PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else growing out a V shaped hemline?

neon-dream
May 8th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Hey!
I'm thinking of growing out my V shaped hemline for a gentle U shape, but I self trim and I'm not 100% sure how to do this, I'll only be trimming a small amount every time.
Can anyone give me any advice? :)

enfys
May 8th, 2009, 04:48 PM
I'm doing the same thing and aiming for the same thing. Right now I'm just leaving it grow until I work out how best to deal with it.

I might trim just the point off. It's a shame the sides grow so ruddy slowly....

Isilme
May 8th, 2009, 04:50 PM
I had a v-shape for quite some time, but I asked my hairdresser to just more it a bit more like a U when I got a trim once. She didn't have to make many adjustments since my hair tends to grow naturally in a u shape. Maybe you can let it grow and see if it adapts a u shape by itself?

girlcat36
May 8th, 2009, 04:56 PM
I trim my own hair, just trimming the longest bits. It is blunt only for a little while, and then it goes to a V again! It seems like only the hair that I trim grows, because that V keeps coming back! :eek:

AnneAdeline
May 8th, 2009, 05:16 PM
I have a V hemline that has resulted from growing out layers. I've been self trimming, but only the very bottom. I figure it will let the rest of the hair "catch up".

spidermom
May 8th, 2009, 05:18 PM
The advice I've seen for this (but have not tried myself) is to make a nape ponytail, then slide the pony-holder straight down, snip off the very longest part of the hair below the pony-holder.

viking_quest
May 8th, 2009, 06:07 PM
The advice I've seen for this (but have not tried myself) is to make a nape ponytail, then slide the pony-holder straight down, snip off the very longest part of the hair below the pony-holder.

I don't self-trim but whenever I trim other people's hair I do this method. Very quick and very easy.

SheWolf
May 8th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Right now I have a very pronounced V, but when I reach my goal (WL) I'll start rounding it into a soft U. :)

jera
May 9th, 2009, 01:18 AM
I have a V hemline that has resulted from growing out layers. I've been self trimming, but only the very bottom. I figure it will let the rest of the hair "catch up".

That's what I'm doing too and it does catch up. It just takes awhile. Try to be patient with it. :)

Jules diamond
May 9th, 2009, 01:25 AM
I've got a V shaped hemline, but for me it seems like I could just snip off the longest part and it would be a U. Trimming probably works the best if you don't want to lose length.

LittleOrca
May 9th, 2009, 02:26 AM
I have a V-shape taper to my ends, or what is nicely called Fairy Tale ends here. I am planning to grow out the shortest ends to classic before I cut across and make it blunt. However, I might change my mind when I get there, since I had the same plan for when my shortest ends got past BSL, which they are at now, but I can't picture cutting my hair now out of my own free will.

neon-dream
May 9th, 2009, 04:51 AM
Thanks everyone!

Ohh I might give this a go =)
Thanks !

rhubarbarin
May 9th, 2009, 07:22 AM
My hem is fairly v-shaped, and I also have a lot more damage and thinning on the sides than the center, so I want them to catch up. I braid or ponytail my hair and take a bit off the end for trims. I have lots of different kind of hair in my hem, though, so I don't have to worry about it looking even.

Forever_Sophie
May 9th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Yes!!! OMG, I just joined the club last Tuesday :p The unrequested V I'm now dealing with :( My hair had just reached my goal length (waist), now this....I'm swallowing biotin like candy.

neon-dream
May 9th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Yes!!! OMG, I just joined the club last Tuesday :p The unrequested V I'm now dealing with :( My hair had just reached my goal length (waist), now this....I'm swallowing biotin like candy.

Haha!
I requested my V to be cut in, I'm just a bit sick of it now, I want a thicker hemline :)
I am also on the biotin :D

wahmof9
May 9th, 2009, 09:16 AM
I am with you! I have done a tiny trim twice and it is becoming a nice U shape with a nicer thicker hemline.

I have a V AND layers!

neon-dream
May 10th, 2009, 06:20 AM
I am with you! I have done a tiny trim twice and it is becoming a nice U shape with a nicer thicker hemline.

I have a V AND layers!

I only have really long layers so I'm ok with that, but a thicker hemline would be good :)!!

Pixna
May 10th, 2009, 06:58 AM

Yes, this is similar to the finishing step that Feye recommends in her self-trimming method. It works (I've done it). If you don't want to lose any length, just take off a wee bit at a time -- 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Only the point needs to be trimmed, and it's very easy to do. Depending on how deep the V is, you might solve your "problem" in just one or two trims like this. See Step 3 here (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/1827.html#cutid1).

neon-dream
May 10th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Oh cool, Pixna! Thanks :)

Wicket
May 11th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Here are a good set of dicrections

http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim