thing I'm not going anywhere. And this is not just because I'm on WO, this tends to happen whatever my hair regime is.

So how's yours?

Heavenly Locks
May 9th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Mine likes to get 'clumpy' and not lie smoothly at all! Bleh! I also will get these crazy itches at the nape of my neck. I also get greasy for the first 3-4 inches at the roots and nowhere else...unless it's dirty for a long time.

Arctic
May 9th, 2009, 12:04 PM
My hair gets uncombable and tangly, just horrid. And the scalp cleavage is bad when it's dirty.

florenonite
May 9th, 2009, 12:06 PM
My hair gets shiny, it holds its form more, and my scalp gets itchy. My hair also tends to separate more, so it's lucky it's thick!

Also, I like the tags :p

HairColoredHair
May 9th, 2009, 12:11 PM
My gets shiny and holds better and then it gets clumpy but still holds better. :) Then it gets slick and such, if I let it go that long.

myotislucifugus
May 9th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Mine is sort of like Heavenly Locks, my length stays nice, if it gets a bit thin, but my first 3-4 inches get soaked in grease, and get clumpy and stringy. Instead of a nice head of hair, it looks like string along my skull. Not a good look. And it won't lie evenly smooth, so it looks like I have bald patches. Thus, the washing.

Anje
May 9th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Mine starts to get a bit piecey at the scalp, and the ends usually start to get a bit dry and tangly around the same time. My ends also tend to be full of cat fuzz by that point.

rhubarbarin
May 9th, 2009, 12:24 PM
My hair manages somehow to be both stringy and frizzy when it needs a wash. I would LOVE to have hair that got smooth and shiny when it was greasy!

amaiaisabella
May 9th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Beyond the "nice" dirty (if there is such a thing) when it holds better in updos (the first 2-3) days, it will start shedding madly and the cowlick I have at the back of my head will become visible, even with combing. It doesn't tend to get greasy, though, just a little heavier at the roots, if that makes sense.

Copasetic
May 9th, 2009, 12:29 PM
My curls loosen up a lot, so that they are just waves. It also gets a lot smoother, and is way easier to style. I love my dirty hair :D

fairydust
May 9th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Mine gets stringy, slippery, and flat. And darker. Like yours, Fenethwen, my hair too seems a lot thinner when oily. Oh, and if I've slept with slightly oily hair, it sticks every which way it wants to and won't come down until I wash it. I don't really have much tolerance for my own oily hair.

Magicknthenight
May 9th, 2009, 12:46 PM
When i wash my hair it feels thicker and fluffier. But as time passes it calms down and when i don't wash it then it gets really soft along the length. My scalp however when i don't wash for a while gets very greasy. It does get shiny and its not so horrible looking really except for my bangs. They get all separated and ewe. Then i wash because my scalp itches or i get some flakes. But over all i think my hair really thins down and feels a lot softer a little while after washing.

Leneveu
May 9th, 2009, 12:53 PM
My hair gets shiny, it holds its form more, and my scalp gets itchy.

I'm just the same! I also find that my waves become more defined, and my hair colour gets darker!

Calista
May 9th, 2009, 12:54 PM
My hair gets flatter and less fluffy but feels thicker/coated at the same time. I have to brush really well at night (your legendary 100 brush strokes) to move my oils down the length, or else I will have a very greasy scalp and dry length.

Themyst
May 9th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Mine just gets flat and greasy looking, ew.

Speckla
May 9th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Mine deflates like a popped balloon. I have no volume and my hair hangs limp and kinda looks like a bird's nest.

Forever_Sophie
May 9th, 2009, 01:12 PM
My hair gets limp, greasy roots...

spidermom
May 9th, 2009, 01:22 PM
My scalp itches, my hair gets dull all over, and I begin to hate it and want to hack it off with the weed whip. Then I know it's time to wash.

SimplyViki
May 9th, 2009, 01:25 PM
I have to say first, I guess, that I am always a little confused by what exactly constitutes "dirty hair". Especially in some of those instructions on hairstyles in magazines and stuff, where they'll say things like "this style works best on unwashed hair", or "best on really dirty hair", and I'm like... OK so in fashion magazine terms, do they mean the evening after you've washed? The day after? I don't know where on the continuum of my hair's behavior after a wash they mean!

But anyway... I'm not sure if that makes any sense. I'm going to guess you mean hair when it needs washing. My hair just before a wash is OK from the ears down, but my roots are all greasy and stick together. I have to smooth it with a brush to put it in any kind of updo without it clumping together and making it obvious my hair is dirty. And my scalp gets a little itchy, lately, too. I'm not sure what's up with that, but it is a great relief to wash it. I wash my hair about every 3 days or so, sometimes a little longer, but that's about average.

LittleOrca
May 9th, 2009, 01:29 PM
When my hair is dirty my ends are less manageable, my scalp is more oily so the hair closer to my scalp looks oily or even wet (eww), and my hair gets straighter and loses my waves. I love them too much to lose them! *Cuddles her waves*

Carolyn
May 9th, 2009, 01:30 PM
It gets piecy and greasy near the roots. The scalp gets itchy by the end of the second day after washing. I have to slick it back smooth into a bun for it to look decent at all. It gets an "old" smell. Yuck! The length gets dull. My shine goes away. The slip goes away after a couple days. The ends get dried out and crunchy, like they need moisture which they do. It's not a good thing :p

AmyJorgensen
May 9th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Uggg. My hair gets stringy, dull, darker in color, greasy, and odd smelling.

Atalaya05
May 9th, 2009, 01:51 PM
When my hair gets really dirty, parts of it look like I just got out of the shower and it never dried. What's worse, the length gets fluffier and fluffier the dirtier it gets, my hair sticks to my scalp and separates, and I get 10x the flyaways. It also feels really dry and almost crunchy, but oily at the same time. It's hard to explain, but I hate it.

Also, this is still happening on day 2 after washing. Ugh.

eshta
May 9th, 2009, 01:51 PM
My scalp gets really itchy and the first few inches are very oily and piecey. The length is not affected, the ends maybe are a bit drier?

I have to comb with a fine toothed comb to get it to look somewhat decent in up do's. That makes the hair on my scalp really flat, not a good look for me, much to stern.

Dreamernz
May 9th, 2009, 02:08 PM
My roots get really greasy and even the length starts getting a bit piecy, also extremely static!!!! I can't brush it more than once as, though it's straight, it goes poof as if I'm touching a van der graaf generator (I did that once with long hair....people took pictures.....it was horrible:( shudder.....the condition of my hair afterwards I mean, even with brushing), and as with magicinthenight, even after one day the fringe becomes a nightmare, I have to use hairspray :(

GlennaGirl
May 9th, 2009, 02:10 PM
I don't like dirty-dirty hair, but my hair is a lot easier to handle when it's not freshly washed. Day Three is a great day because the bangs will go back if I want them to, or stay more forward than I want them to, and I need fewer hair pins, interestingly.

After Day Three it all falls apart and I know it's time to CO.

ImperfectBrat
May 9th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Piecy, oily/greasy at the roots, darker and flat.

Currently dealing with it from a heavy oil that didn't wash out all the way *blech*

vampodrama
May 9th, 2009, 02:36 PM
dull, very greasy at the roots, piecey, scalp showing through all over the place. it's very obvious when I haven't washed it.

Ndnlady
May 9th, 2009, 03:01 PM
My hair gets really oily and when I put it in an updo it looks all slicked back, but then my scalp gets really itchy too.

Eden Iris
May 9th, 2009, 05:43 PM
My hair looks great when it's dirty. It holds styles better, too. However, my scalp starts itching like crazy, to the point where I would be doing damage to my hair and scalp from all the scratching. That's really the only reason I wash on a regular basis.

Anlbe
May 9th, 2009, 06:00 PM
I didn't realise I was so lucky. I wouldn't say my hair is ever 'dirty' is gets more oily but doesn't go stringy or make my scalp itch, in an updo it actually looks quite good and stays up as if it were glued. If I don't wash it after about ten days I'll add coconut oil to the ends - then it really is quite oily overall but when up it still looks good and for some reason that stops it getting the slightly musty smell it would otherwise acquire.

JamieLeigh
May 9th, 2009, 06:17 PM
When my hair is ready to be washed, the few inches nearest my scalp will be fairly oily, and I'll get curlie-q's in the halo of short hairs around my face. :rolleyes:

It seems that my length always looks its shiniest and healthiest, though, when my hair is dirty. LOL.

shadowclaw
May 9th, 2009, 06:27 PM
I despise my dirty hair! I've never gone more than four days without a wash, but the length of my hair always stays fairly nice when it's dirty, as long as I don't turn too much in my sleep. If I do, it starts going every which way and gets a little fluffy, which is hard to fix without a wash.

As for my roots, they get pretty greasy after a day. Day 2 is usually ok, but by the morning of day 3, my roots get very dark and greasy-looking. When I pull my hair back, the roots will be very piecy and my scalp will show through in many places. The oil from my scalp also likes to make its way onto my forehead about midway through day 2, and will get all over my face at night when I sleep. Not fun. If there's anything I don't like more than greasy roots, it's a greasy face!

lora410
May 9th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Mine gets itchy and really uncomfortable feeling.

vindo
May 9th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Mine starts looking really moist, almost like I have a bit of oil in it but not dirty. It is much less slippery and sticks away from my scalp more than usual, and of course it is a little stringy...but more like chunky stringy, big clumps ^^
I feel really comfortable with it and my scalp is very happy.

It is in the perfect condition for hairstyles, and because it is sticky I can do anything from messy to sleek :D
Freshly washed my hair does not hold any style.

MsBubbles
May 9th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Clean: blonde, airy-feeling, slippery, impossible to put up.

Dirty (aka '2nd day' :p): black oil-slick on my head, heavy-feeling, itches like the devil, and easy to put up.

viking_quest
May 9th, 2009, 07:07 PM
My scalp becomes shiny, will piece into small clumps, will smell, itches after a while and it lies flat so I always wear it up. My length becomes really smooth and fluffy and nice though. I wish my scalp would behave like my length. My waves also die on the second day after I wash my hair.

mira-chan
May 9th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Mine gets drier and drier if I don't add oil. I get scalp buildup, kind of like a layer on top the skin and my scalp starts to itch.

Lixie
May 9th, 2009, 08:16 PM
My hair gets oily to the bottom of my ears about four days after washing. I also get more tangles caused by bits of lint, whereas my clean hair tangles are mostly from splits. The ends of my hair sometimes feel drier, but I'm trying to combat that with frequent trims (maintaining at classic).

Although my hair stays up better when oilier, I hate the feeling of oily scalp hair and 'clean' length so I usually wash every third day. If I am lazy enough not to have washed my hair by the third day, I tend to try and disguise my oily scalp hair with a cloth hairband or folded bandana. I'm not sure if I'm fooling anyone though. :p

AnnaMarie
May 9th, 2009, 10:57 PM
It gets really soft, softest near the roots. Its quite smooth and braids beautifully, When its out it goes quite straight and is shiny. My scalp does get a little itchy. I really like my hair "dirty" I don't mind the smell of my sebum. But I wash it when I start to worry that other people can smell it :o

ilovelonghair
May 9th, 2009, 11:08 PM
My roots get all icky, I hate the feeling of greasy roots, it's kind of itchy and it feels like I'm ill (when I'm ill my hair becomes oily and rebellious). My hair starts to lie flat against my head and the lenght gets really dry. My hair likes water! So I wash every 3 days.

Wanderer09
May 9th, 2009, 11:10 PM
3 or 4 days after washing, my curls have usually turned into waves. My hair is limp but not overly greasy except for the roots. My scalp gets itchy build-up, and because of the greasiness of the roots I get scalp cleavage too...kind of annoying. :(

My dirty hair is soft though, and it holds styles so much better! There's also less frizz.

Medievalhair
May 9th, 2009, 11:12 PM
My roots get all icky, I hate the feeling of greasy roots, it's kind of itchy and it feels like I'm ill (when I'm ill my hair becomes oily and rebellious). My hair starts to lie flat against my head and the lenght gets really dry. My hair likes water! So I wash every 3 days.

Mine does the same thing ilovelonghair. And I'm glad I'm not only one.

masterofmidgets
May 10th, 2009, 12:42 AM
3rd-4th day after washing, it starts to get pretty awful. :( Close to the scalp it goes greasy and piecy, and past my ears it is dry and frizzy. It just looks terrible, and it doesn't feel very good either. Which would be why I'm still washing 3x a week, even though I'd like to cut out one day.

fishwich
May 10th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Mine gets clumpy and stringy and two or three shades darker. If I let it go long enough I can comb it into a really gross, stiff, grease-helmet.

lynnala
May 10th, 2009, 03:09 AM
Mine gets stringy and flat, then on about day three or four, I put rice powder on it and it becomes perfect! Then it goes flat again and then I wash it, then it gets stringy and flat.....

Dorothea
May 10th, 2009, 05:49 AM
I have two kinds of "dirty" hair. Mildly dirty hair is excellent. It behaves well, it holds a style, and when I get out of bed in the morning I don't worry that my hair has rearranged itself in some terrible way while I was asleep.

But fully dirty hair is no good at all. Greasy, icky roots.

Tornerose
May 10th, 2009, 06:47 AM
mine gets even flatter, looks dull and greasy...
But my bangs looks they best when greasy though, they naturally fall how I want them to.

LadyLongLocks
May 10th, 2009, 07:03 AM
As it gets dirty/oily it gets many shades darker on top. Buns still work ok. Now is when I can play with the part if I want to side part it.Otherwise the part is always centered and and won't side part at all. My scalp gets more itchy. I CWC about every 4 days but an trying to go 5 or 6 more often. Sometimes I take the ends of my hair and and rub it into my scalp to get the oils on ends. I go the direction of the hair, like combing the top but using hair. My hair isn't too bad when oily, it's shiny and straight yet flatter and darker.

Rohele
May 10th, 2009, 10:41 AM
My hair is quite oily, and my scalp starts to feel oily about 12 hours after washing.

Day 1 (morning after washing) - still looks clean, can wear it down or in 1/2 up if I like

Day 2 - can tell it's dirty if its down, top 3-4 inches are starting to get very oily and quite piece-y, bottom seems dry and frizzy, waves are starting to disappear. Still looks good if I put it completely up. The colour is much darker near the roots. Usually I will wash it at the end of day 2.

Day 3 (if I didn't wash on day 2) - Hair is obviously oily, and starts to separate into obvious pieces near the scalp. When I comb it, you can see comb marks through my hair (I don't know if that makes sense - the hair seperates into bits where the teeth of the comb pulled through). You can tell it's dirty, even when it is up. I feel at this point it's starting to smell like dirty hair. Scalp is starting to get flaky and itchy and uncomfortable and I spend the whole day wishing I washed the night before.

I have never got beyond day three without washing unless I've been very ill (ie in the hospital).

My hair behaves worse when it is dirty - it's not very slippery, even when it's freshly clean, updos are no problem (I guess due to the waves), so I find I don't have any benefits in that way. I'm always amazed at anyone who can go for a week without washing and still have decent hair - I wish my hair was that way.

dolcevita
May 10th, 2009, 11:09 AM
I have to wash every other day or else my scalp gets itchy and the roots are very noticeably greasy - no matter what I've tried :(

NeilTheFuzz
May 10th, 2009, 12:20 PM
If my scalp gets a bit greasy, which happens pretty much only in summer, I end up brushing and my hair looks a bit like I've used a very small amount of hair gel over my whole head. It sorta sticks my hair down. It's nasty. Most the time though, my hair disguises any dirtiness very well.