PDA

View Full Version : Does this happen to anyone else? - Hair washing

janeytilllie
May 8th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Hi everyone :waving:

This is a rather unusual question and I haven't find anything here on TLCH regarding this.

Can you you tip your forward upside down/ wash your hair upside down?

Because I can't :confused:

My hair can be as smooth as anythnig and shiney frizz free. But as soon as I tip my hair forward upside down it will go cave woman hair on me :(

It instantly tangles, knots, snaps, goes poofy, frizzes horribly! I can't get a wide tooth comb through it!

It is the same if I wash my hair upside down using a hand shower.

I hate washing my hair upright. I have to have a cool shower because if I have a warm/hot shower it murders my hair :( so I always freeze :( Plus showering upright is more expensive.

So being sick of being cold on the time, I thought I would try it again and that my hair would be fine and that the last time it went crazy was a one off bad hair day. So tonight I

tried again washing my upside down. BIG MISTAKE! I was wrong!

I am sitting here with HUGE cave woman hair. I can't even run my fingers through it without them getting stuck and snapping my hair!:(

Why does this happen? Why can't my pain in the butt hair be washed upside down:mad:.

Does this happen to anyone else? Or I am the only one? :confused:

Thank you everyone :)

Heavenly Locks
May 8th, 2009, 12:44 PM
With the cool water, have you tried leaning to the left and right so that your hair is not touching your body? That's how I rinse with cold water and avoid freezing my booty off!

lynnala
May 8th, 2009, 12:45 PM
It happens to me too, so I never do it. I can't brush my hair upside down either, because as soon as I turn it upright, it's a tangled mess. Hopefully someone will tell us what we are doing wrong!

Periwinkle
May 8th, 2009, 12:45 PM
I've heard of this happening, but only to people with straight hair. We have fairly similar hairtypes and I do this all the time, but I guess everyone is different.

chrissy-b
May 8th, 2009, 12:48 PM
That happens to me if I don't comb it out upside down first and after the wash. Even then, it still gets some tangles once I try to comb it down. I just avoid doing it. I usually wash my hair in warm water, give it a shot of cold when rinsing, clip it up and then give my body a shot of hot water to warm up again before I get out of the shower.

janeytilllie
May 8th, 2009, 12:48 PM
With the cool water, have you tried leaning to the left and right so that your hair is not touching your body? That's how I rinse with cold water and avoid freezing my booty off!

Not a bad idea! :D I will do that. At the moment I have half a bottle of condition on my hair. I'm letting a sit abit then I will re-wash my fussy hair :mad:

I wonder why it goes crazy if I flip it upside down? :confused:

Thank you very much for your advice :flowers:

janeytilllie
May 8th, 2009, 12:51 PM
It happens to me too, so I never do it. I can't brush my hair upside down either, because as soon as I turn it upright, it's a tangled mess. Hopefully someone will tell us what we are doing wrong!

Yeah! I am not alone :cheese:
I wonder too why hair goes crazy like that? I wonder if anyone knows?

rhubarbarin
May 8th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Washing upside-down works GREAT for me as long as I do not comb through or disturb the natural lay of my hair. If I do, instant matted disaster.

Washing this way gets my scalp cleaner (I have problems with itching on the crown of my head and I get zits on the back of my head/neck), makes it easier to rinse and gives my volume at the roots and better curl formation.

I stick my head under the shower stream for a scalp wash and rinse. The only thing I do with my hands is scrub my scalp - I don't pull through the hair at all. Then I stand upright for conditioning, detangling and final rinse.

ETA: I think all the problems people experience is just because the hair is used to growing and being washed and brushed all in one certain direction - back from the face, down around the sides and back. The same thing happens if I try to comb my hair forward over my face.

HairColoredHair
May 8th, 2009, 12:57 PM
I can't wash my hair upside down. I think it's the whol flipping it back part that tangles it, 'cause it all rubs together when it goes back into its normal place.

I wash warm and do a cool/cold rinse on my hair with the handheld with my hair off to the side right before getting out of the shower and putting a towel about my head.

janeytilllie
May 8th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Washing upside-down works GREAT for me as long as I do not comb through or disturb the natural lay of my hair. If I do, instant matted disaster.

Washing this way gets my scalp cleaner (I have problems with itching on the crown of my head and I get zits on the back of my head/neck), makes it easier to rinse and gives my volume at the roots and better curl formation.

I stick my head under the shower stream for a scalp wash and rinse. The only thing I do with my hands is scrub my scalp - I don't pull through the hair at all. Then I stand upright for conditioning, detangling and final rinse.

ETA: I think all the problems people experience is just because the hair is used to growing and being washed and brushed all in one certain direction - back from the face, down around the sides and back. The same thing happens if I try to comb my hair forward over my face.

I too like the cleaner feeling and being able to have a lovely cold rinse on my head without my body being frozen :D I do like it :) Plus it is cheaper because I can swtich the water off when I my massage my scalp. It's alot better. But....

But my hair goes poofy like a poodle! Why my hair why are you a pain! :wail:

Thank you very much for the response :flower:

spidermom
May 8th, 2009, 01:06 PM
I can do it but I have to be really careful to comb/brush it all so that it hangs down, then wrap it with my head wrap (which you can see in my hats album) after I've washed/conditioned it. Even so, the comb-out is a little harder, though made easier with leave-in conditioner. I usually just wash it standing upright in the shower, though. I use lukewarm water on my hair, wash/rinse/condition it first, then move it out of the way to use hotter water on my body.

enfys
May 8th, 2009, 01:11 PM
I can't wash my hair upright.

I stand on the outside of the bath and hang over it. Always have done since starting CWC in 2003.

If it makes any difference, what I do it brush like normal, carefully flip my head over and brush nape to front then wash. After that I don't brush it at all until it's dry. No finger combing, nothing.

I don't know if that makes any difference or helps at all, but that's how it works for me.

janeytilllie
May 8th, 2009, 01:13 PM
I can do it but I have to be really careful to comb/brush it all so that it hangs down, then wrap it with my head wrap (which you can see in my hats album) after I've washed/conditioned it. Even so, the comb-out is a little harder, though made easier with leave-in conditioner. I usually just wash it standing upright in the shower, though. I use lukewarm water on my hair, wash/rinse/condition it first, then move it out of the way to use hotter water on my body.

My hair goes crazy has soon as it flips forward it's very weird :eek:

I think I will try leaning my hair from my body when washing from now on.

Thank you again for your reply :)

enfys
May 8th, 2009, 01:16 PM
My hair goes crazy has soon as it flips forward it's very weird :eek:

I think I will try leaning my hair from my body when washing from now on.

Thank you again for your reply :)

Do you oil it before washing?

I'm a bit worried now that I'm the freak who can brush their hair any which way without tangles....

janeytilllie
May 8th, 2009, 01:17 PM
I can't wash my hair upright.

I stand on the outside of the bath and hang over it. Always have done since starting CWC in 2003.

If it makes any difference, what I do it brush like normal, carefully flip my head over and brush nape to front then wash. After that I don't brush it at all until it's dry. No finger combing, nothing.

I don't know if that makes any difference or helps at all, but that's how it works for me.

I brushed my hair and it was very smooth and tangle free, but as soon as it flipped over I couldnt get my brush at the nape. It wouldnt' go.

Washing it was fine when I was hand showering it. But as soon as put my head back it went all big and wild again with huge knots.

Thank you for your advice and reply :flower:

janeytilllie
May 8th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Do you oil it before washing?

I'm a bit worried now that I'm the freak who can brush their hair any which way without tangles....

Yep I had used jojoba oil on my lengths and olive oil on the ends :)

You are very lucky. I wish my hair would obey me like yours does :)

enfys
May 8th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Yep I had used jojoba oil on my lengths and olive oil on the ends :)

You are very lucky. I wish my hair would obey me like yours does :)

Try putting it up! It only listens when the shower is running haha.

As long as your back can take leaning back (mine can't) that does sound like your best bet. You could always just turn cavewoman hair into the next big trend!

janeytilllie
May 8th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Try putting it up! It only listens when the shower is running haha.

As long as your back can take leaning back (mine can't) that does sound like your best bet. You could always just turn cavewoman hair into the next big trend!

lol :rollin:
I could try the leaning back method :) It could work :D

Thanks again :)

Heidi_234
May 8th, 2009, 01:45 PM
I can get away with this, if after I wash it upside down I let the water run though it when upright. I think, because I might be one of those who just get away with this, trying to recall if I washed it upside down and then wrapped it in a towel the way it was. I think I did that too with no problems. Yeah.
Maybe the rule of the thumb is not combing it either way, and not try to 'sort it out' when upside down. Just let it be loose under the stream of the water, leave the comb for the aftermath. :shrug:

Flynn
May 8th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Yes. If I try to move it around at all while it's wet horrible things happen. It's hard to even part it before it's dry!

Warren
May 8th, 2009, 04:09 PM
I usually wash my hair upside-down when I want to give it a bit of extra volume. It might be a load of rubbish, but I think that the hair follicles sort of soften and become pliable when they're wet, so that they'll align themselves with the direction in which your hair is sitting. Then when you dry your hair, they set and stay in position.

So, perhaps that's why your hair doesn't like being washed upside-down?

Peter
May 8th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I can't ever turn my head upsidedown without getting all sorts of knots and tangles. I don't know why it happens.

girlcat36
May 8th, 2009, 05:00 PM
No upside down rinsing for me!

Speckla
May 8th, 2009, 05:38 PM
I notice I always have the best hair and good volume when I shampoo and condition upside down in the kitchen sink. My underneath isn't dry or tangly because that's the first place I add conditioner instead of on top.

Carolyn
May 8th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Could it all have something to do with the straightness or curliness? I'm an almost straightie and have washed upside down at times all my life. I've also brushed upside down to add volume. I've done it at all different lengths. I think one thing that makes a difference when washing upside down is to comb through the hair right after it's flipped over. That should take the snarls out before it's washed. After washing, I towel dry and then start at the ends detangling with my wide tooth comb.

hippie girl
May 8th, 2009, 06:32 PM
I can wash my hair flipped over, and it is very straight.

The trick for me is to always carefully comb out all knots prior to wetting hair. After this step I flip my head over. Sometimes I may run a comb thru it again so that everything is still nice and straight, pointing down to the ground and still in order. Then, wash. Even if it swirls around in the tub a bit, it will come out untangled. I do try and keep it all orderly, and try to not let it swirl around too much in the tub. After I finish, I gently squeeze whatever excess water may be running down the length, wrap it in a towel, and carefully flip (well, more like fold) the length wrapped in the towel back over my head so it is then pointing down my back. Done!

For either a flip-over wash or a wash in the shower with it going down my back, the key is always, always comb dry. No exceptions. I never let my hair get saturated without combing first. Just leads to bad news. I never understand how peeps can do the wide tooth combing wet thing, conditioner or not. Never worked for me at any length. Any tangles would just break, get crazy, and become knots.

I should add that once my hair is wet going down my back, I can't then flip it over my head and wash with it going the other direction. It all has to be pointing one direction or the other before it gets wet so as to stay untangled. I don't comb afterwards, either. I always wait till it is completely dry.

hippie girl
May 8th, 2009, 06:40 PM
I notice I always have the best hair and good volume when I shampoo and condition upside down in the kitchen sink.

I agree, too, with the upside down wash giving hair a different look or lift.

I think it gets cleaner somehow, or maybe the parts that are normally not as well washed when standing up get cleaner. I don't know. Maybe it is just that drying this way (once it has been flipped over to wash) seems to give it some more volume. I've never been able to figure out which it is, but I think it is from the flipped over washing stage, more so than the drying stage.

Tornerose
May 8th, 2009, 08:23 PM
I love washing my hair upside down, it gives a rootlift wich with lots of goodwill can be mistaken for volume :D

The trick to not getting it horribly tangled is to put the towel in a turban while stil holding head upside down. Then when hair is damp, and you take off the turban, keep head upside down and carefully put it back the "right way".

My hair is very tangleprone, so I get tangles no atter what I do, but I have noticed that when I don't take the extra precautions of upside down-hair, it takes a few hours to get all the tangles out.

rhubarbarin
May 8th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Maybe the rule of the thumb is not combing it either way, and not try to 'sort it out' when upside down. Just let it be loose under the stream of the water, leave the comb for the aftermath. :shrug:

Yep.

The other great thing about it (besides it making your roots nicer) is that you are protecting your canopy from friction and from the dryness caused by shampoo/soap (if you use it).

Of course my hair is freakishly untangly.. so take my advice with a grain of salt.

MsBubbles
May 8th, 2009, 09:30 PM
I don't wash my hair standing straight up because I can't get my scalp properly cleaned and lathered without pulling a bunch of hairs out, because my hair is so flat against my head.

So after bending forwards and washing, combing out tangles is horrible unless I let my hair dry about 15 mins in a towel first. This makes all the difference in combability.

Maybe you could let your hair dry more, then try combing?

Jeni
May 8th, 2009, 10:18 PM
I cant wash upside down either without major tangles. I will use plenty of conditioner (cone), carefully detangle while still upside down and carefully "flip" my hair over. Doesn't work, as soon as I flip it goes *BLAHHHH* and tangles.

It doesn't help to wrap it up in a towel or turban to dry a little either, in fact I think the dryer my hair is the worse the tangles.

I don't notice any extra root lift or volume when I wash or rinse upside down but then I usually have to add a lot of leave-in to detangle so that probably kills any "lift".

MsBubbles
May 8th, 2009, 11:23 PM
It doesn't help to wrap it up in a towel or turban to dry a little either, in fact I think the dryer my hair is the worse the tangles.

oh too bad. Sorry my suggestion doesn't help.

Jeni
May 9th, 2009, 02:49 AM
oh too bad. Sorry my suggestion doesn't help.

Eh, maybe it will work for someone else. My hair tangles if you look at it funny, its always been that way. When I was in 4th grade my mother cut my mid back-almost waist (?) length hair to a chin length bob because of all the tangles (and my freak out when she tried to brush it).

Thank good for detangling spray and up dos is all I have to say!

Fethenwen
May 9th, 2009, 04:46 AM
I don't wash my hair standing straight up because I can't get my scalp properly cleaned and lathered without pulling a bunch of hairs out, because my hair is so flat against my head.

So after bending forwards and washing, combing out tangles is horrible unless I let my hair dry about 15 mins in a towel first. This makes all the difference in combability.

The same with me.

Yes, my hair gets the cave woman looks as soon as I flip my hair down :p but I carefully brush it before wetting it. Starting from the ends and work upwards. And leaving in the towel and let it air dry before touching it also works well.
I guess the hair just behaves this way because the roots bend the other way. I sometimes use this flipping as a way to gain volume.

brok3nwings
May 9th, 2009, 06:10 AM
i must say, if i wash it completly upside down and have combed my hair before i like it much better then normal washing. I rarely get frizz but i like it better because i get more waves so everyone is different really :)

janeytilllie
May 9th, 2009, 06:45 AM

I feel the same. Washing my hair upright sticks flat to my head so I feel it doesn't get as cleaner as upside down washing.

And one thing I did notice. I had noany hair fall out when washing upside down :D So thats a good.

Thank you for your advice :flower:
I will give it ago when I next wash my hair :) Maybe it will work? :D

Thanks again :)

mira-chan
May 9th, 2009, 08:36 AM
I always wash with my hair flipped upside down. I just finger comb, no comb or brush and hove no problems so my hair doesn't tangle easily. I don't ever try to comb my hair when wet, and don't touch it much until it's pretty much dry.

Chamy
May 12th, 2009, 09:10 AM
I cant wash my hair upside down either. It really looks like a mess when it dries, -even when i detangle and place everything right carefully with my hands after the wash. I tried the cold water rinse, but it never worked since i have to do it upside down and that just spoils the whole point with the cold water. :P

Elanor
June 15th, 2009, 11:49 PM
I have washed my hair upside down for about two years now. When it was shorter than BSL I had absolutely no problems, I could just flip my head back after washing my hair and it went nicely back to its place :) Now that I'm almost at waist, I get some tangles after the flipping, but they are quite easy to detangle. I think my hair has somehow adjusted to being washed this way, since I've done it for so long. I can't stand a cool shower in the morning, and I don't want to go to bed with wet hair so I wash my hair this way in the morning and take a warm shower without wetting my hair in the evening :D

nowxisxforever
June 15th, 2009, 11:56 PM
I can't do this either, wet or dry.

hennaphile
June 16th, 2009, 12:24 AM
Alas, I cannot. I dilute shampoo in a squeeze bottle and inject it under my wet hair, press not lather, and my scalp is so much happier and sheds less.

Squirt bottles are hair friends!

angelakeats
June 16th, 2009, 02:17 AM
I lean back and make sure I am in reach of the tap so I can turn it off quick!

Savvyhorsez
June 16th, 2009, 05:44 AM
I wash my hair in the sink from time to time, but other than a little bit more tangles I don't think it does anything else. I find leaning back is too painful as the faucet is farther back because it's a bigger sink.

janeytilllie
June 16th, 2009, 06:23 AM
I have washed my hair upside down for about two years now. When it was shorter than BSL I had absolutely no problems, I could just flip my head back after washing my hair and it went nicely back to its place :) Now that I'm almost at waist, I get some tangles after the flipping, but they are quite easy to detangle. I think my hair has somehow adjusted to being washed this way, since I've done it for so long. I can't stand a cool shower in the morning, and I don't want to go to bed with wet hair so I wash my hair this way in the morning and take a warm shower without wetting my hair in the evening :D

I might try washing up side down again since my hair is now APL maybe it will work and my won't tangle :D

janeytilllie
June 16th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Alas, I cannot. I dilute shampoo in a squeeze bottle and inject it under my wet hair, press not lather, and my scalp is so much happier and sheds less.

Squirt bottles are hair friends!

Thank you for the tip on squirt bottles :D