PDA

View Full Version : Vitamins?

CurlyNinja
March 9th, 2008, 12:12 AM
What kind of vitamins do you guys take? I've heard some talk of biotin and of the GNC hair/skin/nails vitamins, so my question:

What vitamins (if any) do you take, and what are some good things to look for in a hair growth-oriented vitamin?

nowxisxforever
March 9th, 2008, 12:33 AM
I've been lazy, but when I'm taking vitamins, I take all but the calcium in Bargello's vitamin regimen. [Calcium supplements make me ill]

eadwine
March 9th, 2008, 01:04 AM
I take vitamins too. Ones without vitamin A in it though, as I am getting those vitamins in aplenty through my regular food routine, and vitamin A can be dangerous when taken in too large amounts.

It doesn't have the skyrocket amount of biotin and whatnot in it; you don't need that anyway as what your body doesn't use gets in the urine anyway. It is from a Dutch store though, not available in the USA I think. Kruidvat brand; skin, hair and nails vitamin.

domonic_uk
March 9th, 2008, 06:23 PM
I take Nature plus seems to help me, the thing is that some hair vitamins are so expensive up to £30 a moths supply but when you look at the label they all contain pretty much the same thing only one item that is the magical addition that makes it better than all the rest.

BlndeInDisguise
March 9th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Biotin
Vitamin E
Omega-3 fish oil
multi-vitamin

I also take vitamin C, which is more for all-around health, but I guess the healthier I am, the healthier my hair is. :)

Shirlpunzel
March 9th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I take a daily generic multivitamin every evening (does anyone know if the timing matters?).

Also, I have a bottle of 1000 mcg biotin and and another that's a time release b-complex. It has :
300mg vit C
18 mg Thiamin
10 mg Riboflavin
50 mg Niacin
5 mg vit B-6
400 mcg folic acid
10 mcg vit B-12
50 mcg Biotin
10 mg Pantothenic Acid
With those two, I take one a day of each as well, but I split them and take half around breakfast and half around lunch. I figure since the b vitamins are water soluble, hopefully they'll work better if I don't get them all at once, and spread them through the day instead.

Supplements don't cover everything though. I try to make it a point to have a varied/healthy diet overall.

Cricket
March 9th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I've fallen off of the wagon on everything but the Omega-3. I should try to build back up to a decent regimen.

shellblue1
March 9th, 2008, 08:40 PM
I take a daily generic multivitamin every evening (does anyone know if the timing matters?).

Also, I have a bottle of 1000 mcg biotin and and another that's a time release b-complex. It has :
300mg vit C
18 mg Thiamin
10 mg Riboflavin
50 mg Niacin
5 mg vit B-6
400 mcg folic acid
10 mcg vit B-12
50 mcg Biotin
10 mg Pantothenic Acid
With those two, I take one a day of each as well, but I split them and take half around breakfast and half around lunch. I figure since the b vitamins are water soluble, hopefully they'll work better if I don't get them all at once, and spread them through the day instead.

Supplements don't cover everything though. I try to make it a point to have a varied/healthy diet overall.

This is very similar to my routine. What brand of the B-Complex do you take?

Accolady
March 9th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Blnde and I have a similar cocktail:

Biotin (I'm a lightweight - 300 for me)
Vitamin E
Omega-3 (I take the chewable Starburst-like things, can't stand fish burps)
One-A-Day (multi-vitamin)
MSM

:-) And PLENTY of water.

Karen Marie :)

Lasiren
March 9th, 2008, 09:55 PM
I take Trader Joe's women's multivitamins and minerals, plus 400 mg of folic acid and 1000 mg of biotin. It seems to work well for me, esp. considering that I don't eat very much.

Darian Moone
March 9th, 2008, 10:04 PM
I take LOTS of vitamins!

With breakfast I take:
Multi-Vitamin (without iron)
Biotin
B-Complex 50
MSM/Glucosamine
Magnesium
Calcium
GNC Hair Vitamin
Vitamin C
Zinc
Cod Liver Oil

At bedtime I take:
MSM/Glucosamine
Magnesium
Calcium
GNC Hair Vitamin

Of course, not all of these are taken for hair purposes, but rather for general over all health. It's what works for me. The amounts people need vary greatly depending upon age, physical condition, etc.

kdm310911
March 9th, 2008, 10:12 PM
I take the Futurebiotics hair, skin and nails. Being a guy, I really am not concerned with having better nails, but I do notice them growing quicker. No effect on hair yet, but it's only been 2 weeks and I've heard it takes a couple months to really reach your hair.

Lilibet
March 10th, 2008, 03:15 AM
At the moment I'm taking:

Bog standard supermarket multi-vitamin
Biotin
MSM
Glucosamine
Health food shops "hair/nail/skin" suppliment (when I remember to take it (it's supposed to be three times a day, I generally remember twice!))

Have been debating prenatal vits because apparently they are supposed to help hair growth and right now I need any help I can get :(

Shirlpunzel
March 10th, 2008, 12:01 PM
This is very similar to my routine. What brand of the B-Complex do you take?

Hi Shellblue1 :waving:
My B-complex is from Nature's Bounty. I've been buying them at the grocery store, but they have an url on the bottle: www.NaturesBounty.com.

Masara
March 10th, 2008, 12:02 PM
I take
hair and nails multi-vitamins
evening primrose
flaxseed oil (can't stand aything fishy)

All of these from healthspan (Channel islands based firm)

I tried MSM but my growth slowed right down. I know it's supposed to help and there is some in my multis but taking more didn't work for me.

BlndeInDisguise
March 10th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Blnde and I have a similar cocktail:

Biotin (I'm a lightweight - 300 for me)
Vitamin E
Omega-3 (I take the chewable Starburst-like things, can't stand fish burps)
One-A-Day (multi-vitamin)
MSM:-) And PLENTY of water.

Karen Marie :)

I forgot, I also take a B-complex as well.

Lol! I haven't noticed "fish burps". I was a little worried about it, but it's all good. I used to take MSM, but.....I've always hated taking pills (not that I have problems taking them, I just hate it), so I stopped the MSM.

icing
May 3rd, 2008, 02:05 AM
I take Jarrow Iso-Rich Soy (http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=339&at=0) or Iso-Rich Soy Greens (http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=178&at=0) protein powders and their Multi Easy (http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=242&at=0) powder, along with Amazing Grass Green SuperFood (http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=-1131223045648390846&at=0), StemTech StemEnhance (http://veganhealth.stemtechbiz.com/), and Deva Vegan Glucosamine MSM & CMO (http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=-6471590475442841011) for general health, but the only definite positive effects (not that I’ve seen any negative effects from anything, but I've tied only a few to definite positive changes, and then seen the less than fantastic results that occur whenever I've taken a break from my routine) I’ve seen hair and nailwise have come from the Jarrow protein powders and the StemEnhance… But the Glucosamine MSM & CMO is a very new addition (I started taking it a week ago), so I’ll report back if it seems to have an effect on my hair in the future. :P

icing
July 26th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Is it okay to post after myself like this?

I wanted to confirm that I’m still on this regimen, and my hair and nails seem to be growing even more quickly (and they look quite healthy!).

I’m not sure if my hair texture’s changed much more from this, but I have to file my nails more often, because they keep growing thick and long, pretty quickly.

Golden21
July 26th, 2008, 09:25 AM
I have only recently jumped on the vitamin bandwagon. I used to hate swallowing pills, but vitamins are so important. The vitamins that I take for my hair are:
hair vitamin (from wal mart)
Biotin
Multi
Fish Oil

I take many others also, but I don't think any of them do anything for my hair.