http://www.tymoshenko.com.ua/eng/photo/

Patty lou

spidermom
May 7th, 2009, 08:52 AM
That looks very nice.

embee
May 7th, 2009, 09:14 AM
She is a lovely looking woman!

I still don't understand how her hair, at that length, can make her "braid"...

patience
May 7th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Very pretty! A nice classy, elegant updo.

Now, if they just would give us a pic of the back of her head so I can see the styling better.

DeeM
May 7th, 2009, 09:21 AM
I would like to see her with her hair down. I bet it looks really good. :-)

Carolyn
May 7th, 2009, 09:27 AM
What a lovely updo! It's so elegant and sophisticated. How could anyone say an updo such as this one isn't appropriate for business?

DeeM
May 7th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Found this, and I think it's fairly recent.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_o8IYMUN48HY/R7UGupQU8AI/AAAAAAAAB_c/mRhZweoVR-

Kevyspen
May 7th, 2009, 09:48 AM
it does look lovely, this pic show the back of her head
http://www.tymoshenko.com.ua/eng/photo/92/96/?fid=1&recnum=4
:)

Anje
May 7th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Nice nape bun. Still, I'm partial to her faux crown braid, even if the thing is fake. I want to do that once I get to classic or so (and have had time for the ends to thicken enough so my head doesn't go sideways).

GeoJ
May 7th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Her nape bun does look nice. If I do a bun that low the part that rubs on my neck will always get messed up. I also like her crown braid.

Before my hair was long enough to wrap around my head, I would do two braids and wrap them in opposite directions around my head to get a similar look.

On my daughter's hair I do a real crown braid (dutch braid around the head). It looks nice, and it is the only way to get that look on her. I cannot do that on myself, though.

AuntyClaus
May 7th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Still, I'm partial to her faux crown braid, even if the thing is fake. I want to do that once I get to classic or so (and have had time for the ends to thicken enough so my head doesn't go sideways).

Oh, good! I was going nuts, thinking "That can't really be her hair, it's so thick! My hair looks thicker than hers, and I can't get a braid that doesn't taper like crazy! :cry: "

I'd like to do a crown braid someday, too, without the uneven weight making me walk in circles.

eclecticaurora
May 7th, 2009, 10:56 AM
http://www.tymoshenko.com.ua/eng/photo/?fid=1&recnum=2

Here it shows the back of her head and it looks like it's just a braid wrapped around! Apparently it IS long enough! Cool!

Kiraela
May 7th, 2009, 11:42 AM
I Like the nape bun, but I'm quite partial to the pinned faux crown braid.

I found this on a blog about Ms. Tymoshenko, along with an accompanying picture.

"Because of rampant rumors that the braid was a fake hairpiece, she actually let her hair down during a press conference to defuse this ammunition that political rivals had been using against her campaign"

http://bp1.blogger.com/_o8IYMUN48HY/R7UGupQU8AI/AAAAAAAAB_c/mRhZweoVR-4/s1600-h/2065727_ca8e1306e3_l.jpg (btw, holy crap look at those braid waves!)

And this one, showing her braid from the back: http://cnbceb.com/images/2007/nov/29.jpg

Frankly, the woman has a good thing going! I tried this style and it's incredibly comfortable.

Um. end hijack. Sorry.

AuntyClaus
May 7th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Well, piddle. Now I'm envious, again. She has lovely hair.

florenonite
May 7th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Found this, and I think it's fairly recent.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_o8IYMUN48HY/R7UGupQU8AI/AAAAAAAAB_c/mRhZweoVR-

The link wasn't working properly :S

http://www.tymoshenko.com.ua/eng/photo/?fid=1&recnum=2

Here it shows the back of her head and it looks like it's just a braid wrapped around! Apparently it IS long enough! Cool!

IIRC, she uses false hair in the plait. Her hair just doesn't look long or thick enough otherwise :shrug:

fishwich
May 7th, 2009, 01:16 PM
My braid is about that long and I'm at classic. It's definitely fake hair mixed in with the braid: it is physically impossible for BSL hair with layers to make a braid that long and even.

I did catch myself sneering a little, and it's mentioned that she took the braid out to disprove allegations by her political detractors that her hair is fake--I'm a little ashamed of myself, and of them. It's impossible to ignore how much social baggage gets loaded onto women's hair and hairstyles, but why on earth should her having a fall for the sake of a traditional (and attractive) Russian hairdo be a bad thing?

marialena
May 7th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Girls.. as far as I remember Julia Tymoshenko had always the same updo to her hair. In all of her pictures, recent or older has the same updo, this braid that she wears it round her head.
I would like to see her with another updo or wearing her hear down too. :)

PatGear
May 7th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Girls.. as far as I remember Julia Tymoshenko had always the same updo to her hair. In all of her pictures, recent or older has the same updo, this braid that she wears it round her head.
I would like to see her with another updo or wearing her hear down too. :)Most of the links above don't go to the right place. They are talking about a nape bun she's been sporting recently instead of the coronet braid. Let me try and see if this link works:
http://www.tymoshenko.com.ua/img/photos/9/9329_small.jpg

magpielaura
May 7th, 2009, 03:32 PM
I love that coronet hair braid, and wondered how she managed to do it - you would probably need classic length, hardly tapering hair to get a braid as long and even a that. She did do a press conference proving it was real -

http://www.tymoshenko.com.ua/eng/photo/92/94/

(hope link works!) But sharp-eyed hair-savvy folks will notice it is not the same hair style, and the braid is more of a dutch one, starting above her ear. Onwound, her hair is not that long at all! (by LHC standards anyway) The crown style must use some Extra hair, but I must say it is the most successful and well blended hair piece you will ever see!

magpielaura
May 7th, 2009, 03:35 PM
I just checked the link I posted and noticed the date - 2002! She could have grown a lot more hair between then and now. So ignor everything I said!

chotee
May 7th, 2009, 05:42 PM
I got inspired by her crown braid and has been recently trying with my tail-bone length hair but ofcourse mine is no close to hers...but its very comfortable and keeps me cool on a hot and humid day without having to redo in the middle of the day....my braid comes only half way up and the other half i do a crown french and then combine the two...

Friesiangirl
May 7th, 2009, 06:48 PM
It's so pretty. Some day I hope I'll be able to do a crown braid.

Hayley

Cinnamon Hair
May 7th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Yulia's braided updo is just as beautiful today as it was in the first rendition of this thread (yes, her hair comes up as a topic once every couple years without fail). It was decided long ago that she wears a hairpiece, but I don't think that takes away from the look at all. She is a great example of how elegant and professional long hair can be. I think her crown braid is an awesome trademark!

renarok
May 7th, 2009, 08:36 PM
I have always liked her hair, even though it is 'enhanced'. I think it is offensive of the press to make such an issue of it. She chooses this style because she tries to represent the old fashioned core values of her country. When was the last time a man was asked to prove that his hair was real. There are lots of pretty good rugs being sported by men, and they don't have to explain themselves.

Chromis
May 7th, 2009, 08:46 PM
The nape bun is very sleek though I will admit I too loved her crown braid best.

For what it's worth, I was able to do a false crown just past waist and a really nice one at tailbone. Now my hair is starting to get a bit long for the style!

ravenreed
May 7th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Even if she pads her braid with fake hair to get that thickness, how is that any stranger than people coloring or perming hair? Honestly, other than trying to duplicate it, I don't see it as important. It is a lovely look and I would love to have a hairstyle like that!

jessie58
May 7th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Old hair:
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/jessie58/LHC%202009/uliya_face.jpg

New hair:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/jessie58/LHC%202009/YuliaTymoshenko.jpg

Both photos taken from first link in this thread.

Cassi
May 7th, 2009, 11:07 PM
I have sort of done this with my hair- well, faked it! I make 2 braids behind my ears and flip them on top of my head and pin them. Because there are two overlapping braids it looks decent. My hair is layered so they get really skinny at the ends. I think they are called milk maid braids.

Rhea
May 8th, 2009, 03:48 AM
Yulia's braided updo is just as beautiful today as it was in the first rendition of this thread (yes, her hair comes up as a topic once every couple years without fail). It was decided long ago that she wears a hairpiece, but I don't think that takes away from the look at all. She is a great example of how elegant and professional long hair can be. I think her crown braid is an awesome trademark!
That I can underwrite !

ravenreed
May 8th, 2009, 04:57 AM
I have the same problem and do the same thing! My only other issue is that my hair gets fuzzy in my braids, so I have a little halo effect going on as well. Ah well.

I have sort of done this with my hair- well, faked it! I make 2 braids behind my ears and flip them on top of my head and pin them. Because there are two overlapping braids it looks decent. My hair is layered so they get really skinny at the ends. I think they are called milk maid braids.

Pegasus Marsters
May 8th, 2009, 05:49 AM
Wow, I love how the braid in the press conference where she lets her hair down is so blatantly a completely different style of braid than her usual one. There's obviously at least some fake hair in the usual one... what's wrong with that?

Gothic Lolita
May 8th, 2009, 07:25 AM
I think it's pretty cool that she let her hair down like that, but obviously planned that as she wore a slightly different style! Only LHCer probably notice the difference!

I like both styles, they suit her and make her look very professional and unique. I'd love to be able to wear a decent coronet braid. Might look silly on me but I bet it's cofortable.

florenonite
May 8th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Wow, I love how the braid in the press conference where she lets her hair down is so blatantly a completely different style of braid than her usual one. There's obviously at least some fake hair in the usual one... what's wrong with that?

I don't see why she doesn't just admit that, yeah, she uses fake hair for her plait. Women use that sort of thing all the time, what with hair extensions, etc.

minkstole
May 8th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Why she would have to justify her hairstyle to anyone baffles the mind. Anyhow, as someone stated before, the pictures are from 2002 - maybe girlfriend had a bit of growth?;)

Kiraela
May 8th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Why she would have to justify her hairstyle to anyone baffles the mind. Anyhow, as someone stated before, the pictures are from 2002 - maybe girlfriend had a bit of growth?;)

I was just thinking that - the pictures where the braid started behind her ear were from 2002. More recent pictures show it starting at the back of her head, and wrapping all the way around. Maybe when she first started doing the style, she had to start above her ear, and as it's grown longer, she has been able to move it to the back of her hair.

Let me ask a question. In at least six-seven years, would it be possible to grow long enough to do that on her own(and maintain reasonable thickness)? I would think so... (see Igor) Who knows, maybe she's a longhair like us?

Just a thought.

Also, it seems she only wore the nape bun for the one day - as of yesterday, she was back to the crown braid. again. http://www.tymoshenko.com.ua/img/photos/9/9355_small.jpg

Cassi
May 10th, 2009, 05:26 PM
I totally agree. Why DOES she have to prove it is all real? Isn't the state of the country more important? Haha. No one cares about how Obama (or other male leaders) does his hair.

I also have the problem with my hair getting fuzzy when I sleep. I have considered wearing a silk hair bonnet or scarf at night. Maybe she does this????:confused:

GlennaGirl
May 10th, 2009, 05:58 PM
I totally agree. Why DOES she have to prove it is all real? Isn't the state of the country more important? Haha. No one cares about how Obama (or other male leaders) does his hair.

I totally agree with this. Men wear fake hair all the time. Yes, including politicians. (Especially politicians.) Can anyone here imagine a man being forced to pull at and brush through his hair in a press conference and lift it to show the roots in order to prove it's not a wig...because if it is, he must be a phony and not to be trusted, and the people have a "right" to know this so that they know not to vote for him??

Oh come now.

magpielaura
May 11th, 2009, 04:39 AM
I'm not saying I think that its right that this lady was badgered by the media to prove her braid is real, but a certain amount of interest in the image she chooses to project is to be expected. She is a politician, and you can bet that her choice of traditional hair style had a lot to do with her career. Good for her, use all weapons at your disposal! I admit to knowing nothing about Yulia Tymoshenko's politics or history so if anyone who knows more about her wants to correct me go ahead! All I know is that there are plenty of voters in any country who can't choose between political parties because their policies are similar or they don't know enough about them. These people might be swayed to vote for the sharpest dresser/reliable looking face/ traditional (elegant and amazing!) hairstyle. Daft as it sounds, a country's future could hinge on the grooming choices of its political candidates as how they look will play a part in their success.

Cassi
May 12th, 2009, 12:45 AM
I do see the point magpielaura (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=16683) is making. We as a society do make decisions that may or may not be based on more than a gut feeling. I supposed the braid does make her look more Russian and possibly this is received as being more patriotic?

It doesn't hurt to have a beautiful face and physique to go with the fabulous hair!

I'm sure she is also amazingly intelligent..... she has to be even if you only consider the insane amount of effort she must put into controlling her poparozzi following!

Hey are we in that category? Hahahahaha:eyebrows:

florenonite
May 12th, 2009, 02:20 AM
I do see the point magpielaura (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=16683) is making. We as a society do make decisions that may or may not be based on more than a gut feeling. I supposed the braid does make her look more Russian and possibly this is received as being more patriotic?

I wouldn't think looking Russian would be a good thing in the Ukraine, what with the practical attempted genocide of Ukrainians that happened under the USSR.

katiana
May 12th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I wouldn't think looking Russian would be a good thing in the Ukraine, what with the practical attempted genocide of Ukrainians that happened under the USSR.

Actually, this braid is traditionally Ukrainian :)

GlennaGirl
May 12th, 2009, 03:15 PM
I'm not saying I think that its right that this lady was badgered by the media to prove her braid is real, but a certain amount of interest in the image she chooses to project is to be expected. She is a politician, and you can bet that her choice of traditional hair style had a lot to do with her career. (snip)

Definitely, and she definitely wears it to show national pride, but the fact that she has to pad it to do that still doesn't make it a "weapon" at her disposal or anything. :confused: I mean if I owned nothing that was red, white and blue but I bought a red, white and blue outfit (God forbid, yikes, can we say "70s"?--but you know what I mean) to wear on a political campaign, would that mean the public had a right to investigate whether I'd ever worn red, white and blue before just to make sure I was sincere?

I mean...I'm just not getting that line of reasoning. I mean she inwardly feels national pride and she therefore shows it outwardly. So...? The deception here is.........?

A traditional male American's hairstyle is side-parted, short to mid-length and very neat. Yet many politicians are bald. So they wear rugs. I just DON'T GET how that is fine and not deceptive and not a "ploy" or anything like that, yet this woman padding her braid, is. She's showing national pride by padding the braid to make the complete hairstyle. (And BTW, if even hip-length hair women here are saying they can't make the style, in order for it to be the national hairstyle and for a majority of Ukrainian women to wear it, maybe THEY padded their hair to get it...right?.....not uncommon from the early middle ages onward, frankly.) I just...don't quite get the scandalized tone when people talk about this.

magpielaura
May 12th, 2009, 03:51 PM
I don't think it matters at all that she has probably got a bit of extra hair in there to make the hair style so sucessful. Perhaps weapons was not quite the right word...maybe attibutes? I think I was trying to say that the media etc might be picking at her choice of image as a way of picking at her policies. Her hair as a metaphor for what she stands for? As for male politians with pretend hair....Its almost an admittion that they think they look to old and threadbare for the job! I think intrest in how they look is more about concidering what the individual thinks is important to project than how they achieved it.

(Hmm. It is quite late and now I'm really rambling on. I wonder if I managed to make sense. I'll read it again tommorrow. Good night!)

Cassi
May 12th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Actually, this braid is traditionally Ukrainian :)

Oops. Sorry! I guess I had more the language on my mind (took it in college before the breakup of USSR) more than the fact that she's Ukranian. I need more culture! :poot:

katiana
May 13th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Oops. Sorry! I guess I had more the language on my mind (took it in college before the breakup of USSR) more than the fact that she's Ukranian. I need more culture! :poot:

No apologies!! Many people speak Russian in Ukraine. It is a similar language, yet has it's differences...I speak Russian, my husband is Ukrainian..I actually think Ukrainian is a very beautiful language.
You can also see a lot of Russian folk stories with women with these long braids and hair worn like Yulias. Historically, Kiev was the original capital of Russ...so we have many cultural things in common, no doubt :)

Cassi
May 13th, 2009, 04:22 PM
WOW cool. All I learned in Russian class was the language! Too bad we couldn't have learned more culturally, but it was a time of great change (early 90s). I didn't even know Kiev used to be the capital! One of my instructors was Chinese and said he only knew Mandarin and Russian (so he said) so I did my best just to understand the directions he gave on exams. Whew!

BlackfootHair
May 13th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Very pretty! And how thick! :)

Nyghtingale
May 13th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Very pretty styles.

LadyEliza
May 13th, 2009, 10:05 PM
I'm not sure that the latest pictures are padded or lengthened.

The plait doesn't go around her hairline, it's just a circle around the crown of her head, you don't need as much lenght for that.

And the older photos where she took it down - it's definately in two plaits that are crossed, which is right for that length. If she didn't pad it then, why would she now? She would just wear the two plaits crossed style still.

She is a beautiful woman with lovely hair.

nessthing
May 13th, 2009, 10:12 PM
I wish all politicians looked as cool as she does.

SimplyLonghair
May 13th, 2009, 10:23 PM
I wish that my hair looked that thick, but I do think that it is real and that she has just grown it in the last few years. I think that my hair would be that thick if I were maintaining length for several years too.

Aditi
May 14th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Her hairstyle is so elegant and is perfect with her dressing.

embee
May 14th, 2009, 05:56 AM
She looks lovely, and is an good role model... a capable, beautifully groomed, individually styled woman with (IMHO) excellent taste. I love the braid style *and* that low bun. That dress she's wearing with the low bun, with those pearls at the front, oh that's so pretty.... and in my life I'd have nowhere to wear it, but still.... ;)

Sarahmoon
May 14th, 2009, 08:59 AM
How do you get a braid wrapped around your head to stay up? My hair isn't quite long enough yet but I'm kind of "almost there" and I don't understand how to keep it from sliding down.

florenonite
May 14th, 2009, 09:02 AM
How do you get a braid wrapped around your head to stay up? My hair isn't quite long enough yet but I'm kind of "almost there" and I don't understand how to keep it from sliding down.

Use pins to hold it? That's the only thing I can think of, especially for one around the crown like Tymoshenko wears.

fishwich
May 14th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Combs, actually. Pins work too but a comb or two is more secure.

HairColoredHair
May 14th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Combs, actually. Pins work too but a comb or two is more secure.

I have no problem holding mine up with pins...

What sort of comb are you talking about (I can't picture this).

Kiraela
May 14th, 2009, 07:43 PM
I just use bobby pins to hold mine up. Works fine!