PDA

View Full Version : Shampoo bars and greasy hair

florenonite
May 7th, 2009, 06:48 AM
So I started using a 'poo bar last week, followed by an ACV rinse, and I love it! There's one problem, however, and that is that my hair wants washed every two to three days now.

Before I started using the bar, I was using two parts shampoo, one part condish to wash my hair and it lasted about a week (by that I mean it was a week before it was OMG-so-greasy-must-be-washed-now! not that it was clean for a week :p). When I first started doing this dilution (from using straight shampoo) my washing almost immediately stretched from two to three days to four to five. It stayed like this for a while until I accidentally stretched it to six days and realised it didn't look that bad, so I decided to get to one week, as that has been a goal of mine for years (weird goal, I know). I did use ACV on occasion, and my hair did seem to get greasy by about day 5 when I did so, but I could usually force it towards a week, so I don't think that the ACV is a major problem here.

Essentially, then, I have discovered that reasonably gentle washing leads to less frequent washing for me. I suspect that my scalp is sensitive and therefore overproduces oil if too much is stripped. I've read about people lathering up to three times with 'poo bars, and am wondering if this is what I ought to do. I've lathered either once or twice since using them, as I'm wary of stripping my hair too much in case it has the reverse effect of what I want.

What would you lot recommend I try?

Flaxen
May 7th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Try lathering three times for one shampoo. That shouldn't dry out your hair, and you'll probably get an idea very quickly as to whether or not it's going to help stretch your washes again.

amaiaisabella
May 7th, 2009, 08:21 AM
I've been using my first shampoo bar (LUSH's Godiva) for the first time, and I notice the opposite- it actually stretches out my washings. I don't do an ACV rinse after, just a bit of conditioner as a leave-in on my length. I'm on Day 4 and the hair still looks great, but has begun parting weirdly in the back since I have a dreaded cowlick, so it's up in a ponytail until I wash tomorrow :)

Maybe you can try the shampoo bar solo, or with conditioner after? It might not be the shampoo bar solely, but rather the combination of that plus the ACV? I have read that some bars pretty much require an ACV rince afterwards, so other than that, I'm fresh out of ideas.

florenonite
May 7th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Try lathering three times for one shampoo. That shouldn't dry out your hair, and you'll probably get an idea very quickly as to whether or not it's going to help stretch your washes again.

I suppose I ought to try that. It'll take ages, though :p (I tend to take short showers, and already hair takes up the bulk of the time).

I've been using my first shampoo bar (LUSH's Godiva) for the first time, and I notice the opposite- it actually stretches out my washings. I don't do an ACV rinse after, just a bit of conditioner as a leave-in on my length. I'm on Day 4 and the hair still looks great, but has begun parting weirdly in the back since I have a dreaded cowlick, so it's up in a ponytail until I wash tomorrow :)

Maybe you can try the shampoo bar solo, or with conditioner after? It might not be the shampoo bar solely, but rather the combination of that plus the ACV? I have read that some bars pretty much require an ACV rince afterwards, so other than that, I'm fresh out of ideas.

That could be put down to the fact that Lush's bars have SLS, so they cleanse like ordinary shampoos :shrug:

I do need the ACV, because I can feel my hair's matted (at the top, too, where I can't use condish) before I use it.

amaiaisabella
May 7th, 2009, 10:53 AM
I wasn't sure which kind of shampoo bar you used (one with SLS or not), but thinking on it- could you try regular vineagar (diluted with water) instead of ACV? Maybe it'd be a bit more clarifying and help stretch out your wash.

swirlytresses
May 7th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Do you use Organic ACV? I don't know if it would make a difference. I recently used some organic ACV and I can tell a difference from the cheap stuff I had used before. I also mix my ACV with honey (or agave nectar) and really like this combo. Don't know if this helps any :shrug:.

florenonite
May 7th, 2009, 11:30 AM
I wasn't sure which kind of shampoo bar you used (one with SLS or not), but thinking on it- could you try regular vineagar (diluted with water) instead of ACV? Maybe it'd be a bit more clarifying and help stretch out your wash.

The only regular stuff we have in the house is malt, and I don't know what that would do to the colour of my hair.

Do you use Organic ACV? I don't know if it would make a difference. I recently used some organic ACV and I can tell a difference from the cheap stuff I had used before. I also mix my ACV with honey (or agave nectar) and really like this combo. Don't know if this helps any :shrug:.

Ooh, honey might be worth a try. I used to use Organic stuff and then decided to just go for some cheap own-brand stuff and haven't noticed a difference, other than in price :p

myotislucifugus
May 7th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Thank God, there is someone else out there like me...
I love shampoo bars, they make my hair feel like silk, but I can't go more than a 2-3 days without washing, wheras I could go a week with harsh commercial shampoos.
To be honest, I haven't found anything to help stretch shampoos. I've been using CV bars for a few months, and I'm hoping my scalp will adjust, but I don't think it will.

Now I just do scalp washes every other day or so, and leave my length alone. So far, so good.

Moonstruck
May 7th, 2009, 12:43 PM
I remember a few people mentioning this on the shampoo bar thread, so perhaps give this a try?
Apparently, if you rub the bar directly on your hair, it tends to get greasy faster. If you instead make a lather between your hands or with a pouf, and apply the suds to your hair, it helps to make it last longer. I'd imagine it's like diluting normal liquid shampoo, right?

I've never tried it myself though, so don't quote me on it, haha.

florenonite
May 7th, 2009, 12:48 PM
I remember a few people mentioning this on the shampoo bar thread, so perhaps give this a try?
Apparently, if you rub the bar directly on your hair, it tends to get greasy faster. If you instead make a lather between your hands or with a pouf, and apply the suds to your hair, it helps to make it last longer. I'd imagine it's like diluting normal liquid shampoo, right?

I've never tried it myself though, so don't quote me on it, haha.

I could try it, though I have no idea how I could come up with enough lather through just rubbing it between my hands - I don't get much and my hair's thick.

florenonite
May 18th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Yesterday morning I was in a rush and forgot about the ACV rinse, and now, the following evening, my hair still feels squeaky-clean, whereas with the ACV rinse it was starting to get noticeably greasy by this time. I also recall that using ACV with normal shampoo led to it getting greasy faster.

However, my hair really is much nicer with the ACV rinse, yesterday when it was wet it felt a bit gummy, like it feels when I've been swimming in a chlorinated pool. So I'm wondering how to close the cuticle without making my hair greasy. Could I maybe soak the length in ACV (as it's moisturising) and then pour diluted lemon juice on the scalp? Or perhaps just use a cold water rinse?

lora410
May 18th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Please keep in mind that shampoos have harsh detergents that strip away the hair and scalp oil. And SLS free bars are not meant to strip away hairs natural oil ,which can leave you greasy faster. Also I found white vinager will help a bit with that. I don't knwo why but ACV always gave me the greasys after a day or 2 with poo bars and the white vinage rhelped stretch it out. You do need an acid rinse even if it is lemon juice diluted to close the cuticle.

Ksears4
January 13th, 2014, 06:32 PM
I need some help with this sort of problem. I recently started using CV shampoo bar and an acv with distiller water rinse after (because I have hard water). My roots and bangs look great, but the back of my hair is a greasy mess. What's going on? Is it just not getting clean you think, or am I not using the shampoo bar correctly? I love the idea of the shampoo bar, but the back of my hair is all greasy and stuck together, gross.

sumidha
January 13th, 2014, 08:15 PM
I'd suggest playing around with different acidic rinses. Any type of vinegar, lemon juice or citric acid, or any combination, might yield better results.