PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Hair dresser experience

Kirin
May 8th, 2009, 10:11 AM
My husband was about to do some weed whacking on his head, as just past his shoulders, there's so much of it, it weighs a ton. It also grows out and up, driving him nuts.

My youngest daughter has been complaining about two months now about the velcro tanglies, and absurd stringy-ness of his BSL hair.

My hair, about two inches from BLS (after growing a year and a half from a pixie) was driving me nuts. Lank, flat, stringy and yes, the velcro nature tangles.

The usual culprits were addressed, and still the problem, and we all realized, okay, its time for a good trimming. My usual hair place closed down with no warning, so we've avoided it, waiting not the two week rule, but the month rule LOL. Now, where to go? The only other place close to me was in the mall.

I went with apprehension to Master Cuts in the mall, where two hairdressers were, one not busy, the other hot ironing another woman's hair........... I shuddered, uh oh.

My fear dissipated as my husband sat in the chair and she said "Okay, what are we doing with you today?".

We explained we work a lot of Renaissance faires where long hair is mostly a requirement.... and my husband noted his hair weighs a ton, giving him headaches, its always in his face, puffs out, ect. She listened, and nodded. I held my breath.

She discussed it with him to go for layers, and not take off any major length, maybe a half inch from the back as his ends were split and dry (they were, bad too). She wouldn't use thinning shears as those "destroy the hair and it will grow in puffier".

Though the floor looked like my husband lost a dozen furry animals, ...... other than neater, lighter and I could run my hand through it again, it didn't even look like he had a hair cut.

Then came the daughter, who sat in the chair, saying she wanted a "deep V" shape in back, and to cut her bangs which she'd been growing out...... her response was:

"Your fringe is really long, almost past your ears, its annoying, but you are -almost- there. Why don't you wait another month or two, because once they are gone, they're gone. I'll do a dusting on them as since they've been growing so long, they are tangling with split ends (they were I saw). The V will take off a LOT of length, how about a U shape, and if you don't like it we'll go for more?"

My daughter agreed, she dusted the bangs, did the U........ and my daughter LOVES it. She did not go for the bangs or more for the V shape. Another satisfied customer.

Then me...... I had straight blunt bangs that had been way overdue for a trim, a 1/2 of layer left on the length which has not really been touched since pixie + bleach over a year and a half ago. My hair is thin, really thin, no body, flat stringy bleh. I didn't even open my mouth.

"How about this much?" taking a lock of my hair and using her fingers as a guide of about two inches, "It will grow back, but you will be happier with thin hair to have a blunt hair line and get rid of the uneven growing out layers. The ends are really snaggy, so you'll loose less hair if you get the bottom cleaned up. For the front, I see you color your hair, and have problems with the gray root line at the temples. "

"Yes" I said, "I do, What I would like is a heavy bang, and angled sides that sort of taper down into the length, so when i put it up I have tendrils that hide my receeding hairline".

"Thats a lot of length off the side, you sure? I'll do a mild taper first, and we'll see"

We agreed, she did exactly what she said, and I wanted more off the sides, which she did.

I couldn't be happier, I tipped her greatly too. My hair looks -fabulous- and i love it again. I miss the two inches, however, my body and wave came miraculously back and the face framing hair makes me look 10 years younger.

Its been proved to me, there really are terriffic hair dressers out there that really listen, hooray!!

patience
May 8th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I'm so glad you had a such a nice experience. Hope you kept her card.

natt i nord
May 8th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Can't you send her to Germany? I'd love to have such a hairdresser here.

But I'm glad you had such a nice experience with this and I'm sure it will help you now when you love your hair this way :)

CindyLea1
May 8th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Excellent! I'm glad you had a good day at the salon. 2" will be back in no time, and I bet you look lovely with the face framing layers!

zombi
May 8th, 2009, 11:37 AM
That gives me hope!! My blunt fringe is due for a trim, too, but I've been putting it off because of the horrid nature of the last time I went in. I'm glad you found someone who listens/understands long hair!

enfys
May 8th, 2009, 11:43 AM
She sounds like a member from here!

And what will happen now? You'll have great hair, people will ask where you got it done, they'll go too and business will be booming. Good hairdresser lady.

spidermom
May 8th, 2009, 11:49 AM
How fortunate; you lucked out!

eyesofsummer
May 8th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Wow, lucky! It sounds like she communicated really well. Last time I got a haircut, the woman hardly said anything, she just ripped away at my poor hair with a fine-toothed comb. Ouch!

I'm glad you found such a great hairdresser!

heidi w.
May 8th, 2009, 12:12 PM
I think you found a keeper.

heidi w.

Wavelength
May 8th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Congratulations! :D

Pixna
May 8th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Is she a long-hair herself? I am amazed at the lingo she used -- it's like she's been to LHC! What an incredibly positive experience! YAY for you and your family!!!! (Hope you tipped her VERY well!)

Tap Dancer
May 8th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Sounds like you all have really great-looking hair. I love stories like this one! :thumbsup:

amaiaisabella
May 8th, 2009, 12:34 PM
That's so great to hear! I hope you have other LHC members in your area who can benefit from her styling.

On another topic, how often do you guys do Ren faires? I love going there- and the hair is always amazing! :)

Kirin
May 8th, 2009, 12:45 PM
I tipped her really really well, its a discount hair cut place, where a cut is around 13 bucks, I tipped her ten for the three of us..... almost the cost of a fourth hair cut.

I was really clear that the length was not nessesarily a -personal- choice (it is, but hey) but its a professional requirement. She seemed to understand that right away, even though her hair was VERY short. She didn't have a card, but gave me her usual hours of work, so i know what days of the week i can find her there. We were really pleased and told her so, and yes, I will recommend her!

As for ren faires, I sell my artwork at them, so looking the part of a medieval artist is important, long locks and all! I do as many as is feesable for us to drive to.

Gutterfayrie
May 8th, 2009, 12:50 PM
She sounds like a keeper!

girlcat36
May 8th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Wow! I am in awe of that hairdresser.

LaurelSpring
May 8th, 2009, 02:40 PM
I actually had a good experience at MasterCuts a couple of years ago. I had a picture and I went in and she did it perfectly. I was very pleased. That was pre-LHC.

LadyEliza
May 8th, 2009, 03:01 PM
can we adopt her?

Forever_Sophie
May 8th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Lucky! I am jealous beyond words! :p

Delila
May 8th, 2009, 03:23 PM
What a great story! I'm glad it all went so well.

I'd suggest making sure to develop more than a passing acquaintance with this wonder, so that if she changes salons, you'll be able to follow her if you want to.

Kiraela
May 8th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Wow! Congrats on finding such a great stylist! She definately sounds like a keeper!

Fractalsofhair
May 8th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Wow congrats! Maybe once my hair gets a little longer I'll have to take a trip down to Connecticut... Care to share for those of us in the NE area which stylist she is and what one she works at? Fine if you don't want to, I'm just in desperate need of a good stylist that doesn't insist I bleach my hair or something along those lines!