PDA

View Full Version : Is hair spray damaging?

MadPirateBippy
May 8th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Ok, supposedly I'm a guru and I should know this by now. :rolleyes:

I've been doing updos and some of them look much better on me with a little hairspray to make them all sleek. I know most people who use hairspray also blowfry, flat iron, use metal brushes, back comb, chemically bleach, or do other horrible things to their hair that damage it, so all of those activities have sort of been lumped as "damaging things".

Is there anything bad about hairspray by itself? I mean, my second day hair ITCHES when I use hair spray, but is the alcohol in it drying? Are there ingredients I should avoid? I've only been using it for a couple weeks now and I'm really enjoying it, but it's becoming a habit so I want to make SURE that I'm not hurting my hair.

RancheroTheBee
May 8th, 2009, 01:27 AM
From what I understand, it causes the cuticles to stick to one another, sometimes ripping off some the scales of the hair.

And alcohol can be very drying.

That said, if hairspray is ALL you're doing, I'd still say good on you. I use it occasionally; sometimes, you need it.

Arctic
May 8th, 2009, 02:47 AM
I also think the alcohol is drying. I do use hair spray but limit it to special occasions.

Queenie
May 8th, 2009, 03:24 AM
What Arctic said. When I'm performing I'll use some hairspray, but sparingly. I don't notice any drying effect. That being said I only use it on my scalp hair, and I have very oily hair.
I think there are some hairsprays that are alcohol free, I had one some time ago, can't remember the brand though :ponder:

Heavenly Locks
May 8th, 2009, 04:32 AM
Is there a way you can use it without combing it out before you wash it? If it's sticking the cuticles together and potentially damaging them when they come apart...maybe just wetting your hair when you get done for the day would be good enough to dissolve the spray? (am I making sense?)

Longlocks3
May 8th, 2009, 06:22 AM
I find lots more breakage when I use hairspray. I think it's the fact that you're essentially gluing your hair together in parts so they can no longer move.

Maybe there are some sort of safer natural stiffeners for your hair you can use? Or just hair spray seldom and baby the hair a lot afterward.

Nightshade
May 8th, 2009, 10:40 AM
On top of being drying, I think it can also pull off cuticle scales when the welds break apart.

http://www.pg.com/science/haircare/hair_twh_111/hair_twh_111_02.jpghttp://www.pg.com/science/haircare/hair_twh_111/hair_twh_111_03.jpg

The first photo shows the hair held in place by hairspray, the second shows the shell left by the hairspray after the two hairs have been pulled apart. Note the impression of the cuticle scales left behind.

Tabitha
May 8th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Wow that's a scary photo! (where DO you find them, Nightshade?! :lol:) I had no idea about that. I just know I hate the smell!

MPB could you possibly get the same smoothing/holding effect from a bit of aloe vera, whether smoothing the gel directly onto your hair or making up a misting concoction to spray?

LittleOrca
May 8th, 2009, 10:51 AM
My sister used hairspray this morning and I just shuddered and made sure my hair was far away from it. I've been hairspray free since *reads Join Date* Feb 2009. *Has an AA-like group clap for her*

Forever_Sophie
May 8th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Not one bit, IME. I've worked in daycares w/ lice problems, so I used to put mine up daily, locked w/ hairspray since it's supposed to deter lice. Never had a problem. And I mean TONS of hairspray!

CindyLea1
May 8th, 2009, 11:13 AM
I agree with Heavenlylocks. If you use it spareingly you are fine.

When I use it I just spray a pump or 2 over my hair to keep the shorties down. When I take my hair out to wash it, I detangle the ends and don't touch the parts I sprayed. If I brush, or comb, the sprayed bits it hurts. The hairs pull out of my scalp, and I can feel them ripping apart.

In the shower I let the water run over my scalp to loosen the bonded hairs. Then I wash and condition as usual. I detangle again with a wide tooth comb and my fingers while it is soaking on conditioner.

Doing this, I have not found the alcohol to be drying. I use Rave brand number 4 hold. This stuff could be used to hold up the Leaning Tower of Piza! But I use just a LOT less than I did int he 80's. HEHEHEHEHEHE

Rain76
May 8th, 2009, 11:17 AM
I used hairspray for many years, up until about 3 years ago, when I realized my hair is completely different than it used to be. It grows in very, very thin & fragile, and I absolutely CANNOT use anything sticky like hairspray or spray gel. I wish I could, though, because I have these little hairs around my face that go flying everywhere when I have an updo, and it is windy out. They get all in my mouth & eyes. very annoying!

baobhan sith
May 8th, 2009, 11:48 AM
I think that hairspray would damage your hair, because it's designed to glue hairs in place to eachother, and when you try combing/brusing it out that's going to put quite a lot of stress on the hair, possibly similar to just ripping a comb through without detangling first, but maybe if you did it really carefully, or washed it out before doing anything else, it might be fine. But i think if that's the worst thing you do to your hair, your hair's doing pretty well!

Nightshade
May 8th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Wow that's a scary photo! (where DO you find them, Nightshade?! :lol:) I had no idea about that. I just know I hate the smell!

I have my sources :twisted:

Honestwitness
May 8th, 2009, 12:11 PM
I'm a newbie and I have used hairspray for years. However, since becoming a LHC member, and reading about how to properly care for long hair, I am trying to quit. I did read an article somewhere that said aerosol hairspray is better for your hair than pump spray, so I bought a can of Aussie aerosol. I love it, because it smells like grape koolaid.

I notice a BIG difference in how my hair responds to aerosol versus pump. The droplets are much smaller with aerosol and IF I do comb through hair sprayed with aerosol, I notice much less snapping than when I comb through hair sprayed with pump. Now that I'm growing my hair long, I am ultra-aware of those snapping sounds. There was a time when I would have ignored them, but no more. Those pics of Nightshade's made me really think about the long-term effects of hairspray.

I have also started using a really nice mousse by Organix. It's called Coconut Milk, or something like that. It smells wonderful. It has egg whites in it, which is a binder. It adds bulk to my hair, without making it sticky. I can get by with less hairspray, when I use it.

I try to spray only my bangs with hairspray, because I'll keep trimming them anyway. But, I have completely stopped using any hairspray at all on the length.

florenonite
May 8th, 2009, 01:17 PM
On top of being drying, I think it can also pull off cuticle scales when the welds break apart.

http://www.pg.com/science/haircare/hair_twh_111/hair_twh_111_02.jpghttp://www.pg.com/science/haircare/hair_twh_111/hair_twh_111_03.jpg

The first photo shows the hair held in place by hairspray, the second shows the shell left by the hairspray after the two hairs have been pulled apart. Note the impression of the cuticle scales left behind.

We can always trust you to provide the scary pictures whenever anyone suggests using anything that could harm their hair :p

enfys
May 8th, 2009, 03:11 PM
I used hairspray a fair bit when my fringe was too short to pin back, but I could stick it back. It was so strong I could spray it day one, leave it til day three or even four, then wash it out.

I guess that means I wasn't tearing apart my scales...

Now I don't need it I try to avoid it, and aloe vera gel is my first port of call. If it's just for smoothing it seems to do the job just as well.

I'm pretty sure it attracted bees too. That's a risk no-one else mentioned!

Dez
May 8th, 2009, 03:33 PM
you can get an alcohol free hairspray. that pic looks scary. But i think that if you're using your hairspray to tame back frizzies when your hair is pulled back. I think that'd be a lot less damage than say if you sprayed all your hair to make it "crunched"

Fractalsofhair
May 8th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Hairspray actually seemed to reduce the damage on my hair. I used conditioner to wash it out, which probably prevented the cuticles from ripping. I often tease my hair and things like that, and I do have a lot of damage on my hair from chemicals and heat, but when my hair has been virgin or close to it, the teasing and hair spray didn't cause any issues. I'm not talking slight teasing either, I'm talking Siouxsie Sioux/Robert Smith hair!

However, it does depend on your hair. I suggest a gel or a homemade flax gel if you don't need a really strong gel. I've heard those are good. Also, a dab of diluted honey might work, or aloe vera gel. If you need a strong hold, hairspray is probably a better bet than some natural ways. Coating your hair in cornstarch mixed with water is probably more damaging than a thin coat of hairspray. Also, occasional use probably isn't an issue as long as you wash your hair the day after.

swirlytresses
May 8th, 2009, 05:25 PM
I use hairspray on occasion but make sure it has no "cones" and such. The alcohol can be drying but I don't have problems with it since I hardly ever use hairspray. I have used and like Giovanni hairspray, its a spritz, I believe. I don't think the Giovanni has alcohol, but I could be wrong. When I use hairspray, I let the water run on my hair, condition and then I use a poo bar or dairy whip and then condition again. I find this causes no problems with drying.

Speckla
May 8th, 2009, 05:27 PM
I use hairspray on my bangs and that's all. I think it can ruin hair if your run your fingers through it to break it up. I wet all my hair and let the hairspray dissolve first before shampooing or cowashing. I only use it when I wear my bangs straight.

hennaphile
May 8th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Real Purity makes an alchohol free spray, and the Organic Excellence spray is pretty nice and I think non-damaging.

Arctic
May 9th, 2009, 03:35 AM
One hair spray tip: You can spray a bit in to your hands or brush (if you use one) and quickly smooth the flyaways at the surface. Minimal stiffness and product.

Arctic
May 9th, 2009, 03:42 AM

I have always had the impression (pun intended) that this doesn't mean that the actual cuticles are teared from the hair and would stick to hairspray. To me this says that it's replica, impression, of the cuticle that is seen in hairspray "mold".

Ofcourse over time this kind of mechanical action might cause damage, but I wanted to point this out because I felt people in this thread take this photo to mean the actual cuticle is teared off with the single use of hairspray.

Fethenwen
May 9th, 2009, 03:57 AM
Hmm, I think it should be quite risk free if washed off from hair. One has to be careful not to brush it with hairspray in it, because that would obviously cause breakage. I can't believe those hairspray bottles still have text on them saying that it can be brushed off.
I know from my own experience that hairsprays caused a lot of shedding, irritation on the scalp and breakage if I went to sleep with hairspray still in it. And trying to brush the mess out of my hair was a very bad idea. So, don't do that and you should be fine :)

Fethenwen
May 9th, 2009, 03:58 AM
Hmm, I think it should be quite risk free if washed off from hair. One has to be careful not to brush it with hairspray in it, because that would obviously cause breakage. I can't believe those hairspray bottles still have text on them saying that it can be brushed off.
I know from my own experience that hairsprays caused a lot of shedding, irritation on the scalp and breakage if I went to sleep with hairspray still in it. And trying to brush the mess out of my hair was a very bad idea. So, don't do that and you should be fine :)

3azza
May 9th, 2009, 04:15 AM
when i was a kid i remember that women used to spray lemon juice to their hair to fix it when they have a wedding or some occasion.
I also read an article, maybe on MSN, about hair mistakes and they said that hairspray is not as bad, the alcohol in it eventually evaporates (it's like rinsing your hair with beer) and the effective ingredient is a ploymer that coats hairs and protects them.
Alcohol dries hair for sure, but i guess if it is used on already wet hair that would minimize the problem. As for the glueing substance, i guess you spray, hair should not be touched until washed away.

Chrissy
May 9th, 2009, 07:48 AM
I have fine hair so if I pull it back I do use some hair spray on my hair. Otherwise it looks terrible. I just use it so the little fly aways will stay put. I also have the Aloe Vera gel. That works well as long as it's not a really windy day. Mine looks very bad if I don't use something to keep those darn flyaways in there place. Oh and I don't spray my entire head. Just enough to tame it.

MadPirateBippy
May 9th, 2009, 06:03 PM

It did look like that hair was already slightly damaged, but i get the point- I'll see if aloe in the hair works better for a while, first, although it tends to cause tangles if I don't wash it out- aloe is a primary ingredient in a lot of the products they sell for people who's hair is dreadlocked because it CAN make it tangle so.

Nightshade
May 9th, 2009, 06:51 PM
I have always had the impression (pun intended) that this doesn't mean that the actual cuticles are teared from the hair and would stick to hairspray. To me this says that it's replica, impression, of the cuticle that is seen in hairspray "mold".

Ofcourse over time this kind of mechanical action might cause damage, but I wanted to point this out because I felt people in this thread take this photo to mean the actual cuticle is teared off with the single use of hairspray.

I think you're quite correct that it's a reverse impression of the cuticle :) I think, though, on damaged hair or hair that damages easily that you could use cuticle scales this way.