PDA

View Full Version : Years hair lost before it will not grow back in?

Hairtada
May 8th, 2009, 07:18 PM
I keep reading various things on the internet about this. Some places say that if your hair is gone from your head for one year it cannot ever grow back . Others say 3 years or even 5 years. Has anyone here grown back hair that has been gone longer than one year?

If you or anyone you know has regrown the hair that has been gone longer than the one year what did you use to grow it??
I've had pretty good luck with the MN and Megatek but I still want more of my hair back. Some of those hairs have been gone longer than a year though. Not sure I can get then back.

On the plus side my length is growing fine!:)

feralnature
May 8th, 2009, 07:20 PM
What is the original cause of the hair loss?

Hairtada
May 8th, 2009, 07:24 PM
For me it is thyroid and stress mostly.I just was put on a generic thyroid med and more of my hair fell out. :( I got back on the name brand so hope that helps it again.
There could be other reasons as well since I am also menopausal.

Flynn
May 8th, 2009, 07:33 PM
I can't imagine that there is any way you could some up with a general "rule" regarding hair loss and regrowth. Discuss with your doctor; s/he is likely to either know, or be able to find out, the likelihood and degree of regrowth you can expect based on the reason for the hair loss.

Hairtada
May 8th, 2009, 07:46 PM
I've come to the conclusion from talking to my doctors that they have no idea either. That's why I am asking real people that may have real life experiences to see what they say about it.
Never hurts to ask around.:)
Probably is no general rule but perhaps there is some sort of cut off point...a length of time that hair never grows back in after??

I don't know...just thought to ask.

feralnature
May 8th, 2009, 08:04 PM
I never heard of a rule such as that and I have a degree in the medical field if that helps.

Flynn
May 8th, 2009, 08:11 PM
I've come to the conclusion from talking to my doctors that they have no idea either. That's why I am asking real people that may have real life experiences to see what they say about it.
Never hurts to ask around.:)
Probably is no general rule but perhaps there is some sort of cut off point...a length of time that hair never grows back in after??

I don't know...just thought to ask.

Hm, fair enough. XD

I'd be surprised if there was actually a "cut-off point" as such, but we'll see from what people say.

hennaphile
May 8th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I don't know, but for me, hair that i cut years ago hasn't grown past 8 inches, nor has what I lost grown back yet.

SimplyLonghair
May 8th, 2009, 10:07 PM
From the research it varies on many things. Such as the health of the individual and the reasons for the loss. Most of the research is in alopetia areata and they generally don't know the whys of the loss in those cases. That is where the time frame comes in.

When the cause of the loss if found and dealt with, many times hair that has been gone for years will come back in. I know of one such person irl.

So if the cause has been dealth with I would suggest the oils and massages as they seem to have the most promise in the reseach that I have looked into. :twocents: