PDA

View Full Version : How to stop the splits?

dontcallmejessi
April 6th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Ok, I was outside yesterday and just happened to be checking out my ends. WOW I have a TON of splits.:shocked::rant: Almost every strand! I have no idea what i am still doing so wrong to cause this. I haven't used a hair dryer, curling iron or other heating appliance in years. I have lengthened my washings from nearly daily to now only 1-2 times a week ever since joining LHC. I feel like I really baby my hair now. I do some type of deep treatment pretty much every week. I oil my hair almost everyday. I use a microfiber towel. I am much gentler with my hair and usually only use a wide toothed comb instead of a brush since my hair is wavy and pretty fine. I wear it up most of the time too. All that work for nothing!:rolleyes: I notice so many of you don't even S&D let alone trim and you all still have fabulously healthy hair. So what in the world can I still be doing so wrong? Is it just inevitable that fine hair is going to split? I am considering trying to wear my hair in a scarf or something at night. Would this help? Is there anything else i can do to help?

Lamb
April 6th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I do some type of deep treatment pretty much every week. I oil my hair almost everyday.
If you have noticed that your ends are getting a bit dry/more fragile, perhaps cutting back on the oiling/deep treatments would be a good idea to avoid buildup. My hair seemed to respond well to oil in the beginning - but then I noticed it was doing more harm than good.

Is it just inevitable that fine hair is going to split?
Alas, I can relate. My fine hair is very prone to splits, too. :shrug: I would say, if you notice a lot of them, don't bother S&Ding, get a trim (0.5-1") and work from there. Do you use a silk/satin pillowcase?
Also, take a look at shampoo/conditioner ingredients, even if you only wash once or twice a week. Harsh sulfates weaken the hair. Also, do you use cones? Some people have reported dryness/breakage because of them.

Meli
April 6th, 2008, 01:45 PM
I second that you check your shampoo/conditioner. My hair is also fine and split-prone, and I have noticed that I get way less splits when I don't use sulfates. And cones cause buildup and breakage on my hair - and broken ends are more likely to split than cut ends, which makes the problem worse. I'll probably never be completely split-free, but since I quit using sulfates and cones I can at least keep them at bay. You may also want to check the catnip for split ends-thread here. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=476)

Isilme
April 6th, 2008, 01:52 PM
are you using too much protein products? Protein makes my hair dry and fragile. Or do you have damage left from before LHC hair treatment? Like colour or ripping a brush trough your hair?

dontcallmejessi
April 6th, 2008, 02:16 PM
If you have noticed that your ends are getting a bit dry/more fragile, perhaps cutting back on the oiling/deep treatments would be a good idea to avoid buildup. My hair seemed to respond well to oil in the beginning - but then I noticed it was doing more harm than good.

Alas, I can relate. My fine hair is very prone to splits, too. :shrug: I would say, if you notice a lot of them, don't bother S&Ding, get a trim (0.5-1") and work from there. Do you use a silk/satin pillowcase?
Also, take a look at shampoo/conditioner ingredients, even if you only wash once or twice a week. Harsh sulfates weaken the hair. Also, do you use cones? Some people have reported dryness/breakage because of them.

A trim is pretty much out of the question. I let the lady at the salon talk me into getting it layered last time. I hate it. It looks more flat and thin now than it did before even though layering is supposed to do the opposite. But I don't think I can trim my own hair with it layered. At least not all of it, only the bottom layer. Unless I S&D which I kind of already did a little due to the sheer shock and horror at all the splits I couldn't help myself but to do something!

I do use a clarifying shampoo about once a month to prevent buildup. Is this not enough? I have been wanting to try the satin pillowcase thing. I made one for each of my little girls when they were just babies because their baby hair would just rub off on the pillow. I bought a silk scarf thing I'm going to try for at night. Yes I use cones. Don't know about sulfates. What would the ingredient be on the bottle, just "sulfate"?

My hair appears to love oils and protein but maybe I am overdoing it. I didn't know you could overdo it with these if your hair likes it.

Lamb
April 6th, 2008, 02:40 PM
A trim is pretty much out of the question. I let the lady at the salon talk me into getting it layered last time. I hate it. It looks more flat and thin now than it did before even though layering is supposed to do the opposite. But I don't think I can trim my own hair with it layered. At least not all of it, only the bottom layer. Unless I S&D which I kind of already did a little due to the sheer shock and horror at all the splits I couldn't help myself but to do something!
Wait - did the lady use razors? She didn't, did she? That would encourage splits. Also, in my experience layered ends split more easily, they seem to be more exposed.

I do use a clarifying shampoo about once a month to prevent buildup. Is this not enough?
If you oil daily, I would suggest clarifying more often. Only my suggestion, mind!

Yes I use cones. Don't know about sulfates. What would the ingredient be on the bottle, just "sulfate"?
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate.
Cones - well, oils and cones together (or even separately) are too much for some people (myself included). Try going for two weeks without cones and see what happens!

girlcat36
April 6th, 2008, 02:47 PM
My hair is fine and fragile, but doesn't break or split since I stopped using cones.

Stagecoach
April 6th, 2008, 03:03 PM
I have the same problem... loads of splits and no reason... that I can find. My hair is nearly totaly virgin... I've never washed more than twice a week, never used a blow dryer or curling iron more than once a year, but I still have loads of splits.

Right now, I'm experimenting with catnip rinses. There's a thread on the boards about it, and it supposedly helpless get rid of split ends. I'll go find the link for you.

Here's the Link! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=476)

ETA: I tried protien/no protien, cones/no cones, lots of oil/no oil, brushing/combing, up all the time/down most of the time.... nothing has affected it. My hair just splits a lot.

Wavelength
April 6th, 2008, 03:07 PM
It might be seasonal, in part. I've noticed that my hair gets a lot less splits in the warmer months, but that winter is pretty drying on my hair because of indoor heating. Every spring I'm faced with a ton of splits, and that's when I usually trim.

jojo
April 6th, 2008, 03:22 PM
I think that sometimes no matter what you do,you will get splits. my hair is fine too and splits very easily despite me treating it well.

I find that putting coconut oil on the ends and then putting it up really helps me, also i use sulphate free shampoos. I clarify just once a week and do a deep conditioning straight after.

peachy.pudding
April 6th, 2008, 03:28 PM
I found i had splits to, but once the new growth came when i joined, i had no splits. If you carry on treating your hair right in a year or so you can have some beautiful growth split free

littlemiss
April 6th, 2008, 04:27 PM
I think and feel that with long hair comes split ends part and parcel, we can try the best to reduce them and stop them but they will come again. Long hair and splits ends go hand in hand.

dontcallmejessi
April 6th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Lamb, No she did not use a razor. Holey crap every one of my shampoos has the second ingredient Sodium Laureth Sulfate! They must be loaded with this stuff. So this is very bad poo :shudder: I'm so glad someone has told me this. I had no idea! Even my clarifying poo has it as 2nd ingredient! So I guess ending my relationship with sulfate will be my first most crucial step! Next will be saying no to cones. So as long as I oil regularly I don't need any cones ever?

Girlcat that is really good to know there is hope for fine hair. Anything I should do to prepare my hair or how do I rid of the cones to start fresh? do I just need to find a conefree clarifying shampoo first? Are there any good cheapie conefree's out there? like suave or something. and what's a good conefree clarifying poo?

Stagecoach, thanks for the link. I'm gonna check that out now.

Wow I thought i was doing so good for my hair. Now I feel like I'm still doing everything wrong. I'm glad you all are here to set me straight! You gals and guys are awesome! :cheese:

Legend
April 6th, 2008, 10:59 PM
To prevent splits, I use TIGI Ego Boost Split End Mender. It's brilliant! Of course, nothing actually repairs ends once they’ve split, but this stuff helps prevent new splits from forming. It’s a leave-in conditioner just for the ends. I haven't had to trim in nearly two years!

http://www.amazon.com/TIGI-BedHead-Mender-8-Ounce-Bottles/dp/B000FKLLOY

Riot Crrl
April 7th, 2008, 12:12 AM
If you are giving up sulfates and cones, my advice is not to do so in that order.

Some cones are only removed by sulfates. You don't want to keep them on there forever. Let a last really thorough sulfate shampooing be your final goodbye to these.

Elenna
April 7th, 2008, 01:57 AM
You are all saying that length = splits. I remember having long UNDYED hair with splits. Oh well! I have splits and white dots which are driving me batty.

Curlsgirl
April 7th, 2008, 07:25 AM
I didn't get splits until I got to a length probably about BSL (27 inches for me). Now I still don't have that many.

Cones or sulfates don't necessarily cause splits so I wouldn't rush to change everything at once or panic because your shampoos have sulfates in them. I use sulfates and they work very well for me. I use sulfate shampoo diluted and put conditioner on my length before pouring it on my scalp. Then I use a heavier conditioner from the ears down. This is called CWC with a diluted shampoo. I always use a moisturizing leave-in.

My advice is to perhaps change one product at a time to see if you notice any improvement. You CAN definitely use too much protein. Most people tend to err on the "lack of enough moisture" side. There should be a good balance.

Instead of doing a blunt trim, you can ask a stylist to trim the bottom and the layers too. Just make sure to SHOW them how much you want trimmed from both. If you want your layers to catch up just get a little more trimmed from the length. If you don't trim, the splits can travel up the hair shaft causing more damage. Just me 2 cents.

Also is it possible your stylist could have used less than sharp scissors?

girlcat36
April 7th, 2008, 12:09 PM
I stopped using cones first then a few months later dropped sulfates. I am now cone, sulfate, protein and alcohol free. I use Chagrin Valley shampoo bars, and a basic conditioner that has only three ingredients in it. I do color my hair, though.

Gulbahar
April 7th, 2008, 02:15 PM
I have split hairs no matter what I do. It's not even the longest hairs that are split or broken, but the ones that stick out of my braid and rub on my back or on the pillow when I sleep. That's just the way it is with fine hair. :shrug:

luciole
April 7th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Maybe you have a thyroid problem:

"It is widely believed that thyroid sufferers lose hair due to decreased metabolism in the scalp follicles, resulting in early release of the shaft, root and all. sometimes the hair becomes just too brittle, and there is a great deal of loss from split ends and breakage."

http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/shames-hairloss.htm

dontcallmejessi
April 8th, 2008, 08:51 PM
I found i had splits to, but once the new growth came when i joined, i had no splits. If you carry on treating your hair right in a year or so you can have some beautiful growth split free

So what you are saying that it is the old growth (from when I was terribly rough with my hair) that is the part that is getting so easily damaged. Well that makes since. I WAS horribly cruel even if I didn't use heat or dye to kill my hair I found other means :hatchet:that were just as brutal. But I'd still like to somehow stop it from splitting over and over again so that i can grow it out.

Also I took another closer look at my shampoos and conditioner. I'm not so sure now that they even contain cones. They are shine enhancing so it seems to me that they would have to contain cones. I don't know what these ones are. they end in -one, METHYLCHLOROISOTHIAZOLINONE, and METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE. Are they cones? Now I know these have sulfate in them, but can they also have cones? On another note to my surprise I noticed that one of my poos actually contains SUGAR! How strange. And this serves what purpose... :ponder: :shrug:

frizzinator
April 8th, 2008, 09:50 PM
If S & D is not a regular habit, then of course you will find a lot of splits initially. If you S & D once a week, after a few weeks you will not encounter so many splits at one time.

Fine hair breaks easily, and you may never be able to completely avoid it. I believe less hair is broken if you wait until it is completely dry before combing. Always untangle hair starting at the bottom and work your way up when finger-combing, combing or brushing.

When making an updo, try to avoid twisting hair too tight (such as in making a figure eight bun) and be extra careful with a hair toy you haven't used much.

A silk pillowcase and a silk sleep hat will help, as will putting the hair up in a different place every night (and day) to prevent too much breakage in the same place.

Elfling
April 8th, 2008, 10:00 PM
So what you are saying that it is the old growth (from when I was terribly rough with my hair) that is the part that is getting so easily damaged. Well that makes since. I WAS horribly cruel even if I didn't use heat or dye to kill my hair I found other means :hatchet:that were just as brutal. But I'd still like to somehow stop it from splitting over and over again so that i can grow it out.

Also I took another closer look at my shampoos and conditioner. I'm not so sure now that they even contain cones. They are shine enhancing so it seems to me that they would have to contain cones. I don't know what these ones are. they end in -one, METHYLCHLOROISOTHIAZOLINONE, and METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE. Are they cones? Now I know these have sulfate in them, but can they also have cones? On another note to my surprise I noticed that one of my poos actually contains SUGAR! How strange. And this serves what purpose... :ponder: :shrug:

Those are not cones; they are preservatives to keep your shampoo from molding or growing things or otherwise going bad.

Sulfates aren't inherently bad, in my book; it depends on what your hair likes, your water type, etc. I have extremely hard water and fine hair; if I use a non-sulfate shampoo I have to wash every day. I tend to use a shampoo with ammonium sulfates every other day instead and that works better for me.

heidi w.
April 9th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Splits happen. Those who have limited experience with growing long are very surprised by having splits. Even with the best of care, splits will happen. What matters is where your splits are located. For the average well-cared-for head of hair, the majority of splits should be in approximately the ends of the length, around the last 1-3 inches, give or take depending on length. Some will still appear throughout the length even so, but the bulk should be on the ends.

You mention getting layers in. Typically to create layers they have to use a razor to 'thin' the hair so it will lay properly in this format. This means, then, that the cuticle, the protective barrier to the whole hair strand(s) is removed or deeply dug into. This means hair's integrity is greatly compromised; the cortex exposed, and the likelihood of splits will increase exponentially throughout the whole head of hair.

I have never known oiling, deep conditioning and the like to specifically cause splits. Buildup doesn't cause splits as far as I am aware. Think of it this way: buildup means you have all this stuff on your hair, a kind of protector, so, it denigrating the hair isn't necessarily a correlative. What does happen in buildup is that conditioner is a bit less effective and the texture of hair can become tacky or even a little rough feeling. But if you clarify as you do, that is not your issue. The only time deep conditioning MIGHT be an issue is if you have a porosity issue. (This situation is more common for folks who color or perm or otherwise apply chemical process treatments to the hair though.) Your profile presented in this thread doesn't fit that parameter, so I won't go into it.

Now you know why I recommend "S&D" activities be done in strong light, sunlight being the best.

I have beyond knee length hair, and I have splits. A photo or even in person my hair is generally healthy and nice looking, but don't let that fool you into thinking I have no splits whatsoever. I just have a kind of arrangement about what I tolerate. I possess very fine hair.

When necessary I do have trims, one rather recently, and this removed the oldest bits on the tippy ends and made a nice hemline. I feel a lot better about my hair having done that.

My money's on that the layering, and the method of creating layers, is what has caused the splits. Not oiling/conditioning (etc), not anything you did wrong, not buildup.

The unfortunate news is the only way to rid of splits is to remove them. I recommend organizing a plan to grow out these lengths and thus slowly and incrementally remove the damage.

heidi w.