PDA

View Full Version : "Floor length hair is dirty and gross"

Neon Gloss
April 6th, 2008, 09:52 AM
So, I was at my friend's house and we all had our laptops. One of my friends was looking at youtube videos, and came across a video of a girl with floor length hair. The first thing I heard was "ew". I looked at the screen, and I was overpowered by the length.. I definitely got jealous, whereas my other friends were making a bunch of comments about how gross it was that her hair was THAT long. To them, it's as disgusting as having 3 ft fingernails. Surely that girl doesn't walk down the street with her hair dragging behind her. She probably just let her hair down for the video, and plus, it's nice having your hair down every once in a while.

Hearing the COUNTLESS negative things that people say about long hair sometimes makes me wonder what I'm getting myself into.

Feisty Redhead
April 6th, 2008, 09:58 AM
When my aunt was younger she always kept her hair floor length +. She had literally at least 2 feet of hair that would drag on the floor behind her when she let it down. I remember being so awe struck the few times I'd get to see her hair down like that. It was rare for her to have it down, and when she did it was only at home right before bed, after she'd washed it, let it dry then combed it out. She'd usually braid it right back up again but occasionally she'd leave it loose while finishing up a few little things around her house before braiding it again and going to bed.

She keeps it about hip/tailbone length now though but still always has braided or in a braided bun except those rare times before bed. Even though it's lot shorter now it's always been stunningly beautiful.

akurah
April 6th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Hearing the COUNTLESS negative things that people say about long hair sometimes makes me wonder what I'm getting myself into.

I'm not sure what you mean by that comment.

If you're not sure you're going to be able to handle the occasional "ews" at longer lengths, the constant badgering to donate your hair, and (heaven forbid!) criticism of your hair care routine (should you ever share it), are you sure long hair is for you?

Neon Gloss
April 6th, 2008, 10:13 AM

If you're not sure you're going to be able to handle the occasional "ews" at longer lengths, the constant badgering to donate your hair, and (heaven forbid!) criticism of your hair care routine (should you ever share it), are you sure long hair is for you?

Hm, I definitely don't mind people putting things as bluntly as possible (honesty is love), but excess amounts are never a good thing for anyone. =) I used to love short hair, but a few years back I gained an appreciation and a longingness for long hair. We'll just have to wait and see how my tolerance of the negative comments goes, since my hair still is rather short in my eyes. =) I always focus on the good things, but the bad sometimes can be a bit triggering momentarily.

kwaniesiam
April 6th, 2008, 10:19 AM
I can totally relate, not a length issue for me however. Most people see dreadlocks and automatically assume dirty, doesn't wash their hair, or into drugs. I wash my hair every 5-7 days, and for most normal people that does seem like quite a stretch, but on LHC it's fairly average (and there's nothing wrong with more or less frequent washings either). I'd say the best thing to do is once your hair gets longer, show them exactly how pretty and clean long hair can be. Besides, most of those comments were probably made out of jealousy. Every little girl wants ridiculously long (in a good way!) princess hair at some point :flowers:

Xan
April 6th, 2008, 10:21 AM
floor length hair is so beautiful and yes I agree I would be jealous too. I would love my hair that long but it probably wont get that long. If people don't like it thats their problem.

zift
April 6th, 2008, 10:25 AM

That approach is a bit harsh akurah. I almost sense an accusation to the OP for feeling that way. I can't help but agree with Neon Gloss, I hate those kinds of comments too. Who are they to judge how we wear our hair! And even my hair isn't floor length it's still very long and I got a lot of stares and comments everywhere I go and sometimes get sick of them. But to give something to cheer us up, the positive comments and compliments definately overcome the negative ones. And you find yourself getting used to them over time. Someone with shorter hair might find it terrifying and especially if it's an introvert person but long hair takes a lot of attention and you'll learn to live with it. And if you don't like the whole lot of looks,you'll just wear it up and forget about it...You don't need to question yourself or others f they're suitable for long hair or not! She should at least try and see, don't you think?

AmandaPanda
April 6th, 2008, 10:25 AM
excess amounts are never a good thing for anyone. =)

I've seen people with "excess amounts" of hair, and it seems like a good thing to them.

Or did you mean excess amounts aren't always a good thing for everyone?

prosperina
April 6th, 2008, 10:34 AM
I've seen people with "excess amounts" of hair, and it seems like a good thing to them.

I thought she meant excess amounts of negativity--such as the comments some of her friends were making. And I get that, I'm fine if someone disagrees with me, but if someone goes on and on about how bad something is, and it's something I like, it makes me uncomfortable.

zift
April 6th, 2008, 10:35 AM
I think excess amounts aren't a good thing for anyone too. But just it lies in the eyes of what that person relates to as "excess amount". For example I think floor length is very beautiful and not excess at all:) I mean if someone feels they have something too much and are not happy with it they shouldn't be judged why they think it's excess right? ETA: They can be judged by putting their thoughts to words by being mean though. I might understand someone who will think my hair is too long but wouldn't like it if they come insult me saying eeeew.
Neon Gloss, do you find floor length hair excess amount? Because I got confused if you agree with your friends or not.Or did you mean the excess amount of comments?

Jason
April 6th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Or you could look at those comments as a validation of sorts. It proves you have long enough hair to be considered out of the norm and in my view at least, that means you've arrived as a longhair!!

Delila
April 6th, 2008, 10:40 AM
One of the things I've learned along the way as my hair has gotten longer and longer, is that sometimes you've just got to be patient.

Sometimes, you need the patience to just wait out the urge to trim.

Sometimes you need the patience to keep trying new techniques to see which updo you can manage at a given length.

Sometimes you need the patience to figure out how to change your haircare to adapt to your new length and various problems that can sometimes emerge along the way.

Sometimes, you need the patience to hear out other people who've expressed a negative opinion about longer hair. Hear them out, then either a) discuss why you disagree with them or b) discuss how negative their attitude seems, and explore ways to expand their awareness of what having longer hair is really like, or c) find something else to talk about, or d) find someone else to talk to :p

getoffmyskittle
April 6th, 2008, 10:44 AM

Honestly, there are more positive than negative, especially if your friends aren't like... Hollister/Abercrombie kids. Even then, if you put on a pretty pink prom dress, they'll be shocked and tell you that you look like a princess. Try to remember that. :grin:

akurah
April 6th, 2008, 10:53 AM
That approach is a bit harsh akurah. I almost sense an accusation to the OP for feeling that way. I can't help but agree with Neon Gloss, I hate those kinds of comments too. Who are they to judge how we wear our hair! And even my hair isn't floor length it's still very long and I got a lot of stares and comments everywhere I go and sometimes get sick of them. But to give something to cheer us up, the positive comments and compliments definately overcome the negative ones. And you find yourself getting used to them over time. Someone with shorter hair might find it terrifying and especially if it's an introvert person but long hair takes a lot of attention and you'll learn to live with it. And if you don't like the whole lot of looks,you'll just wear it up and forget about it...You don't need to question yourself or others f they're suitable for long hair or not! She should at least try and see, don't you think?

I wasn't making accusations. I also wasn't making judgements. I was simply being honest. The OP didn't have a problem with my comment, and she responded fine. I don't see why you feel the need to pick a bone here.

peachy.pudding
April 6th, 2008, 11:19 AM
I can honestly agree with you, when i first joined this site i couldnt wait to grow to beyond floor length, but then i realised the negativity that comes with it, the comments, the updos, the stares, the drying time and the fact i would proberly feel a bit disabled with hair that trailed off to goodness knows where when i am not looking.

So yes after learning these things i have still decided to be a long hair at tailbone, but also avoid the hassle of sitting on it, having it drag on the floor the stares etc. Floor plus length is beautiful but it just would not fit into my life. In an ideal world i would love hair that trailed off all round the house but realistically i can still have long hair but also live a realistic life to.

spidermom
April 6th, 2008, 11:26 AM
People can have strange attitudes about hair, that's for sure. I got involved in selling Mary Kay cosmetics in a past life, and I was told I would have to cut my hair short or completely contain it in some way because the thought of hair getting into their makeup or on the table makes some people squeamish. I think it made my sales director squeamish. She was telling me I had to "do something about all that hair" and it was only about APL at the time.

zift
April 6th, 2008, 11:28 AM
I wasn't making accusations. I also wasn't making judgements. I was simply being honest. The OP didn't have a problem with my comment, and she responded fine. I don't see why you feel the need to pick a bone here.

I thought I got negative vibes but if there aren't ,I have definately misunderstood your post.Sorry for that akurah:flower:
ETA:I haven't seen the response of the OP to you until I posted my message and returned back to the thread.

Carolyn
April 6th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Neon Gloss, remember it was one opinion on one day of the year. Blow it off. It isn't worth your time in thinking about. However this should be a clue as to not talk about your hair goals and hair care methods with these people.

harpgal
April 6th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Neon Gloss, remember it was one opinion on one day of the year. Blow it off. It isn't worth your time in thinking about. However this should be a clue as to not talk about your hair goals and hair care methods with these people.
Neon Gloss, Carolyn is right! It is safer to come here to talk about your hair. I do not even discuss my hair with my family. It is always in an undo and no one really knows how long it is.

A funny happens as you grow to different lengths. You reach waist and it looks too short so you grow to tailbone. Again, it looks too short to you. Then you decided to grow to classic. Again....well you know the rest of the story. The conclusion is that you will never know if you like a certain length until you actually get there. Your best bet is to take very good care of it and enjoy it at every stage.

Saoirse
April 6th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Hm, I definitely don't mind people putting things as bluntly as possible (honesty is love), but excess amounts are never a good thing for anyone. =) I used to love short hair, but a few years back I gained an appreciation and a longingness for long hair. We'll just have to wait and see how my tolerance of the negative comments goes, since my hair still is rather short in my eyes. =) I always focus on the good things, but the bad sometimes can be a bit triggering momentarily.

There's no reason why you should have to tolerate other people's unnecessary, ill-informed criticisms.

Most people who criticise super-long hair have no understanding of the reality of those lengths (the reality being that long hair is neither unhygienic, gross, nor otherwise deserving of such denigration). But even if their criticisms were legitimate, that still doesn't give them the right to judge someone else's personal, individual choices.

People who feel entitled to judge others based on something like haircare don't deserve your considering their opinions. Brush them off and move on. :twocents:

DaveDecker
April 6th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Very well stated, Saoirse. To the OP, I'd like to add these comments:

"To thine own self be true." -- William Shakespeare

Don't let anyone talk you out of your dreams. No matter what hair length you may aspire to. Especially because your pursuit of your dreams has absolutely no detrimental effect on anyone else. You don't need to own their negativity (they can keep that for themselves!), but you can own your appreciation for long hair and your determination to grow it to your heart's content.

Quirky&Perky
April 6th, 2008, 02:22 PM
My take is that you can't please everyone all of the time so just please yourself. To me, super short hair looks terrible but I would never run it into the ground or say it looks like they have mange (no matter how much I may want to, lol!). People who are judgmental of others are not people whose opinions I value.
-Kallie

Cinnamon Hair
April 6th, 2008, 02:32 PM
A funny happens as you grow to different lengths. You reach waist and it looks too short so you grow to tailbone. Again, it looks too short to you. Then you decided to grow to classic. Again....well you know the rest of the story. The conclusion is that you will never know if you like a certain length until you actually get there. Your best bet is to take very good care of it and enjoy it at every stage.

This is so true! Also as you grow longer you will probably care less about what others think. The only person you should grow (or cut/style/whatever) your hair to please is yourself.

jojo
April 6th, 2008, 02:40 PM
I don't let comments like that get to me, at the end of the day i have my opinions and others have theirs. If they dont like long hair thats fine, I do and my opinion is all that matters. I grow it and wear it and if I want to grow as long as I want, thats my buisness.

Lady Godiva
April 6th, 2008, 03:31 PM
It must depend on the crowd that the floor-length long-haired person hangs with, because in my 20 years of having long hair (1.5 with it touching the floor), I haven't come close to receiving countless negative comments. The majority of comments are positive, some are surprised or shocked, and a few are negative, but very few. I choose to blow of those who choose to be negative. Who needs them anyhow?

If such rude, selfish, negative people persist in being that way, then I can come up with appropriate comments to put them in their place. "Hmm, let's alert the media" :disgust: comes to mind. ;)

So so so true. Enjoy each step and see where each one takes you! :D

When it comes to videos and photos of floor length hair, 99.9% of the time the person has taken it down for the moment, and as soon as the video or photos are taken, the hair goes back up. It's hard to imagine that there still are people who think we walk around with our hair dragging on the floor. We usually think that's EEW, too! :lol:

Lamb
April 6th, 2008, 03:35 PM
I wonder what these commenters say about long dresses with trails - now *those* are definitely dust-gathering! Hair
that is floor-length, but up and out of the way, is not.

Dianyla
April 6th, 2008, 03:41 PM
The majority of comments are positive, some are surprised or shocked, and a few are negative, but very few. I choose to blow of those who choose to be negative. Who needs them anyhow?
I really tend to think these kinds of comments happen more frequently when people see something on TV or just hear/read about it. They try to speculate what floorlength hair must be like and all they can come up with is "ew OMG it's yucky". Because it's such an old accumulation of bodily cells, and because, yeah, it is very long and yes it does get close to the ground and other dirty things (like, toilets). But when people see ultra-long hair in person they tend to realize "Oh, it doesn't look/smell/feel dirty" and they relax about it.

If they were really thinking about it, there are far dirtier things (like paper money, for example) that they handle every day and don't even think about. :uhh:

When it comes to videos and photos of floor length hair, 99.9% of the time the person has taken it down for the moment, and as soon as the video or photos are taken, the hair goes back up. It's hard to imagine that there still are people who think we walk around with our hair dragging on the floor. We usually think that's EEW, too! :lol:
Well, even when I do wear my hair loose and it is just an inch or two off the ground (while I'm standing still, if I lean over or sit down it can definitely drag) I still don't hear much in the way of negative commentary from people when they see it in person. :shrug:

Lady Godiva
April 6th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Well, even when I do wear my hair loose and it is just an inch or two off the ground (while I'm standing still, if I lean over or sit down it can definitely drag) I still don't hear much in the way of negative commentary from people when they see it in person. :shrug:
Heck, I deliberately wear heels so it will be an inch or two above the ground for the handful of times when I wear it loose during the year. Your coarse collection of protein cells definitely has the advantage or strength and resistance over my fine collection of protein cells! :wink:

Walking brooms. :p

You're right how people relax their attitudes a lot when they see such hair first-hand. :agree:

Dianyla
April 6th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Walking brooms. :p
Heh. I'll refrain from any comments about having my own portable broom along. :twisted:

jessie58
April 6th, 2008, 04:13 PM
I remember sitting in a restaurant with an old high school girlfriend, last year. We saw a woman walk past the window with classic length hair and my friend's reaction was of disgust. I thought it was beautiful and said so and the two of us sat in silence after that. I think that a few years ago, I would have been in agreement with her though.
It was not until I came here and began to live and breathe hair that I began to have a proper appreciation for lengths, colors, textures and individual choice.

moon-flower
April 6th, 2008, 04:16 PM
To me, I think floor-length is very beautiful. It takes a lot of care an attention to grow hair that long. And yes, most of the time, we wear are hair up if it is really long. Most people here would agree that long hair is a part of who they are, even though we may have diffrent reasons for growing our tresses. You shouldn't grow your hair longer than you want to. And no one can make you cut it, if you don't want to. Most people like my hair, and the only negetive things I hear is "It so long!, but really thin." or "You should cut the ends, cause the're thin and un-healty. But I ignore those comments, because long hair is apart of my relationship with God, and I part of who I am. I wouldn't cut it for anyone.

Robbi Dehlinger
April 6th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Hi!

Well, anything out of the ordinary tends to get attention, either negative or positive.

Of course, the 7 Sutherland Sisters did not get near as much attention when most women had long hair.

I am sure it will be a lot of work to keep it nice when mine gets that long, but it will be worth it!

Lady Godiva
April 6th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Heh. I'll refrain from any comments about having my own portable broom along. :twisted:
I'll respectfully defer to you on this matter. ;)

Riot Crrl
April 6th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Anyone who would take that much care of their hair to grow it that long, would probably not let it drag around on the floor very often. Thus, it is not gross.

longhairedfairy
April 6th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Anyone who would take that much care of their hair to grow it that long, would probably not let it drag around on the floor very often. Thus, it is not gross.

Well put :)

Here is an Asian long hair site with some of the prettiest hair I've seen. Take a look at the Heian Era stuff.
http:// www2u. biglobe.ne.jp/ ~longhair/Englishver.html (remove spaces)

Delilah
April 7th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Frankly I think chopped cropped bleached and highlighted hair that's full of waxes and toxic chemicals is disgusting. The artificial smell that wafts off some such heads makes me want to gag.

Sarahmoon
April 7th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Some people say "ew" to long hair, I say "ew" to layared, straightened, bleached to death hair. Tastes differ I guess :shrug:

sipnsun
April 7th, 2008, 03:11 PM
I know what you mean, my friends can't understand why on earth at my age I would want to grow out my hair. They think neat layers would be more appropriate. Well they can just get over it, because I'm not cutting my hair for anyone. You'll have to get used to some people's small minded thinking though.

Neon Gloss
April 7th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Neon Gloss, do you find floor length hair excess amount? Because I got confused if you agree with your friends or not.Or did you mean the excess amount of comments?

Oops, sorry, I meant excess amounts of negative comments. We can only handle so much of them. As for excess amounts of hair, bring it on! :cheese:

Some people say "ew" to long hair, I say "ew" to layared, straightened, bleached to death hair. Tastes differ I guess :shrug:

You know what the funny thing is? My friend who said "ew" to the girl on the video actually had layered, straightened, bleached hair. Go figure! :p

Anje
April 7th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I've never seen floor-length hair IRL. Personally, I don't think it's for me (partially because I really don't do high heels), because I do want to occasionally let my hair be loose and enjoy it, and because I think the care would be difficult when you have to stand on something to detangle it. But I think it would only be disgusting if it were allowed to get that way, which would be unlikely.

I might be inclined to find 7-foot-long hairs shed into the drain a bit disgusting, though.

Sarahmoon
April 7th, 2008, 03:30 PM
You know what the funny thing is? My friend who said "ew" to the girl on the video actually had layered, straightened, bleached hair. Go figure!
I knew it!!! ;)

By the way your hair looks beautiful in your picture. Imagine how beautiful when it becomes that long :)

homeschoolmama
April 7th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Well I can imagine that floor-length hair that actually DRAGGED on the floor would in fact get rather dirty and "gross." But I can't imagine anyone that was growing their hair out that long actually letting it drag behind them other than for the occasional photo or under special circumstances where they know their ends wouldn't get damaged.
love,
mom

MissHair
April 7th, 2008, 04:35 PM
My friends also think floor lenght is disgusting, infact, Ive got a friend who thinks that waist/hip lenght is disgustingly long. Like.. what the? I dont know why they feel that way.. Maybe media has brainwashed them into thinking only short cuts look good on people.. I for one love to be different, when I get my floor lenght hair I will definitely feel special and extraordinary. And I simply cant wait.

Alun
April 7th, 2008, 04:55 PM
I would definitely want to wear my hair loose most of the time, but I'm not sure what the limit is for doing that. Floor length is clearly beyond it, but anything less I'm really not sure. However, that doesn't stop me from braiding it when it would be inconvenient to leave it loose.

Right now, there's a post on MLHH (Men's Long Hair Hyperboard) from a guy who is having doubts because he has waist length hair and believes that he "has to" tie it back most of the time. Well no, he doesn't. I don't, and that's how long mine is. It's easy to get into a certain mindset about that, but when it reaches the floor, you can't just leave it dragging on the floor, and I'm sure no-one does.

That said, and getting more back to the topic of the thread, I don't think that hair beyond floor length is disgusting, I just don't want it for me. That's probably academic, as I'll be lucky if I can get down to my tailbone. If I can get it down that far I might grow it longer, I don't know for sure, but not to my feet.

Robbi Dehlinger
April 7th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Hi!

Many of you know Lady Grace (Suzy) who lives in Central Fla. Her hair drags the florr and she has been known to wear it down around the house, and occasionally at knee length when out and about.

It is lovely and she is a sweetie, also takes very good care of her hair!

Robbi

longhairedfairy
April 8th, 2008, 08:16 PM
I might be inclined to find 7-foot-long hairs shed into the drain a bit disgusting, though.

Hair on the drain is always disgusting, though:D

Anje
April 8th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Hair on the drain is always disgusting, though:D
Of course! :D

ilovelonghair
April 9th, 2008, 12:33 AM
People can have strange attitudes about hair, that's for sure. I got involved in selling Mary Kay cosmetics in a past life, and I was told I would have to cut my hair short or completely contain it in some way because the thought of hair getting into their makeup or on the table makes some people squeamish. I think it made my sales director squeamish. She was telling me I had to "do something about all that hair" and it was only about APL at the time.

Or people are afraid of brushes and combs because those are 'dirty'.

seabear
April 9th, 2008, 04:13 AM
It is human nature to notice something that is out of the ordinary, and a person with extremely long, floor-length hair is definitely out of the ordinary!

However, I consider it a sign of insecurity when people feel the need to comment negatively on the appearance of someone else. Their problem, not mine.

morningstar
April 9th, 2008, 07:42 AM
My first reaction Neon Glass to your post was this: you will have a good three years to grow to tail bone length. This length does not appear to most of the world as *freakish* so even then you will have time to get used to it (the hair, the comments etc...) If you choose to keep growing longer and longer you will know how to handle more of the comments be they postitive or negative. Friendships change as people change and the buddies you have now may not be in 3, 4 or 5 years. Just a thought...:blossom:

ilovelonghair
April 9th, 2008, 07:53 AM
But does it really happen that often that women get nasty remarkts due to their hair leght? I have very long hair but I only get positive reactions. Maybe it depends on the type of people you have around you. I live in a hippie dominated aria, so you can be much more free here then anywhere else.

spidermom
April 9th, 2008, 09:13 AM
But does it really happen that often that women get nasty remarkts due to their hair leght? I have very long hair but I only get positive reactions. Maybe it depends on the type of people you have around you. I live in a hippie dominated aria, so you can be much more free here then anywhere else.

I've often wondered about that, even to the point of wondering if people make up stories to tell on LHC. I have never gotten a negative comment about my hair, except possibly what I related earlier about my Mary Kay sales director telling me I had to "do something about all that hair" and a friend telling me how much it bothered her to have to clean other people's shed long hair off her furniture. I've never had a stranger come up and try to pet it. What kind of people do that? Not the people around here.

Sinnamon
April 9th, 2008, 10:18 AM
I personally wouldn't want to have floorlenght hair for the same reason as the girls you sat with said. I wouldn't want my hair scraping around dirt on the floor. I'd constantly have to wear it up because of that.. In my point of view I wouldn't enjoy long hair like that.

socks
April 9th, 2008, 10:43 AM
I used to actually get a lot of negative comments back when I used to have my hair down every day and it was a little frizzy. Even now when I keep my hair up most of the time and it's in basically perfect condition with nearly no split ends, I still receive the occasional negative comment. My hair is at a rather extreme length from most people's points of view, but I don't comment on how overly-bleached and dry their hair is, so I don't see why they make nasty comments on mine when I let it down. :( At east the positive comments outnumber the negative ones, but it'll probably get worse if I ever get my hair down to floor-length.

I've noticed that it's mostly younger women in their teens, twenties, and early thirties who make nasty comments. Children are always fascinated by long hair, and older women usually have nice things to say, often stories about how they used to keep their hair long when they were younger, too. Men, of course, are almost always appreciative. :D

Gemma
April 9th, 2008, 12:49 PM

I don't know about long hair because I haven't grown past BSL (yet!) but when I had a really short pixie crop, I got called a lesbian and '****' pretty often. A few guys took the opportunity to call me butch, too, as well as frigid. *eyeroll*

I've never had that kind of response with longer hair. Even when it was just at cheekbone length, people stopped the comments about my perceived sexuality.

Aize
April 9th, 2008, 02:39 PM
I'm getting close to waist-length hair, because of my job, I usually wear it up. When other people saw it down, the only comments I ever got was, "Wow, your hair is really long." A lot of girls look at it and have said, "I wish I could get mine that long." Anyone with an appreciation for long hair will absolutely adore anyone with floor-length hair. (At least I would, I turn neon green when I see anything approaching knees. :D)

People seem to draw a lot of their impressions about an individual on how his/her hair is.... Modern times, hair must be dyed, styled, bleached, cut, ironed.... and mangled to no end for the sake of appearance or the latest trend. Long hair, to me, cannot be any of these things if it's to be truly long and healthy. Lots of people don't know anything about their hair, or the amount of work it really is to maintain and grow long hair, they think people just grow it out and don't bother to trim it or- like a lot of others said, that they just let it drag along the floor. There are a lot of misconceptions about women with what is now considered extremely long hair- which was the fashion until the 1920s discovered the bob. I've seen some mean comments about about longer hair such as, "Guess she doesn't need to worry about toilet paper" people who make these comments likely never even considered growing their hair out, and often take their hair for granted. Floor length hair is the epitome of classic and natural beauty, it doesn't follow trends. (At least that's what I think. :) ) Have your hair and grow it out as long as you want- because only you know what's right and best for you, and you have to live with the choice, no one else. :)

ilovelonghair
April 10th, 2008, 07:37 AM
I've never had a stranger come up and try to pet it. What kind of people do that? Not the people around here.

That happened to me a few times, but not much. One was a hairdresser and wondered how I made the curls, she complimented me on them :). But then started examinating the curls :confused:

trolleypup
April 10th, 2008, 09:25 AM
You go right ahead and not comment...but I have hardwood floors. ;)

trolleypup
April 10th, 2008, 09:30 AM
I get nasty comments from time to time...vastly fewer than the compliments though.

You just can't care about what other people think of you/your hair...it is for you, not them.

intothemist1999
April 10th, 2008, 09:35 AM
I wonder if they could make an arguement for clean long hair being grosser than dirty, uncared for short hair :shrug:

intothemist1999
April 10th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Hm, I definitely don't mind people putting things as bluntly as possible (honesty is love), but excess amounts are never a good thing for anyone. =).

I thought the original quote as meaning excess amounts of things being put bluntly.

honeybunch
April 10th, 2008, 07:14 PM
I see what you mean. People are pretty blatant about how much they dislike long hair even on hair boards. However, if I said "eeew" regarding a short cut it would be considered uncouth and possibly offensive.

Dianyla
April 10th, 2008, 09:27 PM
You go right ahead and not comment...but I have hardwood floors. ;)
You also have a very convenient little step-stool that is perfect for standing on while I detangle my hair. :p

trolleypup
April 10th, 2008, 10:00 PM
You also have a very convenient little step-stool that is perfect for standing on while I detangle my hair. :p
Mmmhmmm!

pedestal

One likes to provide the little conveniences for one's friends. :*

longhairedfairy
April 10th, 2008, 10:18 PM
it's in basically perfect condition with nearly no split ends, I still receive the occasional negative comment.

Envy!:D

My hair is at a rather extreme length from most people's points of view, but I don't comment on how overly-bleached and dry their hair is, so I don't see why they make nasty comments on mine when I let it down.

See above:D

I've noticed that it's mostly younger women in their teens, twenties, and early thirties who make nasty comments. Children are always fascinated by long hair, and older women usually have nice things to say, often stories about how they used to keep their hair long when they were younger, too. Men, of course, are almost always appreciative. :D

I've also noticed that it is almost always another woman who makes negative comments about long hair. Most men tell me very sweetly, "Please never cut your hair. It's so pretty!"

Dianyla
April 10th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Mmmhmmm!

pedestal
It is not a pedestal! It's a steppy-stool! :lol:

One likes to provide the little conveniences for one's friends. :*
Minimum pillow:human ratio is 3:1. :gabigrin:

trolleypup
April 10th, 2008, 10:28 PM
You've never turned it upside down and seen what is written on the bottom then?

I'm glad then, that I'm not like someone I know with only a 2:1 ratio.

And there are enough comforters on my bed to keep anyone except an actual zombie warm.

longhairedfairy
April 10th, 2008, 10:34 PM

Maybe we could bring Japanese geta into fashion in the west!:D (Actually, I would love to get some anyway) They would keep hair from dragging on the floor.
http://www.karankoron.com/online_shop_top.html

Dianyla
April 10th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Maybe we could bring Japanese geta into fashion in the west!:D (Actually, I would love to get some anyway) They would keep hair from dragging on the floor.
http://www.karankoron.com/online_shop_top.html
Well, at least those shoes would buy you a few more inches... :)

WritingPrincess
April 11th, 2008, 12:49 AM
A funny happens as you grow to different lengths. You reach waist and it looks too short so you grow to tailbone. Again, it looks too short to you. Then you decided to grow to classic. Again....well you know the rest of the story. So true. My original goal was knee length, but now I'm thinking floor or beyond would be nice. This reminds me of something someone posted awhile back on a thread for the members here who joined within the first year or two. The question was, "Did you reach your original hair goals?" Her response, "I think I may have slightly overshot the mark. My original goal was classic length. Now, it's ankle length." I've always enjoyed that response.:)

Merlin
April 11th, 2008, 02:44 AM

"Men who put women on pedestals seldom ever knock them off"
(old British saying)

trolleypup
April 11th, 2008, 09:38 AM
"Men who put women on pedestals seldom ever knock them off"
(old British saying)
True enough...but they also make good pouncing platforms.

Robbi Dehlinger
April 12th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Hi trolleypup!

So what's that got to do with floor length hair? LOL

NICE hair on you!

pinchbeck
October 13th, 2009, 10:26 AM
It is incredible (wish I could find a better word) that lots of women have hair this length. It wows me and it is lovely providing the ends have been trimmed along the way. I would love to brush it! Have you seen the floor length hair competitions in China on Youtube?

My son thought my short length of 25" was excessive. His friends bothered him about my appearance resembling a hippie. I met my son half way and just cut 4" off three days ago. Yes...it feels weird, but I don't want my son to be embarrassed and made fun of. Everyone's idea of 'excessive' is different and a mere twenty-five inches for my son was excessive. However, no length is excessive when in tip top shape!

spidermom
October 13th, 2009, 11:01 AM
I think cutting 4 inches for your son's friends is a bit excessive. (but understandable, I guess, although kids wanting to pick on somebody will find a reason no matter what you do)

lynlora
October 13th, 2009, 11:58 AM

People will always find negative things to say about another person no matter what they do. Do not let it run your life ! It takes real character to be yourself rather than "conforming".

Amara
October 13th, 2009, 01:42 PM
I second (third, fourth, 20th) all the advice here about ignoring negativity. It can be super-hard, but you'll regret it if you cave to someone else's will. Really, what has their opinion got to do with you and what you want? It's your life, and your hair.

DaveDecker
October 13th, 2009, 02:16 PM
It is incredible (wish I could find a better word) that lots of women have hair this length. It wows me and it is lovely providing the ends have been trimmed along the way. I would love to brush it! Have you seen the floor length hair competitions in China on Youtube?

My son thought my short length of 25" was excessive. His friends bothered him about my appearance resembling a hippie. I met my son half way and just cut 4" off three days ago. Yes...it feels weird, but I don't want my son to be embarrassed and made fun of. Everyone's idea of 'excessive' is different and a mere twenty-five inches for my son was excessive. However, no length is excessive when in tip top shape!

An instructional opportunity bypassed. Maybe next time?

Elenna
October 13th, 2009, 02:30 PM
One of the most stunning sights I've ever seen was a lady with salt 'n pepper hair down to her heels. It was just beautiful. If her hair had been short, it wouldn't had made an impression.

23_seconds
October 13th, 2009, 02:42 PM
||||||||||

prittykitty
October 13th, 2009, 02:46 PM

Long hair is beautiful and of course just about anyone can handle having it. The question is, why would someone want to have it dragging on the ground? I feel that anyone with common sense with that long of hair would trim it to at least ankle length so that when wearing it down it is not collecting everything on the floor and getting damaged. If I had hair that long I would not want to hide it in a braid or bun all the time.

daydreamer
October 13th, 2009, 02:58 PM
A funny happens as you grow to different lengths. You reach waist and it looks too short so you grow to tailbone. Again, it looks too short to you. Then you decided to grow to classic. Again....well you know the rest of the story. The conclusion is that you will never know if you like a certain length until you actually get there.
Oh I have definitely found this to be true -- at waist it feels way too short!! I keep wondering if I'll feel the same way at my goal length, heheh.
My 15 year old brother also thinks that super long hair is gross, but eh, I'm not styling my hair for his benefit anyway. I agree it would be hard to get a ton of negative comments all the time, but I suspect it will be as others have said here, the positive comments will be far more often and will outweigh them. And as long as your long hair makes you happy, it's good eh!

Bene
October 13th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I figure that anyone with floor length and beyond hair would just keep it up and out of the way, so I can't see how it would be dirty. I'm almost convinced that people who think long hair is dirty are just dirty people. THEY don't move their hair aside or think that washing it is a hassle, so they imagine that everyone else is just as dirty as they are. Hence the comments about how long hair has poo in it.

Aside from the hygiene issue, there's the safety issue. You don't really want to have that kind of length down near a steam roller or a street cleaner or something :bigeyes:

Fractalsofhair
October 13th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Well, a lot of people don't know about updos as an everyday style. Your friend probably thinks the person walks around with floor length plus hair on the streets and such, which IS disgusting and gross and dirty, as much so as the bottom of your shoes. XD

Personally, I would never grow my hair past my ankles, and probably not past my hips. But even then, updos are wonderful things!

nowxisxforever
October 13th, 2009, 05:11 PM
I love longer hair like that ... I'm growing mine to term unless it gets too long for me to handle/enjoy :) It's currently passing Classic and on its merry way down my thighs, when held straight or wet, anyway!

I never get any negative comments...my hair is usually up...and the only comments I get are "Your hair is so LONG/pretty!" comments, but those are even rare.

nowxisxforever
October 13th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Long hair is beautiful and of course just about anyone can handle having it. The question is, why would someone want to have it dragging on the ground? I feel that anyone with common sense with that long of hair would trim it to at least ankle length so that when wearing it down it is not collecting everything on the floor and getting damaged. If I had hair that long I would not want to hide it in a braid or bun all the time.

But can you imagine the AMAZING buns?!

Edit: Also coronet braids! *swoon* One day, my hair will be long and uniformly thick enough to wear a coronet braid every day....

Alexannee10
October 13th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Floor lenght hair are gerogeous. It would be my dream ♥♥ !!

GlennaGirl
October 13th, 2009, 05:58 PM
I do not even discuss my hair with my family. It is always in an undo and no one really knows how long it is.

I don't really either. They have their own interests too that wouldn't make me jump up and down, so I feel it's understandable. If my husband asked me to be very interested in his flight sims, well, I just couldn't be. To each his or her own interest or admiration. :) Yours is very long hair--so grow it! We here will always be behind you in that. :)

YoginiCelestial
October 13th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Or you could look at those comments as a validation of sorts. It proves you have long enough hair to be considered out of the norm and in my view at least, that means you've arrived as a longhair!!

Jason, what a positive attitude you have! Thank you for that!
I second the motion!

Chrissy
October 14th, 2009, 05:44 AM
I concur with Jason. I can't wait to get to that stage of length where I'm getting comments negative or positive. I don't want negative but I don't really care. Grow hair grow!!!!!!!!!!

JamieLeigh
October 14th, 2009, 09:56 AM
There are a lot of people out there who just plain and simple DO NOT LIKE long hair. You can't please everyone, and if you walk around just waiting for compliments and others to admire you, you'd get REALLY tired of walking. Quickly! :p

You should do what YOU love, and from your gut reaction to the video, it sounds as though YOU love long hair. If that's what you want, then go for it. There are going to be people out there who will badger you about cutting, because that's what THEY like. You can't let other people get to you, YOU'RE NOT HERE TO DECORATE THEIR WORLD!!!! :D

Robbi Dehlinger
October 14th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Hi!

Long hair dirty and gross?? Not no but h---- no!

It is soft, lovely and VERY romantic, on girsl as well as guys!

People should go back to the 1890's and see how ladies dressed and ALL had long hair! Back then, if you had short hair you were looked at VERY askance!

Grow it until it looks like a bridal train if you like??

YAAAAAAY

Spike
October 15th, 2009, 11:33 AM
I think you get nailed for an appearance on either end of the bell curve--especially as a girl. Buzz cut? Oh, you're a ****. Waist or below? Ewwww, dirty, gross, frumpy--chop it off!

So what can you do? Please yourself. :cheese: Ultimately, you're the one who has to be happy when you look in a mirror.

Cinnamon Hair
October 15th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Grow it until it looks like a bridal train if you like??

A bridal train! Now that's the perfect solution! Wear it underneath and then your hair won't drag on the ground. Get a solid one, not netted. Way to go Robbi! :cheese:

julliams
October 16th, 2009, 04:17 AM
I think it's more of a personal thing. You will know when your hair is long enough for you to handle and what you are happy with. If that's floor, great, if it's waist length, great. Your impressions of the footage were positive and many other people's would also. It's just something you don't see every day so it seems very different. Some people like that and some don't. Also, sometimes people have more strong reactions to things when they are in groups than if you were talking to them about it one on one.

juliette