PDA

View Full Version : Whats wrong with my hair? (picture)

scata999
May 8th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Hey, Im a guy so I know I shouldn't be worrying about my hair but its really abnormal and has a huge toll on my self esteem. Im posting here for feedback since there seems to be lots of hair experts here. When I was a kid my hair was very fine and nice looking but when I turned 13 it started growing in thick and "stiff", and poofy most of all. Ive looked at the strands and they're not that thick so I don't understand what makes it grow this way. Im starting to wonder if Im suffering some nutrient deficiency or genetic defect because neither of my parents nor grandparents nor siblings have hair like this.
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/9986/h1edit.jpg
http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/6132/h2edit.jpg

Gumball
May 8th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Depending on your age it could just be good ol' hormones. I had almost straight hair once, then wavy, then really curly, then wavy again, and now I'm at the slightly curly stage in my life. Sometimes hair types change. If it sticks out like you said and in the pictures you showed, then for it to stop doing that you'll either need a product or more length since weight will help a lot. That was how some of us wavy/curly headed people got past the dreaded "triangle hair" stage. That stage came after the "anti-gravity hair" stage.

Ndnlady
May 8th, 2009, 11:09 PM
There is nothing wrong with your hair from what I see, it actually looks very healthy.
I have a guy friend who's hair grows just like yours. It is very fine and soft but when he grows it out it sticks straight up (and I mean straight up, like no hair gel to make it that way), it just has a lot of body. When his hair gets long it starts laying down because of the weight of the long hair. If you are trying to grow your hair out it will most likely lay flat when it's longer.

Welcome to the boards by the way!

Roseate
May 8th, 2009, 11:11 PM
My hair looks exactly like that when it is cut short. It sticks straight up until it is about 3" long, I look like I've stuck my finger in a socket! Short hair is not a good look for me, maybe not you either?

Many people experience changes in hair texture as they mature. I don't think you have a nutrient deficiency, just thick hair! Nothing wrong with that. My hair gets softer and more flexible when it is adequately moisturized, and you'll find lots of suggestions on here for how to do that.

Welcome to LHC! We do have a small but valued contingent of males on the board, so don't worry about being a guy who cares about your hair, you won't get any bother about that here!

Gumball
May 8th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Welcome to LHC! We do have a small but valued contingent of males on the board, so don't worry about being a guy who cares about your hair, you won't get any bother about that here!

Darn right! :disco:

scata999
May 8th, 2009, 11:15 PM
There is nothing wrong with your hair from what I see, it actually looks very healthy.
I have a guy friend who's hair grows just like yours. It is very fine and soft but when he grows it out it sticks straight up (and I mean straight up, like no hair gel to make it that way), it just has a lot of body. When his hair gets long it starts laying down because of the weight of the long hair. If you are trying to grow your hair out it will most likely lay flat when it's longer.

Welcome to the boards by the way!

Thanks.
But let me articulate a bit more on what my hair is like. It feels like a brush. It feels so stiff and running a comb through it does nothing, it will just jolt back up to its initial position. Im not trying to be vain, I just have very little self esteem due to my hair. Its sort of an obsession, I notice other peoples hair and imagine how much better my life would be if I had "normal" hair. I know it sounds childish but its just a huge insecurity for me. I try to keep hope that one day the texture will change but I doubt it..

Speckla
May 8th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Mine gets softer and less stiff as it gets longer.

scata999
May 8th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Ive never told anyone about my insecurity but honestly I feel like a mutant when around people with normal hair, I would never leave the house without gel or a hat.

I'll take that back it just makes me sound crazy, I'll just say that its a big hangup. :(

Gumball
May 8th, 2009, 11:19 PM
There is no normal hair. Hair is like a kaleidoscope. The pieces fall differently for everybody. Your hair likely has a hair twin somewhere out there in the world. I kept my hair really short all through middle school and most of high school because when it got longer it would just do what it wanted and not what I wanted it to do. That really changed with care and length. You just have to try and make the most of what you've got. We can help a lot with that, both with support, tips, encouragement, etc. :)

Speckla
May 8th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Ive never told anyone about my insecurity but honestly I feel like a mutant when around people with normal hair, I would never leave the house without gel or a hat.

There's no such thing as "normal" hair. Your hair looks thick and very healthy. There is nothing mutant or abnormal about those pictures.

Everyone has different types of hair. Mine's really curly and I look like a poodlehead sometimes but that's ok because poodles are cute.:cheese:

Peter
May 8th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Your hair looks great. Some people just have a hair type such that it sticks up like that when it's short. It's perfectly normal, and it'll lay flatter once it gets longer. :)

Roseate
May 8th, 2009, 11:28 PM

I didn't leave the house without one or both of those for the year after I shaved my head. I doubt your hair texture will change, but you can work with it! It will eventually lay down when it gets long enough. You may have to cling to that gel and hat for a year or so, but you'll get there!

You are not a mutant. I will see if I can dig up one of my short hair pictures and prove it to you. (Though I really may have destroyed them all.) I had the brush-head, and my head is really round, and I'm an awkward girl anyway, so I'll bet I win the mutant-race.

jezebel17
May 9th, 2009, 12:00 AM
I think your hair is very normal.I see alot of guys with your type of hair all the time.My friend has your type of hair and I loved touching it.His hair was very fine and straight and felt like a soft porcupine lol.Try not to feel so down about it.I love your kind of hair, and Im sure other girls do too.

Nes
May 9th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Hmm..

It make me worry to hear how much this is upsetting you. Part of the problem may not be you hair, but what's going on in your head. Obviously hair is important to everyone on this forum, but if this is having a big impact on your life (confidence, socially etc) that's a cause for concern.

How much time a day do thoughts of this problem occupy you? The reason I ask is that I suffered for years from body dysmorphic disorder, and spent 4 hours a day looking in the mirror, convinced that my skin was weird and obsessing about looking like a freak.

I don't want to make you alarmed. If you don't relate to this story then good, but if you do then you might want to consider getting help. Pm me if you need to.

Nes x

Starr
May 9th, 2009, 01:17 AM
We all have our hangups and insecurities when it comes to things about our bodies that we can't control. . . the key is to work with what you have.

I spent the better part of jr high, high school, and the first year of college wishing and praying that my hair would magically become less frizzy, less big, and less curly. . . and guess what, with care it became less frizzy, but it's still just as big and just as curly. The only thing that changed was my acceptance of my hair as it was.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with your hair, it looks like have a cowlick near the back, but who doesn't? And a lot of people's hair sticks straight up when it gets to a certain length, that's why it's called the awkward phase, but hair grows and awkward phases don't last forever (unless of course you keep cuttting it back to that same awkward length).

Fethenwen
May 9th, 2009, 02:57 AM
I've seen that type of hair a lot. I think you should grow it longer, that would give weight and settle it. I understand your concern, it must be irritating to have hair that sticks straight out in every direction.

LutraLutra
May 9th, 2009, 02:58 AM
Your hair is perfectly 'normal'. :)

If you think about it, most (caucasian) children are born with very soft, fluffy, fine hair that gets thicker as they get older. What kind of hair does your family have? Parents, grandparents and siblings? That'll give you an idea of what your 'adult' hair 'should' look like. I have very fine hair like my mum, but very thick hair like my grandmother.

Your hair looks exactly like my colleagues hair - his is very thick and very dense. When he was younger he grew it long, and it looked great. These days (he's in his 50s) he keeps it short.

Whatever you want to do with is is fine, but really there's no problem with your hair at all. :)

Arctic
May 9th, 2009, 04:27 AM
Your hair looks really thick to me :)

brok3nwings
May 9th, 2009, 06:20 AM
I know some people with hair that grows like yours. I personally like it but if you dont my opinion is that there is one big reason for that. You have LOTS of hair, so until you have some length it will grow up and jus then down.. (i have a friend that his hair is exactly like that, really smooth, straight and a lot of hair so it made that effect) if you were going to grow your hair there would be no problem the problem would be solved. And when i say grow im not talking about having LONG hair but growing it a LITTLE and THEN you would go to a good hairstylist to give you a nice hairstyle. If you dont want to let it grow a bit then if you dont want that effect i just see one solution that is to use it really really short.
I understand why you feel that way, its because it is unusual, but believe me, you have beautiful hair you just have to find the right way to have it.

Heavenly Locks
May 9th, 2009, 06:27 AM
Whats wrong with my hair? (picture)

Nothing at all :)

I think that it looks like short hair that is thick and holding itself up as it grows. This is normal :) You can try using a product to calm it down, or wait it out and let it grow longer so that the weight will cause the hairs to be weighted down.

What are your hair goals?

EdG
May 9th, 2009, 07:17 AM
As everyone has said, you have perfectly normal hair. Most people envy thickness like yours (the usual problem is thinning with age).

Your hair is standing straight up because it is only an inch long. If you grew it longer, it would eventually lay flat. Nothing defies gravity. You may be happier with a different hairstyle. :twocents:
Ed

Chrissy
May 9th, 2009, 07:31 AM
I agree with what other people have said. Too me it just looks very thick and since it's short it sticks up a bit. It really doesn't look that bad. Are you planning on growing it out? I'm assuming yes since you just joined here. Give it growing time and I'm sure it will lay flatter. Also welcome!

UrsaMama
May 9th, 2009, 08:20 AM
My husband and 3yo son both have hair just like yours. They also both have some impressive cowlicks that complicate the issue. They both have short hair, and, around the cowlicks, very short hair. It's the only way to keep it from doing exactly what your pics show. I have a feeling that if my hair was that short it would do the same thing. It looks like the same texture, fine and smooth but very springy. I've been seeing some others describe it as a paintbrush texture.

In other words, you've been blessed with hair that either needs to be very short or very long to get it to do what you want. I'm right there with ya. :rolleyes:

My only other question would be does it feel healthy? That may be a hard thing for you to know on your own. It could be (only an outside chance in my opinion) that your hair could use some moisture.

Hope you can find the answers and peace of mind you need. Welcome!

Stelmaria
May 9th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Your hair looks fine to me and should not cause you to have self-esteem issues. But I was wondering if you have ever researched "uncombable hair syndrome." It is typically seen in very fair haired people and affects the structure of the hair shaft. The good news is that it seems to be helped by biotin supplements. You might want to google pictures of "uncombable hair syndrome", also called "spun-glass hair". It can set in between the ages of 2-12.

See: http://thebeautybrains.com/2007/04/03/unbelievably-uncombable-hair/

Again, I don't think you have it, or if you do, it is not obvious since your hair is so short.

scata999
May 9th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Your hair looks fine to me and should not cause you to have self-esteem issues. But I was wondering if you have ever researched "uncombable hair syndrome." It is typically seen in very fair haired people and affects the structure of the hair shaft. The good news is that it seems to be helped by biotin supplements. You might want to google pictures of "uncombable hair syndrome", also called "spun-glass hair". It can set in between the ages of 2-12.

See: http://thebeautybrains.com/2007/04/03/unbelievably-uncombable-hair/

Again, I don't think you have it, or if you do, it is not obvious since your hair is so short.

Thats a coincidence I actually first find out about UHC yesterday. From what I can tell UHC hair strands aren't entirely straight, there is a slight kink to them. My hair strands though are poker straight, its almost weird how straight they are.

rhubarbarin
May 9th, 2009, 12:29 PM
My BF's nephew has the same hair. Super-thick, very straight and poky - stands straight up unless it's shaved or longer. His sisters call it 'barbie hair' (they like to cut their barbie's hair short and it sticks up thickly in just the same way).

I don't have thick hair but I've had mine that length before and it sticks straight up like that..

Stop worrying and feeling like a mutant. Your hair is normal AND I don't think it looks bad! Relax and let it grow, there will be awkward stages but I'm sure it will look lovely.

a12345
May 9th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Welcome to the boards!:)

I think that you probably have hair that has more texture (maybe wavy or even into curly if it gets long enough) and that at the length it is now, you are seeing a combination of the short length and cowlicks. My hair does something similar when it is really short and when longer is wavy. The thinness of your strands probably just means you have fine hair. And from the photo it looks like you have a lot of it, so you probably have thick (quantity), fine (the thickness of each strand), wavy hair. If you want it to stay down more, you might have to grow it out and wait out the awkward stages. My wavy hair is REALLY awkward when it grows out, but much better looking (in my opinion) when longer.

The genetics of hair inheritance are not as clear cut as you might think (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hair_color), so don't worry that you have hair that seems different that your families. Also, your hair might be similar to one of the women in your family, but you can't tell because hers isn't cut so short.

I think it looks nice and if I passed you on the street I wouldn't think it was weird looking at all!

AmyJorgensen
May 9th, 2009, 01:25 PM
I'm so sorry you feel weird about your hair. It looks fine to me. I know how that is though. I feel weird about my acne...and I don't even have very much anymore....but in my own mind...oh, boy! Just try to remember that no one else is really judging you for it.

Amoretti
May 9th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Grow it longer and it'll lie flat.

scata999
May 9th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Alright I came up with the idea to switch my shampoo and conditioner because I had been using the same one for over a year. I bought the Finesse moisturizing brand and my hair is a lot softer and not as dried out and hard.

Xandergrammy
May 9th, 2009, 04:19 PM
My hair would look exactly like that at that length. Your hair looks very healthy.

CrystalStar
May 9th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Don't be so hard on yourself! :) There's no way you're different from other people or your life'd be better just because of your hair!

I think it's just your type of hair, you could maybe attempt to grow it to a few inches long and see how it feels, but either way, try and relax about it! :p

Don't let an insecurity rule your life, you'll probably regret it? :p

Teacherbear
May 9th, 2009, 04:32 PM
I don't see anything "wrong" with your hair. It is short. It probably has a lot of body to it, that's why it stands upright while at that length. With additional length it will probably lay down and start waving (just my thoughts). Your hair appears fine in texture (each strand is thin - much thinner than sewing thread). Nothing wrong with any of those.

spidermom
May 9th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Who are you calling a mutant!?
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/BOONEW.jpg

(yes, that was my natural air-dried hair; makeup courtesy of my goth niece)

spidermom
May 9th, 2009, 04:41 PM
I hope you feel better. Hair is weird stuff sometimes. It does its own thing and defies all attempts to tame it.

Fractalsofhair
May 9th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Your hair looks fine! I think the issue was dryness if you said a moisturizing shampoo worked. I have very dry hair that feels very odd if I don't have some sort of oil or moisturizing conditioner used on it. Great oils for hair are coconut, avacado(testing that one tonight), and olive oil from my experiance. Olive is the cheapest and easiest to obtain, followed by coconut. Coconut gives me the best results. I have a lot of very fine hair that would probably look like that if my hair was very short. With the smells of the oils, I suggest adding a drop of an essential oil to them. You can get those at whole foods, citrus tends to be the cheapest, along with being wonderfully unisex. Or you can spray some cologne into it. Just rub maybe a 1/4 tea spoon on a brush for your hair length and then brush your hair. Should work like a charm, and make your hair very shiny. Shiny hair on guys is always attractive!

scata999
May 12th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Found another trick, I rinsed the conditioner out with cold water and my hair lies a bit flatter. It helps.

Fractalsofhair
May 12th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Yep, rinsing with cold water seals the cuticle. If you like hot showers, diluted apple cider vinager(or any vinager) works quite well. I use a ratio of 1 vinager to 3-4 waters, but some people only add a tablespoon to a cup. Just put some in your hair after conditioner, and rinse out after a minute or so. Sounds like you just had slightly dry hair to be honest.

marialena
May 12th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Why can't I see the photos? I clicked the links and gave me a nice 403 -Forbidden..:confused: :(

RavennaNight
May 12th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Yup. Forbidden.:confused: I guess I ain't in the club.:p :laugh:

scata999
May 12th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Why can't I see the photos? I clicked the links and gave me a nice 403 -Forbidden..:confused: :(
I saw all the views this thread was getting and was scared someone in real life would recognize me, I'm sort of paranoid. I'll post one again though.
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/9986/h1edit.jpg