PDA

View Full Version : Lots of questions, help would be great :)

Starla Dear
May 7th, 2009, 09:53 PM
I apologize if this isn't the right place for it, but finding out what this hairstyle is called so I could google instructions has been driving me crazy for over a year now, haha.

http://european-films.net/images/stories/preview/silkpreview.jpg

How in the world do I get my hair like that? I have no idea how you're supposed to do the bun/whatever style is used for the rest of the hair after twisting it on the sides. And how do I twist it on the sides?

My hair's down to my waist and since it's fine after a regular washing and conditioning and brushing, I barely know what to do with it besides buns and pulling the sides back, so mostly I make a nice part to the side and let it hang loose. Though it's a wonderful free feeling, dont get me wrong, I'd like to do a little more with it. Actually I know what I want to do with it, I just dont know how :P I've heard wonderful things about getting waves/curls from rope braids, crown braids, etc but again I'm clueless as to how to do it. And that is a hairstyle I've wanted to try for awhile but like I said, no clue. I'm also not very good with hairstyles, mostly because I just dont have time dring the school year to practice, but I figured this summer (the first summer it's been this long), I might as well learn now. Also, any recomendations as to how I should wear my hair while swimming so it doesnt get all tangled?

If anyone could help me out-any website or book recomendations or instructions, esp. on the hairstyle in that pic-I'd really really appreciate it.

Cinnamon Hair
May 7th, 2009, 11:03 PM
For a book recommendation, I suggest Hair: A Book of Braiding and Styles (http://www.amazon.com/Hair-Braiding-Styles-Anne-Johnson/dp/1570540187/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241758739&sr=8-2). But you don't need it to do that style. To get the roll look take a small section of hair from the front and gently twist it toward your head until it starts to curl like that. Experiment to get the right amount. You'll probably need to use a clip of some sort to keep it from unraveling. Then just do a loose fluffy/messy cinnamon bun. A cinnamon bun is when you take all your hair hold one hand at the base like a ponytail and use the other to twist until the hair begins to coil in on itself and shape it around in a circle tucking the ends under the base. Secure with sticks or pins, or whatever you like.

Teazel
May 8th, 2009, 02:37 AM
I second Cinnamon Hair's book recommendation. It has very clear instructions, and the photos are gorgeous. :)

There are also a lot of style tutorials here on LHC and on YouTube.

brok3nwings
May 8th, 2009, 03:35 AM
i also suggest (this is one of my favourite styles and the last one i found) to twist your hair on the sides you take peace by peace. first you take a bit of hair at the front/fringe and then twist it all then you add some more and twist two times and add and twist. the pieces of hair you take to do this is as if you were going to do a french braid, by this i mean they are small pieces next to each other with the same quantity of hair in each one

UrsaMama
May 9th, 2009, 08:00 AM
What movie is that pic from? I couldn't figure it out.

Torrin Paige
May 9th, 2009, 08:21 AM
So I did a tutorial on Dorothy braids a while back...I show you how to do the rolls at the beginning (like Cinnamon Hair explains) if you're more of an audio/visual learner like I am. Just clip it off once it's rolled, do the other side, then bun it! Here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRoxdOPQvdE
If you want waves, I've got a tutorial for that, too. :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0NMLSUICp4
I try to add a new style every week or so, so maybe you'll find other styles there that you'll like to try! I wish you luck!

Heavenly Locks
May 9th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Hey Torrin Paige, how can I get my side rolls not to look so tight? I was trying the style linked by the OP and Mine were teeny. Is there a secret to puffier ones or is it just my hair thickness?

Torrin Paige
May 9th, 2009, 09:20 AM
I'm sure hair thickness probably has something to do with it, but I think if you tried rolling it a bit looser, that might help. Or, make yourself a couple of hair rats to roll up into your rolls...that'll give you great volume! ( Just start saving all the hair from your combs and brushes. You'll be amazed at how much you shed on a daily basis.) I made one for my mom by using her hair so she could replicate those "Bump It" styles without spending any money. :o)