PDA

View Full Version : folded logroll -- a great style!

darkwaves
May 8th, 2009, 08:21 PM
I haven't seen this way of fixing hair described here, but I'm sure others have done it. And... Wow! This is absolutely the easiest, prettiest updo at my current (below waist) length! Big, puffy, curly, contained -- and does not come loose!!!

I expect my directions won't make a lot of sense, but I've started this thread hoping one of LHC's more clever members will try this, too, and explain it more clearly.

Here's what happened.

I was redoing my hair the other night, without a mirror. First, I twisted it into a logroll. (At my length and thickness, 6 days post washing, I get just two twists.) Then, being bored, I tugged the top loop open and folded it out, over and down, to cover the twist...

Then I spread the loop even more open, so it became part of the slide to-be-formed with the hair stick/barrette/etc., then put the hair stick I was playing with through the folded roll. (It held the loop, too, because the ends were over it -- but not much of the loop needs to be held.)

When I do a logroll, I usually have loose wavy ends at one side. After folding the loop down, however, these ends magically rotated up to the top. It's like having much shorter wavy hair again! What's that style... A peacock twist!

Anyway, I can hold this style securely for a full day with one hair stick, or a small fork -- or my latest barrette, a small Frau Kohler wooden slide, from the swap board. (It's like holding just a small amount of hair again!)

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c346/hairpix/th_IMG_0013_edited-1.jpg http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c346/hairpix/th_IMG_0010_edited.jpg

(Yes, these are thumbnails only. The larger images are in my blog.)

Has anyone else tried this? Does it work at longer lengths, i.e., with more twists in the logroll?

I love it!

(And yes, I realize this is likely incomprehensible to many! My apologies in advance -- and no, I can't explain this more clearly! I hope someone who can will experiment and post!)

Teacherbear
May 8th, 2009, 10:08 PM
It is very pretty, but I can't seem to get it to work with my hair.

Teazel
May 8th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Hm. From your instructions, it sounds like the finished bun would be very like a nautilus (aka Inside-out) bun. Would that be right? :hmm:

TessieAnn
May 8th, 2009, 10:23 PM
A beautiful style, darkwaves!

Your hair photos always just knock me out! Lovely.

darkwaves
May 9th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Teazel, the nautilus is still outside my length/grasp -- at least from the instructions I've seen, which seem to have lots of hair being folded around a loop.

With this, you just twist the hair a couple of times, then turn / tuck the loop over / down. It won't hold at all without a stick, but with even a little one, it's great. (In fact, even the stick from the wooden slide in the thumbnails will hold it.)

Thanks, TessieAnn! And Teacherbear, I wish I was better at explaining! I'm also not great at understanding other people's detailed explanations of hair updos -- so I'm sure this exists by another name!

embee
May 9th, 2009, 05:04 AM
Very pretty! You have "bigger" hair than I do, and it shows off well with this style. :)

KarenLynn
May 9th, 2009, 05:56 AM
I know this has come up before, but I can't remember when or what it was called. Well, it's come up twice. I believe it's also another way of making Aisling's pretzel bun. There are instructions in the archive somewhere, I just need to log out here to go find them.

ETA - I found the original instructions here (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=46398), with somewhat better (but still not good) pictures here (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=795476&postcount=219). I can't remember where else the same style popped up, though.

mugglemomof3
May 9th, 2009, 06:27 AM
ooooohh! Very pretty!

I've been trying for a few minutes now and can't get it to work, but it has helped me understand the nautilus bun a bit better, so it's all good!!!!!

:waving: Thanks darkwaves

LaurelSpring
May 9th, 2009, 06:40 AM
I just did it. It worked fine :) It is inside out-ish but I also struggle with that sometimes. This seems to work better for me. Thanks for posting. I will use this!

darkwaves
May 9th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Hi all!

Thanks, KarenLynn, for the links. Yes, that looks about the same -- I twist the hair first, though, into a log roll, so don't need to wrap the extra around the loop before folding it down. It's a quick, two-step process. (But maybe those with longer hair would need to wrap?)

Thanks!

darkwaves
May 10th, 2009, 07:32 AM
I just did it. It worked fine :) It is inside out-ish but I also struggle with that sometimes. This seems to work better for me. Thanks for posting. I will use this! Hi LaurelSpring -- I'm glad this worked for you! I've been trying those other inside-out bun styles, too, but they seem to require more hair and manipulation than this.

This really is simple -- almost so simple that it shouldn't really hold, especially with only a shallow slide like this one.

Anje
May 10th, 2009, 11:35 AM
I agree with the others -- it sounds like an inside-out/nautilus bun, but you have relatively few twists to it yet because of your thickness. I tend to twist the hair a few times and I have a lot more wraps (my hair is longer and thinner than yours), and I usually fold the loop upward rather than down, but it looks like it's essentially the same style.

It's also one of my go-to styles. Always holds comfortably with a stick or wavelength pin, and it's easy and fool-proof.

Curlsgirl
May 11th, 2009, 09:21 AM
I LOVE this idea! I can't seem to understand the instructions though. It's me though not you! Anyone care to help? ;)

JamieLeigh
May 11th, 2009, 09:23 AM
That looks very nice! I'll have to try that, your instructions seem pretty easy to follow. That style really shows off your length and thickness. :)

ginalaurie
May 12th, 2009, 09:24 AM
I gave this a try and it worked the first time! That's unusual for me; I tend to be "updo challenged". I used my large Maxima to hold it. It feels very secure and balanced.

Thanks!